English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Something that is interesting that the BBC reported is that Rwanda will give these people the choice to leave for another country if they don’t want to stay in Rwanda, not sure whether deporting them back to their home country would be considered but that’s potentially problematic under international law as I’d understand, but that they won’t facilitate this. This seems to open the door for people smugglers to then move to Rwanda and for those people to become “repeat customers” as they try to get to another country again. If the Government really intends to just ship everyone off, I have some doubts that Rwanda is going to have the resources to keep all those people under watch and prevent that from happening

BBC mentioned something from some official which drew this very comparison with some Israeli (? Working from memory here) policy a while ago too. I can’t find what was actually said or the comparison unfortunately 😭

~

Also, the concern by the ECtHR about Rwanda not being a signatory to the ECHR and therefore not being able to be held accountable for any human rights abuses is probably going to be pretty significant for the judicial review if that’s one of the arguments being put forward by those against the policy. They won’t just be drawing from what the UN Commissioner’s statements or what has been said about Rwanda by the members of the Government

• Sad
Reactions: 1
A big charity behind the appeals has claimed there's only one person on the plane.

Not taking off is the result so many of us thought, least surprising news ever if that transpires.

Apparently the runway lights were on earlier, but they've been switched off now.

They need to figure out how to stop these people smugglers before they even reach Europe, but how I don't know. We only ever hear about the channel crossings and France, but which route are they taking to get to France? Surely that has to be looked into.

Reactions: 7
There's literally thousands of miles where people are traveling to Europe from Spain to Turkey and up to Belarus where Lukashenko is manufacturing a crisis. I don't know how you'd even begin to tackle that.

Reactions: 3
I have no issue with people who want to migrate here the right and legal way but we have taken in thousands and thousands of migrants for years and it's beginning to affect our country. We can't keep helping other countries every time they're in need and offering to help their citizens and move them over here, we are full up as it is and our own people are now struggling. The problem is, for saying that you get called heartless and racist. These people who are crossing the channel are usually young men and are almost always economic migrants. They know they'll get a package when they arrive and Domino's pizzas and god knows what else, a cheap phone with credit on it (read the news articles on it) and a small amount of money and they'll get free NHS, somewhere decent to stay because of their human rights and some sort of benefits or financial pocket money (even if it's a small amount). Paid for by the taxpayer. It makes me really angry. The NHS is now struggling, we are building more and more housing and, yes I'll be pathetic and say that our lovely British countryside is being used to build more and more houses with the growing population. Many of these men who come over are not being checked for any criminal records and could be absolutely anybody. I've read stories where there were some quite violent criminals attempted to be deported and human refugee rights protesters stopped the plane from leaving so they didn't end up being deported. Also, a lot of their cultures don't align with ours, like their religion and their views isn't the same as western views and there has been a lot of clashing over the years because of this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing a multi-cultural country but I feel people should migrate here the right way and we should be stricter like the likes of the US and Australia.

I have respect for people who work hard to migrate the right ways and pay in this country. In my eyes those types of migrants are more than welcome here. It's also strange how they always cross multiple countries to get to our land of milk and honey. Anyone who wants on about poor them and attempts to stop immigration doing their job should be forced to take some migrants in and pay for them theirselves - via their own money - not any government earned money like benefits.

Reactions: 21
I have no issue with people who want to migrate here the right and legal way but we have taken in thousands and thousands of migrants for years and it's beginning to affect our country. We can't keep helping other countries every time they're in need and offering to help their citizens and move them over here, we are full up as it is and our own people are now struggling. The problem is, for saying that you get called heartless and racist. These people who are crossing the channel are usually young men and are almost always economic migrants. They know they'll get a package when they arrive and Domino's pizzas and god knows what else, a cheap phone with credit on it (read the news articles on it) and a small amount of money and they'll get free NHS, somewhere decent to stay because of their human rights and some sort of benefits or financial pocket money (even if it's a small amount). Paid for by the taxpayer. It makes me really angry. The NHS is now struggling, we are building more and more housing and, yes I'll be pathetic and say that our lovely British countryside is being used to build more and more houses with the growing population. Many of these men who come over are not being checked for any criminal records and could be absolutely anybody. I've read stories where there were some quite violent criminals attempted to be deported and human refugee rights protesters stopped the plane from leaving so they didn't end up being deported. Also, a lot of their cultures don't align with ours, like their religion and their views isn't the same as western views and there has been a lot of clashing over the years because of this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing a multi-cultural country but I feel people should migrate here the right way and we should be stricter like the likes of the US and Australia.

I have respect for people who work hard to migrate the right ways and pay in this country. In my eyes those types of migrants are more than welcome here. It's also strange how they always cross multiple countries to get to our land of milk and honey. Anyone who wants on about poor them and attempts to stop immigration doing their job should be forced to take some migrants in and pay for them theirselves - via their own money - not any government earned money like benefits.

What is government earned money? Surely the money the government has is generated through taxpayers I.e the ones who welcome refugees. Like, I don't mind people coming here to seek refuge regardless of how they get here, and I pay my taxes so surely a portion of that is already going towards that?

Also if our country is so on its knees why do you think people risk their lives in rubber dinghies to get here?

I'm guessing it's also the tax payer that's funding the legal aid for all these appeals to go ahead

Reactions: 10
I'm guessing it's also the tax payer that's funding the legal aid for all these appeals to go ahead
And who paid the money for the planes in the first place. This resettlement scheme is costing more than what it would to process them here.

Reactions: 5
ok so a lot of them are young men - that is generally because they are the ones with the muscle to get across countries without being trafficked (of course that does not apply to younger boys...)

Elderly women tend to stay home, because it's home, no matter what a shithole it is.

I think you must be absolutely desperate to get in a small inflatable dinghy and cross one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, and desperate people do desperate things.

Reactions: 2
Meanwhile uk citizens are being denied legal aid. It's now primarily used for illegal immigrants :unsure:

So are we still going to pay Rwanda for taking 0 illegals that we can't remove? Are we still going to take their people that we were going to swap with?
Only way this will all work is to dispose of the EHR. This is just like the nightingale hospitals. Must be seen to be doing something, but no substance.
This situation will never change as it doesn't affect those with money who want open borders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
We really need to tackle the problem before they arrive on our shores, France are glad to see them gone so are of no support.

We need to make it less appealing when they arrive, but it’s a balance. If you don’t house them or give them money they may commit crime to fund themselves.

What I have never understood is some are able to come up with £1000s to pay a smuggler, in their home country this is worth a lot more yet they claim to be escaping poverty etc. use that money to set up somewhere new, not be smuggled into the UK risking your life.

Reactions: 9
ok so a lot of them are young men - that is generally because they are the ones with the muscle to get across countries without being trafficked (of course that does not apply to younger boys...)

Elderly women tend to stay home, because it's home, no matter what a shithole it is.

I think you must be absolutely desperate to get in a small inflatable dinghy and cross one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, and desperate people do desperate things.
Also that women are an irrelevance in many cultures and the men put themselves first, and don't give a tit about women. And the men bring that culture with them when they arrive here, illegally or legally.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
This is a fairly good page explaining why there are more men too:

Also I’m not one for African politics but this could apparently be part of the reason Rwanda has agreed with the whole plan:

I saw a comment online I agree with, which said it's a strange situation when you have people entering the country illegally with no money and the next thing they're doing is suing the Government. Unreal.

• Angry
Reactions: 9
I saw a comment online I agree with, which said it's a strange situation when you have people entering the country illegally with no money and the next thing they're doing is suing the Government. Unreal.
Pro bono work for lawyers does exist. I’m not sure whether any of the barristers working on these cases were working pro bono, though I saw one mention that he was not being paid

Legal aid also, though from what I understand legal aid does unfortunately suck in the UK but it’s important for the average person to access the legal system and fight for their rights

And anyway, who are we to draw lines between who should get human rights or how many human rights they should have? One of the main reasons the ECHR was established is to prevent the atrocities which happened during WW2.

Resources this and resources that but the government would rather use those resources to fuel their own little capitalist agendas anyway. Remember when the public had to fight the government over school meals? And then those contracts got sold to their little friends? I would honestly be shocked if the whole Rwanda stuff isn’t benefitting Patel’s friend somewhere

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd find some sources for the fact that this has all likely been pro-bono for the majority of these people
It seems more than likely that the majority of those working on this were working pro bono:

Last edited:
When did this actually happen.

The only time I have seen it is where asylum seekers have been illegally detained and then were suing. Which seems fair as asylum seekers aren't illegal and the government should be held to a code of conduct regarding how they treat asylum seekers.

Reactions: 2