Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was your SW consultant Nicola Ryan aka Fopperholic 🤔
No I don’t think so! Unless she had aged and renamed herself. She was a lady of retirement age whose husband used to come and weigh in too. He used to proudly exclaim to anyone who’d listen that he’d had 6 SW sausages for lunch and had still managed to lose each week!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
No I don’t think so. She was a lady of retirement age whose husband used to come and weigh in too. He used to proudly exclaim to anyone who’d listen that he’d had 6 SW sausages for lunch and had still managed to lose each week!
It was the sniffing of the food. Nikki was partial to that 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Our consultant used to say 'if you say mmmm when you eat a yoghurt, put it in the bin as it's not syn free'... It took me nearly 10 years to eat a full fat yoghurt without feeling guilty
She clearly never met Fopperholic, Fage and fat free yogurt addict 🤣

I think half these consultants have a screw loose. I've only met two who seemed the full shilling

Reactions: 5
I’m trying to work out if calorie counting for a bit might be better for me because I cannot stand how limiting the syns concept makes dieting, and how the value of the syns compared to calories makes no sense.

So I’m tracking what I’m eating via SW & CC

So far today I’ve eaten 823 calories worth of food
Which equates in SW to my Hex A x2 and Hex B.. and 20 syns!!
It’s just so stupid it makes no sense whatsoever

• Wow
Reactions: 11
They’ll say it’s programmed to make you choose healthier food, but I agree; I find it very restrictive.
You can’t have a sandwich for lunch, if you’ve had cereal for breakfast, but in theory you can have a huge bowl of pasta which could well add up to more calories.
I honestly hate the way of eating it pushes because I’m constantly thinking about food, and what I can have at each mealtime.
And I hardly ever enjoy any of it.
Despite the claim than you can eat what you want/eat loads and still lose weight.
I won’t even get started on the dubious idea of calling food “syns” which to me is an eating disorder waiting to happen.
And those awful yoghurts they push, plus the hi fi bars and things like fry light, which smells like it’s full of calories - well, I question if all that stuff is healthy really.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They’ll say it’s programmed to make you choose healthier food, but I agree; I find it very restrictive.
You can’t have a sandwich for lunch, if you’ve had cereal for breakfast, but in theory you can have a huge bowl of pasta which could well add up to more calories.
I honestly hate the way of eating it pushes because I’m constantly thinking about food, and what I can have at each mealtime.
And I hardly ever enjoy any of it.
Despite the claim than you can eat what you want/eat loads and still lose weight.
I won’t even get started on the dubious idea of calling food “syns” which to me is an eating disorder waiting to happen.
And those awful yoghurts they push, plus the hi fi bars and things like fry light, which smells like it’s full of calories - well, I question if all that stuff is healthy really.
Doesn't fry light duck up your pans? Imagine what it does to our insides

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had this feeling with gravy yesterday. 50ml of gravy has 13 calories!! Wtf did we do to ourselves 😞
I remember that Pinch of Vom got some well deserved flak because they had a gravy recipe that involved chopping and blending potatoes and carrots. It was a massive faff, way more calories than a bit of instant gravy, and looked tit but was syn free.

I’m trying to work out if calorie counting for a bit might be better for me because I cannot stand how limiting the syns concept makes dieting, and how the value of the syns compared to calories makes no sense.

Calorie counting was the one thing that took me out of the SW mindset. Seeing how the forbidden foods from SW really weren’t that bad for me and could easily be eaten in moderation.

Reactions: 7
Saw a post on Chubby Cubs fb page that there was a documentary about SW on radio 4 talking about calling syns makes it sound like bad food and the disordered habits SW causes. I’m going to try and find it for a listen but the comments on their post were interesting too.

Reactions: 7

Update: I stuck to this all week and lost 7lbs being in a calorie deficit lol
---
Saw a post on Chubby Cubs fb page that there was a documentary about SW on radio 4 talking about calling syns makes it sound like bad food and the disordered habits SW causes. I’m going to try and find it for a listen but the comments on their post were interesting too.
Think this is it? Will have a listen today

IMG_4424.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Share the link if you can...thanks.

I find this thread fascinating and I'm loving all the SW hate!

My mum's a consultant but as she's not one of the culty ones she's not part of their inner circle and they've tried multiple times to sack her lmao. (Mostly because she's not a happy clappy SW clone and her group is small and doesn't earn enough ££ for her manager)

As someone who can see their private Facebook 'inspire' group it's shocking the things that get posted. I swear these consultants are brainwashed.

• Wow
I find this thread fascinating and I'm loving all the SW hate!

My mum's a consultant but as she's not one of the culty ones she's not part of their inner circle and they've tried multiple times to sack her lmao. (Mostly because she's not a happy clappy SW clone and her group is small and doesn't earn enough ££ for her manager)

As someone who can see their private Facebook 'inspire' group it's shocking the things that get posted. I swear these consultants are brainwashed.
I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I get MLM vibes from the consultant recruitment 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I was part of the 'social team' at my group. Aka unpaid labour. I did 2 classes and would be there for 4 hours every single week after being in my actual paid job all day. However my consultant was actually a lovely person I lay none of my criticism of SW at their door. Feel like they were swept up in it all like the rest of us.

The 'area manager' would come and observe a class and then tell them all the things that werent being done correctly. If there was too big a queue at pay, marked down, the people doing the weigh in too chatty, marked down. Not strict enough if people were saying yep went out and had a kebab and 5 pints, shouldnt be laughing at that apparently. Also said that some members of our social team shouldnt be doing it if they continued to lose and gain the same few lbs. It was insane, I couldn't believe it really.

I went back to a different class a few years later and the consultant was a nasty piece of work. Id heard of her through the grape vine but it was really the only class time that suited me at that time of my life and I lasted probably 6 weeks because she was unbearable.

• Wow
  • Sad
For all the gravy fiends out there.... this is what we make at home - bog all to do with SW just trial and error over a few years.

2-3 big Onions - not those piddling supermarket onions the size of a small tangerine - I mean like a baby's head. We use Spanish Onions - decent greengrocers or costco normally. I've converted the wife to use them all the time - lots less peeling and tastier onions.
Handful (6-7) of Oxo cubes - or indeed whatever stock cubes you desire
Kettle of boiling water
Big solid Pyrex jug
Hand blender with some kind of blade in the business end - we have an old Braun blender thing with a bloody vicious bladey thing hidden underneath the hard plastic bottom 'skirt'.

Peel and roughly quarter the onions - dump the sections in the big jug
Bang that in the microwave for about 10 minutes on high - this softens the onions and gets them toasty warm
Boil the kettle
When the microwave pings pop the jug out - itll be hot so be careful - use a folded up tea towel or something
Add the oxo cubes to the onion jug - don't even have to crumble them up
Dump in a lot of boiling water - make sure the onions are proper covered. You can top up water as needed...
Gently get the blender smashing those onions up - take your time - it will splash - once you start breaking down the onions the gravy will form up.

It's a pretty thick gravy - and the above will make a generous litre or so in our big jug. If you're not a fan of thick gravy, you can water it down. You can zhush it up by adding meat juices or herbs etc - experiment. You could even dice/shred up some onion and plop that in late on after the blending to have oniony bits.

Good luck gravy fiends - My missus even microwaves the onions, takes them, pops the jug on the side. Adds the water and blends just as she's dishing up on Sundays - well, I say she adds water and blends - the kids enjoy doing it - even at 13 and 16!

Its pretty quick and easy - and doesn't give that unpleasant 'mouth clag' I find you can get with Bisto or other granules.

Reactions: 2
For all the gravy fiends out there.... this is what we make at home - bog all to do with SW just trial and error over a few years.

2-3 big Onions - not those piddling supermarket onions the size of a small tangerine - I mean like a baby's head. We use Spanish Onions - decent greengrocers or costco normally. I've converted the wife to use them all the time - lots less peeling and tastier onions.
Handful (6-7) of Oxo cubes - or indeed whatever stock cubes you desire
Kettle of boiling water
Big solid Pyrex jug
Hand blender with some kind of blade in the business end - we have an old Braun blender thing with a bloody vicious bladey thing hidden underneath the hard plastic bottom 'skirt'.

Peel and roughly quarter the onions - dump the sections in the big jug
Bang that in the microwave for about 10 minutes on high - this softens the onions and gets them toasty warm
Boil the kettle
When the microwave pings pop the jug out - itll be hot so be careful - use a folded up tea towel or something
Add the oxo cubes to the onion jug - don't even have to crumble them up
Dump in a lot of boiling water - make sure the onions are proper covered. You can top up water as needed...
Gently get the blender smashing those onions up - take your time - it will splash - once you start breaking down the onions the gravy will form up.

It's a pretty thick gravy - and the above will make a generous litre or so in our big jug. If you're not a fan of thick gravy, you can water it down. You can zhush it up by adding meat juices or herbs etc - experiment. You could even dice/shred up some onion and plop that in late on after the blending to have oniony bits.

Good luck gravy fiends - My missus even microwaves the onions, takes them, pops the jug on the side. Adds the water and blends just as she's dishing up on Sundays - well, I say she adds water and blends - the kids enjoy doing it - even at 13 and 16!

Its pretty quick and easy - and doesn't give that unpleasant 'mouth clag' I find you can get with Bisto or other granules.
Caramelised onion red wine gravy is my favourite but it takes sooooo long I only make it a few times per year.

So I may try this as it sounds less labour intensive.

Reactions: 1