Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

McJiblo

Not about Eoghan McDermott but years ago when I was a teenager I text in to a radio show. I’m pretty sure I said the DJ in question was cute or similar. He ended up texting me off his own phone later that day and sending in appropriate messages. At the time I thought it was great getting attention from this radio DJ and didn’t see the problem. ( I was about 15 at the time). The texts got too much even for stupid teenage me and i stopped replying. That Radio DJ is still on air today and I keep checking to see if anyone has said anything about him. I won’t name him as I don’t have proof. I’m just wondering now is this common in Radio DJ culture.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 26

DailyGlitter

I do not know one person who likes him (even prior to this) or rates him as a presenter.

He is another example of the RTE gravy train in action - they wheel out the same tired people all the time while home-grown talent goes abroad as RTE just keeps the same faces until they retire. Doireann is about as funny as a heart attack yet the two of them land a primetime show on the national broadcaster? The mind boggles. I would love to see RTE shut down.

ChitChat2021

Just going back to the story posted on Reddit by alleged victim. Firstly what direction did she think the friendship was going? Meeting in bars and going for food and drinks? People have a few drinks they get giddy and stupid and loose inhibitions. That's the norm. How many of us have had fumbles and gropes and it's all part of the bumpy ride. To publicly put that stuff out there is hugely damaging. Why did she hook up again with him after the incident in Spin headquarters. No matter what she has destroyed him. Not saying he's without blame but she has to now shoulder the responsibility of what's shes done. I personally couldn't live with it.
“fumbles and gropes” - you clearly came on here to provoke. You know we are talking about something else entirely. Why don’t you take responsibility for your toxic views and victim blaming?!

Thats your opinion. That girl felt it was right for her - you don't know why, she could have tried legally, she could have tried with the Gardai.

If it is, what you purport, just a social media post - why has Eoghan basically disappeared and RTE removed his name from everything?

This hasn't come out of the blue - you can see on twitter people were alluding to it for quite a few years.
The girl in question did go to the guards. They told her not to persue it because he would more than likely get off because of who he is and it would be even more traumatic for her. The current system was built on misogyny and is not fit for purpose. If it was victims wouldn't feel the need to expose predators in this way. Unfortunately this is the only way to hold these abusers accountable and prevent it happening to others. I fully understand why she did it this way. It was her only option.

Sstar

It was mentioned up above but I do also feel sorry for his sister Roe - can't even imagine how confronting this would be for her after what she's been through herself. I think it's unfair for people to target any hate at her - no-one is responsible for the actions of their family members.

Catkc_77

Irish radio seems to be one big lads club from the 19th century, saw this today:

yet another "radio personality" that thinks they can be an obnoxious pig, his employer and business tagged on his page too, no shame

• Sick
  • Wow

Emerald37

VIP Member
I noticed Paddy Jackson was trending again yesterday, his current rugby club tweeted something featuring him and two other players,my goodness and the knives were out in force! #ibelieveher was also trending.McD would've been one of that brigade. FYI I felt
heartbroken for the lady in question and believe her. It stirred up memories of nights out when I was in late teens/early 20s in college many years ago, doing things I certainly didn't consent to with entitled assholes but it's only dawning on me now how completely wrong it was. One must wonder how does he feel now the boot is on the other foot? Hypocrite. As far as I'm aware and correct me if I'm wrong but under Irish law in order to protect victims, defendants/accused in rape/sexual assault cases cannot be named whether its ongoing or finalised hence the complete silence? If the incident involving Jackson et al happened in say,Dublin then the resulting court case wouldn't have named them at all? Unless of course the victim waved her anonymity if they were found guilty.
Jackson was not tried under Irish law
Northern Ireland is under British jurisdiction
The Irish justice system would have had a closed court and no one be would have been named unless found guilty and she would have been anonymous.
Sadly for the poor victim who I totally believe, she was at the mercy of the crown prosecution system not the Irish one.

People were able to sit in the courtroom and abuse her. What a joke.
He is a revolting pig.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Freddie101

The questioning of the length of time it takes victims to speak out is something that’s conditioned into people. Unfortunately.
Women experience internalised misogyny unfortunately.
Perpetrated by patriarchy.
I’m not saying that it’s just women who suffer abuse, but, for the sake of this post on a what I would assume mostly female website & the case in question a male allegedly (not proven yet) perpetrating abuse on a female.

I get that people ask the question thinking that it’s an innocent thing to ask but there are many reasons people don’t come out until they are ready or not at all.

1) They feel ashamed & blame themselves
2) They have been groomed and threatened that nobody will believe them
3) They see other cases in the media where the perpetrator gets away with the crime.
4) they are discouraged by family / friends
5) they are suffering greatly with mental health issues and scared they won’t be able to deal with the process

etc etc etc etc

The last few years has brought about a sense of solidarity with the #metoo movement & gave everyone (all genders) the ability to feel empowered. The strength to speak out.

At least once a week there is a historical sex abuse case in the media. Some people choose to waive anonymity to help themselves to heal but also to help others to come out & seek help for themselves. This is a good thing.

It has helped people to seek help.
Maybe that’s why this girl has decided to speak out now

• Heart

ahtisyourself

VIP Member
Do you know what I just read something there online and it made me rethink. I don’t think Doireann should have to say anything about Eoghan at all or even refer to him if it’s not something she’s comfortable with. I regret saying what I said earlier, not that I ever meant she should address the allegations. But yeah, it’s not for her to address his absence. Let’s just hope something more comes of this apart from tumbleweeds and silence. It has to!

• Heart

Annnnieyokes

Not about Eoghan McDermott but years ago when I was a teenager I text in to a radio show. I’m pretty sure I said the DJ in question was cute or similar. He ended up texting me off his own phone later that day and sending in appropriate messages. At the time I thought it was great getting attention from this radio DJ and didn’t see the problem. ( I was about 15 at the time). The texts got too much even for stupid teenage me and i stopped replying. That Radio DJ is still on air today and I keep checking to see if anyone has said anything about him. I won’t name him as I don’t have proof. I’m just wondering now is this common in Radio DJ culture.

I worked in Irish media for a while. The onscreen personalities are usually self obsessed assholes who genuinely believe they are gods gift. There are notable exceptions but the level of entitlement and illusions of grandeur that some of them possess is incredible. Also the amount of nepotism is just unbelievable. Everyone working backstage in RTE or producing is the friend or relative of someone. It's the reason so many decent personalities end up in the UK or US. Serious glass ceiling.

Freddie101

Has anyone commented on Doireanns post asking what happened to Eoghan?
I really don’t think it’s fair that she is continuously getting badgered over this.
I have seen her leaving comments on other IG accounts completely unrelated to anything to do with him and people will be straight in asking her about him.
They were cohosts, but, they are 2 different people. She isn’t responsible for him. She is also not responsible for defending him.
They could have had an entirely professional relationship & she won’t be able to respond about it anyway. So constantly asking will get people nowhere but I’m sure drive her around the bend.
But, I just feels it’s completely unfair that she is having to deal with any sort of Qs to do with him. I’d imagine that has been upsetting for her, the last few months, regardless of her relationship with him now. She should be able to do her job in peace

Reactions: 24

Bettybob

I wonder what will happen to the radio show? Doireann just not charismatic enough to carry on her own IMO. Rte should really get some new talent and not rehash the same old shite. Not that I tune in too often as it’s covid coverage is fucking doomsday ville
Get the 2 johnnie's on as replacement...but i did love jenny and nicky on that morning slot too

Transparency

Chatty Member
I'm so sorry this happened to you. It happened to me over 15 years ago too when I was a very young teenager. I only realised the severity of what happened years later when I was watching a tv show about grooming. I was a baby. My abuser was in his late 20's, he manipulated and coerced me into doing things I was in no way ready for. I won't ever speak out about what happened to me because I don't want to hurt my family. I don't want people to wonder what took me so long. I don't want anyone to doubt my story. So I'll keep it to myself and loudly cheer on those who are braver than me.

Edited to add I still haven't fully processed what happened. People have no idea what sexual assault does to a person. It's much more complicated than people who haven't experienced it imagine.
Everytime I see someone find the strength to speak out I see people question her, why didn’t she say something to someone straight away, why did she go to his house, why did she breath in his direction
The second you question someone who’s a victim you belittle the story she’s telling , it will have taken sometimes years of bursting to speak out, years of feeling dirty, years of feeling damaged to finally speak out & it angers me so much to see women question any word another woman has to say about her story

• Heart

topbop

I am telling the truth and it is horrible. It happens way more often than people think. I have no reason to lie?

You automatically doubt if I am telling the truth (which is healthy and normal) but a stranger who made her accusation on social media against a wealthy man you fully believe? 🤔
Of course people doubt what you say, you're on an anonymous forum. People didn't just question Eoghan over 1 anonymous tweet. It was an accumulation of things. He was let go from RTE and complete radio silence from him in all aspects. Not even a whisper from him on SM. Maybe he has been advised not to. Maybe he is innocent. It is still highly suspicious though. If he is innocent, it will go to court, he can prove it. And yes, that case of your friend being wrongly accused is awful. His life ruined over false claims. And I think we can all acknowledge that false claims do happen. But a huge amount of abuse and rape claims are not reported. The ones that do get reported have a terrible time, having to prove they didn't 'ask for it'. In the Paddy Jackson trial that woman's application of fake tan and choice of underwear was discussed in court, in the media. No one, no one, would choose to have their choices picked apart in the public. The system is incredibly flawed and harmful.

To quote you: "But in my experience it seems easier as it is more accepted /talked about, whatever you wanna say. They have support groups and for the most part (I'm generalising) they don't loose their jobs, family and have to move whereas if your in the other position you do."
Are you actually saying it is better to be the victim than the one accused?! Seriously? The victims haver support groups and can talk about it. That is fucked up thinking. Ask any victim of a crime, if they have it easier, as they have support groups and can talk about it to family and friends. It's not like we want to be victims cos it's the 'in thing'. I understand that you have personal experience of someone being wrongly accused, but you have veered so far in the opposite direction that you're not just victim blaming, you're saying the victim is better off than the accused. Fuck me I've read it all.

• Heart

Irishjools

What are men getting away with?! Victim/survivor accounts of what happened to them on this are just shocking. And this is only a tiny representative of the female population. Ive been prompted myself to look back at my early twenties and I feel uneasy about situations I blamed myself for getting in, the irony of blaming myself even!!! When you really examine it the issue of consent and just fucking human decency is seriously lacking in our society.

Kellypol

I noticed Paddy Jackson was trending again yesterday, his current rugby club tweeted something featuring him and two other players,my goodness and the knives were out in force! #ibelieveher was also trending.McD would've been one of that brigade. FYI I felt
heartbroken for the lady in question and believe her. It stirred up memories of nights out when I was in late teens/early 20s in college many years ago, doing things I certainly didn't consent to with entitled assholes but it's only dawning on me now how completely wrong it was. One must wonder how does he feel now the boot is on the other foot? Hypocrite. As far as I'm aware and correct me if I'm wrong but under Irish law in order to protect victims, defendants/accused in rape/sexual assault cases cannot be named whether its ongoing or finalised hence the complete silence? If the incident involving Jackson et al happened in say,Dublin then the resulting court case wouldn't have named them at all? Unless of course the victim waved her anonymity if they were found guilty.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

loulumon

Been waiting all day for this thread to start! Terrible for the poor girl. Can’t believe how he carries on with all his moral high ground and holier than thou attitude if this is his real personality. He’s so offensive in every way. Doireann can get to fuck as well. She gives me a pain in the bajingo that one. God help us if they decide to give that weapon zamparelli extra air time tho 😬

Reactions: 23