Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is the second thread to talk about with like minds who are leaving SW for good and switching to more sustainable and healthy diets.

Many of us who have done SW know it promotes unhealthy eating habits and fear foods. The aim of this thread is to create a space for ex members to rant and ask for advice and support in undoing SW habits.

Whether your lingering issues are -
- fear foods (i.e olive oil)
- constantly looking at food as synful
- still measuring cereals, bread and cheeses and scared to break the habit.
- blaming yourself when you have a gain
- scared of exercise due to a consultant telling you it stops you losing weight.
Or any number of ways SW may affect still affect your diet after you've left..

Feel free to share what you are struggling with or what has helped you take back control of your diet.
Together we can put syns in the bin for good.

Couple of notes to add on:
- This thread is Anti Slimming World please consider if this is a thread for you if you are a current member of SW and/or very supportive of it. Please refrain telling us SW is great and we misunderstand it as a couple tried to in last thread.

If you are an SW member looking for tips on leaving you are very welcome here!

- If you feel you have developed a severe eating disorder please contact your GP for help as we on this thread can only give support and unqualified advice about slightly disordered eating habits and mindsets arising from SW membership.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I enjoy this thread title!

Are there any feasible alternatives to slimming world that operate on a more simple calories in/calories out basis where you still get to go to meeting and cheer each other on? I feel like the community aspect could be really good for me but I refuse to eat water yoghurts.

Reactions: 10

Are there any feasible alternatives to slimming world that operate on a more simple calories in/calories out basis where you still get to go to meeting and cheer each other on? I feel like the community aspect could be really good for me but I refuse to eat water yoghurts.
Haha your post about them underestimating your desire was the inspiration so thank you for that!

Reactions: 3

If you’re in Manchester or Cheshire they have this group, where you can follow any plan: https://beeweighed.co.uk/ I wish they had groups like this in my area!

Generally though, no. Most slimming clubs are tied to certain diet plans.

Reactions: 1

My virtual coach has a good community - it’s all online but still a fb group, WhatsApp chats, and I can message her 1-1 whenever I want for support. It’s pretty good and without the weirdly public weighing yourself 🤷🏻‍♀️

Just have a google of 'weight loss support groups' and your area.

SW will come up near top but have a scroll because often community healthy living groups put on weightloss support groups.

There are also some independent groups about, theres one called 'Weight Better Together' in Yorkshire. They have groups in Leeds, Bradford, Skipton and probably other places

Its ran by ex WW consultants made redundant I believe and they use nutracheck. They also offer a 'whats on your plate' option to not count calories which is probably SW similar
Screenshot_20230411-154004_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't know how good or bad it is because i've never been

tbh it would only be worth it if you really need and value group support as nutracheck is incredibly easy to use independently and many who visit this thread use it alone without a consultant or group with success.

Reactions: 4
I joined slimming world before I got married and hoped to lose a bit of weight. I hated the meetings and I wasn’t prepared to take a bit of fruit in so someone else could take it home, is that a thing everywhere? Anyway I went to my meeting, hated it went home and ordered a takeaway because the consultant said I’d look better if I lost around 8 stone and I could try to lose 2 stone a month. Honestly I was so shocked because I’d never be able to lose it that fast.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
I joined slimming world before I got married and hoped to lose a bit of weight. I hated the meetings and I wasn’t prepared to take a bit of fruit in so someone else could take it home, is that a thing everywhere? Anyway I went to my meeting, hated it went home and ordered a takeaway because the consultant said I’d look better if I lost around 8 stone and I could try to lose 2 stone a month. Honestly I was so shocked because I’d never be able to lose it that fast.
Dear god that’s absolutely insane. I’m sorry someone said that to you. It’s essentially physically impossible and bullying to say that to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Dear god that’s absolutely insane. I’m sorry someone said that to you. It’s essentially physically impossible and bullying to say that to you.
It backfired on me because now I’m actually really fat and struggle to lose it but even I know that I realistically can’t lose weight that quickly. Also absolutely loved listening to the tips and tricks in the toilets where members were sniffing cocaine 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
You can take it one day at a time. I lost an average of 1-2kg per month. Slow and steady wins the race, and anything you do is better than doing nothing 😍😍
It backfired on me because now I’m actually really fat and struggle to lose it but even I know that I realistically can’t lose weight that quickly. Also absolutely loved listening to the tips and tricks in the toilets where members were sniffing cocaine 😂

Reactions: 5
So to clarify your consultant told you to lose 2 stone in a month and other members were in the toilets sniffing coke while exchanging weight loss tips?

This sounds very farfetched....

• Haha
Reactions: 11
So to clarify your consultant told you to lose 2 stone in a month and other members were in the toilets sniffing coke while exchanging weight loss tips?

This sounds very farfetched....
Yes she did despite being bigger herself, and yes they were.
---
You can take it one day at a time. I lost an average of 1-2kg per month. Slow and steady wins the race, and anything you do is better than doing nothing 😍😍
That’s true, I try to calorie count more than anything else but do dip in and out of other things like fasting etc

No matter how slow you're going you're lapping everyone sat on the couch.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So your son buys you a gift and all you’re worried about is syns? So glad I got out of this cult 😳
It’s sugar free lemonade ffs. And no need to qualify he’s autistic but at least it got her 166 comments 😩

4thv5w.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 30

We created our own community slimming group which was created from being fed up of slimming world and the awful consultant who gave away deposit money for a food bank which turned out to be for a member of the social team’s daughters. Since then slimming world have tried to close our venue, our running costs are increasing thanks to Slimming World. We’re not currently sustainable but the leader is fighting on, mainly out of stubbornness. We are based on a city just outside of London. We can’t take any more members currently and we aren’t advertising due to the ongoing battles with slimming world.

I encourage anyone to find a local slimming community ahead of joining slimming world. I think slimming world is a horrible business that creates disordered eating and poor mental health.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
So glad I found these threads, I've had a good read through this morning. I was debating signing up online again as I really struggle to get my head round calorie counting. I have pcos and it's advised to follow a low carb diet, but then when I use Nutracheck I find myself becoming obsessed with looking at my macros and how much carbs/sugar I've had. But then reading through all the posts on here it's all so true and I know I really need to not join again

• Heart
Reactions: 2
So glad I found these threads, I've had a good read through this morning. I was debating signing up online again as I really struggle to get my head round calorie counting. I have pcos and it's advised to follow a low carb diet, but then when I use Nutracheck I find myself becoming obsessed with looking at my macros and how much carbs/sugar I've had. But then reading through all the posts on here it's all so true and I know I really need to not join again
Calorie counting is so easy to do. Download myfitnesspal and log everything you eat. You can literally scan the packaging

Reactions: 2
I do understand how it works but it seems like sometimes it's preached as being the only way that will work (not necessarily on here, I just mean in general) but when you have disordered eating then counting calories and weighing everything can become just as difficult as other options

I have PCOS and use nutracheck. Obviously everyone is different but I just make sure to keep my 'free sugars' under 40g, unless its a treat like this past weekend at Easter I had an egg so was way over that

Free sugars are sugars added in foods not natural sugars from fruit or veg which I don't count and nutracheck differentiates by colouring dark green on their graph.

I don't eat low carb anymore. I too was told its the only way to lose weight with PCOS.

I've found that by eating white bread, potatoes and rice (measured and Calorie Counted) it keeps a lid on my sweet cravings.
I've lost 2 stone since christmas eating carbs everyday.

Ultra low carb diets are not sustainable long term and your body hates it. Thats why after a few weeks most people give up let rip and stuff themselves silly with cakes, biscuits etc.

I find by having carbs regularly that I don't have any urges to binge on sweets anymore.
I am now able to have them as treat once a week or so and when I do treat myself its something proper like dairy milk or ice cream not a faddy diet replacement like a fibre one or whatever which I never eat anymore.

Denying myself no food (within calories) has been so much better for my mental health and my waist line so far this year.

But as I said this just me, not telling anyone to copy.

• Heart
Reactions: 9