Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VeraF

Yeah i think everyone has different standards for this. It’s quite subjective based on your circumstances. To me, those videos showcase an average middle class or slightly upper middle class upbringing. Elle selectively highlights some aspects of her life & I think she does a good job embellishing her life. She’s privileged but not wealthy.

At the end of the day, Elle has to work to fund her discount designer. We’ve seen her haul coach, MK, kate spade in her early 20s. There was a slow and steady progression to being able to afford higher end designer. You can tell she’s impressed by the wealthier lifestyle dating Chris. nobody with family money is this excited about a ysl handbag at 31.

She scams people online and relies on this income. Why do this if she doesn’t need the money? She rents dingy apartments when her boyfriend is not covering the the rent.

She admitted she only started looking at investing recently. Wealthy kids have financial advisers or their parents will at least give them money and advice to start investing in the stock market or a rental property. She doesn’t take international vacations on her own dime Nor have we heard of her travels as a child. This in particular is extremely weird for someone who grew up rich.

I mean she clearly loves DryBar but she could only afford this in the Joe era... we know she would if she had the Budget to go every week ...
Economic terms like middle class, upper middle class, and upper class have standard definitions. They are not subjective. In America, if you make an annual family income of 100K - 350K, you're upper middle class, anything more and you're rich. By this definition and the worth of Elle's childhood home in Victoria and the gifts she received as a child, I would say she was upper middle class or at the lower end of upper class. I agree that she was never wealthy, but very few people in the world are.

Surmising affluence from behaviour does not account for cultural and personal differences. Those in the upper middle or lower end of the upper class can't buy everything they set their eyes on. They have most things available to them, but not everything. Investing money and financial advisers for children is the domain of the wealthy (think millions of dollars). As far as international vacations as a child go, even middle class people take their children on international vacations. It's a matter of inclination.

Reactions: 6

greenbear

VIP Member
I was shocked when I seen her at the start of the video, was the worst I've ever seen her looking, she looked unclean to me

actuallawyer

Does anyone else find it really telling--and quite sad, actually--that in her most recent video she turned the candle logo towards her as she sat down to relax on the couch? She is so pleased with herself and her logos (aka conspicuous consumption) actually brings her joy. It's actually making me kind of pity her in a way.

On a side note, I just started studying for the LSAT. :LOL:
That’s awesome! Good for you! It’s been a while since I took it and I’m glad it’s over!

poshspice88

I wonder if the scammer is working in Bainbridge office...she mentioned chocolate truffles from Bainbridge Island..as a real Seattlite we rarely go to Bainbridge for Bon BOns
I wonder if thats why she needed not one but TWO briefcases courtesy of Mama G
Good catch! Very plausible, IMO, since she doesn’t drive, she can take the ferry to Bainbridge (which she probably views as romantic), the office is only 0.3 miles from the ferry terminal.

greenbear

VIP Member
She did get her license eventually, although I find it weird she doesn’t have a car from an American standpoint (NYC is the exception). A few people in past GG threads said not driving is common for young Vancouverites, although I’m not familiar with Vancouver and Elle is approaching 32...she’s still young but I’d think by 30 you’d at least want a car???

To some degree I can relate with not liking driving but in the US having a car is essential, especially if you have the means for it. If I were Elle I’d be hitting up Ginette for a used vehicle, not some $3k wardrobe or a bunch of Smeg appliances.
what happened to the car she bought when she was in Florida?

MUALover

Chatty Member
I don’t want to derail the discussion about her family wealth, but I think Elle is working at the moment.
Not full time, but the part-time online teaching. She always teaches the class online in the fall term. She doesn’t need a briefcase for that for sure, but she’s not stringing pearls all day.
That makes her a few thousand dollars are the most. No way that sustains her lifestyle.

Drasticactions

VIP Member
Lol we are all on here speculating about her bf status, how much she spends a year, if her job actually is any work at all, so I don't think speculating on her headbands is really all that different.

greenbear

VIP Member
When is Elle Florence's birthday?? We aren't allowed to have people outside our household to come over for 4 weeks unless we quarantine ourselves beforehand...we can only meet up to 5 people outside..that means Elle can only have a party for her and her mom in her apartment. If she films anything showing a gathering she's breaking the rule.. especially if she's going to work with her briefcases

1.Indoor Social Gatherings with people from outside your household are prohibited
unless they (a) quarantine for fourteen days (14) prior to the social gathering; or (b)
quarantine for seven (7) days prior to the social gathering and receive a negative COVID-
19 test result no more than 48-hours prior to the gathering. A household is defined as
individuals residing in the same domicile.
2. Outdoor Social Gatherings shall be limited to five (5) people from outside your
household.

I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks rules don't apply to her....
who does Elle have to spend her bday with apart from momma G

Just a question. Can you say you just use a simple bb cream when you throw two other heavy foundations and or concealers on top of it? If your trying to trick us into thinking you have an easy minimal look we are not buying that.
right, she also should learn to contour that nose

I asked people who have these bags and they said that. Some never wore the Chanel jumbo after buying it. They said the reason why the bag was heavy was because of the double flap.

Whenever I walk into the LV store in my city, it's always filled with young Asian girls. But the funny thing is, I work in a hospital and none of the female doctors (all who make $200,000 per annum or more), I've never seen them with designer bags, not even in their personal lives. So I don't know who is buying all these designer bags TBH.
I can't comment on Hermes, but I know tons of people who buy LV or Chanel. I've seen engineers, sales reps, assistants, nurses, and honestly even doctors buy and wear them. Salary is irrelevant. It depends on the person's personal preference. If personally prefer the YSL style myself. I do agree though that YSL bags are lighter and easier to wear day to day compared to Chanel (for my personal life)

actuallawyer

That look you have when your mother's birthday means two luxury bags for you and an extra skillet of fries! She also called this her pumpkin spice sweater... ugh, she takes basic to a whole new level.
Is it just me or did the “bad root canal” not even fix Elle’s beaver teeth?

• Haha

MUALover

Chatty Member
She doesn’t go by herself cos she has to pay.

Professional women at her age can afford to eat at nice restaurants and go out.

The fact that Elle only ever goes on Ginette’s dime or a boyfriend says a lot about her disposable income and priorities. She enjoys good food and travel, why not use her own money? Because she’ll have to cut down on other purchases & she’d rather have a new YSL purse. She’s not wealthy enough to have it all.

Elle is a user and grifter. She’ll maximize everyone’s wallet so she can keep whatever she earns for herself to splurge on goods that can she can brag about or affiliate link

If she were an actual trust fund baby, had wealthy parents/ spouse etc she would splurge on it all. Have a nice apartment, fashionable clothing, in season designer goods, an actual heirloom jewelry collection, nice meals on the regular instead of bringing soup to work, international vacations, the works.

ginette is generous but not loaded, she used to have a decent salaried job and a lot of spare cash from her scams especially in peak YouTube days. Nowadays, with the lack of a regular pay check, fluctuating scam money and no boyfriend to foot the rent, she finds David’s tea and Dry bar expensive & can only afford the ugliest of designer bags 🤷‍♀️
The problem with Elle is that I don't think she can ever be too rich at the rate she wants to spend her money. You can spend $20-30 million easily that way. I mean some NBA players etc... blow through hundreds of millions (literally) and live old age in poverty. You need to know how to manage money no matter what income you have. Knowing how to live well on the income you have is an art.

With some help from Ginette, Elle with a regular 9-5 job that pays $60,000 a year can live well, supplemented with her pearl and scarf business on the side. She already has enough designer bags and clothes and MU to last years. She doesn't need anymore. Elle can live very comfortably on the money she has (actually had I should say). Costco has really high quality ingredient foods, provided you cook for yourself. She can eat out at a really fancy place once or twice a week, travel once or twice a year.

I bet if I had her privileges and money, I could live way better than her. If she thinks any sane guy would want to marry her at the rate she spends on her money, plus her unkemptness in general, she must be day dreaming.

MissGlam21

I was just thinking it’s strange she doesn’t want anyone to know her job on YouTube, she could potentially get some new clients from it, help all her admirers start their own YouTube, resell, craft businesses 😄
She said she’d be making business-related videos: how to submit incorporation docs, how to source materials, etc. It’s been over a year since she said she would do so.

• Haha

WaneGal

I don’t have an issue with any of those items either, to be honest. My Neverfull is so good for everything from the gym to a carry-on for travels and I’ve never felt like my Chanel medium flaps are heavy. I’m not a fan of the Ferragamos because I don’t like the style but I agree there’s nothing inherently wrong with the shoe.

Elle doesn’t have the monopoly on these items - they are honestly some of the most common luxury items for the mentioned brands and you can like them without liking Smelley or her style.

That being said, if someone else thinks it’s idiotic to spend that much on these items or they find them ugly...I would also understand that. Different priorities and budgets and no one is in the wrong. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Also it's very funny that Elle herself is not really a luxury YouTuber.

Now among the luxury community, hoarding for the sake of hoarding is really not current. The luxury community has shifted the focus to have a more curated collection, have a purpose for each item and acquire trendy items mindfully. These are the luxury topics that are getting views.

Chase Amie and her alikes are exceptions but I think that makes sense because their channel positioning is YSL encyclopedia.

• Heart

Seri

Noone here can 100% say what Elle's (and/or her mom's) financial situation is but behaviour-wise, she does spend like she's middle-class.

thecatlass

VIP Member
This is such an excellent point to make! I think most people don't realize just how much you have to alter to get the Elle effect...she essentially changed her entire face shape with her jaw surgery + fillers and nose job. It also looks like she might've had an eyebrow lift at some point as well.

I'm glad getting that one thing fixed has had such a positive impact on you! Sometimes one feature can really throw off the harmony of an entire face and I am pro getting that fixed up if it bothers you.

In today's world, I doubt anyone would care very much if you had a nose or boob job, but Elle's issue is how dramatically she altered her entire face. For better or worse, many people do associate extensive plastic surgery (invasive or otherwise) with shallowness and mental health issues.

Off-topic but I know this board is full of amazing ladies who know their stuff and I was hoping to get a perfume recommendation or two! My current rotation consists of YSL Black Opium (smells so cozy and lush) and Daisy Love (warm and sweet, but a bit generic in not a bad way). I would love to branch out and try your favorites or more niche, interesting scents!
There's a niche perfume in the same vein as Black Opium - Lucrethia by V Canto. Give it a try.

What notes do you like? YSL BO is a sweet gourmand and Daisy Love is floral-musky. Pure XS by Paco Rabanne is a good gourmand you could try. Or maybe Guerlain Mon edp?

Personally I am a fan of Guerlain fragrances (their in-store range is quite limited so I'd recommend heading to their website) and Diptyque. You may want to try Maison Francis Kurkdijan too. Very feminine, stylish scents.

• Heart

notsoposh

VIP Member
She follows Chris and Joe, both of them don’t follow her. But she doesn’t follow Rick, does anyone have theories?

• Wow