Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Vanelope

VIP Member
Dizzy was dull as dishwater, even the dirty toilet sexy spinning stage couldn’t make it stick. Can’t even remember it after a few listens. It’s not even as a tenth as good as anything Years and Years did.

He should have done something more in the vein of Lithuania’s Lulthelk (sp?). I could have imagined Olly performing something like that well. His live vocals would have been better with a produced dance beat. Even Austria did very well with a weak singer and created a banger that landed well with the general public based on the streaming numbers.

Was listening to Rina Sawayama’s ‘This Hell’ in the car earlier. That would be such a Eurovision bop. Easy to understand cheeky lyrics, bit of a gimmick, amazing vocal performance, rocking guitars, potential for amazing staging.

She would be great next year ✨
I really thought it was going to be her and I was v excited. Olly was a let down sadly.

Reactions: 2

CovergirlD

VIP Member
I assume (possibly wrongly) that the EBU has a checklist for the juries, so they'd be judged on various aspects, staging, vocals etc.
I also like the fact the juries have to RANK the songs. It makes it way more interesting and balanced. As we could see from the televote last night- so many acts with points under 20, then huge numbers for the favourites. It’s actually super hard to get televote points unless there’s a political agenda, or you REALLY stand out. The best performances don’t necessarily get rewarded but rather the crowd pleasers/things that really grab your attention. I personally love ballads so I’m glad the juries rewarded deserving countries like Portugal. I realised last night that whilst the quality of all the performances were faB IMO, none of them made me want to make the effort of going on the app and vote. 26 songs is a lot to get through in one night and they all can just blur into one.

CovergirlD

VIP Member
Lucie was a decent public choice to be fair. I quite liked the early 90s system of the BBC picking a singer (Michael Ball, Sonia etc) and then the public choosing the song.
Oooooo this I could really get behind
---
I can't bare rebecca... sorry.. never have done. Yes she can sing but her voice isn't pleasant to me at all. Plus hasn't she got the personality of a dish cloth

I would much rather louisa johnson

I think we could possibly see Sam doing it again within the next 5 years
OMG I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF LOUISA. Her music career never took off, her vocals are insane, she’s very feisty/charismatic on stage. Only thing is I know the song they would give her would again be generic 😭 BUT it would still do better than Mae & Olly because the vocals would atleast give it an extra oomph. She is the exact kind of vocalist we need if we want to continue going the contemporary/young route.

Kakan

Chatty Member
Ah yes totally normal commentary:

(Tbf this one is sort of funny. So it the Ukrainian one)

And there’s more - it’s a whole thread. Idk how it’s allowed for countries to be pointing out who likes them and who doesn’t as if it’s not meant to influence the public voting
This is way out line! One of the Swedish commentators Edward (the man behind masterpieces like Love Love Peace Peace) can be ironic but in a very funny way.

Grifty Mc

VIP Member
I was forced to go to a James Blunt concert once (it was a quid pro quo deal). He was quite honestly the funniest person I've ever seen in concert, it made me a fan even though I wasn't particularly beforehand.
I really like James blunt. Hated the song when it came out as too cheesy but I actually like it now as he is such a funny guy. I remember reading something years ago from people who served with him in the army and he was apparently really cool and walked about the base with his guitar and was sound.

Milliemoo99

VIP Member
I like the songs themselves.... its interesting to see a wide variety of different styles and nationalities,

But they need to redefine or clarify rules about staging... it should surely be about the song... not about the dancers or peculiar set. What on earth was Loreens performance last night about?

and the voting...stinks..... Olly didnt deserve nul points from the televote. And how on earth did the israeli performance score so highly alongside the Ukraine in the televote? Was Ukraine one of the favourites to win last night? Or was that just a popularity vote?

It seems faintly strange that so much of the European televote is so supportive of Israel ...... following on from the UKraine sympathy vote, it makes it sound as if Europe is as behind Israel in their battle in Gaza/Palestine, as they are behind The Ukraine in their battles against Russia. .If this is honestly the case why are there so many pro palestinan marches and demonstrations in the UK? And why are the EU so frustrated with the situation in Gaza?

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
There were huge campaigns to get people voting for the Israeli entry, from all countries. People with no interest in Eurovision were targetted, there were both overt "visible" campaigns and a hell of a lot of less obvious manipulation all over twitter. We remarked on it here as soon as they got through their semi final on the Thursday.
I think algorithms have a lot to play. Most of my Facebook contacts say nothing (and neither do I) but a handful are vocal (either side). So someone who might have been vaguely pro Israel might have been invited to vote.

I vaguely recall a Netflix doc where the Trump campaign were able to target potential undecided votes due to what they said on SM. SM is really a blessing and a curse.

Merpedy

VIP Member
I'm generalising a lot here but many of the Eurovision performers come from their country's equivalent of The Voice, X Factor etc. But I feel like the UK is bored of those shows and for good reason.

I liked Olly's performance but I don't really know where the UK goes next. Sam Ryder felt like an anomaly at this point 😂 there is so much talent in the UK but we can never get it quite right.
Wasn’t Sam pushed by Scott Mills or something?

Says a lot that someone who’s involved in the Eurovision bubble was able to push someone who was able to do well

Reactions: 1

Kakan

Chatty Member
People say this but a lot of successful ballads from Italy and France don’t have expansive staging and focus a lot on camera work setting the vibes instead. Even the successful ballads from other countries have fairly simple staging
France and Italy haven't been successful with their ballads since televoting started, the only time any of them won in modern time is Italy with Måneskin. The people voting seems to like up tempo. Also think they have an advantage singing ballads in their latin languages, it sounds pompous and dramatic in a way most other languages don't. And this year it was so many crazy staging France showing up at the end with one guy just singing a song without any ado felt like a relief for at least my poor eyes. 😂

As a none brit I think UK should do better if BBC had competitions letting people vote like other countries have, you don't know if a song is a banger before you tested it at people. UK have lot's of good song writers and artists, think the problem is that BBC don't take ESC serious just choosing a song and an artist. If that happen in Sweden oh my gosh it would be riots! 😂

ellieb123_xo

VIP Member
I think i said this on the NI thread yesterday but there is an Irish rap group called Kneecap who I disagree with mostly politically but they pulled out of coachella, probably at great personal cost because they disagreed with some of the sponsors. Bambie doesn’t give a fuck, it is crocodile tears.
South by Southwest* not Coachella

CovergirlD

VIP Member
Televote tends to shun folk music & I don’t trust the British public at all 😭 I need them to organize like a focus group of 100 super fans to vote on a couple songs before release.