Escape into the Tea & Sympathy Support room.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My neighbour is doing DIY again and I cannot believe it.

They did a huge project that went on for months at the beginning of the year and I actually got quite ill from the stress of the constant noise, which was the loudest hammering and banging you've ever heard and wasn't even possible to drown out with noise cancelling headphones. It was absolutely relentless and he does at least one big project like this every year.

When he's not doing big projects there is, quite often, lots of DIY noises here and there for whatever else he finds to work on as he goes about his life.

I can't fathom what could possibly need work done to it this time and as soon as it started my heart just sank.

I've already lived in a flat above someone else who was really into DIY and I thought that was bad but he had nothing on this guy. Who has sometimes started before 7am and gone on beyond 10pm. The council are totally useless so I reporting it will be a total waste of time.

Need hugs if anyone has some going spare please.
He sounds very selfish.

Ok if paid tradesmen start work at 7am there's not much you can do because getting them to turn up at all is a miracle so you have to put up with their hours of work,

But if its just Joe Bloggs tinkering noisily about then starting at 7 am is an outrage.
Especially if youve been awake with insomnia all night and only just got to sleep.

I believe that when local councils look at noise nuisance they look at frequency rather the times it starts and finishes, although 8am to 11pm is usually the guideline.
Keep a diary of dates and times if you do have to go to the council.
Everyone is allowed to do DIY within reason but if its excessive, I think something can be done.
I imagine having to speak to him will feel like climbing Everest in one go without a sherpa.
But speaking to him is the first approach.
It doesnt have to be a confrontation.

Maybe take a small gift with you when you pluck up courage to talk to him.

Its possible he's a Git but its also possible he is so lost in his own world that he hasnt even considered how noisy he is and that its bothering anyone.

And he could think it isnt that noisy because nobody has mentioned it to him.

So maybe a chat with him might not be as bad as you think.

The key is for you not to get angry.
I hope you can sort it out.
Nothing worse than your peace and quiet being shattered by noise.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

They did a huge project that went on for months at the beginning of the year and I actually got quite ill from the stress of the constant noise, which was the loudest hammering and banging you've ever heard and wasn't even possible to drown out with noise cancelling headphones. It was absolutely relentless and he does at least one big project like this every year.

When he's not doing big projects there is, quite often, lots of DIY noises here and there for whatever else he finds to work on as he goes about his life.

I can't fathom what could possibly need work done to it this time and as soon as it started my heart just sank.

I've already lived in a flat above someone else who was really into DIY and I thought that was bad but he had nothing on this guy. Who has sometimes started before 7am and gone on beyond 10pm. The council are totally useless so I reporting it will be a total waste of time.

Huge hug from me and you have my sympathy 100%. No sooner had one set of neighbours finished building work, another lot started. It's been non-stop building for 8 months now. We live on a normally very quiet street but at times the noise is almost unbearable with the jackhammers, drilling, etc. And then there's the endless parade of delivery lorries, skip hire trucks, the concrete mixer, etc. Both sets of neighbours are sweet and we get on well, but I'll be bloody glad when it's all over.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thank you for the replies!

Thankfully this appears to be only a short burst as it has stopped now. Worst is when he has time off work and then it is just neverending. I mainly just can't understand how he can keep finding so much work to do. It seems like a form of insanity to me.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10

Thankfully this appears to be only a short burst as it has stopped now. Worst is when he has time off work and then it is just neverending. I mainly just can't understand how he can keep finding so much work to do. It seems like a form of insanity to me.

Some people just need to keep changing stuff.
They do something new, live with it for a short while, get fed up and start again.

They are exhausting.

Hope you feel a bit better now the noise has stopped.

• Heart

How annoying for you.... Hopefully the noise will stop soon

• Heart
That's lovely to hear thank you very much โคโค๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜ xx.
I saw your cute cat pics so found this pic online you ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜˜...

View attachment 682578
Pom I have just sent the old Ginger Tom to Montishito, he didn't mind he travelled first class with Whiskas en croute. He is going to piss on Doxys doorstep and crap on the path so that Hazzno treads in it and while he is hopping on one leg he is going to do an enormous spray up his legs.

As a treat for him he is going to shag the nearest pedigree cat who will produce ginger kittens as a reminder of his s visit.

Picture please Pom๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ˜ธ

This is such a lovely supportive thread - thank you for setting it up @Chita
Our Chita is such an enterprising person so much so that we are going to send her on a trip to Montishito to meet The Wanker and Wankeress and Chita will curtsey to them and on the way up she is going to kick the Wankeress in her chicken leg shin and head butt the Wanker.

Afterwards she will wear the spit and Gob green outfit and pretend to be a garden gnome so she can find out all the gossip from the Calicunt home, she can fly 1st class with Ginger Tom.โคโคโค๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Pom I have just sent the old Ginger Tom to Montishito, he didn't mind he travelled first class with Whiskas en croute. He is going to piss on Doxys doorstep and crap on the path so that Hazzno treads in it and while he is hopping on one leg he is going to do an enormous spray up his legs.

As a treat for him he is going to shag the nearest pedigree cat who will produce ginger kittens as a reminder of his s visit.

Can you send our local stray cat too please, a cranky pissy little f*cker... Not his fault , his "mom" went into a care home, the dog was rehomed, the cat was left to fend for himself ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก boils my .blood....

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
This is such a lovely supportive thread - thank you for setting it up @Chita
Our Chita is such an enterprising person so much so that we are going to send her on a trip to Montishito to meet The Wanker and Wankeress and Chita will curtsey to them and on the way up she is going to kick the Wankeress in her chicken leg shin and head butt the Wanker.

Afterwards she will wear the spit and Gob green outfit and pretend to be a garden gnome so she can find out all the gossip from the Calicunt home, she can fly 1st class with Ginger Tom.โคโคโค๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ

Can you send our local stray cat too please, a cranky pissy little f*cker... Not his fault , his "mom" went into a care home, the dog was rehomed, the cat was left to fend for himself ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก boils my .blood....
Poor thing can you call Cats protection and they will take him, it's not his fault after having a loving home he has nowhere to go

I would definately try and get some therapy for yourself. Don't worry about the other person, the only one who can fix them is them. Until they can see that maybe they are the issue then nothing anyone says or does will make a blind bit of difference.
If you can cut them out and go no contact do it, your mental and physical health is important. If you have concerns for the child make social services aware and you can step back with a clear conscience.
You don't need to be a punch bag for anyone, as you've discovered bringing them up on things does little except antagonise the situation and probably made you feel awful. If the behaviours were a new thing, I might try a bit longer, but as you've said it's been like it for a while then I would have no qualms about disconnecting from them.

This is something I relate too as I have a narcissistic mother (the narcissism is one of her more pleasant traits) no matter how hard you try nothing will change because the person involved doesn't take responsibility for their behaviour.

Take from this what you will, sending you big hugs, life with these people and behaviours is really difficult. Xx
Have a good night out with @Flairey she will sort you out she enjoys a tipple and you can prop each other up on the way home and laugh until you have to wring your drawers out

The Welsh Winery Wizard๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I would definately try and get some therapy for yourself. Don't worry about the other person, the only one who can fix them is them. Until they can see that maybe they are the issue then nothing anyone says or does will make a blind bit of difference.
If you can cut them out and go no contact do it, your mental and physical health is important. If you have concerns for the child make social services aware and you can step back with a clear conscience.
You don't need to be a punch bag for anyone, as you've discovered bringing them up on things does little except antagonise the situation and probably made you feel awful. If the behaviours were a new thing, I might try a bit longer, but as you've said it's been like it for a while then I would have no qualms about disconnecting from them.

This is something I relate too as I have a narcissistic mother (the narcissism is one of her more pleasant traits) no matter how hard you try nothing will change because the person involved doesn't take responsibility for their behaviour.

Take from this what you will, sending you big hugs, life with these people and behaviours is really difficult. Xx

Have a good night out with @Flairey she will sort you out she enjoys a tipple and you can prop each other up on the way home and laugh until you have to wring your drawers out

The Welsh Winery Wizard, the Sugar Plum Flairey ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Sorry folks cocked up last post and somehow repeated it, the old wrinkly is in a mucking fuddle today. Hope I am not being too rude would hate to offend anyone.

The coffin dodger gobs off yet again๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

Sounds like he needs a job on a building site. Constant noise is so stressful, you have my sympathy.

• Heart

Poor thing can you call Cats protection and they will take him, it's not his fault after having a loving home he has nowhere to go

The Welsh Winery Wizard๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

The Welsh Winery Wizard, the Sugar Plum Flairey ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Sorry folks cocked up last post and somehow repeated it, the old wrinkly is in a mucking fuddle today. Hope I am not being too rude would hate to offend anyone.

The coffin dodger gobs off yet again๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ
He is a cranky boy, an outside cat, quite "wild" we have tried making friends with him but he just hisses๐Ÿ˜‚ he kicks the sh!t out of my Tomcat and my other little female cat is scared of him too... He has psychological issues ๐Ÿ˜‚. Uncatchable is the way I will put it to you, one of the neighbours who is not an animal lover , gives him a sachet of food in the morning, I have said to her that the rescues would rehome him but as he is antisocial she thinks he would run away first chance.๐Ÿคท

• Sad
  • Heart
He is a cranky boy, an outside cat, quite "wild" we have tried making friends with him but he just hisses๐Ÿ˜‚ he kicks the sh!t out of my Tomcat and my other little female cat is scared of him too... He has psychological issues ๐Ÿ˜‚. Uncatchable is the way I will put it to you, one of the neighbours who is not an animal lover , gives him a sachet of food in the morning, I have said to her that the rescues would rehome him but as he is antisocial she thinks he would run away first chance.๐Ÿคท
The CPL have very humane traps they bait them with food and watch them, worth a try poor old sod

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Hope this is ok ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜ xx.

Resizer_16274879459800.jpg

On Damn I've made a mistake! Long poo line isn't meant to be there ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Tried to sort it ...

Polish_20210728_171522435.jpg

That's better ๐Ÿฅฐ

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

I haven't laughed out loud for AGES but I am laughing now.
I almost spit out my cheese on toast. [Almost.]

I'd better get my bag packed then.
I will need the green goblin outfit making a bit bigger to accommodate my ample bosom and my lockdown belly. My legs are better than hers [whose aren't?] but I will need shoes with a lower heel because if I try to walk in those buggers I will be staggering about like a Chav on a hen weekend in Blackpool.

• Haha
The CPL have very humane traps they bait them with food and watch them, worth a try poor old sod
Even the older cats can be rehabilitated. They're really intelligent and know who their friends are. Even the feisty ones can come around.

• Heart
I love strawberries. We used to grow them at our previous house, but the blackbird always ate them before we could get to them ๐Ÿ˜„
You need to net them so the birds canโ€™t get to them but you have to make sure itโ€™s tight so the birds donโ€™t get stuck in it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Such a lovely thread. I think it really helps when you've had a bad day or week reading on here. Its too easy to think you're the only one feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have always been lucky when it comes to mental health. My husband has always been the worrier out of the two of us. About a year ago I started waking up in the early hours feeling like I couldn't breathe and just really anxious. I started looking into it a bit more and it definitely seems to be common with the menopause. Damm hormones.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.