Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Eagle Eye Cherry
Brother of nenah uncle of Mabel

Yep, that's the intention of this thread, flop acts

Lucie Silvas never really took off. Although I've just read her wikipedia article and she has written a lot of songs for other artists and is still working in the music industry.

I remember 21st Century Girls, they were kind of rocky and different from the other RnB-ish girl groups out at the time and there was a huge publicity push on them at the time but the single flopped and that was the end of them I think
Lucie has a great voice

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Remember Rik Waller from Pop Idol? He did a cover of I Will Always Love You which reached no 7.

Reactions: 3
I think about him all the time! I think he’s an exam invigilator now!
I just googled him, not a load of info online about recent activity - can't see him on IG or FB. It mentions the exam invigilator job.
I remember I thought it was a bit suspicious that he 'pulled out of Pop Idol because of laryngitis' and felt that he had been paid off as Cowell was afraid he was going to win the show.

I prefer to remain in denial this happened 🥴
It was a poor cover. He also had a bland version of Something Inside So Strong. I remember reading that Jade Goody was mean to him on Back to Reality but didn't see it....

i was sure there used to be 4 of them!
There was 4 - Tara left the band after a few singles and the remaining girls continued as a trio.

Does anyone remember on Popstars (the Hear'Say season) there was a girl called Claire, she was a larger lady and they made an issue of it on the show - she released a single called 'Free' which made top 50

Last edited:
21st Century Girls started out as a punk band called She Devil. They appeared on kids' TV in this guise once, possibly on Blue Peter.

Reactions: 1
21st Century Girls started out as a punk band called She Devil. They appeared on kids' TV in this guise once, possibly on Blue Peter.
Didn't know that. Did a record company get on board and rebrand them? I only remember their 1st single, don't know if they got dropped before the 2nd.

Just remembered Alizee was a flop act in UK but huge in France and still is. So doesn't really fit in this thread in a global sense - thought I'd mention her as I really liked her first album. Moi Lolita (love this tune) made top 20 in UK which isn't bad for a French artist, but not good enough for her to try establish herself here in UK.

Reactions: 3
I used to get Alizee mixed up with that one-hit wonder Lumidee, who sang that "Uh Oh" song.

I assumed a record company gave 20th Century Girls their makeover. There was talk of an album, no idea whether it exists or not.

I just googled him, not a load of info online about recent activity - can't see him on IG or FB. It mentions the exam invigilator job.
I remember I thought it was a bit suspicious that he 'pulled out of Pop Idol because of laryngitis' and felt that he had been paid off as Cowell was afraid he was going to win the show.

It was a poor cover. He also had a bland version of Something Inside So Strong. I remember reading that Jade Goody was mean to him on Back to Reality but didn't see it....

There was 4 - Tara left the band after a few singles and the remaining girls continued as a trio.

Does anyone remember on Popstars (the Hear'Say season) there was a girl called Claire, she was a larger lady and they made an issue of it on the show - she released a single called 'Free' which made top 50
Yes! She had a pink cowboy hat I remember! She said something like 'they only want skinny gals!'. She wasn't even that big FFS!

Ahhh A-Teens! My sister used to play that song on heavy rotation for a few months. Love how the boys were just deco, I don’t think they sang at all.

Reactions: 1
I LOVED Flip Reverse! And also liked the band that formed out of Blazin Squad remnants - Friday Hill 'Baby Goodbye'
Baby goodbye was actually decent! I remember they played it on a loop in a pizza hut back in 2005 and now always think of pizza hut when I hear it 😅

Was about to add it to my Spotify, but they don't have it! Travesty!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I didn’t know about this! WHY DIDN’T I KNOW ABOUT THIS?😂 The got me at “Crossroads”
Flip Reverse is so good, they did a really cool TOTP performance where they marched around BBC TV centre in their hoodies then entered the TOTP studios to perform it. Maybe it's on youtube

Seeing Girl Thing here just reminds me how much pop music moved so quickly in the 90s.

Girl Thing’s video clearly ripped off the Spice Girls, like others have said, but they had nothing else in common with them (apart from being a five piece girl band). Girl Thing’s music and choreography is so like Backstreet Boys, Britney, Billie Piper, etc.

The Spice Girls music was more inspired by early-mid 90s r&b, as well as pop, and Girl Thing were Millennial Euro-pop. I love both musical styles, but it’s just so interesting how quickly music moved in the 90s.

Zhané are a great example of who influenced the Spice Girls, Mel B loved them, and you can really hear it in the album track “Something Kinda Funny”.

Long story short, mid-90s music and late-90s music was so different! 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 5