Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Israeli delegation are acting like a bunch of Scientologists.
I think the Israeli delegation are behaving like children but I also think some of the other contestants are too. The faux “I’m so upset” behaviour from some of them is overboard.

Reactions: 8
It's so sad when you see someone torpedo themselves in real time. Imagine finally making it to Eurovision years after telling your dead parents you would do it one day... then ruining it just because you couldn't hold your temper.

Reactions: 16
According to Swedish people on Reddit the legal definition of that is simply anything that makes someone feel unsafe/like their life is in danger

We don’t have any information on what he said so it’s hard to judge 🤷🏼‍♀️

I suspect the EBU would have dealt with similar incidents in the past because it’s unlikely that every contestant that has ever performed on Eurovision was the nicest person ever but they haven’t dealt with a legal element being involved hence the difficulty
I feel like the fact artists being a bit crappy must be fairly commonplace at Eurovision means he must have been really crappy for this to be such a big deal and for the police to be involved.

It’s a shame because his song is really good and his delegation etc have obviously put a lot of work into him going only for it to be ruined, or at the very least overshadowed, by him threatening a woman.

Reactions: 5
I think the Israeli delegation are behaving like children but I also think some of the other contestants are too. The faux “I’m so upset” behaviour from some of them is overboard.
I saw the interview with Bambie where they said them and her team cried because Israel qualified and did a dramatic pause. Generally I have the most respect for Bambie because they have been very clear about their views and their interactions with the Israeli delegation but like… do we need the dramatics of them pausing and trying to conjure up some tears?

overall it’s a difficult situation because none of the contestants seem to have been overly friendly with the Israeli delegation but having the delegation actively post stuff on social media is unnecessary

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I saw the interview with Bambie where they said them and her team cried because Israel qualified and did a dramatic pause. Generally I have the most respect for Bambie because they have been very clear about their views and their interactions with the Israeli delegation but like… do we need the dramatics of them pausing and trying to conjure up some tears?

overall it’s a difficult situation because none of the contestants seem to have been overly friendly with the Israeli delegation but having the delegation actively post stuff on social media is unnecessary
Agreed. And if Bambi felt that strongly, they wouldn’t be participating so the dramatics and tears seem extra fake. Similarly with the Finnish guy having to apologise for dancing with her and the video ending up online, if you don’t want that to happen then don’t dance with her, don’t do it and then throw your toys out of the pram later.

Israel need to stop attacking the other contestants though. It is what it is, just get on with it and focus on your own entry. There’s no point trying to rile people more, it’s insanely childish on all sides.

That’s a good point about Azerbaijan also - surely their entrant should have faced the same boos and hostility as the Israeli girl if it’s all about ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Reactions: 8
Well I think this is the messiest Eurovision ever. I’m back for my one day a year getting involved. I’m off to buy popcorn

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Why are people so sure Israel have it in the bag? Is it that they think the voting will be rigged or that there is genuinely a level of public support out there? My sense of things at least in the UK is that there are groups of people at either end who are rabidly pro/anti Israel or Palestine but most people in the middle wouldn’t have a particularly strong opinion, compared with how there was almost universal support for Ukraine in the competition previously for example.

Reactions: 6
That’s a good point about Azerbaijan also - surely their entrant should have faced the same boos and hostility as the Israeli girl if it’s all about ethnic cleansing and genocide
We all know people don’t care about every war and disagreement ever. This is such what-aboutism

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Why are people so sure Israel have it in the bag? Is it that they think the voting will be rigged or that there is genuinely a level of public support out there? My sense of things at least in the UK is that there are groups of people at either end who are rabidly pro/anti Israel or Palestine but most people in the middle wouldn’t have a particularly strong opinion, compared with how there was almost universal support for Ukraine in the competition previously for example.
I'm not convinced that Israel can win either due to polarised opinion. Hopefully the vast majority will just vote for their favourite song.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s a Eurovision tradition to be fair.

If someone wins and people don’t agree with it, it’s rigged. When the entry they want to win wins, it’s not rigged.

When Ukraine got all the points because of the situation that was fine and showing support but when countries who are allies vote for each other to show support, it’s rigged. Sam came second cos it was rigged for the UK to hold it not because it was a good song but he only didn’t win because it was rigged so Ukraine actually won. If the jury vote differently to the televoters it’s rigged because they should agree, if they vote the same then it’s rigged to make whoever they agreed on place highly/win.

I don’t agree with these but demonstrating examples that the argument it’s rigged has been back and forth for years 😂

Reactions: 9

Joost will not be competing tonight.

Explicitly stating it's nothing to do with other delegations etc. but it all rather feels very messily handled.

And if the allegations about Israeli delegation harassment to other nations in general is true and not being dealt with, it leaves a very bitter taste.

A tarnished year and a tarnished competition.

Reactions: 21
It’s a Eurovision tradition to be fair.

If someone wins and people don’t agree with it, it’s rigged. When the entry they want to win wins, it’s not rigged. When Ukraine got all the points because of the situation that was fine and showing support but when countries who are allies vote for each other to show support, it’s rigged. If the jury vote differently to the televoters it’s rigged because they should agree, if they vote the same then it’s rigged to make whoever they agreed on place highly/win. The argument it’s rigged has been back and forth for years 😂
Can you imagine what Terry Wogan would have made of all this? The man was apoplectic enough when it was just Greece and Cyprus giving each other douze points..

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm not convinced that Israel can win either due to polarised opinion. Hopefully the vast majority will just vote for their favourite song.
Ehhh, if you make it political:

In support of Israel: you vote for Israel
Opposing Israel: vote for ??? - there’s no clear agreed protest vote

That puts Israel at an advantage automatically

Reactions: 5
Can you imagine what Terry Wogan would have made of all this? The man was apoplectic enough when it was just Greece and Cyprus giving each other douze points..
I feel like he’d have stepped away from it all by now. Unlike some of the performers I think he had the morals to say “I don’t agree with this and therefore I’m not participating”.

Joost will not be competing tonight.

Explicitly stating it's nothing to do with other delegations etc. but it all rather feels very messily handled.

And if the allegations about Israeli delegation harassment to other nations in general is true and not being dealt with, it leaves a very bitter taste.

A tarnished year and a tarnished competition.
Do the Dutch still get to vote, as it seems the act rather than the TV broadcaster/country is being sanctioned?

Reactions: 3
Ehhh, if you make it political:

In support of Israel: you vote for Israel
Opposing Israel: vote for ??? - there’s no clear agreed protest vote

That puts Israel at an advantage automatically
Yes it does. I'm reminded of the London Mayor election. Nearly every candidate apart from Labour and the Greens were against ULEZ so the anti ULEZ votes were spread out between a range of candidates. I hate politics 😒

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.