Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CailínBeag

VIP Member
Re the American fella, years ago I worked in kilkenny and he was down one year to do the cat laughs and he got with a girl who I worked with and she was definitely no more than 19 at the time, this was about 10 years ago so he would have been 35 at the time...

I'm not quite sure what you're insinuating here? I've worked in hospitality and have shamefully fucked some of the losers that have been mentioned in this thread, but I was fully aware of what I was doing at the time. 19 y/o me definitely went off with lads x2 x3 my age back then and I knew what I was doing.

Reactions: 23

gmm1288

I’m wondering how it took 11 years? Like one year is a long time, never mind 11. I understand she might have been traumatized but it just seems like a very long time before coming forward
Does that also apply to industrial school victims and those in the magdalene laundries, dating back to the turn of the century? 🙄

Thegoodlife

VIP Member
I’ve literally composed and erased a comment about something that happened me about 10 times since I saw this thread but I’m scared of giving away my identity. But I had a sinister experience with an Irish musician a few years ago and still feel really uncomfortable about it today. I really don’t want to give details because I’m scared anyone reading who knows this who knows me will know that this is my account. Sorry if this to come across like I’m baiting or anything, I just wanted to say that these creeps are obviously common enough in the Irish entertainment industry.
You are so brave to even put it in writing. I hope you are being supported. We hear and believe you.

To people questioning time of coming forward go and listen to the accounts of survivors this week of the horrific abuse from that priest in Belvedere college. 45 years on and some still haven’t come forward.

Not having a go but if history can teach us anything it’s that to question the time scale is the biggest insult and reason for others to shrink back into silence.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Lulu235

I think Carl Mullan will replace Eoghan on the Breakfast show with Doireann, at least temporarily. There’s no way she can carry it herself!

Dearreader

VIP Member
The statistics for rape cases even going to trial, never mind the accuser winning, are so dire that I don’t blame anyone for speaking out about it on social media instead.

Yes!! Also social media doesn't make it any easier on women. You just have to look at some horrible comments to see the verbal abuse victims get coming forward on SM.

It's sad that it had to come to publishing your story on SM to get heard and that blame is on the disgraceful way in which our country deal with victims and the lax laws in place that basically give perpetrators a slap on the wrist.

Social media at least, Blows it up and puts pressure on the system to act in the best interest of the women and ensures that justice takes centre stage (or at least puts heavy pressure on)

Also Fuck RTE - the gall of them to cover it up with a big goodbye as if eoghan was the nation's sweetheart and yanno, not what he was- a sicko preying on (what appears to be) predominantly young girls.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Heidi77

VIP Member
Do we know for certain that his relationship with Aoife is over? Would be messy with the house etc. He came across bitter enough when everything was going well for him. I can only imagine what he’s like now. I think it’s safe to say his career in media is over regardless of the outcome of these allegations. He was a good presenter but I didn’t like the way he talked down to Doireann and you could hear his dislike of her, very unprofessional.
In fairness Doireann is very unlikeable. I think I would find it hard to hide my distain for her as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 22

brandambassador

VIP Member
I have a story myself that haunts me , when I was in my early 20s I was at a house party and I struck up a conversation with a man only a few years older then me, we had drunken conversation about our ex’s and I felt sorry for him because he was really obese and seemed genuine and still in love with his ex. Hours went by I drank way to much and passed out asleep on a bed in a room that had been crowed with people. I woke up hearing banging on a door and found myself alone in the room and this man on top of me raping me. I had been wearing skin tight leather trousers and still to this day am baffled how he dragged them down me. When I came to I asked him what he was doing and he laughed it off as if I knew. I remember him opening the door to his room mate whod been banging the door down when the door opened the room mate looked at me laying in the bed I’m sure he knew what was going on and tried to save me. I got myself together and went home. It took years for me to realise what happened and I truly don’t think I’ve ever accepted it. I’ve never told anyone and it was over ten years ago. I blame myself for being to friendly and drinking to much
The only blame here is on him. Thanks for telling us. I believe you ❤

• Heart
Gript are not far right, they are just not far left, which in Ireland seems to be enough to be deemed far right.
They report the news that state sponsored RTÉ won't report.
No no no just NO. Gript is John McGuirk and absolutely the far right.
Not excusing for one moment Lindas actions which are deeply disappointing and upsetting, but regardless of any situation and context, Gript is ALWAYS the far right opinion led piece. Always.

• Heart
  • Haha

Eilis117

I think she’s really brave to do what she has done, and just by reading what she said on Reddit I really do feel her story is true. I was physically attacked and raped by my boyfriend many years ago and I never pursued it with the police/law. I regret that so much. I was terrified I wouldn’t be believed and the fact that he was my boyfriend ... that that somehow blurred the lines and that I was at fault in some way. It wasn’t just a random attack on the street... and I know that really knocked my confidence in how I would come across if I reported it. I feel like her story is similar in that respect, in that they had some form of a relationship. It was only years later that I felt brave enough to speak out about it and was told there is a six year limit in reporting such things. This is another country though where it happened and where I live now. But maybe now that she feels strong enough to speak out about it but is limited in what she can do at this stage... Either way I hope she gets whatever resolution she/they are looking for.

• Heart
  • Sad

Purplepot

VIP Member
I wonder what will happen to the radio show? Doireann just not charismatic enough to carry on her own IMO. Rte should really get some new talent and not rehash the same old shite. Not that I tune in too often as it’s covid coverage is fucking doomsday ville

Reactions: 21

Lipgloss93

Just going back to the story posted on Reddit by alleged victim. Firstly what direction did she think the friendship was going? Meeting in bars and going for food and drinks? People have a few drinks they get giddy and stupid and loose inhibitions. That's the norm. How many of us have had fumbles and gropes and it's all part of the bumpy ride. To publicly put that stuff out there is hugely damaging. Why did she hook up again with him after the incident in Spin headquarters. No matter what she has destroyed him. Not saying he's without blame but she has to now shoulder the responsibility of what's shes done. I personally couldn't live with it.
I personally couldn’t live with having such an antiquated opinion and victim shaming.

• Heart
The story of Hansard is public knowledge. He met his co star in Once when she was 13, he was in his 30's. They only went public with their relationship when she turned legal. It's disgusting. And there have been several other allegations against him he's
just able to make any discussion of it on twitter magically disappear. Any one who speaks is threatened into silence.

• Wow

Thegoodlife

VIP Member
Second tweet. View the reply underneath from another presenter 🤔
Like this is so true.
The uproar (rightly so) of Weinstein, Epstein, Trump, Belfast trial, but now the deafening silence from all his “friends” for this guy???

Why????
Because he’s a nice guy???
Afraid of upsetting the RTÉ hand that feeds you???
Why in this case is the victim/survivor being doubted and questioned??
The hesitation and delay is such a cruel blow to survivors

ahtisyourself

VIP Member
There is enough noise being made now on Twitter for him to come out and outright deny if it was untrue. It’s gone beyond a few rumblings and whispers, my WhatsApp groups are full of it today. He is completely and utterly finished if it is true. Over the years he was almost Ireland’s spokesperson for morality and I hate the term but he was the definition of a virtue signaller. As someone in twitter called him, he was chief snowflake. Is it a case now if hiding in plain sight? Position yourself as the perfect person, almost an authority on morality and all that is good, support the easy wins such as Trump = bad, become ambassador for Pieta House etc etc all as a way of trying to cover up and compensate for who you really are?

PepsiCherry

VIP Member
I'm not quite sure what you're insinuating here? I've worked in hospitality and have shamefully fucked some of the losers that have been mentioned in this thread, but I was fully aware of what I was doing at the time. 19 y/o me definitely went off with lads x2 x3 my age back then and I knew what I was doing.
Cause a 35 year old lad shouldn't be riding a teenager ? Yes it's legal but men like this are creeps and predators. Nothing else. Not the teens fault. I also think I've slept with someone mentioned.

Honestly yeah I am. I totally agree that the onus still seems to be on women not to "provoke or look for it" but there's a lot of decent men out there that wouldn't dream of taking advantage or forcing themselves on anyone. I've never used tinder or sites like that so I can't comment on what goes on in dm's. For me sexual assault is more than being cat called or getting inappropriate comments online, I can understand how it would be a trigger for a sexual assault victim though. If inappropriate comments are considered SA then yeah we've all experienced that. Do I put it in the same bracket as rape? Personally no. But I've witnessed some women doing the exact same to men on nights out. Dirty comments, practically throwing themselves at guys, groping etc. I think if someone is just rotten & has no respect then gender doesn't matter. Its just a hell of a lot higher with men. Its plain wrong no matter who it is though.
It derails the conversation when we say things like not all men, or it happens to men too. We know that. However statistically women are at a much much higher risk and it's much harder for us to make things change, look at our government, our judges, our lawmakers. They're men. Men wrote the laws and men enforce them or more often than not they don't, and so men as a group benefit the most from this broken system. The current system was written for men by men so it's important not to queiten the voices of the women battling for a fairer system by including men in the problem we face. Because it just isn't the same fight. Women have a massive disadvantage. Physically, statistically and legally.

While I agree there are levels of sexual violence each one plays a part in creating rape culture as a whole. I have been catcalled, had my boobs commented on in work from as young as 15 right up until my 30's, been groped more times than I can count and I've been raped. Obviously some of my experiences as worse than others but every one of those incidences contributes to a wider problem. If we want our kids to live in a safer world we need to have zero tolerance.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

PepsiCherry

VIP Member
I’ve literally composed and erased a comment about something that happened me about 10 times since I saw this thread but I’m scared of giving away my identity. But I had a sinister experience with an Irish musician a few years ago and still feel really uncomfortable about it today. I really don’t want to give details because I’m scared anyone reading who knows this who knows me will know that this is my account. Sorry if this to come across like I’m baiting or anything, I just wanted to say that these creeps are obviously common enough in the Irish entertainment industry.
They so are. I hope someday you can tell your story.

• Heart

Lunamoon13

Does that also apply to industrial school victims and those in the magdalene laundries, dating back to the turn of the century? 🙄
Exactly. Where is this 'rule' that sets out how long it should take a person to come to terms with sexual assault and report it? She was a child. The brain is not fully formed until your mid 20s.

And she did tell a garda years ago and was told not to bother pursuing it. She was effectively silenced back then. Fair play to her now being strong enough to realise she can speak out