English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in Kent and sometimes I feel like I’m in a foreign country… honestly, take a walk around Dover and you would think your are abroad. I sat at a doctors surgery and there were people obviously wanting an appointment but were unable to speak English to even get their details. A Deliveroo driver couldn’t read the note on delivery instructions because he didn’t know English and he didn’t understand what I was saying over the telecom, so decided to say I wasn’t in and go to his next delivery…by the time I had gotten down the stairs to get the delivery from him, he had gone.

It’s bonkers. I’m not the slightest bit racist and understand people genuinely fleeing for their lives but they pass through many safe countries. They just come here because they think they will get money and a house and our criminal justice system is tit so they can get away with committing crime.
People bang on about the UK being a multicultural society but you can’t have a multicultural society if certain sections don’t bother to integrate, learn the language, etc.
And regardless of what people say that is a massive issue.
I find a lot of people who are for people claiming asylum here without checks, coming across on dinghies etc are people who will never have to deal with the issues that these people bring. Where I used to live there was a massive issue with people who didn’t integrate and it caused so many problems. Walking down the street I was followed by men, I was told by them I should cover up, I was told I didn’t belong here etc.Then you’d get to the drs surgery and it was so overcrowded, lots of people couldn’t speak English and it would take ages to get checked in. I once had to queue for nearly 2 hours just to speak to a receptionist to check in! It’s madness.
The system doesn’t work, more people are going to get hurt, tensions are going to rise. That isn’t racism, that’s just looking at what’s happening.

Suella tripped up when questioned how an African orphan could get to live with a sibling in the UK.
I found that comment a bit disingenuous and attempting to pray on the peoples sympathies - there are fewer orphan children claiming asylum or crossing illegally than there are able bodied men.

Reactions: 14
People bang on about the UK being a multicultural society but you can’t have a multicultural society if certain sections don’t bother to integrate, learn the language, etc.
And regardless of what people say that is a massive issue.
I find a lot of people who are for people claiming asylum here without checks, coming across on dinghies etc are people who will never have to deal with the issues that these people bring. Where I used to live there was a massive issue with people who didn’t integrate and it caused so many problems. Walking down the street I was followed by men, I was told by them I should cover up, I was told I didn’t belong here etc.Then you’d get to the drs surgery and it was so overcrowded, lots of people couldn’t speak English and it would take ages to get checked in. I once had to queue for nearly 2 hours just to speak to a receptionist to check in! It’s madness.
The system doesn’t work, more people are going to get hurt, tensions are going to rise. That isn’t racism, that’s just looking at what’s happening.

I found that comment a bit disingenuous and attempting to pray on the peoples sympathies - there are fewer orphan children claiming asylum or crossing illegally than there are able bodied men.
Agree with the bit in bold (and all of it). Your eyes don’t lie; people can see what’s going on. Multi-culturalism is practically non-existent. There are multiple cultures but that doesn’t mean they mix. Most stay segregated.
Many choose not to learn the language. A colleague of mine is Bengali by birth; her family then claimed asylum in Italy. As soon as they were able to, they naturalised as Italian citizens and one of the first things they done after that was move to the UK.
Her nationality is Italian, her parents don’t speak Italian despite being Italian citizens. Her mum doesn’t speak English, she requires an interpreter every time she attends a hospital appointment and healthcare was the main reason behind their move to the UK.
This is my colleagues own words not my spin on it. My colleague says she is having an identity crisis; she doesn’t fit in with the Bengali community because she is, in their view too westernised, she doesn’t feel Italian because the whole time they lived in Italy, they didn’t absorb into that culture, and she doesn’t feel she fits in here in the UK either.
She has a good job, in the civil service, with an above UK average salary, and has never left London as she has no desire or interest to see any other part of the UK.

I’m sure this isn’t an isolated case. I feel sorry for her, but she clearly has no intention of integrating and her family’s only real reason for coming here was healthcare.
She said as soon as they became naturalised Italians, they began to go back to Bangladesh to visit family.
Is that the actions of people who were fleeing for their own safety?

Reactions: 16
Precisely. Yes the child would struggle to apply without entering the UK first, but the sibling could apply from the UK under the family reunification guidance. It was a very disingenuous.

Reactions: 3
Struggling to reason this issue. I haven't been able to grasp why so many want to come to the UK, but a lot of good points raised, so is it health care and the welfare system??? Both are abysmal.
I know a lot of European migrants, they're settled, speak English very well, work extremely hard and have certainly integrated without it infringing on their own culture. Some of their parents are here now, that's another story but its probably down to age. Europeans have said they come here to work because the wages are better and they can have a better standard of living, they all work minimum wage jobs, which tells you something.

Reactions: 2
At the end of the day it is unsustainable to continue letting in at least 40,000 a year illegally.

If people know they can get away with it, the numbers will just continue to increase year on year.

Various reports put the estimated number of people illegally in the UK at between over a million, up to 2.5 million. No one knows knows for sure, due to successive Government incompetence on keeping track of the numbers.

Those that think the status quo should just be allowed to continue, are usually the ones who are most vocal about the NHS and public services crumbling. However, they usually refuse to accept that part of the problem is caused by the sheer numbers the system wasn't designed to cope for.

You cannot magically whip up more Doctors and Nurses, or continue to poach them from other health services from around the world, just to cater for our population mismanagement.

Importing more people on minimum wage and dependant on benefits isn't going to cover the costs involved with providing more Doctors, Nurses, public services and housing.

Reactions: 10
But illegals can't access health care can they?
I know people here illegally though, they do cash in hand jobs and live with family. Of course I'm told they don't work. So if I know, lots of people must know this is happening. It's starting to upset me a little to be honest and I think that upset is from a health care perspective. Where I am our health service has completely collapsed. Some schools are full of children with very little English, locals no longer use those schools preferring to send their children to smaller rural schools. We do have a problem, it's not confined to places with ports and its been an issue for 20 years.

But to say anything, address any of this is seen as racist.

Reactions: 7
But illegals can't access health care can they?
Oh yes they can.

A Doctor's appointment and access to primary care does not require proof of entitlement.

Both of which cost money to provide and someone else has to pay for.

It does help with the BMA thinking the NHS should be a global health service, providing treatment to all from around the world free of charge, regardless of entitlement to access. Once again assuming the good old UK taxpayer will just foot the ever growing bill for this.

As others have said in previous posts.

If we were to go elsewhere in the World, we would be expected to pay for health services, or have travel insurance in place to pay for such instances.

Reactions: 10
I wonder if it's the word "illegal" that gets some people so worked up?

In the most recently reported 12 month period there were 521,000 visas issued to allow people to enter the UK to work and to reunite with relatives. Why is it that fewer than 8% of that number applying to be allowed to stay in the country is such a problem? Are those 521,000 people not 'economic migrants'? Can it really be that (including students) 953,000 people can be allowed into the UK but it is the 40,000 people that have applied for asylum that have 'broken' the NHS (and not the government), caused the housing crisis (and not the government), fractured communities etc?

So why is it that some people seem so opposed to the prospect of offering potential asylum seekers a sensible, 'legal' way to make their application, and to get a speedy and fair decision so that if successful they can work and contribute to the UK?

Or is it that they don't accept the whole concept of 'asylum' or at least that it should be somebody else's responsibility to deal with?

Reactions: 4
I don't even think it is the illegal status. For me it's fast becoming the realisation we're unable to cope with everyone already here, including British nationals.

Reactions: 11
I would love to know what these people are told about life in the uk that makes it sound worth all the trouble to get here. Yes we have the nhs and the benefit system is likely a huge draw but what else is selling it to them.

I don't even think it is the illegal status. For me it's fast becoming the realisation we're unable to cope with everyone already here, including British nationals.
When you say "unable" .... Total wealth of Britain's billionaires:
2012: £212 billion
2022: £653 billion

Reactions: 5

I saw this yesterday and I found it interesting that the very society who cried about the situation in Iran would leave those very people to rot because our government has not given them a safe legal route

Even the safe and legal route seems to have been for show:

That’s not to mention that there’s no such thing as someone “illegal” when they are arriving to claim asylum. I’m pretty sure our own domestic laws recognise that

I saw this yesterday and I found it interesting that the very society who cried about the situation in Iran would leave those very people to rot because our government has not given them a safe legal route

Even the safe and legal route seems to have been for show:

That’s not to mention that there’s no such thing as someone “illegal” when they are arriving to claim asylum. I’m pretty sure our own domestic laws recognise that
I've always thought that this is a bit of a semantic argument. I can see that entering the country by small boat or in the back of a lorry etc. can be described as 'illegal'. Clearly what's not illegal is to claim asylum once you're here. The thing that makes it all so ridiculous is that UK law is that you can only claim asylum from within the UK so as even Braverman confirmed you have to get here 'illegally' to make a 'legal' asylum application.

And before someone mentions 'resettlement schemes', the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme which was intended to bring 5,000 Afghan refugees to the UK in the first year has, since January managed ... 4.

Reactions: 2
And before someone mentions 'resettlement schemes', the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme which was intended to bring 5,000 Afghan refugees to the UK in the first year has, since January managed ... 4.
Obviously that’s because of all the illegals taking their spaces duh 🙄🙄

Interestingly I have heard of a few Ukrainians making their way across the channel in a dinghy too and having to claim asylum. Wonder what people make of that?

But Moth I'm not a billionaire and I don't know anyone who is.
Plus many on the left have spent (in their minds) the wealth they would get from those wealthy individuals many times over.

Also not grasping the fact is that if you penalise the well off too much, they will just up sticks and live elsewhere. The tax burden, due to the loss of their tax contributions, is either passed onto everyone else further down the chain, or services cut as a result.

I'm all for people paying their fair share of what they rightfully should owe in tax, but not penalising those with money for the sake of it.

All we would be left with is a few virtual signalling millionaires like Gary Lineker, who talk a good game to some but - when it comes to the crunch - don't like putting their hands in their pockets to cough up more.

Reactions: 5
I find it so refreshing we can have an adult chat about this topic without any labelling being thrown around - thanks to you all for keeping this thread open minded and honest irrespective of opinion :)

Reactions: 12
We need to establish the root of the problem and that isn't expecting the rich to fund things after all it is not all about money in the UK, it is also about resources and space. We do not have the housing, health care, jobs for all these extra people. IMO we need to look at why these people are leaving their home countries. Those fleeing war I have no issue with, but those who have a perfectly safe country to live it but would rather get in a rubber dingy for £1000s in the freezing cold, why?

I am an advocate for charity begins at home, once every UK citizen is houses, fed and looked after then we can help those who are not in desperate need.

Reactions: 11
I would love to know what these people are told about life in the uk that makes it sound worth all the trouble to get here. Yes we have the nhs and the benefit system is likely a huge draw but what else is selling it to them.
I can’t find it now, but I read an interview that someone did with migrants in Calais and quite a few said we had free healthcare and we offer houses to people. One person said he was going to have a white picket fence which makes me wonder what are they being told?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
My other issue with these people coming across is that it’s mainly men and men who have said they are under 18 so they get taken in by the social care system and placed in foster homes and schools. A huge safeguarding risk to children.

Reactions: 13