Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else remember Keith Duffy and Shane Lynch's cover of "Girl You Know it's True" after Boyzone broke up? It got to number 36...

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Donna Air was in a two piece girl group. Can't remember what it was called but they had one some called Jellybean.

Edited: it was actually Jellyhead and the group was called Crush. Thank you Google 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
She's not, by any means, a flop in her own genre (shes one of the most celebrated folk singers of her generation), but Kate Rusby has never had what you might call mainstream success.

Except this duet with Ronan Keating, which I quite like, and which got to number 6.

A few more Irish ones:

Zoo - boyband with another one of the Kaneswaren brothers

Six - created from the Irish version of Popstars tv show, only lasted 2 singles

Fifth Avenue - mixed gender group around 2002, they had a song called Spanish Eyes, I don't recall them being launched in the UK
I still sing a few Six songs to this day 😂

Reactions: 1

This delight was just on one of the MTV channels. I forgot she had a pop career

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Matt Willis from busted had a bit of a crap solo career. He was tipped to be the next Robbie Williams bit released an album and a few singles which weren't massively successful
I loved his album when I was 18! 😂 Hey kid was a bop! But yeah commercially it was a flop, even winning I'm a celeb didn't help sales!

That reminds me James Bourne's band Son of Dork! Again, I actually really loved the album as a teenager, but it was clearly a rebound band for James who couldn't get over busted's split!

Reactions: 1
I would like to thank whoever brought up Point Break. I loved them, especially Ollie 😍
I was 15 when Freakytime came out and had no idea what the lyrics meant but I imagined Ollie singing them just to me. And him serenading me with You.
So yes, huge thank you. I've had their hits blaring on my house speaker system, much to Mr Odd Sock's disdain 😂 (and I'm still dreaming about Ollie, hope he's aged well 😊)

Reactions: 4
I would like to thank whoever brought up Point Break. I loved them, especially Ollie 😍
I was 15 when Freakytime came out and had no idea what the lyrics meant but I imagined Ollie singing them just to me. And him serenading me with You.
So yes, huge thank you. I've had their hits blaring on my house speaker system, much to Mr Odd Sock's disdain 😂 (and I'm still dreaming about Ollie, hope he's aged well 😊)
Been revisiting my "old pop songs" playlist, and Point Break's "What About Us" has had me in tears. That and "You" are simply amazing songs ♥ Declan Bennett has an amazing voice ♥

Been revisiting my "old pop songs" playlist, and Point Break's "What About Us" has had me in tears. That and "You" are simply amazing songs ♥ Declan Bennett has an amazing voice ♥
I cannot believe that I was an avid Eastenders fan and didn't "cotton on" that it was him playing Charlie Cotton 😱

• Haha
That was me 😍 I wasn’t a huge huge fan but was on my boyband radar.

If you don't already, I would recommend following an Insta account called thepopmachinehq they have loads (and I mean LOADS) of issues of Smash Hits on there - although it's a bugger to read it's really nostalgic.

and bloody hell, as discussed before, they really tried to make Girl Thing a thing!

Reactions: 7
If you don't already, I would recommend following an Insta account called thepopmachinehq they have loads (and I mean LOADS) of issues of Smash Hits on there - although it's a bugger to read it's really nostalgic.

and bloody hell, as discussed before, they really tried to make Girl Thing a thing!
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely have a look at this, I loved Smash Hits. Girl Thing even got a Smash Hits cover as part of their massive promo push to get Last One Standing to Number One!

Did anyone see Girl Thing on The Big Reunion? Linzi came across as....difficult. She auditioned a year later for X Factor but didn't get through, poor singer.

Yes I follow him! The magazine's are so fun to look at!

Simon Cowell had absolutely no idea what he was doing when it came to girl bands 🤣 The girls he chose for that band (maybe excluding Jodie Albert) were just awful! No talent/charisma/looks just so bland!

Did anyone see Girl Thing on The Big Reunion? Linzi came across as....difficult. She auditioned a year later for X Factor but didn't get through, poor singer.
yes!! i remember it being quite sad to see how jodi (who was obviously the “star”) had gone onto have a fairly charmed life still and then the disconnect between her and the others. it sounded like they were fully expecting to be, and were told, that they were the next big thing and linzi in particular struggled when that didn’t happen.

the big reunion was always interesting to me in seeing how the pop machine works and what an isolating and unreal life it is - and then how much most of them struggled when they weren’t “it” anymore.

Reactions: 5
Yes I follow him! The magazine's are so fun to look at!

Simon Cowell had absolutely no idea what he was doing when it came to girl bands 🤣 The girls he chose for that band (maybe excluding Jodie Albert) were just awful! No talent/charisma/looks just so bland!
I actually preferred the follow up single, Girls on Top, to Last One Standing. GOT failed to make the top 20, it wasn't a great song but I maintain it was better than LOS which was poor in my opinion

yes!! i remember it being quite sad to see how jodi (who was obviously the “star”) had gone onto have a fairly charmed life still and then the disconnect between her and the others. it sounded like they were fully expecting to be, and were told, that they were the next big thing and linzi in particular struggled when that didn’t happen.

the big reunion was always interesting to me in seeing how the pop machine works and what an isolating and unreal life it is - and then how much most of them struggled when they weren’t “it” anymore.
Yes, I enjoyed TBR, especially season 1. The girl in California (Nikki?) seemed to be doing well too financially and personally - remember she had serious beef with Linzi and Annika (the Dutch girl who was mates with Linzi), a physical fight was mentioned as having happened in the band days.

Linzi's story was interesting as you say, it didn't work out for her and she struggled to accept it and move on with her life and was living in the same apparently poor area she grew up in. She was also very bitter about not getting writing credits or royalties from Pure and Simple by Hear'Say, although I wondered was she exaggerating her contribution to get some glory and vindication.

Some background from wiki: "The song was co-written by Pete Kirtley, Tim Hawes and Betty Boo (under her real name of Alison Clarkson); however, nearly 14 years after the song was released, Linzi Martin of the band Girl Thing made the assertion that she was responsible for the majority of the song's composition, having written the verses after Pete Kirtley (her then boyfriend) had brought the chorus of the track to her as a gift. In the 2014 series of The Big Reunion, other members of the band including Michelle Barber recall the band being present and contributing to the song, but none received credit as co-writers. Girl Thing then found out, after the song was written, that their manager Chris Herbert (who also managed Hear'Say) had given the song to the newer band as their debut single, an act that upset Girl Thing.[1] Band member Nikki Stuart described the incident as "digging the knife in."

Oh my, having a look at that Insta and I actually remember most of the covers!!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
This thread is the best. I was always such a massive music nerd, from Take That and Smash Hits through the 90s, straight onto music TV, Melody Maker/NME into the late 90s and early 00s.

I was also at Reading festival 2000!

I swear the majority of my brain is taken up with song lyrics and useless trivia. Nothing useful. My poor brain 🤣

Anyone else been loving the TOTP re-runs on iPlayer? They’re up to 1992 right now and it’s amazing!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Anyone else been loving the TOTP re-runs on iPlayer? They’re up to 1992 right now and it’s amazing!
I’ve just been watching it. Take That‘s first TOTP appearance with It Only Takes A Minute. It’s mad to think they were a “flop act“ at the beginning, their first 3 singles didn’t reach the top 40!