English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was a translated interview on the radio earlier from someone on the plane. He said that if he had known he would be shipped to Rowanda he wouldn’t have come to the UK, he only want to come to the UK. Shows even just the threat of the idea might be enough. If we can get one plane to go which shows it will be an option it may help stop some crossing.

Reactions: 3

Apparently they’ve continued to detain people and are planning a flight before the 19th (the date of the hearing). Would mean that the flight would be this or next week

I do wonder if this means that lawyers can’t seek injunctions until the moment people are on the plane again, given that there’s no date, and that’s assuming that their clients have a way to inform them of what’s happening? Really concerning stuff here tbh, and leaves the people in detention in a lot more uncertainty

• Sad
Reactions: 1
21057886-9F4C-4F44-9D05-2F12BF4772D4.jpeg

Not entirely sure I agree with this decision as it leaves vulnerable people in no better place but it does mean that the leadership candidates have to just run on the interim orders granted by the ECHR before rather than possibly a whole new ruling which takes the Convention/ECHR into consideration

• Sad
Not exactly the same thing but a interesting interview from the UK‘s most famous “refugee”.

Parents and siblings are alive an well in Somalia / Somaliland. And Mohamed ain’t even his real name. Rich and famous now so effectively untouchable, but blatantly lied to obtain his British citizenship.

How many others?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Not exactly the same thing but a interesting interview from the UK‘s most famous “refugee”.

Parents and siblings are alive an well in Somalia / Somaliland. And Mohamed ain’t even his real name. Rich and famous now so effectively untouchable, but blatantly lied to obtain his British citizenship.
That's not exactly what happened is it, he was traffic over here at 8 years old. When he was still a minor he told a teacher of the real circumstances of his home life and therefore was put into foster care as he should have been as a child. When he applied for citizenship he was 14 and he even told them Mo Farah was not his real name.

It is not like he has come here and rape or stolen from people. He has added to our country in a positive way so why should he be stripped. He did not come over here knowingly that what was happening was wrong, he was 8!

It is very different to grown men coming here, either pretending to be children to get the same treatment or to come and commit fraud and crime. Those are the ones we need to focus on no Mo Farah.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Rwanda flights paused for the leadership race because they’d cause too much controversy. Those in detention likely to be released

Very few of those released have been tagged as it seems to be down to judge discretion

Yesterday was a record breaking day. Both candidates for the next PM support the Rwanda scheme, but more legal challenges are coming.

---

Channel migrants: Almost 1,300 migrants cross Channel in new record

Almost 1,300 migrants crossed the English Channel in small boats on Monday, setting a new record for crossings in a single day.
The Ministry of Defence said 1,295 migrants made the crossing in 27 boats, topping the previous high of 1,185 last November.
It is the highest daily total since current records began in 2018.
So far this month 6,168 people have made the crossing in small boats, compared to 3,683 in July.
More than 22,560 people have journeyed across the English Channel so far this year, At the equivalent point in 2021, the cumulative total was just under 12,500.

• Wow
Yesterday was a record breaking day. Both candidates for the next PM support the Rwanda scheme, but more legal challenges are coming.

---

Channel migrants: Almost 1,300 migrants cross Channel in new record

Almost 1,300 migrants crossed the English Channel in small boats on Monday, setting a new record for crossings in a single day.
The Ministry of Defence said 1,295 migrants made the crossing in 27 boats, topping the previous high of 1,185 last November.
It is the highest daily total since current records began in 2018.
So far this month 6,168 people have made the crossing in small boats, compared to 3,683 in July.
More than 22,560 people have journeyed across the English Channel so far this year, At the equivalent point in 2021, the cumulative total was just under 12,500.

Apparently albanians complete with prison tatts and haircuts. The same Albanians in criminal gangs running County lines drug rings all over Britain. The few that are returned home break back in. Still, nothing is done to stop it. NOTHING.

THey should be put on a boat and sent straigh back to france with out even stepping foot in the UK

Oh my god, what is happening? They didn't stand a chance :cry: it's not the migrants fault, people smugglers are taking advantage of them.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
It sounds like at least the authorities actually responded this time instead of saying “call France lol”

Rishi's speech yesterday was the last throw of the dice in dealing with this ongoing issue. His Government faces unprecedented defeat at the next election, unless he does start to take constructive action on this long running problem.

For far too long all we have been fed is endless waffle about what they are going to do, with no action being taken.

What did Priti Patel do in the period she was Home Secretary? Absolutely nothing.

The majority in this country are sick to the back teeth of this issue not being addressed.

Whilst many British people (of all ethnic backgrounds) struggle to make ends meet, it isn't right, nor fair that arriving in the UK illegally grants you better perks and privileges than those just managing to survive.

The whole system is rotten to the core and the balance needs urgent redressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
It's an intractable problem... but oh god, those poor people last night. Choppers been up over us all night, and the local hospital been asked to clear out A&E for multiple casualties... how on earth any survived the cold I don't know :cry:

• Sad
Whilst many British people (of all ethnic backgrounds) struggle to make ends meet, it isn't right, nor fair that arriving in the UK illegally grants you better perks and privileges than those just managing to survive.
Wonder where you have the idea that they have perks and privileges?

These are people who have to depend on the same broken services and many of them don’t know how to access them because they don’t understand the systems, speak the language, or have the same attitudes to things like mental health

The hotels are absolutely horrible and there are sometimes several people living in a tiny room. It seems that you get very lucky if your hotel provides you with food you can eat/enjoy. You can also be told you have to leave with very short notice and that applies even if you have kids and they’ve finally settled down at school somehow

The money they get individually really isn’t that much so many depend on charities for things like winter clothes and shoes

They’re really not living any better than the average person in Britain, especially when you factor in things like mental health. If they’re finally granted asylum they’re made homeless in a fairly short period of time and stop having income too

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Wonder where you have the idea that they have perks and privileges?

These are people who have to depend on the same broken services and many of them don’t know how to access them because they don’t understand the systems, speak the language, or have the same attitudes to things like mental health

The hotels are absolutely horrible and there are sometimes several people living in a tiny room. It seems that you get very lucky if your hotel provides you with food you can eat/enjoy. You can also be told you have to leave with very short notice and that applies even if you have kids and they’ve finally settled down at school somehow

The money they get individually really isn’t that much so many depend on charities for things like winter clothes and shoes

They’re really not living any better than the average person in Britain, especially when you factor in things like mental health. If they’re finally granted asylum they’re made homeless in a fairly short period of time and stop having income too
I'm sure many British born homeless would loved to be housed in a four star hotel, rather than live on the streets, or shunted into a grotty hostel.

How are four and five star hotels 'horrible' ?

Are those entering the county illegally and being housed (at our expense) having to deal with paying with electric, gas, petrol, food, rent and other living expenses on a low wage?

No they are not.

I'm sure many British born homeless would loved to be housed in a four star hotel, rather than live on the streets, or shunted into a grotty hostel.

How are four and five star hotels 'horrible' ?

Are those entering the county illegally and being housed (at our expense) having to deal with paying with electric, gas, petrol, food, rent and other living expenses on a low wage?

No they are not.
Four and five star hotels really don’t mean what you think they mean. There’s no reason for these hotels to treat these people like actual clients so the luxury is lost on them. I think many would actually prefer having to a choice of a place to live and getting the right to work (from a limited list of jobs) without having been here a year.

I doubt even our homeless would appreciate the conditions asylum seekers live in

Again, to claim asylum you are not entering the country illegal if it is for the purposes of claiming asylum

Four and five star hotels really don’t mean what you think they mean. There’s no reason for these hotels to treat these people like actual clients so the luxury is lost on them. I think many would actually prefer having to a choice of a place to live and getting the right to work (from a limited list of jobs) without having been here a year.

I doubt even our homeless would appreciate the conditions asylum seekers live in

Again, to claim asylum you are not entering the country illegal if it is for the purposes of claiming asylum
I really don't agree.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am to mine.

Living rent free, without having to fork out for food and energy costs is a massive perk in my opinion.

Not everyone who arrives in the UK is a genuine asylum seeker or refugee. Since when has Albania been an unsafe, war torn country?

We really need to start separating the genuine from the non genuine.

Those who aren't genuine being swiftly deported, allowing more resources to be dedicated in dealing with those in genuine need.

Reactions: 10
To be fair the hotel accommodation given to migrants sounds like prison. They have to sign in and out, must be in by a certain time. Rooms are cramped with families. Food is poor and new to them. Nowhere for children to play. Fights. Prostitution.
Many people feel they shouldn't complain as no-one asked them to come here and to be fair people who live here are struggling and desperate too.
Mess.

• Sad
allowing more resources to be dedicated in dealing with those in genuine need
If the government wanted to fix the systems and allocate more resources to those in need they would have done it a long time ago. Realistically, the government likely has resources to give to homeless people too, it's just not beneficial to them or their friends

Refugees aren't the cause of the problems nor is fixing the situation going to be the solution. The government doesn't care about anyone but their friends and refugees or migrants or whatever is going to come next are a great way to shift blame

• Heart
I really don't agree.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am to mine.

Living rent free, without having to fork out for food and energy costs is a massive perk in my opinion.

Not everyone who arrives in the UK is a genuine asylum seeker or refugee. Since when has Albania been an unsafe, war torn country?

We really need to start separating the genuine from the non genuine.

Those who aren't genuine being swiftly deported, allowing more resources to be dedicated in dealing with those in genuine need.
"We really need to start separating the genuine from the non genuine."

We absolutely do. That means having a functioning system of assessing asylum claims. For some reason the Tories are more interested in putting money into schemes to frighten asylum seekers into not coming in the first place (Manston, deportation to Rwanda etc) than they are in actually dealing with their claims and instituting legal routes by which asylum seekers could make a claim before entering the UK. I don't know if that's anything to do with the fact that the vast majority of asylum claims are successful or because NOT dealing with the issue actually gives them a platform to appeal to their voters (despite their abject failure to achieve anything in 12 years).

I'd have more respect (I could hardly have less) if the people that drone on about the migrant crisis would simply say that that they don't care about the rights and wrongs of the situation, they just don't want immigrants coming to the UK.

• Heart
Reactions: 6