Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Missed the beginning sorry - who are the votes from this time around? Does that mean 0 people voted for Olly?

Reactions: 1
Dutch broadcaster AVROTROS statement today (in english on the last 2 pages):

I still feel like there being a police investigation into his conduct towards a production team member meant the EBU had no choice but to disqualify him - especially as they had what, 24 hours max to decide?

*If* it turns out he hasn’t committed a crime in Sweden (whether what he did is a crime in NL or not is irrelevant) then it’s a massive shame for him but I still would 100% think the EBU made the right choice in the situation as it was. The Dutch broadcaster are being deeply unfair to the EBU here - whether or not it turns out the police investigation was disproportionate based on the fact it existed, disqualification was the only option for me - or the EBU could well have ended up with the SVT production team refusing to produce the show.

ETA: most of the could, would, should criticism for the EBU on this doesn’t take into account how little time they had to decide and communicate everything - and that they were presumably waiting for police updates at the time.

The “Israel weren’t disqualified for bad behaviour and Joost was” is a straw man IMO - Joost was, and remains, under police investigation. The Israeli delegation weren’t. The two situations aren’t comparable as “bad behaviour”.

Would be shocked if there’s broadcasters that have marketed their entry based on hateful rhetoric
Hateful rhetoric in your opinion. Along with your source being one Reddit post that was translated by a machine from Hebrew not particularly being proof that that was how the Israeli foreign ministry put it. After all, there were many many Reddit and Twitter posts claiming it was an Israeli that made Joost get disqualified before it turned out to be a member of the production. Do you have an actual source or at least a Reddit post translated by a human?

I think everyone knows how dodgy machine translation can be.

Rach88

VIP Member
I am happy for the UK to continue doing an internal selection. Despite them not all being the results we may have wanted - what they have given us in the last 3 years i would take over what we got the 10 years prior. At least as a younger person, I’ve love having artists I have heard of (I followed Sam on tik tok, knew one of Mae’s songs and Ofc knew years and years). The BBC will get it right again. I personally love when they send radio friendly pop lol as that’s what I listen to but maybe they should try something different next year.
Agreed think we just need to keep chipping away we don't need artists like Micheal Rice being choosen again and again

Merpedy

VIP Member
I agree, Israel used the Eurovision as part of their propaganda and she’s been brainwashed.
This is a hard argument to take seriously when you realise she’s lived in Russia so hasn’t grown up being taught the same propaganda constantly

Windermere

VIP Member
I can't bare rebecca... sorry.. never have done. Yes she can sing but her voice isn't pleasant to me at all. Plus hasn't she got the personality of a dish cloth

I would much rather louisa johnson

I think we could possibly see Sam doing it again within the next 5 years

Merpedy

VIP Member
I feel like it doesn’t matter who we send if even the British public don’t know who they/doesn't see anything of them before th Saturday night. Whoever the bbc choose, they have to invest in actually promoting them and the song. You can tell other countries’ fans know their song by heart, whereas for us most people are hearing the song for the first time in the grand final.
Yeah but most Brits aren’t going to be able to vote for the UK

Spain usually gets behind their entries - I remember I sat in front of some Spanish fans last year and they were praying before the song started for example - but it doesn’t seem to pay off

I think the whole being able to see people’s personalities behind the scenes and develop a bit of a parasocial relationship with them is great but doesn’t necessarily make a winning act

We just need a decent enough song with staging that isn’t random bs and someone who can actually sing

Though after this year I wonder if a lot of people will be put off from putting their name forward: (a) Israel may, and honestly probably will, participate next year and that’s likely going to be a mess again, and (b) there’s been a lot of discussion about how stressful it is behind the scenes with just the work in general. Not really worth it to represent a country that generally does pretty badly overall

Kakan

Chatty Member
Shame about Latvia but expected. They don’t do well at Eurovision usually so it’s a waste of money

though when they do qualify they seem to do pretty solid
I read the citizens initiative and it says "People who participate there tend to behave obscenely, and this is also stated as the norm", 🤣 so the writer thinks they should spend tax money on biathlon instead. Latvia is not successful in biathlon so it feels a bit strange to me, maybe the people who participate in biathlon behaves less obscenely but wouldn't count on that since most biathlon-people are Norwegian, Swedish, French or German.😂😂😂

Grifty Mc

VIP Member
If they got podge and Rodge to do it for Ireland I would throw out my British passport and campaign for UI right now.

• Haha

Kakan

Chatty Member
View attachment 2938449
The Israeli song hasn’t charted as well as other songs have which speaks volumes for it not being representative of anything
Something feels fishy with the voting because Israel got points from the pubic in all countries except for Croatia and Ukraine, and nearly only 12 or 10 points, but I checked a lot of countries charts on Spotify both streams on Spotify and the viral ones and Croatia, Switzerland and the Netherlands are doing best. They also have much more streams on Youtube than Israel. People also like France, Ukraine, Estonia and to my surprise Irland and Finland. For me those two songs was more performances so listening to them without watching would feel a bit strange. 😂
Also checked some of the last years winners and Loreen and Måneskin nearly 500 000 000 streams on Spotify, Spaceman and Ukraine around 60 000 000 each and Arcade over a billion so people normally wants to listening for the song they voted for on Spotify.

Skärmavbild 2024-05-16 kl. 01.08.23.png

Last edited:

Merpedy

VIP Member
That’s fair enough! Slovenia’s statement makes it sound like they think there was cheating though and the amount of people I’ve seen on X saying Israel only got the 300+ points because of the rest of the world vote is too damn high (and rather proves that it wasn’t just pro-Israel people that jumped on Eurovision while knowing nothing about it to politically vote and make political statements - clearly it happened both ways, the anti-Israel side is just less organised 😂).
Interestingly the ROW has given 12 points to Israel both years it’s been included so it’s a bit of a pattern

I don’t think it’s that problematic overall but I know some people had concerns about them voting based on snippets and a whole 24 hours before.