Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheArtisticMouse

Chatty Member
But was it played anywhere else? Did he perform it live anywhere?
---
A lot of people I know who are big fans hadn’t really heard the song much, but had heard the Norwegian/swedish ones for example

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
I think the popular argument in the fandom is that juries need to have less of an impact on the contest overall, not to completely get rid of them
I assume (possibly wrongly) that the EBU has a checklist for the juries, so they'd be judged on various aspects, staging, vocals etc.

There’s political voting and then there’s straight up saying that specific contestants hate the people of that country

We all know that the “Europe doesn’t like us” thing is a joke. We don’t actually associate it with them wanting us dead and whatever other extremities you can think of
Er - I was replying to a comment saying that he wouldn’t have made the Ukraine comment in which the Israeli commentators didn’t say they wanted Israel dead or that they hate Israelis. I stand by that I think he would make a comment along the lines of Ukraine needing to send a decent song now the sympathy/political votes are wearing off 🤷‍♀️

And I doubt the Israelis meant it as strongly as it came across tbh - my point was if you took the “Europe hates us” jokes out of wider context and posted them as translated one liners alone, they’d sound a lot worse than they are in reality which I suspect is part of what is happening here. We know Graham is joking and being sarcastic. The Israeli viewers know Kan are being sarcastic.

vasilissa

Very sad to see loads of homophobic/transphobic comments already under Nemo‘s performance video on the official site. That was to be expected but it’s still terrible. Anyway, free Palestine and peace to everyone!
im seeing lots too and the NWO blah blah... so... icky. just be happy for the winner is that so hard 😔

No. I believe that someone that has cancer has it worse than someone with flu, but someone with flu is also ill and feels shit. They can appreciate they are better off while also complaining they feel shit. Both things can be true simultaneously.

It’s not a dumb comparison, you just clearly don’t have the empathy to appreciate more than one thing can be true at once and that you can be suffering even if you aren’t the worst off.
You are a strange one.

ishant

VIP Member
If the broadcaster is entirely state funded then it’s all state funded. State funding is state funding. Zelenskyy used the Eurovision win for Ukraine for propaganda too, he even wanted to speak at the contest the year after but was denied by the EBU.

The precedent was set years before by other countries running tons of ads, which continued this year, and by Ukraine’s win being political and used for propaganda along with the continued large public vote for them.

Just because this time it’s a country people don’t like or agree with suddenly they think it shouldn’t be allowed.
---

Not all state broadcasters are equal - TVP is known for being little more than a propaganda mouthpiece for the Polish government which the BBC is not. Given the control the polish government have over TVP they’re far more similar to the government than to the BBC. Perhaps the EBU should change the rules so the advertisement isn’t allowed but as it stands Israel weren’t doing anything that hadn’t been done by other countries before and it was within the rules. They just did it more effectively 🤷‍♀️

I think you’ll find that this has changed vastly after last election. And just before bbc isn’t as obvious about it it doesn’t mean it isnt a mouthpiece anyway lol