Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just been watching it. Take That‘s first TOTP appearance with It Only Takes A Minute. It’s mad to think they were a “flop act“ at the beginning, their first 3 singles didn’t reach the top 40!
Do What U Like....what a video. I think it got to number 87 or something :eek:

Why did Jason Orange leave Take That? Is there tea there, or did he just want a quiet life with all the money he earned (early retirement effectively)?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Why did Jason Orange leave Take That? Is there tea there, or did he just want a quiet life with all the money he earned (early retirement effectively)?
I think he just wasn’t arsed being part of the fame machine anymore. He had enough money and just didn’t want to tour again. Also got the vibe that he struggles with mental health. It’s weird that he seems to have completely cut contact with the others when previously they were close. I hope he’s happy but I’m not sure he is TBH.

Haha, it’s really something isn’t it! I can’t believe Once You’ve Tasted Love wasn’t a hit, it was such a banger.

I think he just wasn’t arsed being part of the fame machine anymore. He had enough money and just didn’t want to tour again. Also got the vibe that he struggles with mental health. It’s weird that he seems to have completely cut contact with the others when previously they were close. I hope he’s happy but I’m not sure he is TBH.
Ugh, poor guy, I really hope he’s happy, it’s good that he walked away from it and put himself first.
I might be wrong but I thought it was also because he was the only one who wasn’t part of the tax-dodging scheme?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
What did y'all think of One True Voice?

I‘m a Girls Aloud fan so, I’m still instinctively against them! “Buy Girls, Bye Boys”! 🤣

Seriously though, they were so bland. Just thinking about early Take That, you realise that boybands can be fun, and these guys just weren’t.

Reactions: 5
I‘m a Girls Aloud fan so, I’m still instinctively against them! “Buy Girls, Bye Boys”! 🤣

Seriously though, they were so bland. Just thinking about early Take That, you realise that boybands can be fun, and these guys just weren’t.
Yep. They were strong singers individually, but lacked charisma and just didn't gel as a unit. The material they were given was poor and dated. Agree there was no fun about them.

In terms of what they're up to...
Daniel auditioned for X Factor and did some tracks with Dizzee Rascal.
Keith auditioned for American Idol and got pretty far, although not to the live shows I think.
Anton haven't a clue, he sold a kiss and tell on Javine Hylton.
Matt auditioned for the X Factor too.
Jamie haven't a clue, I do remember reading an interview where he seemed very sad and bitter about the failure of OTV, he was very young at the time.

Reactions: 2
Speaking of Take That, Mark Owen’s song Four Minute Warning is a proper banger!

I loved this song!!! Also loved Child and Clementine

I can't remember if we mentioned Hepburn already on the thread, the lead singer (Jamie?) also tried a solo career

Curve were once the darlings of the NME Indie press. They had some minor success but that’s it. They were always a bit too alternative to be regarded as pop.

Toni Halliday the singer was Elite Hot though.
Man alive she was BEAUTIFUL. Allegedly their climb was punctured by the advent of Garbage and possible over fondness of drugs by Ms Halliday.

I love “Doppelganger” - it’s one of my all time favourite albums… “Come Clean” was good to and “Chinese Burn” absolutely banged, but yeah, they had so much promise and - pfffffff

Two indie bands that never really made it either were Powder and Geneva
Geneva - “Into the Blue” is beautiful but as they’re originally from Aberdeen (my home town) obviously they were destined to fail 😁

As for Powder - well Pearl Lowe wasn’t just fond of the drugs, she was hardcore addicted and that’s what sunk the band. They had absolutely everything going for them but if you’re a fucked up (female) liability there’s only so much that’ll be tolerated.

Follow me for more Britpop/00s indie snippets 😃

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I loved Geneva’s first album!

Also fell down a YouTube rabbit hole of 90s indie bands recently. Geneva’s Tranquilizer followed by Come Back To What You Know by Embrace. The comments were so funny. “Never before has a lead singer’s voice sounded so tit but so epic at the same time” 🤣

Ugh, poor guy, I really hope he’s happy, it’s good that he walked away from it and put himself first.
I might be wrong but I thought it was also because he was the only one who wasn’t part of the tax-dodging scheme?
That’s true IIRC. Although if you listen to Gary’s version of events, he didn’t really think about the morality of it and was simply advised that said scheme was a way to save money. Not excusing it but I’m not surprised that they went for it.

Last edited:

That’s the one where they were chucking trifles at each other wasn’t it? And they were wearing slightly kinky looking/homo-erotic black leather or black pvc outfits (iirc?).

Reactions: 3
Who remembers the girl band formed of the rejected girls aloud crew? Their song was ok if i remember correctly

Reactions: 1
Does anyone remember Amy Studt? I remember my tortured teenage self writing to her about being bullied and she actually wrote me a lovely letter back!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Who remembers the girl band formed of the rejected girls aloud crew? Their song was ok if i remember correctly
Clea, Download It, it was a good song but didn't do well... i don't remember the follow ups.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone remember Amy Studt? I remember my tortured teenage self writing to her about being bullied and she actually wrote me a lovely letter back!

I really liked her, what a babe for writing back! 💕

• Heart
Amy Studts album ‘False Smiles’ was great. I adored ‘Ladder in my Tights’

• Heart
Amy Studts album ‘False Smiles’ was great. I adored ‘Ladder in my Tights’
It really was a great album, I’d still happily listen to it now.

Loving this thread and all the throwbacks! 😍

This video from Phixx is fair cheesy, makes me laugh... They turn into vampires, satanic stuff...

• Haha
Reactions: 6