English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is there no way to find out which route these people traffickers are using at the first leg of their journey, to make arrests? If they are mostly leaving through northern Africa, surely we can pay countries there to monitor the borders and punish the people traffickers.

It's incredible to me that they can travel thousands of miles all the way to the channel and there be no security checks of any kind before they even reach northern Europe. If European governments can stop these traffickers at the source, then this will surely prevent these awful deaths.

Reactions: 10
Gaddafi was a horrible horrible human but his border in Libya was an absolute no go zone for migration. I'm sure I read somewhere that Europe turned a blind eye to his antics because they knew that essentially he was keeping a huge immigration wave a bay from pouring into Europe.

Reactions: 6
Gaining employment is definitely harder in France than in the UK.
Employment of immigrants with no work permits is lower in France due to stricter penalties on employers.
The severe penalties put on employers found hiring illegal immigrants in France include: seizure of goods produced, fines of up to €100,000 per illegal worker, up to 5 years in prison for repeat offenders, bans on professional activity and exclusion from public contracts.

In the UK it's a fine of up to £20,000 per illegal worker and a possible jail sentence which is rare.

I heard a little of LBC this morning with nick Ferrari and and they spoke to a migrant who had arrived, I think, in England. He was speaking to the reporter and said he had friends who lost their lives the other day. He also said there are more people willing to make the journey, even after knowing what happened to those who died. That is how desperate these people are. It's mad.
You make a very good point.

I don't think a lot of people want to admit this... but if you living in a war-torn country, a place where children going hungry is the norm, even countries where you could be killed for disagreeing with the governments policy, wouldn't you do anything to protect to your children and try and provide a better life for them? I'm not saying what they are doing is right (and I'm more annoyed at rogue employers and human traffickers who enable these deaths), but could any of us say we wouldn't do anything to keep our children healthy, happy and safe?

I'd challenge anyone to watch this shocking Save the Children advert and say you wouldn't do anything to escape this.

Reactions: 7
Even if they are economic migrants, that's not necessarily bad. What would work better is if they were housed - maybe in some form of camp - and then the resources provided so that they can make their submission to the UK while they are relatively safe, and then there would be no benefit to the people smugglers. But that's never going to happen is it...
Disagree.

Why should an illegal economic migrant be allowed to freely walk into the UK, whilst many other legal migrants have to jump through hoops to come here. Many of whom are refused.

Why was it right that during the pandemic anyone legally traveling into the country had to quarantine. Yet many who rocked up on our shores and weren't detected by the authorities, were free to walk around without such measures. It made a bloody mockery of the whole quarantine process.

I'll never be sold on illegal migration. Either apply to live here via the official channels, or not at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I'll be very surprised if this flight does take off on Tuesday. Doesn't it often happen where people are literally taken off a plane as it's ready to depart in order to stop a deportation?

Reactions: 1
I'll be very surprised if this flight does take off on Tuesday. Doesn't it often happen where people are literally taken off a plane as it's ready to depart in order to stop a deportation?
I also think it won't happen, as the case is being heard at the Court of Appeal tomorrow.

There's going to be another High Court review of the whole policy before late July, so it would seem unlikely that any flights would take off for Rwanda before that full review.

Reactions: 2
I do wonder how they can make a ruling on something so important in a day, but nonsense like Wagatha Christi takes at least a month to think about. I guess when the clock is ticking it's different.

Reactions: 4
Well it seems the govt won today. Meanwhile, they are still coming across the Channel, and despite the sunshine we have high winds/rough seas around here.

Reactions: 1
But how many will actually be on the plane? It's gone down from 100, to 38 to now at most 11.

A later hearing could still easily force them to fly them all back.

I dunno, a 4* hotel in Rwanda looks a lot more appealing than the shithole that is Folkestone Barracks... but that said, this is a horrible policy.

It's now down to 7 and over 12 hours until the flight takes off.

It could be down to 2 by 9:30pm for a flight that's expected to cost 350k.

They’ll probably take off even if there’s just 1 person onboard. Then they can spin it as a success.

Why has it gone down so much?
Because of leftist Human Rights lawyers (chasing the fast buck of public money), do-gooders (whom only see the 'hard done' by migrant - ignoring the fact they may be a criminal, or undesirable character) and that idiot Jeremy Corbyn* thinking the rights of illegal migrants entering the UK via illegal methods, trump the rights of everyone else.

* Considering he will be a guest speaker at the Marxism 2022 event in East London, in July - pretty much sums up why he wasn't fit to run this country, or indeed remain leader of the Labour party.

Despite Starmer's many faults, he is more fit to lead than Corbyn ever was.

Reactions: 11
Despite Starmer's many faults, he is more fit to lead than Corbyn ever was.
I'm not sure that's much of an endorsement!

It sounds like that's one individual appeal lost, so there'll be at least one person on the flight. Who could still be flown back at a later date on another decision.

Although government not confirming that the flight will definitely happen.

Some of the reporting on this is ehhhh

The BBC saying that appeals by individuals are a “last ditch attempt” when they’re simply exercising their legal rights for the first (and likely only) time in seeking an individual appeal - as I understand the ability for individuals to seek appeals is the one of the reason the Courts haven’t intervened

BBC underlining that part of the policy for this is to stop smuggling. Fair enough, but why not mention that the charities working with these refugees have been requesting a way for them to seek asylum in the UK from other safe countries without having to specifically cross the channel to do that?

Assuming those flights go ahead and the courts judge the government’s policy to be unlawful (or whatever the argument is for judicial review) and possibly request for the government to return those people to the UK, we will see another struggle between the Conservatives and the courts and it won’t be pretty or reflect very well on the Conservatives

When the entire Church of England condemns a move - whether you believe in it or not - then that should be a call out to the Govt of the day. We are still nominally a Christian, and most particularly a CoE country.

Reactions: 4