Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I grew up in the 90s/00s and was an avid consumer of: Smash Hits, TOTP and TV Hits magazines, The Chart Show, Live and Kicking, CD:UK and many other pop shows... i remember loads of pop acts that were heavily marketed but never succeeded, releasing a single or two and if they were lucky an album...then the news would come through of the dreaded D... DROPPED.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread for memories of such acts, links to their videos and maybe updates on what they're doing now.

I'll start the ball rolling with Upside Down. A fly on the wall documentary charted their creation. The 2 singles I remember were both shameless rip offs of Careless Whisper and Pray (the latter down to a shirtless beach video). They were rebranded to Orange Orange but I think the single struggled to make the top 80 and that was the end of them.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
God weren’t they tit? They were so ordinary looking and bleeping terrible singers, even the singing on actual tracks is out of tune 😂

What about Girl Thing? Blatant Spice Girls rip off. I believe Simon Cowell was behind them (after he’d rejected the Spice Girls)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
God weren’t they tit? They were so ordinary looking and bleeping terrible singers, even the singing on actual tracks is out of tune 😂

What about Girl Thing? Blatant Spice Girls rip off. I believe Simon Cowell was behind them (after he’d rejected the Spice Girls)
Yep Girl Thing were awful, hyped beyond belief before first single release.

Reactions: 7
Yep Girl Thing were awful, hyped beyond belief before first single release.
They were on the second series of The Big Reunion and they said they’d been told they would go straight in at number one with their first single. They had so much money behind them and it backfired.

Reactions: 5
Haha I’d forgotten about those boys and their crappy Careless Whisper rip off 😂 But I thought the blond one, main singer iirc, was cute, lol!

I also remember A1, 911, The Honeyz, Worlds Apart, and I’m sure a few more will come to mind shortly…

Reactions: 11
I vaguely remember two bands..
Five Star and Cleopatra. I think Five Star did have a few hits though. Not sure if Cleopatra were one hit wonders.

Reactions: 9
I don't expect anyone to know this but Those2Girls, total failure, only one single back in 1995, I was GIVEN
a copy when I was at delivering to BMG.

Five Star and Cleopatra. I think Five Star did have a few hits though. Not sure if Cleopatra were one hit wonders.
Five Star a flop?? are you kidding?

What about Clea? They were the girls from Popstars The Rivals who didn’t get into Girls Aloud They had a song called ‘Download It’.

• Haha
  • Heart
I don't expect anyone to know this but Those2Girls, total failure, only one single back in 1995, I was GIVEN
a copy when I was at delivering to BMG.
Wasn’t Denise Van Outen in Those 2 Girls?

Reactions: 9
Cleopatra comin’ at ya! Loved that song 🤣

I also loved A1 and really fancied the one with the curtains 🙈

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I loved Five Star, I still listen to them semi regularly to this day! ‘System Addict’ and ‘The Slightest Touch’ were/are banging tunes!

When I was little I thought they were cousins of the Jacksons 🤣

Cleopatra comin’ at ya! Loved that song 🤣

I also loved A1 and really fancied the one with the curtains 🙈
Haha I fancied him too!

What about daphne and celeste they were one hit wonders
Yes, omg I felt sorry for them that time they played at a festival and the crowd totally abused them and ran them off!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
In terms of being hyped as the new Jackson five they were flops
Really? I don't remember that bit, I do remember that TV show which featured their luxury lifestyle
which put me off for them, what happens when the money runs out I asked myself. We all found out
later when they were forced to sell the house and hand back the cars.

Reactions: 1
I think Cleopatra had a few songs although I can only hum the "Comin At Ya" one. I remember them having their own tv show too, which was pretty poor.

What about Clea? They were the girls from Popstars The Rivals who didn’t get into Girls Aloud They had a song called ‘Download It’.

Yes, I liked this song, it wasn't amazing but not a bad effort, shame it flopped. Can't remember their other songs.

Remember the other band that formed from Popstars, Phixx (from the guys who didn't get into One True Voice)? They were soooo cheesy and their image was a bit homoerotic, some of them have turned up since then as contestants on other reality shows. (Nikk on X Factor, Peter on The Voice of Ireland)

Going back to 1990, I recall Yell, a blond duo of men who covered Instant Replay by Dan Hartman, from the 70s. They only had that one hit as far as I know. I recall some showbiz tabloid journo writing of how he slagged them off and calling them.'bimbos' and revealed one of them was 32 and not 23 as he had claimed. He said the one whose age he'd revealed had been shouting and raving after his article, crying 'I'm no bimbo' and he, the journo, credited himself with ending their career and said he was proud of that.

• Haha
  • Wow
All the Jackson/ 5 star talk has reminded me of the band V who did a truly awful cover of can you feel it.

Anyone remember North and South, think they had a bbc kids show? I just remember a friends wall plastered with pics.

Excellent thread idea 😘

Reactions: 20