Father of Daughters #49 Consumerism doesn’t equal happiness. Go count your kitchens.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Being an influencer or YouTuber is not a viable long term career. It is not something that is going to last forever. There is only so much content you can throw out there.
This is such a genuinely interesting concept and something I’d love to read a proper research led book on.

Completely agree, especially once someone scales beyond micro influencing tens of thousands and making a bit of pocket money with aff links & going to nice brand brunches, like when you start getting mega deals the only way to sustain that new life is to pivot into other well paid work - whether it’s tv, radio, writing books, whatever. You’ve not only got to fight to retain ur tiny % of market share but also hope and pray brands are gonna keep playing ball, which they don’t if they can’t see any ROI for them.

It’s insanity to me some of these old mama lot got free extensions & kitchens, tens of thousands spent out and what would brands have seen from it? Someone in 2017 adding the Hoopers’ kitchen on a mood board before their Wren kitchen consultation? Madness.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is such a genuinely interesting concept and something I’d love to read a proper research led book on.

Completely agree, especially once someone scales beyond micro influencing tens of thousands and making a bit of pocket money with aff links & going to nice brand brunches, like when you start getting mega deals the only way to sustain that new life is to pivot into other well paid work - whether it’s tv, radio, writing books, whatever. You’ve not only got to fight to retain ur tiny % of market share but also hope and pray brands are gonna keep playing ball, which they don’t if they can’t see any ROI for them.

It’s insanity to me some of these old mama lot got free extensions & kitchens, tens of thousands spent out and what would brands have seen from it? Someone in 2017 adding the Hoopers’ kitchen on a mood board before their Wren kitchen consultation? Madness.
I agree with both you and @LuBiLu but the YouTube and Instagram gravy train doesn’t seem to be slowing down. This is not a new thing and I’m struggling to find a brand I actually want to buy stuff off because they are all at it, throwing freebies and AD revenue at this absolute no marks. They are either getting the desired returns for their investments or they are not monitoring it. I fear the latter because we know they don’t do their due diligence. So really why would these grifters stop? They appear untouchable with their hidden Ads and false claims. It infuriates me 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 11
What will it take for him to give up? I suspect it’ll be the end of Instagram.
I can see it now, in 10 years time the app will be deserted, and he’ll be posting to an empty void – but he won’t notice as his engagement is already so terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I find it hilarious how so many of them were offered Book deals. It was like they were just giving them away to anyone, regardless of how dire the finished product was. I've never read any myself, but I have seen screenshots of some. How they even got published is beyond me. And then they love to call themselves Authors 🤣🤣 Tragic.

@Dogmuck I do agree the gravy train is still going. But I do think it has slowed somewhat, especially since the pandemic hit. However it is still going too fast for my liking. A lot of them rely on their children, and we all know how quickly they grow up.

They don't stay small forever. Sly relied on the twins for most of his content back in the day. And as much as he has tried to keep going with the cute cheeky twin theme, they are growing up and no longer performing monkeys.

I think pre Alice they both knew they couldn't rely on the twins and older girls forever, hence the HOH account. We all know that was meant to be Glen's next venture in the influencer world. Possibly trying her hand at interior design by updating their home decor on a regular basis, and relying on big brand Ads, gifts and partnerships to do so. Then Alice happened. That account has been a total flop.

Sly definitely wanted to go down the Radio or TV route for sure. We all remember the comment of aligning themselves in the celebrity world. They really did think they'd hit the jackpot and reached their goal.

I noticed Multidad hasn't been bashing out as many ads recently. I know he isn't a high end influencer, but he was still doing fairly well for a while. It just seems to have gone quieter than usual.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I find it hilarious how so many of them were offered Book deals. It was like they were just giving them away to anyone, regardless of how dire the finished product was. I've never read any myself, but I have seen screenshots of some. How they even got published is beyond me. And then they love to call themselves Authors 🤣🤣 Tragic.

@Dogmuck I do agree the gravy train is still going. But I do think it has slowed somewhat, especially since the pandemic hit. However it is still going too fast for my liking. A lot of them rely on their children, and we all know how quickly they grow up.

They don't stay small forever. Sly relied on the twins for most of his content back in the day. And as much as he has tried to keep going with the cute cheeky twin theme, they are growing up and no longer performing monkeys.

I think pre Alice they both knew they couldn't rely on the twins and older girls forever, hence the HOH account. We all know that was meant to be Glen's next venture in the influencer world. Possibly trying her hand at interior design by updating their home decor on a regular basis, and relying on big brand Ads, gifts and partnerships to do so. Then Alice happened. That account has been a total flop.

Sly definitely wanted to go down the Radio or TV route for sure. We all remember the comment of aligning themselves in the celebrity world. They really did think they'd hit the jackpot and reached their goal.

I noticed Multidad hasn't been bashing out as many ads recently. I know he isn't a high end influencer, but he was still doing fairly well for a while. It just seems to have gone quieter than usual.
I hope you’re right but I don’t see it myself. The twins got old but thousands of other twins were born and actually triplets and quads and I see them filling the void every day. Multibirths are a massive money spinner as are big families. They are birthing to make £££ which is sickening.

Then you’ve got all the tat pushers like Hinch and Solomon who are doing so much damage with their non stop ads for landfill products with massive name brands.

Then you’ve got all the interior huns who are MDF panelling every wall within an inch of its life whilst changing rooms weekly adding tat to shelves like it’s a personality trait. I’m watching and chuckling as the panelling goes up only to be pulled down in the next couple of years to return to minimal clean lines because some hole with and IG account has declared it this years look. More landfill. More debt for the stupid. It feels relentless.

I had hoped that Alice would open peoples eyes to the extent they are being exploited but I just can’t see a let up. I’m pretty sure that it’s cheaper to get Ads done by no marks on Instagram than on TV and younger generations don’t watch TV they stream from Netflix etc so their exposure to Ads is limited to social media where they spend a lot of their time. As these people have pulled them in with their “relatable” personas the followers have misplaced loyalty and affinity to the account holders and so are very accepting and forgiving of the Ads. The grifters throw in the odd bit of “mum troubles” “diy disasters” “tiredness” “anxiety” “mental health” whatever angle works content to keep the followers hooked. We see how the followers of Fod, Hinch, Solomon, Monroe blindly defend them no matter how badly they behave. It’s frightening that so few see that they are watching QVC. Makes me sad for the world really.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Feeling a "sudden wave of despair" thinking about how the girls are growing up. We all know what kind of despair he is feeling ! Don't worry FOD they will actually be safer once they leave your house and don't have a creep taking pictures of them in their sleep.
Also I find people who can't do a single car ride without a screen for their kids are wrong. Sorry if that's some of you that's my opinion. Like you're taking a small drive to go to the woods not a 12 hours flight.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Feeling a "sudden wave of despair" thinking about how the girls are growing up. We all know what kind of despair he is feeling ! Don't worry FOD they will actually be safer once they leave your house and don't have a creep taking pictures of them in their sleep.
Also I find people who can't do a single car ride without a screen for their kids are wrong. Sorry if that's some of you that's my opinion. Like you're taking a small drive to go to the woods not a 12 hours flight.
He loves the word despair as he used it twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I'd quite like to chuck some iPads back there, but it makes them both puke 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Agree. We tend to use them for journeys of two hours or so. Mainly because my tolerance for bickering doesn’t last that long. Short journeys - I don’t get it. Doesn’t mean I’m right, I know, just not my choice.

Reactions: 7
I agree with both you and @LuBiLu but the YouTube and Instagram gravy train doesn’t seem to be slowing down. This is not a new thing and I’m struggling to find a brand I actually want to buy stuff off because they are all at it, throwing freebies and AD revenue at this absolute no marks. They are either getting the desired returns for their investments or they are not monitoring it. I fear the latter because we know they don’t do their due diligence. So really why would these grifters stop? They appear untouchable with their hidden Ads and false claims. It infuriates me 😡
Agree completely - but I do think brands have largely gotten smarter about it thankfully. At their peak there was definitely a panic that brands would miss out on the next big thing / a bit of Emporer’s new clothes, and a lot of unmeasured and undeclared campaigns went on that just can’t have shown any ROI. Like when you’re gifting thousands and thousands in engineered wood floor, sorry but most huns will take those pics to B&Q and opt for whatever laminate their husband will be putting down that weekend and that’s absolutely fine and normal, engineered wood or knurled bronze knobs aren’t a mainstream product like say… lurpak butter or Boots own brand kids suncream which maybe makes more sense to push on Insta?

For direct to consumer “low level” (eg in the £00s tops) product influencer marketing can be effective, and campaigns are measured and influencers paid out dependent on performance.

Recently re gravy train I’ve noticed a wave of historically not really direct to consumer businesses who are now pushing their d2c e-commerce offerings like Mattel and even Lego getting it REALLY wrong. I suspect they’ve had new hires into their marketing teams to kick start influencer work and they’ve actually got no bleeping clue, just really tone deaf content (Mattel partnering with Fearne Mccan to give her little girl a princess barbie bedroom when 1/4 kids in this country are living in poverty? Lego partnering with a racist family) that can’t be driving anything for them. They’re not even giving these useless pricks aff links to measure conversion? It’s all very bizarre.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Interesting that Clemmie Telfords list this week is about kids with type 1. She’s asking fir suggested accounts to follow. No mentions of FoD. Given they were all besties, with MoD delivering her baby, it shows how fake these friendships were.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
FOD’s hot take on global superstar Adele.
I’m sure she will be really crushed.

A20D12DD-D54E-40A9-A597-71F5F73EC7C4.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
How crap is that sunken trampoline? The 'safety' net around the thing looks useless & doesn't even look like it was made for that model trampoline. I feel I can smell the dog piss & stagnant water from here.🤮
We had a sunken trampoline growing up but without a net. If you are going to have a net, then why sink it in the first place?

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.