F1 Chatter #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think i am losing faith in this sport tbh. I didn't look at social medias until now because i was angry enough with what happen during the race. And i thought that all the fans (or at least 99% of them) would be fuming at the fia for the tractor incident just like all the drivers/team principals/journalists. But damn how wrong i was... For the comments i saw it is like 50-50. People are going at Pierre because "Come on he knew a car was out so why was he driving this fast. And he is supposed to be one of the best driver in the world so he should be able to avoid a crane if he wants" 🙄🙄 And i'm like are they stupid? Or we just don't watch the same sport? Or they just want crashes for the show, and this is the worst honestly.
I was glad there is no racing next week so i could cut with f1 a bit and then remember that we are supposed to have the budget cap report tomorrow 😫
I think i have never been this disppointed in the sport except for Abu Dhabi last year 😣

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I think i am losing faith in this sport tbh. I didn't look at social medias until now because i was angry enough with what happen during the race. And i thought that all the fans (or at least 99% of them) would be fuming at the fia for the tractor incident just like all the drivers/team principals/journalists. But damn how wrong i was... For the comments i saw it is like 50-50. People are going at Pierre because "Come on he knew a car was out so why was he driving this fast. And he is supposed to be one of the best driver in the world so he should be able to avoid a crane if he wants" 🙄🙄 And i'm like are they stupid? Or we just don't watch the same sport? Or they just want crashes for the show, and this is the worst honestly.
I was glad there is no racing next week so i could cut with f1 a bit and then remember that we are supposed to have the budget cap report tomorrow 😫
I think i have never been this disppointed in the sport except for Abu Dhabi last year 😣
It’s actually sad so many of us are starting to feel this way. Sport is supposed to be enjoyable, something to distract from every day life, but the problem with F1 is there’s too many questionable characters and im just asking myself at this point why I even want to carry on supporting it when I actually don’t agree with the morals of probably half the paddock, and some of the so called fans physically make me feel ill

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Palate cleanser from all the negative vibes...
Although Alonso is me this morning getting fed up waiting...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Palate cleanser from all the negative vibes...
Although Alonso is me this morning getting fed up waiting...
i love that mick spent the delay doing a little tour of the other garages 🤣 fernando is a hard mood in this too.

@Blablabla29 - your feelings are absolutely valid, i don’t know if i can fully disengage because gosh darn it i’m attached to these boys and their cars but it’s so disheartening. i saw some people making comments like lol he should try racing in the 70s about pierre and like, they were losing at least one driver a season then. why do people WANT the sport to be dangerous? it’s not the hunger games! also do people not realise how fast pierre was going? it’s not like he can see the lorry and come to a gentle gradual stop or slowdown. it makes me so mad and i know i’m going to be mad with the budget cap tomorrow too.

hearing some of the bosses (mattia and toto definitely) sound very despondent also makes me pause, i don’t want it to become the christian horner show but sometimes it is. and i liked red bull so much when seb was there but their trajectory is so strange. plucky heroes to villains in ten years.

• Heart
i love that mick spent the delay doing a little tour of the other garages 🤣 fernando is a hard mood in this too.

@Blablabla29 - your feelings are absolutely valid, i don’t know if i can fully disengage because gosh darn it i’m attached to these boys and their cars but it’s so disheartening. i saw some people making comments like lol he should try racing in the 70s about pierre and like, they were losing at least one driver a season then. why do people WANT the sport to be dangerous? it’s not the hunger games! also do people not realise how fast pierre was going? it’s not like he can see the lorry and come to a gentle gradual stop or slowdown. it makes me so mad and i know i’m going to be mad with the budget cap tomorrow too.

hearing some of the bosses (mattia and toto definitely) sound very despondent also makes me pause, i don’t want it to become the christian horner show but sometimes it is. and i liked red bull so much when seb was there but their trajectory is so strange. plucky heroes to villains in ten years.
The fact it was so dangerous back then is nothing to be proud of, it’s such a stupid argument. Health and safety in every aspect of life has come on leaps and bounds since then, and F1 have made it very clear they care about safety if it’s jewellery, that just so happens to alienate the guy they all hate, so why don’t they care in this case I wonder? Toto I don’t think will ever fully get over Abu Dhabi, he’s been a shell of himself this year, and Mattia isn’t stupid enough to believe anything will come of the budget cap thing, which I fully believe will be a breach that is covered up. They’ve basically got one hand tied behind their backs, no wonder they’re sick of it

• Heart
The fact it was so dangerous back then is nothing to be proud of, it’s such a stupid argument. Health and safety in every aspect of life has come on leaps and bounds since then, and F1 have made it very clear they care about safety if it’s jewellery, that just so happens to alienate the guy they all hate, so why don’t they care in this case I wonder? Toto I don’t think will ever fully get over Abu Dhabi, he’s been a shell of himself this year, and Mattia isn’t stupid enough to believe anything will come of the budget cap thing, which I fully believe will be a breach that is covered up. They’ve basically got one hand tied behind their backs, no wonder they’re sick of it
i see it a lot with (sorry to stereotype) male fans of sport sadly. i watch a lot of rugby and ice hockey - both sports with huge issues with head injuries not being correctly managed, and there are always men in comments of posts saying “oh they would never have coped in [insert year here]”. i suppose that’s a whole different conversation about the toxicity of sporting culture though.

i think mattia, based on his comments, has already accepted that it’ll be a cover up. but he went off today in a way you don’t see much from him. it must be so hard to see the clear hierarchy and backstabbing in your sport and i agree that toto’s trust is fully broken. but there’s no real morales there, if there were then fernando wouldn’t even be on the grid for a start (i mean, he actively tried to bribe ron dennis). it’s been a disheartening season, after one that basically ended with a mistake.

(wow i am rambling sorry 🤣)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It’s actually sad so many of us are starting to feel this way. Sport is supposed to be enjoyable, something to distract from every day life, but the problem with F1 is there’s too many questionable characters and im just asking myself at this point why I even want to carry on supporting it when I actually don’t agree with the morals of probably half the paddock, and some of the so called fans physically make me feel ill
It IS sad. Ngl lie, F1 has always been a tit show though...there have always been questionable decisions, obnoxious characters and corruption. The difference now is that this is all amplified through social media. When I was a kid, and a teenager even, it was just my dad ranting about it all to himself at the televison or occasionally down the pub but now everyone rants on twitter and it snowballs. We know so much about the drivers and teams as well that it's hard to separate the skills a driver has from his personality flaws. Max is an amazing driver and an absolute talent but it is hard for me to support him when I know he is around people with heinous views. Step away if you need to....the last few races are just a formality at this point and you can just come here for the good bits (thirst traps and memes galore)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
i see it a lot with (sorry to stereotype) male fans of sport sadly. i watch a lot of rugby and ice hockey - both sports with huge issues with head injuries not being correctly managed, and there are always men in comments of posts saying “oh they would never have coped in [insert year here]”. i suppose that’s a whole different conversation about the toxicity of sporting culture though.

i think mattia, based on his comments, has already accepted that it’ll be a cover up. but he went off today in a way you don’t see much from him. it must be so hard to see the clear hierarchy and backstabbing in your sport and i agree that toto’s trust is fully broken. but there’s no real morales there, if there were then fernando wouldn’t even be on the grid for a start (i mean, he actively tried to bribe ron dennis). it’s been a disheartening season, after one that basically ended with a mistake.

(wow i am rambling sorry 🤣)
Agreed about male fans for sure. Yeah mattia was kicking off actually from what I’ve heard. Oh Fernando, I always forget all of that controversy 😭

It IS sad. Ngl lie, F1 has always been a tit show though...there have always been questionable decisions, obnoxious characters and corruption. The difference now is that this is all amplified through social media. When I was a kid, and a teenager even, it was just my dad ranting about it all to himself at the televison or occasionally down the pub but now everyone rants on twitter and it snowballs. We know so much about the drivers and teams as well that it's hard to separate the skills a driver has from his personality flaws. Max is an amazing driver and an absolute talent but it is hard for me to support him when I know he is around people with heinous views. Step away if you need to....the last few races are just a formality at this point and you can just come here for the good bits (thirst traps and memes galore)
Oh social media amplifies everything, 100%. Back then, tbh even when Lewis Fernando Seb etc first started, all you really knew of them was what they chose to disclose in interviews, and sometimes ignorance is bliss in these cases. I will, thank you all for being so kind ❤

Reactions: 8
martin has been on point on twitter. i missed him this weekend.

ted tried to bring up the recovery vehicle too and almost got shushed and spoken over. not to go full conspiracy theory but i wonder if sky are told to toe the party line a bit to keep their coverage rights.

(not pdr though, i fully believe those are his own stupid feelings)
Hello... just found your thread and it's looking more race focused than the one I used to be on... ;). I am watching the race now and David Coulthard made a good point that a virtual safety car would have been a better choice from the race director, as it would apply to all drivers wherever they were on the track, whereas Pierre technically could drive faster with a real safety car because he came out of the pit lane.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I watched the race on ESPN which has the UK Sky coverage. Did commentators in other countries pick up on the crane thing quickly? I didn't watch the race live and was fast-forwarding through the delays. Maybe I missed something, but, initially, I genuinely thought Pierre was mad about the poster board as Sky hadn't mentioned the crane on track at all.

I mean i don't think i will stop watching it anyway because i am too invest in this sport 😅 I am just so disappointed about all the situation is handled (i know the fia will investigate everything but come on, this is the fia investigating the fia nothing will come out of this, except if they decide to fire Freitas like they did with Masi). The feeling will probably be gone tomorrow and i will be as excited as always when the race in Austin comes around.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello... just found your thread and it's looking more race focused than the one I used to be on... ;). I am watching the race now and David Coulthard made a good point that a virtual safety car would have been a better choice from the race director, as it would apply to all drivers wherever they were on the track, whereas Pierre technically could drive faster with a real safety car because he came out of the pit lane.
coulthard and webber both always give fairly measured comments tbh - they’re much better than the offerings on sky (jenson aside): i should make more effort to watch the channel 4 stuff! virtual safety car definitely seems like it would have been a better option.

Agreed about male fans for sure. Yeah mattia was kicking off actually from what I’ve heard. Oh Fernando, I always forget all of that controversy 😭
it’s wild how much drama he’s been involved in (leo vibes) but also wild that any team goes near him (his talent speaks for itself though i suppose) 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I watched the race on ESPN which has the UK Sky coverage. Did commentators in other countries pick up on the crane thing quickly? I didn't watch the race live and was fast-forwarding through the delays. Maybe I missed something, but, initially, I genuinely thought Pierre was mad about the poster board as Sky hadn't mentioned the crane on track at all.
I also watched the UK coverage but read that other broadcasters did pick up on it much quicker.

French TV only picked it up during the red flag, quite a long time after it happened, and i think they saw it on twitter like most of us. But they didn't comment a lot about it after tbh.

hi, I am back for a while, I am still wondering if the race happened for real or not :LOL: for many reasons. :sneaky::rolleyes:

One thing is a dangerous nature of the sport, another is additional danger that could be avoided. The tractor situation is absolutely ridiculous for me and no matter if someone was speeding or not, it is just not safe to have it on the track while the cars are there. I don;t get any FIA defenses here. If the drivers say it should not be there, who are all these other people to say they know better than the drivers.
I used to watch a lot of alpine skiing which is also a dangerous sport and there were times when only skiers who actually race on the hill can say what is wrong with it. Noone else can know, because they are not racing. but there were also many instances of making the hill more dangerous than it should be (eg longer jumps or too fast turns) or letting them race because of the TV and sponsors, and sometimes it took an accident of an experienced skier to cancel the race or change things. sometimes I simply couldn;t watch it because I was afraid about the skiers.

Did people really want for something bad to happen, in front of all this fans who were there, and all the kids there?

I also do not get such stron negative emotions towards any driver to the extent of minimalising their fear/skills/bravery or wishing bad things happening to them. I support some people more or want them to win more than others, but it doesn;t mean that I want anything bad to happen to anyone else. It seems to me mostly male fans have tendency to have such strong emotions to the extent of hate or threats, I saw some comments about Pierre and these people can go duck themselves.
I'd rather be accussed of thirsting over drivers than of hating anyone to the extent of wishing something happens to them. :confused:

also, I used to listen to sky commentary for the races and F1tv for FP and quali and for this race I wanted to hear Jenson (who has really insightful comments and was generally the best today), but I will rewatch it with F1tv commentary to hear them as I am curious how they all saw it. Also I love Sam Collins' technical comments.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
French TV only picked it up during the red flag, quite a long time after it happened, and i think they saw it on twitter like most of us. But they didn't comment a lot about it after tbh.
Norwegian TV picked up on it from twitter, but they really made it a talking point during the red flag 😂
For once there was actually something ti talk about

coulthard and webber both always give fairly measured comments tbh - they’re much better than the offerings on sky (jenson aside): i should make more effort to watch the channel 4 stuff! virtual safety car definitely seems like it would have been a better option.

it’s wild how much drama he’s been involved in (leo vibes) but also wild that any team goes near him (his talent speaks for itself though i suppose) 🤣
I always watch channel 4... I never give money to Murdoch if possible. The downside is trying to avoid knowing the result before watching the highlights...:cautious:

I always watch channel 4... I never give money to Murdoch if possible. The downside is trying to avoid knowing the result before watching the highlights...:cautious:
that’s what i find! their show is on so late in the day that, by that point, i know the results and how things played out. they also miss a few things just from being a highlights show, but i like steve as a presenter (and he’s obvs easy on the eye 😏) and their whole set up is just more enjoyable. i’ll make an effort to watch them instead from now on as sky really really annoyed me today.

also, I used to listen to sky commentary for the races and F1tv for FP and quali and for this race I wanted to hear Jenson (who has really insightful comments and was generally the best today), but I will rewatch it with F1tv commentary to hear them as I am curious how they all saw it. Also I love Sam Collins' technical comments.
I used to watch all the races on F1TV, but my husband has a YouTubeTV subscription to watch football and F1TV doesn't have an app on our TV. So, it's easier to watch races on ESPN. I like Sky/ESPN because they show the gridwalk and anthem. I like all the build up to the race.

I agree about Jenson. I'm not sure I've listened to him before. If I was, I wasn't aware of it. He was really good today.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.