Father of Daughters #47 Clemente, come back, the world has mostly forgotten.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The whole testing process he mentions is in all schools, it’s part of the system man!
Putting your child through what sounds like an unnecessary testing process is cruel, especially as that child has recently been diagnosed and is coming to terms with the life threatening condition she has.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It's got the best 'engagement' he has had in a long time with lots of lengthy written responses. My parents never focused on my education. My older brother checked my spellings when I was at primary school and I never had practice tests at home for the 11+, which I passed. I don't think it was deliberate on their part. My father spent his time working then playing with us. I know life is different now for young people but I never felt forced to do anything and was most likely driven by trying to follow my brother. I don't have children but I do wonder if some parents create problems for their children by driving them to do what the parents want and not what the child is capable of or is in their best interests (as may be Fod).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
i remember this horrible process from when i was Marnie’s age and how upsetting it was when some friends in my class got into a school and I didn’t. I remember being so upset and embarrassed and felt that i wasn’t good enough and that was only worrying about what about 20 other people thought of me. Imagine the pressure when there are hundreds of thousands of people watching (thankfully at least half are probably bots but how is M supposed to know that)

FOD is a true narcissist and sees his children as an extension of himself so he really doesn’t understand that it isn’t his right to publicise their lives. I feel so sorry for M in particular… i wonder if she feels like her dad loves her more now that she’s got an illness he can exploit. Like being ill = more worth. What a confusing thing to think. I really do hope the money they save sending their kids to grammar school will go into good therapy later on.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
My two youngest went to grammar school. I had no intention or thought of it (thus my poor eldest went to the local comp) but a teacher approached me and said you really should look at getting Dogmuck junior to sit the exams for GS because she’s smart and will really thrive. I talked to Mr DM about it and we said ok let’s do it. Lots of my mum friends were like have you got a tutor and I’m like NO do I need one? I was honestly super naive. They were all getting tutors and I said, look if she’s smart enough she’ll pass and if she’s not then no biggy she can go to the comp like her brother. Everyone was badgering me saying, these exams aren’t things they cover at school they are very specific, you have to get a tutor. I didn’t, it was a hill that I was prepared to die on. NGL as the exams and results loomed I did worry I’d been a dick and all these fretting mothers were right. They weren’t, DM junior passed all the entrance exams for all the GS cos she was a smart little tit and still is. I applied the same principle with my youngest and got the same results. Many of my fretty mum friends kids didn’t pass the exams didn’t get into GS and they either ended up paying for crap private schools or went to the comp. So all that stress for EVERYONE in the house and all that cost was for nowt.

Kids don’t need more study and more pressure. Hot housing them does not make for a calm house. I’ve seen this with my brothers kids who were basic geniuses as toddlers, whilst mine just looked vacant and dribbled. His kids are now really struggling with mental illnesses and I think that was down to the pressure they have constantly been under to be the best (privately educated at a top private school).

Parents are quite often responsible for the pressure because they are either competing with their mates/family or projecting their desires on to their kids. Maybe I got lucky with mine but if I had one piece of advice it’s that kids learn at different paces and thrive in different environments. I would certainly ask the teacher if they think your kid is capable/would benefit from a GS environment because it’s not for everyone and if you’re pushing your kid down that road and it’s not their road they will almost certainly fail. The teachers will know best and you should listen to their advice and not be a child about it. Nobody suggested my eldest should sit any exams, far from it, but he thrived at the comp and did well, he wouldn’t have made it at a GS cos basically he’s a lazy git 🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 25
25BE01F7-A214-41D1-B08E-090CA1FC23F6.jpeg

Sure, but at 11?! All that pressure? Marnie is also probably just coming to terms with being diagnosed as T1 and all the pressure and complications that come with that.

We don’t have grammar schools in this part of the country, but I can’t help thinking that if you need all that tutoring and studying, then maybe it’s not for you (Dogmuck, your approach would seem the most sensible one to me). I don’t think my parents would have let me sit it, even if I had the chance. From the generation they were from, they were written off as ‘failures’ as neither of them passed theirs and while I realise it’s not quite the same thing these days, that’s a lot of stuff to being dealing with at that age.
I actually can’t believe he’s gramming this in real time. I hope for her sake that she gets through.

• Heart
As someone who struggled in school and was labeled “difficult”, I’m still dealing nearing my 40’s being told I was lazy and wouldn’t go anywhere in life (got a masters and a nice career 🖕). I can’t imagine what it would have been like having my parents going public with the issue. Them telling their friends over dinner party about my antics was already mortifying enough. He’s creating so many mental issues for them it’s very sad to watch. Posting a picture of your daughter studying and struggling is NOT OK.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
To me M always looked the most uncomfortable on the gram.

Not only with this recent post, but it's always been her feelings that have been put on display and used for content.

1. The post with her on the tree swing at GaGa's asking for advice :

" Advice needed please: "it doesn't mean everyone else is coping. " As the tears rolled down her cheeks, the words .. "

2.The beach post with her carrying her bag.

The stuff she shares with her father is personal. Her private thoughts and feelings are becoming a public spectacle (why do we need to know her fears about passing diabetes on to her own children?). It feels the same as being shown private diary entries.

I think in the future she will just learn to keep things to herself. No £32 shirt would be worth that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
My two youngest went to grammar school. I had no intention or thought of it (thus my poor eldest went to the local comp) but a teacher approached me and said you really should look at getting Dogmuck junior to sit the exams for GS because she’s smart and will really thrive. I talked to Mr DM about it and we said ok let’s do it. Lots of my mum friends were like have you got a tutor and I’m like NO do I need one? I was honestly super naive. They were all getting tutors and I said, look if she’s smart enough she’ll pass and if she’s not then no biggy she can go to the comp like her brother. Everyone was badgering me saying, these exams aren’t things they cover at school they are very specific, you have to get a tutor. I didn’t, it was a hill that I was prepared to die on. NGL as the exams and results loomed I did worry I’d been a dick and all these fretting mothers were right. They weren’t, DM junior passed all the entrance exams for all the GS cos she was a smart little tit and still is. I applied the same principle with my youngest and got the same results. Many of my fretty mum friends kids didn’t pass the exams didn’t get into GS and they either ended up paying for crap private schools or went to the comp. So all that stress for EVERYONE in the house and all that cost was for nowt.

Kids don’t need more study and more pressure. Hot housing them does not make for a calm house. I’ve seen this with my brothers kids who were basic geniuses as toddlers, whilst mine just looked vacant and dribbled. His kids are now really struggling with mental illnesses and I think that was down to the pressure they have constantly been under to be the best (privately educated at a top private school).

Parents are quite often responsible for the pressure because they are either competing with their mates/family or projecting their desires on to their kids. Maybe I got lucky with mine but if I had one piece of advice it’s that kids learn at different paces and thrive in different environments. I would certainly ask the teacher if they think your kid is capable/would benefit from a GS environment because it’s not for everyone and if you’re pushing your kid down that road and it’s not their road they will almost certainly fail. The teachers will know best and you should listen to their advice and not be a child about it. Nobody suggested my eldest should sit any exams, far from it, but he thrived at the comp and did well, he wouldn’t have made it at a GS cos basically he’s a lazy git 🤣🤣🤣
Absolutely spot on we paid for a tutor for our eldest he gave us our money back and told us we were wasting our time ( the shame 🙈) but he’s done fine and has a better paid job than me in import/export 🙄

My third son just arsed about at Uni for 12 months left got a job in finance and now has his own business

My brother went to grammar school never went to uni but had a fantastic career and life which was down to a combination of working hard and meeting people who advanced his career he then completely retrained went to uni in his forties and now has a Phd ( he’s still a massive sociopath though)

This is just my opinion of course no disrespect to those paying for tutors or anything but if she’s not cut out for it it’s not the end of the world the real problem she has is having him for her father

• Heart
Koppaberg…love how he tries to claim he’s a craft beer enthusiast and he’s just admitted he’s having cans of fruity cider 🤣

I bet it was him that made the call to the rugby company rather than them approach him #grifted.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Koppaberg…love how he tries to claim he’s a craft beer enthusiast and he’s just admitted he’s having cans of fruity cider 🤣

I bet it was him that made the call to the rugby company rather than them approach him #grifted.
It might not have been gifted directly to him but as a batch to a club or a friend of his.

Reactions: 5
He didn’t go through the highly competitive grammar application process though did he. It’s significantly easier to get into private schools as there are significantly fewer applicants…
Depends on the school and the location though. Getting into any of the top London day schools or the most academic boarding schools (like St. Mary's Ascot or Winchester) is immensely competitive. FODney, however, went to a minor public school in Bristol, one that I'd imagine isn't hard to get into. Soz FODders! #shade #lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Depends on the school and the location though. Getting into any of the top London day schools or the most academic boarding schools (like St. Mary's Ascot or Winchester) is immensely competitive. FODney, however, went to a minor public school in Bristol, one that I'd imagine isn't hard to get into. Soz FODders! #shade #lol.
Yea! This have a look on that other mumsnety forum for the threads for North London Collegiate School or City of London girls. It's not unusual to see requests asking for tutors to help get their 4 years olds into the junior school or into Mulberry house/ Bute. Falkner always had the cutest uniform though.

Back in the day the HBS school also usually had around 1000+ applications because it had no catchment area. Top 93 only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
She seems a sweet, sensitive soul and what he is doing to her feels absolutely abusive. Storing up problems for her future and their relationship.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I live in a grammar school heavy area/county and Mr Beds and his bro both went. Both academic but in very different ways - but a lot of the reason they sat the exam/went was because of the chip on my in laws shoulders. The irony that FIL successfully ran his own business etc without a high academic record is totally lost on him.

Little Beds starts school soon and the snobbery around primary schools has been eye opening and quite shocking. Can only imagine the nonsense I’ll hear when secondary school comes round.

I really feel for M - like @heretoreaditall2019 said what is he gaining from this? Sharenting and potentially shaming his own child in the process if she doesn’t get in? I hadn’t even thought of the safety element of it. Without being all ‘won’t someone think of the children’ where does this genuinely end? What is the limit for his sharing and how much damage is done in the process to her? When does the welfare of influencer’s children honestly get called into question and proper safeguarding put in place?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.