Emma Johnson (Emma's Rectangle)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ugh I completely agree! Definitely notice a difference between Emma's generation of influencers who've done it since school, and those who've had proper jobs they've quit to do influencing full time.
Absolutely. You really can tell the difference between those who have gone straight from school to influencing and those who used to just do it as a side thing and managed to work their way up to influencing full time. For people like Emma, she’s missed such a big step which is all part of growing up for a lot of people and I think it’s so so obvious.

Reactions: 5
Damn you guys are really giving me more reasons to dislike Emma but I can't help but have a soft spot for her 😂 of course that doesn't mean I agree with a lot of the things she's been doing!
Side note - I'm supposedly watching this thread but I don't get any notifications for it, anyone know what the deal is with that?

Reactions: 3
I like Emma too, I’m just noticing her issues more and more. I followed initially for her home renovation stuff but I think she posted 2 on her home Instagram and left it 😂

Reactions: 3
Damn you guys are really giving me more reasons to dislike Emma but I can't help but have a soft spot for her 😂 of course that doesn't mean I agree with a lot of the things she's been doing!
Side note - I'm supposedly watching this thread but I don't get any notifications for it, anyone know what the deal is with that?
I quite often have glitchy notifications for threads I haven't posted on. Maybe it will be ok going forwards now you posted here?

Unless you have already in which case I'm sorry I don't know!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
To answer her question: C. They both look like tit.
Isn’t she meant to be an actual makeup artist?
She does have background in makeup, I’m not sure of the specifics though, and whether she was an actual MUA or a makeup enthusiast

Absolutely. You really can tell the difference between those who have gone straight from school to influencing and those who used to just do it as a side thing and managed to work their way up to influencing full time. For people like Emma, she’s missed such a big step which is all part of growing up for a lot of people and I think it’s so so obvious.
She did used to work full time, she worked (I think) at Sally's salon services, she used to vlog alot about hating her job so she quit when her channel was still relatively small to go full time on YouTube.

Reactions: 2
She did used to work full time, she worked (I think) at Sally's salon services, she used to vlog alot about hating her job so she quit when her channel was still relatively small to go full time on YouTube.
I know she used to work there but I think there's something to be said about a young adult working a job they hate and don't give a tit about therefore not really getting to grips with a work ethic which is I think what Emma experienced

Edit: not saying that's what it takes to have a good work ethic, but I don't get the impression Emma ever had to be responsible for anything within her role, or if she did, she didn't really care about it

Reactions: 4
Can’t have been for that long surely? Anyone know how long she had that job?

The point I was making that if you watch YouTubers who have gone from a full-time job to full-time influencing, the way they talk about work is totally different. And also the effort gone into each job they do with brands is noticeable. Emma seems to fart around all day doing things she's been asked to do rather than being proactive

Reactions: 5
Right so now I'm on my lunch I've had a chance to articulate my thoughts a bit better. Not sure if they're wanted though!

Basically, when you think about it, an influencer is fundamentally a marketer. They have to market themselves in a way that amasses following, engagement and trust. They also have to do some kind of B2B marketing to make themselves desirable from a brand's perspective as well.

Emma just seems to kind of wander through life accepting random brand deals that insinuate she doesn't think about whether it's in line with her platform or not, she occasionally strikes gold with certain videos but that's entirely down to luck and there never seems to be any logic behind why she's doing something.

I always used to think influencers who talk about their work were just more transparent than others but I think it's genuinely a reflection of how they approach work. Take for example all the Benefit events Emma's been to. When you watch her at one, it's clear she's there because it's 'fun time' whereas really, they're networking events where she needs to advertise whatever new product they have out. But she just thinks 'oh I have a following, it's just enough for me to vlog it and I'm sure someone will buy it and use my discount code'

Reactions: 12
To be fair, I do love a fluffy soap brow, but not when the hairs stick straight up, it’s wayyyy more flattering and less werewolf-like if you do it at the diagonal. Just think Emma isn’t as good at makeup as she thinks! She out of practise because she’s too busy exercising or doing yoga or stewing apples

God, her makeup looks so rough in that video! I used to love her makeup, I thought she was creative and talented... not so much recently! I watched her old cruelty free makeup vids last week and they were so much better! The makeup was beautiful and she was much more personable.

PS. Who's gonna tell her that 'warmthening' isn't a word? :'D

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.