Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Merpedy

VIP Member
Sam defo won official votes from being lovely. He played the game perfectly but I want to believe he wasn’t playing a game and is just a lovely guy. I’ll be raging if I ever hear bad stories about him.
This sort of assumes that the public knew he was a lovely guy to begin with. Usually the majority just tune in on the night and we aren’t able to vote unless we live/are abroad

Reactions: 1

Kakan

Chatty Member
Because in some of those Nordic countries their national finals are bigger than Eurovision itself. The Swedish one- Melodifestivalen is literally the most popular show. In comparison to that- nobody cares about Eurovision in the UK.

All Eurovision entries have to be released some time in March so they are definitely accessible.
True story, Mello as we call it and ESC are always the most watched telly-shows in Sweden and the talk of the town. We are weirdos. 😂But of course doing more like the Scandinavian countries with several competitions in different towns and letting everybody that wants write a song and hope it will be one of the songs thats gets to compete would raise the interest in UK. The only ones that don't want to compete in Mello are the really big Swedish artists because imaging being a big star in Sweden competing for Sweden in ESC and don't qualify to the final! 😱😱😱 That could end a career. 🤣

CovergirlD

VIP Member
I worked in TV production for a few years in the UK and during that time working on the Eurovision. With all due respect what I said above regarding the repercussions of the contract is fact not hearsay. If you want to ignore that it's impossible for an independent artist (i.e a self funded artist with no financial or record label support) to buy their way out of the contract that's your choice. In all fairness this is supposed to be a song contest, no one anticipated what unfolded.

Not asking anyone to change their mind or open a big debate. That wasn't my intention. I wanted to share what I knew and to give MY opinion on why I think it's wrong to take out the frustration on the artists who essentially have their hands tied unless their millionaires. The national broadcaster is the one who decides to enter and has the direct contract with the EBU. Not the artist. All complaints regarding a countries entry should go to the broadcaster directly. Let the national bradcoaster take the hit for pulling out not the penniless artists trying to catch a break. There has been very serious threats made to the artists on social media in the last 3-4 days especially. Some artists had clauses with their broadcaster that they would not speak in public about political affairs. I don't even know if RTE are happy that Bambie made their pro-Palestine stance clear? At the end of the day you're representing your country in a global format so there are lots of rules and regulations around that in the contract. We all know the Eurovision isn't supposed to be political, but it is.

The contestants couldn't win, if they said nothing, they were criticized. If they shared their pro-Palestine views they are criticized and now we're seeing they've became the target of a vicious online Israeli bot campaign making serious threats.

The competition was a mess this year. The fun is gone, I'm glad I don't work on it anymore. It was sad to see something that was normally such fun be a nightmare. One of the largest sponsors of the competition is an Israeli company, it's amazing how money can help people turn a blind out. The EBU have made a massive balls of this year and I expect they'll have to step down. I also expect the Netherlands will either pull out completely or sue the EBU for damages and pending Joost's case, possibly a unfair dismissal?

And it is against the rules to run large paid marketing campaigns soliciting votes. Since the addition of the global vote this has become an issue. Countries have been investigated for breaking this rule before. Israel have run large scale drives. A broadcaster sharing voting information on their act is not a rule break. The public vote results are not a true reflection of the Israel/Palestine stance. Pro Palestine and EBU voters boycotted leaving the mass Israeli campaign to crash the public results.
To me this is common sense. Also one has to take into consideration that the BBC’s participation fee is upwards of £500k then add on top the staging, the delegation, hotels etc we’re talking about 1mil to be a part of this show. Pulling out is obviously going to have intense repercussions.

TheArtisticMouse

Chatty Member
I noticed they started and ended the show with a dance track - so Sweden was Austria’s mirror and main competition. When you compare the two songs in that way then Sweden was clearly the better song. So people that like that sort of track were likely to give their vote to Sweden. If Austria had gone in the middle they may have done better.

I know the rest of the world got the same points as a jury, max 12 but I'm still want to know how many votes and from which countries out of curiosity. I'm nosy. 😅 But I don't think it was some kind of cheating with those votes.
That’s fair enough! Slovenia’s statement makes it sound like they think there was cheating though and the amount of people I’ve seen on X saying Israel only got the 300+ points because of the rest of the world vote is too damn high (and rather proves that it wasn’t just pro-Israel people that jumped on Eurovision while knowing nothing about it to politically vote and make political statements - clearly it happened both ways, the anti-Israel side is just less organised 😂).

londongirl2001

VIP Member
I mean, yes, 5 victories in 66 years is very successful (Germany for instance has won only twice), but UK‘s last win was in 1997 (!!) when much less countries took part.
Ukraine was already getting very good results - including wins- before 2022, within a relatively short time of participation, that’s all I’m saying 😁

Wrightie84

Chatty Member
No, but saw an interview with Eden, not quite the young victim that I imagined for some reason
---
Also...

View attachment 2956403
I agree, Israel used the Eurovision as part of their propaganda and she’s been brainwashed. If you search for it on tt. They said varies stuff about the uk Oli, saying his hobby is Israel and that he refused to talk to their guys. hinted about not voting for Greece and other stuff
---
No, but saw an interview with Eden, not quite the young victim that I imagined for some reason
---
Also...

View attachment 2956403

Anyone else loving Nemo?
seems such a sweet person

Rach88

VIP Member
I didn't like that the voting was open before everyone had sung this year. That might have given a slight advantage to acts on early and a lot of people don't watch the semis just the main show.
The thing with the voting whether they open it at the beginning or the when everyone's performed its not going to please everyone in previous years the early acts have been disadvantaged due to the lines opening up at the end now they have a slight advantage so it is what it is people moaned in previous years that the last few acts had the advantage and the eariler acts didn't so not sure how they solve that