Father of Daughters #51 Stop trying to make Clemmie happen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Surely these mama brands will be next to go after the death of the Insta mama? The girls are now advertising frozen fish and sex tips websites, no one is being shamed or guilted into buying the £50 puddlesuits they’re flogging anymore.

That price point for clothes that’ll be worn for a few hours x a few days before they’re up in the next size is actual insanity when there are such a good resale communities for quality kids clothes on Insta & Fb & even vinted! We’re not on a tight budget but I’m also not thick as tit, like who is buying this crap in the 0.001% engagement rate era?
I can’t remember if I said but I messaged the one who sent the personalised hats and she blocked me 🙄

You’re so right with products like these. I bought my son’s snowsuit secondhand (supermarket brand) It was in top condition and we got 3 winters out of it. It was still in very good condition when I passed it on to another friend.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I can’t remember if I said but I messaged the one who sent the personalised hats and she blocked me 🙄
She was showing off a load of new orders for hats and jumpers and thanking FOD and the twins.

Lots more kids will be wearing their names for all to see.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
That price point for clothes that’ll be worn for a few hours x a few days before they’re up in the next size is actual insanity when there are such a good resale communities for quality kids clothes on Insta & Fb & even vinted! We’re not on a tight budget but I’m also not thick as tit, like who is buying this crap in the 0.001% engagement rate era?
I associate all in one puddlesuits with toddlers and pre-schoolers. I wouldn't have found them very practical for older children. Waterproof lightweight over trousers are more flexible and should last a bit longer with a growing child.

With an over layer (puddlesuit or trousers) it can be taken off and stashed in a bag before the car journey home. No need to be cleaning a 'metric tonne' of mud out of the car as he says he doesn't like doing. More comfortable for the child too I'm sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The walk sounds utterly joyless. Imagine doing the same crappy, scrubby bit of woodland every weekend. duck that.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
The walk sounds utterly joyless. Imagine doing the same crappy, scrubby bit of woodland every weekend. duck that.
Yeah I’m not sure why they feel the need to go on these awful walks when there are so many better places to walk around Thanet which are not muddy! I know as I have a couple of toddlers and 3 dogs to keep clean 😭😂

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yeah I’m not sure why they feel the need to go on these awful walks when there are so many better places to walk around Thanet which are not muddy! I know as I have a couple of toddlers and 3 dogs to keep clean 😭😂
Maybe he called the waterproof overalls company and said give me a freebie and I’ll big up the muddy walks 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Especially with "the kids fighting it at every turn", hardly surprising if they're doing the same routine every weekend (if we're to believe what he says, which I'm not sure I do).

Covid restrictions notwithstanding, are day trips to the continent not "instagram cool"? Obviously everyone's different but for me one of the benefits of living where they do, would be the ease of hopping across the channel for the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Especially with "the kids fighting it at every turn", hardly surprising if they're doing the same routine every weekend (if we're to believe what he says, which I'm not sure I do).

Covid restrictions notwithstanding, are day trips to the continent not "instagram cool"? Obviously everyone's different but for me one of the benefits of living where they do, would be the ease of hopping across the channel for the day.
Funnily enough our eldest two hated going on long walks. It was on those days, I seriously considered my life choices 🙈

So guess what, we stopped doing them and would find a shorter walk that would include a playpark and an ice cream van and everyone was happy.

The wee one however would walk for miles, sing and dance and loved it... who says you can't have favourites 🤣🙈 although him now being a tween... 😣

• Haha
  • Heart
If you haven't seen the one-star reviews for Clemmie's book for a while, it's worth having a look, there are lots of new ones in the last year or two. Here are a couple that stood out for me. In particular: "It’s truly worrying that this woman is a midwife and that she is out there practising what she has written in the book."

Hopefully this link works, it should hopefully be the reviews filtered to one-stars with most recent first:

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
If you haven't seen the one-star reviews for Clemmie's book for a while, it's worth having a look, there are lots of new ones in the last year or two. Here are a couple that stood out for me. In particular: "It’s truly worrying that this woman is a midwife and that she is out there practising what she has written in the book."

Hopefully this link works, it should hopefully be the reviews filtered to one-stars with most recent first:
Wow, those are so awful. I didn't read any pregnancy books, go to any pregnancy classes (attended my midwife appts though! Hated every one!) but after 6 cycles of IVF, multiple miscarriages, this is the exact kind of person I feared I'd encounter. Not a clue about how hard conceiving can be, how terrifying pregnancy can be, how awful it is to give birth to a premature child. A miracle happened and I had another baby after all of that and gave birth naturally with a midwife and no pain relief - because she ignored EVERYTHING I SAID and treated me like I was a cry baby. The whole experience was terrifying and awful and I would never, ever, ever let her be my midwife again. Not sure what my point is, this tit just boiled my blood right out of it's pot.

• Heart
A few other quotes:

1."I got a buzz from buying something in a size 10 rather than XXXL". And lots more choice phrases where that came from. Really disappointed that a midwife of all people has written a body shaming and sexist book that is meant to be ‘humourous’ but is actually quite damaging.

2.My sister bought me this book as a gift when I announced my pregnancy. Looking at the book, it's appearance is quite appealing. And the fact that the author is – or was – a midwife with four children of her own gave me the impression that she must be experienced in all things pregnancy and labour related and have a lot of information and knowledge to share. But I soon found out that this wasn't a week-by-week pregnancy book that I could really rely on, and it left me disappointed chapter after chapter knowing I would have to wait 2 or 4 or up to 6 weeks to be able to relate to the next stage of pregnancy that the author decided to highlight. It was one of the reasons why I put the book down so many times. During your pregnancy, there is something interesting happening every single week, and it seemed that I learned more about what was happening to my body and my growing baby by using a free pregnancy app over this book, which is says a lot really. The author's views are old-fashioned in some ways and the use of shaming language in regards to women's bodies during and after pregnancy threw me off a little too; it just didn't sound all that professional. There was a lot I didn't necessarily agree with, that made me cringe and overall question if the author was truly a midwife. So I decided to research the author's name and WOW! Let's just say it revealed the author to be someone who I would NEVER personally buy a book from or support their business. I chose not to read the rest of it and since then I have purchased other pregnancy books and found them to be much more informative, insightful and incredibly empowering in every single aspect of pregnancy, labour and the journey afterward. I’m just glad this was gift and not a purchase of my own. And knowing all that I know about the author, it doesn’t feel right keeping it, passing it on or recommending it to other mums-to-be. So, it’s the bin for this one I’m afraid.

I was so disappointed with this book. We are starting to think about trying for a baby sometime within the next year or two and I bought this with the hope that it would provide some solid advice for a first time parent to be. However, the book is laid out more like a magazine than a book; the articles within are all light and with no real depth to them. A lot of the content feels like filler to pad the book out (e.g., recipes, large illustrations etc) and I was disappointed that I learned pretty much nothing I didn't know already (which is not a lot considering this is only the second book on pregnancy I've bought).
The thing that disappointed me the most was the subtle sexist and body-shaming undertones that snuck in throughout the book. Some examples:
- Apparently a 'plus point' of pregnancy is that you don't have to worry about holding in your tummy anymore
- In the same section it talked about pregnancy being a great excuse to 'convince your partner you need new threads' (I'm an adult woman with a career; I do not need my husband's permission to buy new clothes, especially if I am growing a baby and no longer fit in my usual clothes!)
- In the section about finding out the sex of the baby it talks about gendered clothes being a plus and a minus of finding out the sex (e.g., you can buy the 'right' colour ahead of time, or you can reuse white and yellow clothes for a future baby if you don't find out ahead of time). It never considers that maybe the woman does not want to enforce gender norms on their unborn child and doesn't give a toss about buying gendered clothes for their child even if they do know the sex ahead of time.
- In the top tips for partners it says that men should consider making a meal once a week! Weekly?! They should be doing their fair share of the housework normally, let alone when their partner is growing a baby inside them.
-In the same section it suggests men should do a bit more round the house and that they should do that because the benefit is that your partner doesn't whinge at you! How about men should be doing their share because THEY LIVE THERE AND ARE FULLY GROWN ADULTS, not because they won't get whinged at.
- Some body hair shaming content; "you've probably not even had a basic wax in months". Stop making removing all your body hair through a painful procedure the 'norm'.
- Women put weight on their back, abdomen and thighs; "the places us women are always trying to shift it from". Fat shaming isn't fun to read, especially in regards to pregnancy!
- Apparently an essential is to take a mirror in your hospital bag for the purposes of, and I quote, "check your reflection before in-laws arrive". Who gives a damn what you look like when you've just had a baby? If your in laws care then that's their problem, not yours!
- More body shaming: you should have a pedicure so that when you look down you're looking at your toes and not your "saggy belly".
And finally the last bit of body shaming: That with a bit of time and work your post baby body will "eventually look marginally more acceptable". Because apparently fat or not-toned bodies are not acceptable to this author. Good to know.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
That number 3 review is the stuff of legends, maybe the best review I've ever seen on Amazon. It has 549 upvotes!

The examples they've given are absolutely jaw-dropping, and not in a good way.

Wondering if I should maybe take one for the team and get hold of a cheap secondhand copy for review purposes on here, what do you think? 😇

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
That number 3 review is the stuff of legends, maybe the best review I've ever seen on Amazon. It has 549 upvotes!

Wondering if I should maybe take one for the team and get hold of a cheap secondhand copy for review purposes on here, what do you think? 😇
No need to spend your money on trash, I was gifted this book so we can always use it as reference! It’s the biggest pile of junk and I was going to give it to someone else but didn’t want them to read it 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
No need to spend your money on trash, I was gifted this book so we can always use it as reference! It’s the biggest pile of junk and I was going to give it to someone else but didn’t want them to read it 😂
Thank you so much! A lot of the reviews mention things about partners one way or another, and I'm interested in whether there's anything of substance in the book about those going through pregnancy and birth without a partner?

Reactions: 8
A few other quotes:

1."I got a buzz from buying something in a size 10 rather than XXXL". And lots more choice phrases where that came from. Really disappointed that a midwife of all people has written a body shaming and sexist book that is meant to be ‘humourous’ but is actually quite damaging.

2.My sister bought me this book as a gift when I announced my pregnancy. Looking at the book, it's appearance is quite appealing. And the fact that the author is – or was – a midwife with four children of her own gave me the impression that she must be experienced in all things pregnancy and labour related and have a lot of information and knowledge to share. But I soon found out that this wasn't a week-by-week pregnancy book that I could really rely on, and it left me disappointed chapter after chapter knowing I would have to wait 2 or 4 or up to 6 weeks to be able to relate to the next stage of pregnancy that the author decided to highlight. It was one of the reasons why I put the book down so many times. During your pregnancy, there is something interesting happening every single week, and it seemed that I learned more about what was happening to my body and my growing baby by using a free pregnancy app over this book, which is says a lot really. The author's views are old-fashioned in some ways and the use of shaming language in regards to women's bodies during and after pregnancy threw me off a little too; it just didn't sound all that professional. There was a lot I didn't necessarily agree with, that made me cringe and overall question if the author was truly a midwife. So I decided to research the author's name and WOW! Let's just say it revealed the author to be someone who I would NEVER personally buy a book from or support their business. I chose not to read the rest of it and since then I have purchased other pregnancy books and found them to be much more informative, insightful and incredibly empowering in every single aspect of pregnancy, labour and the journey afterward. I’m just glad this was gift and not a purchase of my own. And knowing all that I know about the author, it doesn’t feel right keeping it, passing it on or recommending it to other mums-to-be. So, it’s the bin for this one I’m afraid.

I was so disappointed with this book. We are starting to think about trying for a baby sometime within the next year or two and I bought this with the hope that it would provide some solid advice for a first time parent to be. However, the book is laid out more like a magazine than a book; the articles within are all light and with no real depth to them. A lot of the content feels like filler to pad the book out (e.g., recipes, large illustrations etc) and I was disappointed that I learned pretty much nothing I didn't know already (which is not a lot considering this is only the second book on pregnancy I've bought).
The thing that disappointed me the most was the subtle sexist and body-shaming undertones that snuck in throughout the book. Some examples:
- Apparently a 'plus point' of pregnancy is that you don't have to worry about holding in your tummy anymore
- In the same section it talked about pregnancy being a great excuse to 'convince your partner you need new threads' (I'm an adult woman with a career; I do not need my husband's permission to buy new clothes, especially if I am growing a baby and no longer fit in my usual clothes!)
- In the section about finding out the sex of the baby it talks about gendered clothes being a plus and a minus of finding out the sex (e.g., you can buy the 'right' colour ahead of time, or you can reuse white and yellow clothes for a future baby if you don't find out ahead of time). It never considers that maybe the woman does not want to enforce gender norms on their unborn child and doesn't give a toss about buying gendered clothes for their child even if they do know the sex ahead of time.
- In the top tips for partners it says that men should consider making a meal once a week! Weekly?! They should be doing their fair share of the housework normally, let alone when their partner is growing a baby inside them.
-In the same section it suggests men should do a bit more round the house and that they should do that because the benefit is that your partner doesn't whinge at you! How about men should be doing their share because THEY LIVE THERE AND ARE FULLY GROWN ADULTS, not because they won't get whinged at.
- Some body hair shaming content; "you've probably not even had a basic wax in months". Stop making removing all your body hair through a painful procedure the 'norm'.
- Women put weight on their back, abdomen and thighs; "the places us women are always trying to shift it from". Fat shaming isn't fun to read, especially in regards to pregnancy!
- Apparently an essential is to take a mirror in your hospital bag for the purposes of, and I quote, "check your reflection before in-laws arrive". Who gives a damn what you look like when you've just had a baby? If your in laws care then that's their problem, not yours!
- More body shaming: you should have a pedicure so that when you look down you're looking at your toes and not your "saggy belly".
And finally the last bit of body shaming: That with a bit of time and work your post baby body will "eventually look marginally more acceptable". Because apparently fat or not-toned bodies are not acceptable to this author. Good to know.
You know what, I'm actually glad that this bogoted, tone-deaf, Hyacinth Bucket-like twit wrote this pile of damaging tripe. Because it was PUBLISHED, it exists, it is all out there for everyone to see what an awful, backward 1950's Stepford, snobby horror she really is. She caan't dial it back or erase it.

Time will not be kind to Clammie and her codswallop of a book.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Given it already reads like a 50’s throwback, and it was written 5(?) years ago, it shows how Clemmie may have aligned herself with the celebrity world, but sadly not reality…

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Ask the author for a free copy in return for advertising on your insta. She has plenty of spare copies.

Heads up - he has an #ad for cbd sleep drops.

£69.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I would suggest creating a new account on Amazon. It's free with an audible trial Just remember to cancel after the trial. £10 saved.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.