Father of Daughters #39 I spy with my little eye, MODified sausages exposing more lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the small brand rant...soz...but which of the gram influencers AREN’T doing a small brands shout out? Jesus it’s boring as tit!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve just been looking through their “small brands”, everything I saw was exclusively Kent or London based! What about the rest of the bleeping country you twats!

I have a love/hate relationship with small brands at the best of times. Yeah we all hate amazon for the obvious reasons but amazon do actually employ people in this country...who do pay their taxes, the legal mechanism we have in place ensure they get at least the minimum employment protection. I have a good handful of friends who are “small brands/sole traders” and facts I know about them are these,
1. It’s quite often a lifestyle business, one partner earns well and they have chosen to be creative and essentially turned a hobby into a “business” (on reflection probs same point as 5).
2. They tend not to employ anyone outside their family, if they do they want that person as cheap as possible, minimum wage/apprentice.
3. They fiddle their accounts...be that taking cash in hand and not putting it through the books or putting pretty much all household goods through their business. Falsely keeping turnover under the threshold so they don’t need to be VAT registered.
4. They are being supported by their wealthy parents
5. There is no pressure to be a profitable or successful business, they do it for the love, so no despair when times are hard, their business isn’t paying the rent/mortgage or household essentials.
6. They are a money laundering vessel for their partners business.

Disclaimer - Not all of them are doing all of these things but every one of them is doing at least one of these things.

I like buying from John Lewis because it’s always quality, it’s price matched, they employ thousands of people through their business, it’s a partnership so no fat boy shareholders screwing everyone for their dividend, they pay all their taxes, they tend to deliver on time and if you have a complaint you can feel sure it will be dealt with, they are much more ethical than many of these “ethical” “planet friendly” small brands. They are scrutinised and accountable on every level.

I feel the desperate push to have an exclusive “small brand” product is what is driving this market, because who wants what everyone else can get. Many of these small brand products are just not affordable for the majority of people and are the exclusive domain of the middle class wannabe philanthropist types that ST and Sly are pretending to portray in their recent stories.

Sorry that’s a right old rant but it is something that winds me up.
& shop small doesn’t have to mean spending £500 on a light shade and it really puts people off of even trying when influencers push the #shopsmall message alongside these products. Shop small can mean buying from your local book store for a couple of quid more as opposed to amazon, cos your local book store is more than just a shop it’s a community resource & somewhere for kids to get excited about reading or meet their fav authors?? Or buying your #reno bits from a local independent merchants rather than B&Q. Using a local plumber rather than Pimlico. These things are often better value (if not actually cheaper) too!

Instagram pushing these messages of hyper consumption needs to stop it’s the worst!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
& shop small doesn’t have to mean spending £500 on a light shade and it really puts people off of even trying when influencers push the #shopsmall message alongside these products. Shop small can mean buying from your local book store for a couple of quid more as opposed to amazon, cos your local book store is more than just a shop it’s a community resource & somewhere for kids to get excited about reading or meet their fav authors?? Or buying your #reno bits from a local independent merchants rather than B&Q. Using a local plumber rather than Pimlico. These things are often better value (if not actually cheaper) too!

Instagram pushing these messages of hyper consumption needs to stop it’s the worst!
My problem is that I can’t rid myself of the imagine of poor old Margaret Thatcher when I hear the term small local shops/businesses...😬

• Haha
Reactions: 10
This pandemic is sorting the community minded from the selfish like nothing else I've ever known.

Reactions: 17
Totally! What man has ever said EVER ‘the most beautiful bunches of dried flowers’? Seriously. It just wouldn’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
does anyone have a screen recording? i've deleted my instagram app but it's very important that i see this
Sorry I have absolutely no idea how to do that! I know someone who is a tech wizz on here can though?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Does anyone else feel a kind of fleeting sense of inadequacy because they don't shop small? I've kind of conquered my FOMO when it comes to material consumption. I can't realistically afford to shop small much. Though I 100% appreciate why its more expensive. Its so easy for influencers to parade their fake support for small businesses when they receive stuff heavily discounted or for free. I don't feel guilty because I shop at primark or H&M. I'd much rather be spending my money at known brands like Dr martens, Fossil and Liberty when I want to treat myself. Also all the preloved clothes off ebay. Why does no one shout about that!! Just not into these pop up businesses advertised by influenzas... 🥱

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve just been looking through their “small brands”, everything I saw was exclusively Kent or London based! What about the rest of the bleeping country you twats!

I have a love/hate relationship with small brands at the best of times. Yeah we all hate amazon for the obvious reasons but amazon do actually employ people in this country...who do pay their taxes, the legal mechanism we have in place ensure they get at least the minimum employment protection. I have a good handful of friends who are “small brands/sole traders” and facts I know about them are these,
1. It’s quite often a lifestyle business, one partner earns well and they have chosen to be creative and essentially turned a hobby into a “business” (on reflection probs same point as 5).
2. They tend not to employ anyone outside their family, if they do they want that person as cheap as possible, minimum wage/apprentice.
3. They fiddle their accounts...be that taking cash in hand and not putting it through the books or putting pretty much all household goods through their business. Falsely keeping turnover under the threshold so they don’t need to be VAT registered.
4. They are being supported by their wealthy parents
5. There is no pressure to be a profitable or successful business, they do it for the love, so no despair when times are hard, their business isn’t paying the rent/mortgage or household essentials.
6. They are a money laundering vessel for their partners business.

Disclaimer - Not all of them are doing all of these things but every one of them is doing at least one of these things.

I like buying from John Lewis because it’s always quality, it’s price matched, they employ thousands of people through their business, it’s a partnership so no fat boy shareholders screwing everyone for their dividend, they pay all their taxes, they tend to deliver on time and if you have a complaint you can feel sure it will be dealt with, they are much more ethical than many of these “ethical” “planet friendly” small brands. They are scrutinised and accountable on every level.

I feel the desperate push to have an exclusive “small brand” product is what is driving this market, because who wants what everyone else can get. Many of these small brand products are just not affordable for the majority of people and are the exclusive domain of the middle class wannabe philanthropist types that ST and Sly are pretending to portray in their recent stories.

Sorry that’s a right old rant but it is something that winds me up.
“everyone is doing at least one of these things” I can tell you now that you are wrong.
I have my own small business, not supported by wealthy partner or parents- in fact I’m a single parent and work another job to pay the rent and bills while I try and make my business successful so I can do something I love full time and make my son proud.
And many other small business owners actually do despair when times are hard on paying bills etc. Especially in the current climate.

it seems that you are surrounded by many wealthy small business owners but that is certainly not the case for the majority!

Reactions: 6
Does anyone else feel a kind of fleeting sense of inadequacy because they don't shop small? I've kind of conquered my FOMO when it comes to material consumption. I can't realistically afford to shop small much. Though I 100% appreciate why its more expensive. Its so easy for influencers to parade their fake support for small businesses when they receive stuff heavily discounted or for free. I don't feel guilty because I shop at primark or H&M. I'd much rather be spending my money at known brands like Dr martens, Fossil and Liberty when I want to treat myself. Also all the preloved clothes off ebay. Why does no one shout about that!! Just not into these pop up businesses advertised by influenzas... 🥱
Exactly yes! The cancel culture of not buying small is huge. Whilst it’s not specifically said, it’s implied that if you don’t shop small then you support child labour, poor working conditions, off shore tax havens, the devastation of the rain forest and kill kittens. Like I said before, many people simply can’t afford the difference between “shopping small” & shopping at a large retailer. I don’t think that makes anyone bad, it makes them financially savvy. I guarantee there will be a whole load of young women buying this overpriced tat, because “goals”, who cannot afford it and will find themselves in serious debt come January. It’s still mindless consumerism wether is big shop or little shop and actually that’s the important message that needs to be put out.

The ST, Sly & Clemmies of this world have literally just jumped on this band wagon on the back of...ripping out a perfectly good and new, kitchen, bathroom, en-suite etc sponsorship for Emirates, F1, Matalan, McCains, Gusto, Wagamama, Sky etc etc etc etc etc far too many big brands to list oh and let’s not forget the multiple holidays and moreover these are the things they were upfront and honest about! They never shopped small, they never pushed any small business and like you said @Aboveallelse unless they were getting something heavily discounted or free! It’s beyond ironic that the likelihood of them doing it now is to either support their mate Swim Tits or yet again expect feeebies!

“everyone is doing at least one of these things” I can tell you now that you are wrong.
I have my own small business, not supported by wealthy partner or parents- in fact I’m a single parent and work another job to pay the rent and bills while I try and make my business successful so I can do something I love full time and make my son proud.
And many other small business owners actually do despair when times are hard on paying bills etc. Especially in the current climate.

it seems that you are surrounded by many wealthy small business owners but that is certainly not the case for the majority!
Well if you’re gonna quote me then quote me correctly and in context! I didn’t write “everyone is doing one of these things” in relation to “everyone” who owns a small brand, I actually wrote, and I’ll quote myself exactly from that post, in relation to my friends:

So your situation may be different, Im not The CBI, The Chamber of Commerce or HMRC I can’t comment on businesses I don’t know and that is why I commented on businesses I do know about.

It’s interesting @Baz@53 your first comment on Tattle is this one. Is that you Clemmie/Sarah/Sly? Don’t misquote me and then try to cancel me out with your story, it’s not Xfactor.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
@Dogmuck it's very clear to me that you were talking about facts to do with the small traders that you know personally.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Dogmuck it's very clear to me that you were talking about facts to do with the small traders that you know personally.
Thanks @Axatogrind, I had to go and check myself because I thought I hadn’t been clear, but on checking I think (unusually for one of my rants) I did make it clear who I was talking about! And that response from Baz just pissed me off!

I know there are loads of businesses struggling, we own one, we employ lots of people, they are important to us not just for our sake but because everyone of our employees has a name and a story, is relevant and we respect and treat them as we would want to be treated. It’s our ethos! Who knows maybe Baz is one of our employees who runs their own business outside of work, but what people like Baz don’t understand is that if their “bread and butter” work goes bust, they won’t be able to do something they love and make their son proud, they will have to find a job that can support them to ensure ends meet.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Btw, I have one or two exclusive gold jackets that are perfect Christmas virtual party attire. Putting them up on my Etsy account:

@2020cansuckmydick

Special discount to all tattle mates 🥰🎄💕

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Honestly I don't feel guilt over it. I generally don't buy a lot of stuff anymore though. It's been one year since I bought zero items of clothing for myself and in the previous two years I bought two items of clothing- a pair of gloves as I lost mine and running shoes. However I have bought my sister jeans, a jumper and underwear from M&S last week because I know the items will last and she needed them.

I buy slave free ethical chocolate when I can as nice treats for my sisters,but it's £3.50 a bar. I'm okay with my supermarket's own brand.

I have spent crazy amounts on therapy and paid for sessions when I haven't attended because that helps him.

I still donate small amounts monthly too. Not everyone can afford to spend £16 on Artisanal donuts.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Same, if I could ethically shop for everything then of course I absolutely would. I'm not gonna start a rant about consumerism and capitalism because I'd have to tell myself to bore off 😜 but bottom line is these instagram biatches are the materialism pushers to a society that on the whole can't afford what they're selling.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.