Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

londongirl2001

VIP Member
While I’m happy enough with the voting system I do wish they’d speed up announcing the jury votes, that seemed to go on forever this year particularly 😂 there’s got to be a quicker way to do it while still having some drama.
They could do it in the same way the public votes are announced. But I think they don’t actually want to change it, as it’s Eurovision tradition. They used to announce every point from the juries/public; now THAT truly took ages 😁

Reactions: 1
A broadcaster funding marketing (which is usual btw) is very different to an actual branch of the government funding and helping with marketing

Especially when that marketing is based on a hateful rhetoric and it’s results are intended to be used for eventual propaganda
If the broadcaster is entirely state funded then it’s all state funded. State funding is state funding. Zelenskyy used the Eurovision win for Ukraine for propaganda too, he even wanted to speak at the contest the year after but was denied by the EBU.

The precedent was set years before by other countries running tons of ads, which continued this year, and by Ukraine’s win being political and used for propaganda along with the continued large public vote for them.

Just because this time it’s a country people don’t like or agree with suddenly they think it shouldn’t be allowed.
---
polish example is like the bbc marketing our entry, israeli example is like the foreign office or dcms doing it instead. so vastly different
Not all state broadcasters are equal - TVP is known for being little more than a propaganda mouthpiece for the Polish government which the BBC is not. Given the control the polish government have over TVP they’re far more similar to the government than to the BBC. Perhaps the EBU should change the rules so the advertisement isn’t allowed but as it stands Israel weren’t doing anything that hadn’t been done by other countries before and it was within the rules. They just did it more effectively 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

MarinaScorpio

Chatty Member
Banger of a song but she is probably the weakest singer this year. Also 70% of the performance was backing track so I’m not surprised the juries didn’t back it. Performing last also seems to be a seriously unfavourable spot. I was certainly ready to get to the voting by her performance- I appreciated it as a performance but I was over judging/comparing people from a competitive aspect by then.
I disagree. Nutsa from Georgia was a mess. She really struggled and her voice sounded terrible.

IndominusRex

VIP Member
Michael Ball and Sonia though? I mean they’re OK, but they’re not exactly cool and I doubt that either of them would claim to have universal appeal.
I’m not suggesting they do it again now 🤣 just saying that’s how it worked when they represented us back in the day.

• Haha

Grifty Mc

VIP Member
Come n though. The reason we all keep watching EV is political voting. Big Terry would have had a lot to say last night,

Corona

VIP Member
Have you guys listened to Dua Lipa's new album? I didn't realise I was listening to it and I swear I thought they were Eurovision bangers I hadn't heard 😅

• Haha
Poland also had a paid campaign for votes? Almost all the nations additionally had their twitter accounts promoting their act. That’s not rigging.

This happens literally every year for different acts. This and the amount of times I’ve seen I’ve borrowed my mums phone to vote 20 times too/got my auntie in Berlin to vote 20 times/texted 20 times on my other SIM card over on X, along with alliances to vote for home acts etc. Nobody complains that’s rigging so neither is this just because this time it’s happening for an act people didn’t want it to benefit.

ETA: completely agree on Bambie though. I think she wanted the votes from people who are pro-Palestine and wanted the head pats but didn’t have the guts to put her money where her mouth was. Which to me is a lot more shitty than up front saying “I don’t want to comment, I’m not going to make a statement”. Even if they’d disqualified her I don’t agree with PP it would have been disastrous, it’s a song contest. She’d have made her statement and it’s not like she won anyway, she was gutted to come after Israel. Disqualification having made her point would surely have been vastly preferable if she felt like she claims.
I agree with your ETA.
---
This is quite catchy lol:

It really is 🤣🤣

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I have Children Of The Universe by Molly Smitten-Downes in my head for days now. It was a great song, sad it didn’t perform better. And I was shocked to find out that it’s already been ten years.