Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happened during yesterdays jury show
So, as this happened during the jury show last night are they going to have say they have a technical problem everytime that Israel gets the 12 points and go to Martin to say the result because that's what it seems like to me.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6

Happened during yesterdays jury show
---

Political voting in this case very much means mostly votes from zionists, not sympathy votes
Political voting was fine for people when Ukraine won though? This just seems all very “it’s ok when I agree with it but not when it’s another side profiting”.

And the point remains, if there hadn’t been such a big deal being made of her being there, there wouldn’t have been as much reaction from the Zionists because they’re reacting to the headlines of her being threatened and protested against, and blamed for a Dutch guy being a bleep, simply for being Israeli.

ETA: and I’m sure there are people who think well the songs a banger but I’m not voting for it on principle because Israel - that’s also political voting but I guess that’s acceptable whereas the inverse isn’t? If you allow the public to vote politically when it aligns with your beliefs, you have to accept it when it goes the other way too IMO.

• Heart
I’m actually in shock that everyone is saying Croatia should win. It won’t be the first time I have been minorly outraged at Eurovision!
let’s just keep the ‘outside’ politics out of it.

come on Estonia!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
So, as this happened during the jury show last night are they going to have say they have a technical problem everytime that Israel gets the 12 points because that's what it seems like to me.
If the person refuses to announce it then? I assume they have a list somewhere to make sure there's no mistakes when making the announcement

It may turn into a whole mess because it's not only the contestants or members of the public that may do something as a form of protests - though as long as there's no stage invasion I suspect that the public is easier to control - it's also the people announcing the jury points

Reactions: 5
Linda Martin on RTE radio this morning said she thinks the guy from the Netherlands has been disqualified because of something he said to the Israeli singer. She is in Malmo and a guest of the EBC.

So which is it, an ill considered comment to the Israeli singer of a scuffle with a photographer? It's an awful mess whatever way you look at it.
Linda is a national treasure but when she was quite obviously after imbibing 'refreshments' giving out the Irish douze points in 2022 (30th anniversary of her winning, in Malmo funnily enough), I can't take her that seriously anymore.

Anyhow, this silly school yard stuff need to stop, it's putting me off my Swedish meatballs.

Reactions: 1
Thing about the Dutch guy is there is apparently a police investigation which is maybe why they can’t say much more.

Reactions: 3
Political voting was fine for people when Ukraine won though? This just seems all very “it’s ok when I agree with it but not when it’s another side profiting”.
Many people were upset about it too because we all knew the outcome when it happened

In this case the side that is profiting is potentially committing a genocide

A lot of your arguments around this end with no one participating and we all know that Israel would love for everyone to shut up about the situation instead of protesting. It also ignores that broadcasters aren't in the most comfortable position because the governments that deem them to be "national broadcasters" may be in support of Israel

if there hadn’t been such a big deal being made of her being there, there wouldn’t have been as much reaction from the Zionists because they’re reacting to the headlines of her being threatened and protested against
Lol we both know this isn't how it works for zionists but this isn't the thread for that

I honestly can see more drama happening in the main show tonight.
If these artists make a point tonight what can the Swedish organisers do about it. See, Ireland managed SEVEN Eurovisions during the Northern Ireland troubles. (I'm going to be petty here, but put that in your pipe Sweden and smoke it!)

• Haha
I never even considered Israel winning, if they do I’d imagine many countries would refuse to enter a contender and the big 5 would squabble who should host it (as surely it can’t be held in Israel for obvious reasons). The UK have already subbed in for Ukraine so don’t think we’d be in the hat which is a good thing.

It’s very very hard to separate music and politics this year 😔 I don’t blame the Israeli singer.

Looks like there might be drama of the wrong sort tonight, I hope not, my 9 am and 13 year olds are staying up to watch.

Anyway, we’ve been to IKEA, picked up tonight’s meatballs, lingonberry and gravy for tea and a nice Daim cake for afters 🤣 we’ve got a snack platter for the results show, and some drinks too. The sun is shining so off for a sunbathe and a snooze before the show 😄

Reactions: 11
I’m actually in shock that everyone is saying Croatia should win. It won’t be the first time I have been minorly outraged at Eurovision!
let’s just keep the ‘outside’ politics out of it.

come on Estonia!
Yes I wholeheartedly agree! Leave the politics behind and enjoy this evening with open mind and you might find a new favourite to vote for.
Estonia indeed perhaps 🤣 I’m SO broke but I had a free €2 bet with a certain betting company and I put €2 for Estonia to be in top 5 😅 I do, indeed, need a miracle or you guys to help a girl out and vote for Estonia to be in top 5 so I’d get €200 and be able to eat this week 😂😂😂 x

Reactions: 11
I never even considered Israel winning, if they do I’d imagine many countries would refuse to enter a contender and the big 5 would squabble who should host it (as surely it can’t be held in Israel for obvious reasons). The UK have already subbed in for Ukraine so don’t think we’d be in the hat which is a good thing.

It’s very very hard to separate music and politics this year 😔 I don’t blame the Israeli singer.

Looks like there might be drama of the wrong sort tonight, I hope not, my 9 am and 13 year olds are staying up to watch.

Anyway, we’ve been to IKEA, picked up tonight’s meatballs, lingonberry and gravy for tea and a nice Daim cake for afters 🤣 we’ve got a snack platter for the results show, and some drinks too. The sun is shining so off for a sunbathe and a snooze before the show 😄
To be honest I doubt many countries would refuse to participate when it came down to it as they all trotted off to Baku happily enough.

I do think there’d be a massive squabble about where it was held and just in general though.

Reactions: 1
I would need an Estonian recipe for next year, so it's a 'no' from me unless some Estonian Tattler appears so I can get some guidance from them.
---

Marty Whelan (Irish commentator) started out referring to the Swiss entry as 'he' until some producer in his earpiece obviously corrected him and then he was saying 'they' as much as humanly possible😅
Hi! Estonian tattler here 🙋🏼‍♀️ (I’m from Estonia, living in Ireland since 2005) 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I did an Aldi run earlier for picky bits, kept it relatively light this year (I usually order pizza) to make sure I'm not bloated and nodding off by half 9. I got an enormous tub of hummus and I've got G&Ts to keep me going.

I hope tonight can still be fun, despite all of the chaos.

Reactions: 7
To be honest I doubt many countries would refuse to participate when it came down to it as they all trotted off to Baku happily enough.

I do think there’d be a massive squabble about where it was held and just in general though.
in the semi finals, I saw the entrant from Luxembourg, who havent entered anyone for 30 years! With all this ....confusion this year, I think there will be a lot more countries next year who don't bother to enter next year!

To be honest, the fun of Eurovision is getting spoiled by the political undertones, In the semi final on Tuesday, I thought it was very interesting that all the countries who were next door to Russia, were voted through to the final! we have Finland, Estonia Latvia and Ukraine, Now maybe they were the best songs.....but maybe they were voted though on a sympathy vote...to remind Russia that we support these countries? Who knows 100%? But there are lots of coincidences at times!
plus of course luxembourg with their sob story about not entering for 30 years. Its not actually about the best song any more, its more about staging and being memorable, and people wanting to vote for particular countries.
Years ago it never really mattered that Ireland never voted for the UK, as there was enough balance between the rest of the countries, for it not to be too much of an issue, .......Now.....the voting games make it harder to enjoy the show.

I feel sad, the Netherlands entry is a total earworm in my head, but if he has potentially assaulted someone I probably have to stop humming it :confused:

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.