Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I made the error of doing SW a few years ago. I did lose a couple of stone but it taught me nothing about healthy eating or sustainable weight loss.
The funniest part was the tomato soup that tastes just like a well know brand, made using tinned tomatoes, pickled onions and carrots - vile stuff and the worst part is when I mentioned the tin of soup only having a couple of hundred calories anyway, I was shut down because ‘it’s not good for you though’ - meanwhile they are making cake with weetwbix

• Sick
Reactions: 11
Our slimmer of the week basket was always full of dried noodles, dried pasta and sauce and bruised old bananas 😂 😂
Luckily I never won it! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Our slimmer of the week basket was always full of dried noodles, dried pasta and sauce and bruised old bananas 😂 😂
Luckily I never won it! 😂
I used to bring back the fruit I didn’t want if I won it, which was rare but sometimes the raffle would get it if the winner left early

Reactions: 4
Someone kept bringing in tins of mushy peas for the fruit basket, for that bloody mushy pea curry :sick:
I’m just going to mark myself safe from mushy pea curry as I never tried it. I did make the fake tomato soup though

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I found a relic of my SW days in the spice cupboard as I was cleaning it out. Mustard powder. Because if you use mustard in a recipe it’s syns but mustard powder is syn free.

I looked it up and a teaspoon of mustard is SEVEN calories. Yet I was titting about with this crap to stay on plan. What was I thinking?

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I found a relic of my SW days in the spice cupboard as I was cleaning it out. Mustard powder. Because if you use mustard in a recipe it’s syns but mustard powder is syn free.

I looked it up and a teaspoon of mustard is SEVEN calories. Yet I was titting about with this crap to stay on plan. What was I thinking?
I had a similar realisation recently about olives. You could use them as a healthy extra B instead of bread but in only minute quantities , maybe 5? so I always assumed they were "bad" foods.

Looking at the calories content on them now, they are so low and not even in the same league as eating white bread. How were they ever considered the same and why were the quantities so restricted.

Reactions: 7

I had this feeling with gravy yesterday. 50ml of gravy has 13 calories!! Wtf did we do to ourselves 😞

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I’m just going to mark myself safe from mushy pea curry as I never tried it. I did make the fake tomato soup though
I've never heard of the soup before but it sounds vile! I make a gorgeous tomato soup I found on the Tesco website... Sweet potato, carrot, red onion, red pepper, tin of tomatoes and a veg stock pot. You can add low fat coconut milk at the end to make it creamy like Heinz but I prefer it without. SW would probably find something wrong with it🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It's funny because I now have the full fat versions of everything after years of SW fear of fat but I loathed fat free stuff and never really enjoyed the food. It always seemed so acidic, especially such emphasis on tomato sauces and fat free yogurt in say lasagne. 🤮 I remember being weighed by a reed thin nurse who said she ate full fat, butter, whole milk etc.
I still have a 30 gram program of cheese in my head though.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I didnt realise this thread existed.

Realising how delicious full fat greek yogurt is was a revelation for me. After years of fat free (even the better quality stuff like FAGE)

Yes I need to have a slightly smaller portion but it is so tasty. One of my favourite breakfasts with berries and shock horror a sprinkle of granola and some honey.

Full fat mayonnaise too. Delightful.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’ve really struggled over Easter this year. I know I’ve put on a bit of weight since last year, but I’ve recently come out of an unpleasant relationship and have been feeling low. I haven’t weighed myself because I panic standing on the scales - thanks SW!

I feel guilty about every single bit of food that passes my lips unless it’s SW ‘approved’. I get no joy from eating anything and even though I’ve eaten chocolate over the weekend I feel awful afterwards, and often spit it out. When I do eat I feel myself expanding immediately and it’s consuming my every thought.

Just wanted to write it down and get it out of my head.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
There's a guy on IG who shows the amount of chocolate you'd have to eat on top of your daily allowance for want of a better word. It was something like five large Easter eggs. That's to genuinely gain a pound of fat. If you haven't eaten a massive amount, you're processing water weight if you step on the scales and see a gain. Something like that. It was very reassuring and factual.

• Heart
I didnt realise this thread existed.

Realising how delicious full fat greek yogurt is was a revelation for me. After years of fat free (even the better quality stuff like FAGE)

Yes I need to have a slightly smaller portion but it is so tasty. One of my favourite breakfasts with berries and shock horror a sprinkle of granola and some honey.

Full fat mayonnaise too. Delightful.
Our consultant used to say 'if you say mmmm when you eat a yoghurt, put it in the bin as it's not syn free'... It took me nearly 10 years to eat a full fat yoghurt without feeling guilty

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Our consultant used to say 'if you say mmmm when you eat a yoghurt, put it in the bin as it's not syn free'... It took me nearly 10 years to eat a full fat yoghurt without feeling guilty
I don’t think I’ve ever said mmmm over a yoghurt but that’s not a great advert for enjoying foods whilst on SW

Reactions: 5
The stupid little sayings are ingrained in our minds clearly.

Its taken me so long to get portions under control and recognise actually its better to have a smaller portion and eat tasty food with a variety of nutrients including healthy fats. Than eat huge portions of bland 'fat free' food because its 'free / speed' and all the other stupid terminologies.

A wholemeal bagel for example as much more protein and fibre than the junk they used to pedal like Alpen Light bars or 5 cashnew nuts for a 'B' choice.

I lost a lot of weight at SW and was really the poster child of my class and I dont say that to boast but I was so often highlighted to new members 'look how well CaffeineFiend has done' behind the scenes I was an absolute mess, my eating was disorded, Id binge after class midweek, then spend 5 days barely eating, speed foods only, no carbs, and stop eating and drinking at midday for a 5.30pm class. Had a weigh day outfit. Once youre in that restrict and binge mindset for a date with the scales it is so so difficult to get out of. Do I believe that is the premise of SW. No. Its the nature and set up of the class that encouraged it with me. I didnt want to admit to all those people I had gained weight and talk about it. So Id do everything in my power to make sure I lost weight, no matter what. If I hadnt been to the toilet Id go to a coffee shop before weigh in and have a double or triple espresso to try and force it.

• Wow
I remember my consultant telling people that one lick of their child’s yoghurt pot lid could mean the difference between a loss and a gain that week.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Mine actually said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" in a meeting talk (I think attributed to Kate Moss?). I knew that was a real "yikes". I never even called them "syns" as it's a blatant attempt at brain washing.
---
I remember my consultant telling people that one lick of their child’s yoghurt pot lid could mean the difference between a loss and a gain that week.
Honestly, where do these people get off?!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
The same consultant also said that at Easter she’d just either just sniff or lick a piece of chocolate and that would give her the “hit” she was craving…

• Wow
Reactions: 5