Escape into the Tea & Sympathy chat room #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Happy Lady

If you think you can sit in it for the ceremony and lunch/dinner then do that but take something to change into afterwards.

Is it a dress? Or skirt and top?
Plain or patterned?
How long is it?
If there's a slit at the back and the skirt is long enough, you could have a slit put in the front by a seamstress/alteration service.
Like making a "false hem" on someting, a slit can be made.

If it's a skirt and top, can a different skirt be used?

If its a frock and in plain fabric, or even patterned if you can find a suitable piece of fabric to go with it the dress can be unpicked at each side seam and two strips/panels created to widen.
It can be made to look like a feature as if the panels were always there. But will be tricky getting a match.

If it's never been worn, I would take it back to the shop you got it from and ask them to help.
Maybe exchange the whole outfit or part of it.
People in the industry are used to dealing with crises and can often fix things we think are just beyond solving.

Do it now while you have time.
Thanks @Chita. My daughter is a seamstress and she's coming round on Sunday. So I have nearly four days to lose a bit of weight and she'll see what can, if anything, be done. If it's hopeless I will go back to the shop on Monday to see about an exchange. It's a blue dress, (chiffon) from under the bust downwards, and cream above, with a cream bolero to match. I'll be gutted if I can't wear it.

The food I've been ignoring since the weekend is helping. I've lost 2lb. Time to lose another 3 or 4 at this rate, hopefully.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thanks @Chita. My daughter is a seamstress and she's coming round on Sunday. So I have nearly four days to lose a bit of weight and she'll see what can, if anything, be done. If it's hopeless I will go back to the shop on Monday to see about an exchange. It's a blue dress, (chiffon) from under the bust downwards, and cream above, with a cream bolero to match. I'll be gutted if I can't wear it.

The food I've been ignoring since the weekend is helping. I've lost 2lb. Time to lose another 3 or 4 at this rate, hopefully.

Bugger, sounds like emergency side panels/strips aren't an option then. Unless the chiffon is covering it all.
Maybe a front slit will ease the situation when sitting for the ceremony and food until you can get changed.

Keep us posted.

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Could she alter the shoulders on the 14?

Let us know! Good luck!

General moan about stuff.......
Talking is therapy and so is writing stuff down when fate has farted in your face once again.
Nothing seems to go smoothly.

When life gets hard and you suffer rotten luck over and over and when everything you try fails to come to fruition, all you can do is try to keep going and try to enjoy the little things.

I don't know if it's just me but a lot of food these days tastes of nothing. I had yet another setback yesterday and it took me all day to shake myself out of feeling fed up. I've tried everything and still failed.
When something happened that appeared to be what I had worked towards..... it wasnt what I hoped it would be.
And Im left fed up and thinking I dont know what else to do.
I eventually made myself go to get groceries after feeling numb for a few hours.

I bought posh bread and it tasted of nothing.
There was loads left.
Not wanting to waste it, I looked at it this morning and thought of the little things in life that are simple yet fabulous and one such thing is Dairylea cheese triangles.
The food that brings to mind a carefree childhood and happy memories of parents long dead.
I put butter and Dairylea onto some of the bread, put it into the airfryer and it transformed it into a lovely tasting feast.

OK, my problems aren't solved.
The setback is probably a permanent thing that I can't overcome but that little bit of comfort food was like a warm hug.

I don't know why I posted this, but I just felt I wanted to. I can't keep bothering friends and family with my problems because they have their own to deal with and at the end of the day nobody else can fix my problems.
So, it's got to be focus on the little pleasures in life, shove the bad stuff to the back of the mind and keep trying.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
General moan about stuff.......
Talking is therapy and so is writing stuff down when fate has farted in your face once again.
Nothing seems to go smoothly.

When life gets hard and you suffer rotten luck over and over and when everything you try fails to come to fruition, all you can do is try to keep going and try to enjoy the little things.

I don't know if it's just me but a lot of food these days tastes of nothing. I had yet another setback yesterday and it took me all day to shake myself out of feeling fed up. I've tried everything and still failed.
When something happened that appeared to be what I had worked towards..... it wasnt what I hoped it would be.
And Im left fed up and thinking I dont know what else to do.
I eventually made myself go to get groceries after feeling numb for a few hours.

I bought posh bread and it tasted of nothing.
There was loads left.
Not wanting to waste it, I looked at it this morning and thought of the little things in life that are simple yet fabulous and one such thing is Dairylea cheese triangles.
The food that brings to mind a carefree childhood and happy memories of parents long dead.
I put butter and Dairylea onto some of the bread, put it into the airfryer and it transformed it into a lovely tasting feast.

OK, my problems aren't solved.
The setback is probably a permanent thing that I can't overcome but that little bit of comfort food was like a warm hug.

I don't know why I posted this, but I just felt I wanted to. I can't keep bothering friends and family with my problems because they have their own to deal with and at the end of the day nobody else can fix my problems.
So, it's got to be focus on the little pleasures in life, shove the bad stuff to the back of the mind and keep trying.
It's always good to have a moan, and I love the idea of childhood food... my mother used to make turkey soup from xmas leftovers, my dad also makes it but it's evolved over the last 2 decades to be much chunkier and thicker (more like a stew really). And my gran used to make meat and taity pie (which was more potato than meat - a throwback to rationing), I still use that pan today.

I could talk about food all day really... we definitely had a 'food as a reward' type of childhood which definitely explains my waistline.

I was at the GPs yesterday, I contacted them on tuesday because I have tendonitis (probably from scrolling Tattle too much, it's not the first time lol) and just wanted to double check I could take ibuprofen... ended up with an offer of antidepressants 'for the pain'. He was a nice enough Doc, but why they feel the need to throw ADs at 'women of a certain age' god only knows, it's only been playing up for a couple of weeks 🤷‍♀️. I left with some stronger anti inflammatories and a link to a youtube video about how to strap your wrist.

Needless to say, it feels slightly better today because I'm on the big pills and I have some fetching blue sports tape running up my arm, but I'm still a bit gobsmacked at how much he pushed the ADs. I've had them before (many years back when I was having panic attacks) and yes, I slept like a baby but was monosyllabic for the first 2 hours in the morning... not something I would repeat lightly.

• Heart
It's always good to have a moan, and I love the idea of childhood food... my mother used to make turkey soup from xmas leftovers, my dad also makes it but it's evolved over the last 2 decades to be much chunkier and thicker (more like a stew really). And my gran used to make meat and taity pie (which was more potato than meat - a throwback to rationing), I still use that pan today.

I could talk about food all day really... we definitely had a 'food as a reward' type of childhood which definitely explains my waistline.

I was at the GPs yesterday, I contacted them on tuesday because I have tendonitis (probably from scrolling Tattle too much, it's not the first time lol) and just wanted to double check I could take ibuprofen... ended up with an offer of antidepressants 'for the pain'. He was a nice enough Doc, but why they feel the need to throw ADs at 'women of a certain age' god only knows, it's only been playing up for a couple of weeks 🤷‍♀️. I left with some stronger anti inflammatories and a link to a youtube video about how to strap your wrist.

Needless to say, it feels slightly better today because I'm on the big pills and I have some fetching blue sports tape running up my arm, but I'm still a bit gobsmacked at how much he pushed the ADs. I've had them before (many years back when I was having panic attacks) and yes, I slept like a baby but was monosyllabic for the first 2 hours in the morning... not something I would repeat lightly.
They give them out like sweeties.

Dairylea on toast will make you feel better.
Did me.

Childhood foods can give you an immediate mood lift because the memory of it can transport you to a happier time.
Hope the pain goes soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
They give them out like sweeties.

Dairylea on toast will make you feel better.
Did me.

Childhood foods can give you an immediate mood lift because the memory of it can transport you to a happier time.
Hope the pain goes soon.
Tattling thru the pain @Chita tattling thru the pain ;) priorities and all that :)

Hiya everyone 🤍 Everyone was so lovely the last time I commented (update: I haven’t woken up in the night feeling claustrophobic for a week now, yay) so I wanted to ask for some advice

This might sound pathetic to some of you (it is lol) but I’ve started a new job and it’s a big pay rise from my last job and all I have to do is work an extra 10 hours a week (so 40 hours and I’m only used to doing 30). I have really bad anxiety over doing this many hours because I worry that I won’t be able to do it or that I’ll be too tired or won’t adjust so I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how I can make the adjustment easier. Idk I just feel like I won’t have time for anything else doing 40 hours but then everyone does it. Hope that makes some kind of sense ☺🤪

Hope everyone is well 🤍

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hiya everyone 🤍 Everyone was so lovely the last time I commented (update: I haven’t woken up in the night feeling claustrophobic for a week now, yay) so I wanted to ask for some advice

This might sound pathetic to some of you (it is lol) but I’ve started a new job and it’s a big pay rise from my last job and all I have to do is work an extra 10 hours a week (so 40 hours and I’m only used to doing 30). I have really bad anxiety over doing this many hours because I worry that I won’t be able to do it or that I’ll be too tired or won’t adjust so I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how I can make the adjustment easier. Idk I just feel like I won’t have time for anything else doing 40 hours but then everyone does it. Hope that makes some kind of sense ☺🤪

Hope everyone is well 🤍

Like you say, others work 40 hours a week. Before I retired I used to make sure my housework was done over the weekend, enjoy Friday and Saturday nights out relaxing. And I had a ME night too - Thursday nights after tea, I would pamper myself ready for the weekend. Soak in bubble bath, manicure, face mask - anything that I wanted. Then had an early night with a good read first.

When you arrive in work each day, I'd suggest you grab a coffee, check emails and prioritise your day ahead. Enjoy learning your new roll, make new friends, and before you know it, hometime will have arrived. 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Hope everyone is well 🤍
Good luck with your new job!
That's great news on the claustrophobia 😍
It will take some time to get used to the longer hours but there are things you can do to help yourself. Have a think about what you used to do with those extra hours of spare time. Did you sit around reading or lie in bed thinking about getting up? Or did you do really productive things that you now can't fit in? That should give you some clues...
For me, and I commuted to London and did very long hours in a management role, it was:
What to wear
What to eat / buy food
When to wash my hair (it's long)
Filling up with petrol
Etc
Your list may be different. So....I would decide what to wear the night before, plan, buy and prep food at the weekends, wash my hair in the evenings instead of the morning, fill up with fuel when I had chance, not when I was running on fumes.
I think if you work out what's making you anxious it will help.
Be kind to yourself, get enough sleep, and maybe scale back social things in the week until you have settled into the role.
Look after yourself ❤

• Heart
@lozzapaloozza youve had 2 good replies there. Cant really add anything new except, pace yourself and take it easy.

@Happy Lady - update on the wedding outfit, please.

Sunday - daughter came round. I absolutely love the dress, managed to sit down so keeping it. My only issue now is that as soon as I eat everything lodges in my tummy and it pulls on the dress. 🙄. I'm still taking another with me for the evening. I'm still not altogether happy, but that's my own fault. 🥺 But on a positive note, I've lost nearly half a stone very quickly. 😁.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sunday - daughter came round. I absolutely love the dress, managed to sit down so keeping it. My only issue now is that as soon as I eat everything lodges in my tummy and it pulls on the dress. 🙄. I'm still taking another with me for the evening. I'm still not altogether happy, but that's my own fault. 🥺 But on a positive note, I've lost nearly half a stone very quickly. 😁.
well done.
Dont forget to enjoy yourself at this do.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Update on the dress. My dieting worked - the dress fitted comfortably. Thank goodness 🥳. Great wedding. I now have a gorgeous daughter in law. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I haven’t been on here for a while and feel a little guilty about it but needed to come over to thank everyone who has given me advice and virtual hugs to help me get through this past year. I can’t believe it was a year ago today that my wonderful husband passed away and yet sometimes it seems like forever. With your help and advice I managed to get through the first Christmas without him and just 3 days ago, on the 1st July, would have been his birthday so that was the final 'first' milestone to cope with.
It is good to talk with you and those who have gone through similar experiences as sometimes it is easier to speak about your true feelings on here than with family or friends.

Today a friend is coming round to see me. I have known her for about 57 years, we used to go out clubbing and on holiday together when we were teenagers and we were both bridesmaids for each other when we got married. Fate had it that we should become widows almost at the same time - her husband dying 5 weeks after mine. We have got closer again and have helped each other get through but sometimes I am frightened of saying things which might upset her and that is when I came on here. No doubt we will shed a few tears this afternoon remembering the ‘Good old days’ but without friends like her and my new friends on here I wouldn’t have coped half as well as I have. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart, you are all so caring. Bless you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.