Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have used the scheme, going tomorrow to our local seafood place 🤤 Our 3rd meal out on it.

Reactions: 2
I just went to KFC to get lunch and apparently they aren't doing the discount, despite the government website saying otherwise.

I understand it's only KFC and it isn't alot of money anyway but it shouldn't be advertised if they aren't doing it. If I knew this, I would have gone to the lovely restaurant I went to yesterday instead.

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve used this now 🙈

I think it’s been fantastic and has really given people some confidence back 😀

Reactions: 5
Honestly I work in a restaurant and while it is a good thing for businesses and the economy it’s not so great for public health, it’s encouraging a lot of groups of people. I was out for a drink last weekend luckily we sat outside but I went in at one point to use the bathroom and honestly the inside was packed and no social distancing whatsoever it was absolutely rammed and they just kept letting people in. Everywhere we passed was jam packed
yeah I feel weird about using it because of this. I'm still adhering to social distancing from anyone not in my household (i know I must be one of the last people bothering!!!)

So it feels wrong to be going out for meals seeing big groups not distancing when I've not hugged my parents yet.

Reactions: 3
Tbh I’ve only used it at a cafe we live 2 doors down from! I can’t be bothered to book a table somewhere as we are a large family. I was tempted to get us all a half price maccies but table room and limited spaces etc I had no idea how that would work.

I've not used it anywhere yet as everywhere seems to walk in only and hell will freeze over before myself or any of my family are standing in those lines just for some money off! Germs everywhere. Some of our local takeaways are on it despite not having much, if any, indoor seating and when asked, they say they arent offering it so why is it on govt website? So ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I've not used it anywhere yet as everywhere seems to walk in only and hell will freeze over before myself or any of my family are standing in those lines just for some money off! Germs everywhere. Some of our local takeaways are on it despite not having much, if any, indoor seating and when asked, they say they arent offering it so why is it on govt website? So ridiculous.
Ive not used it either Ive just been going through the drive thru. :LOL:

I'm getting increasingly annoyed every time I hear "a Rishi dishy" or "cheers Rishi" he ain't paying for this, you and your grandchildren are! It's just part of keeping one of the most unequal developed countries in the world ticking along. Bread and circuses :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 16
yeah I feel weird about using it because of this. I'm still adhering to social distancing from anyone not in my household (i know I must be one of the last people bothering!!!)

So it feels wrong to be going out for meals seeing big groups not distancing when I've not hugged my parents yet.
I’ve been out for dinner once and it was for a birthday dinner and we booked it for a lot earlier so it wasn’t overly busy started to get busy when we left. You weren’t allowed to leave the table and had to ask to go to the toilet ffs felt like I was back in school

we had five guys today, I said we were eating in but we left when the food was given to us. I did feel a little bit bad lying but enjoyed the food even more at home 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm getting increasingly annoyed every time I hear "a Rishi dishy" or "cheers Rishi" he ain't paying for this, you and your grandchildren are! It's just part of keeping one of the most unequal developed countries in the world ticking along. Bread and circuses :LOL:
Boris Brunch is another I've heard.

It's a company choice whether they take part or not, it's not mandatory for all companies to do it.

It's a company choice whether they take part or not, it's not mandatory for all companies to do it.
I know, the takeaways have all signed up for the scheme though as per the govt website? Even though they have no indoor or outdoor seating. So it cant be Eat In to Help Out if theres no facilities for it.

My partner is the manager of a pub and the last 3 weeks Monday-Wednesday I've barely seen him and when i have its been late at night and he's been miserable. Customers have been rude to him and customers have completely ignored social distancing. It has took a big strain on him. He's done massive food orders and they keep being sold out. Customers speak to him like tit. Its horrible to hear. There are people like that all year round, I've seen him angry after having to deal with customers before but not like this. Covid just makes it so much worse.
I've seen an article tonight too saying that some places have had to pull out of it due to the stress of it. I can understand after seeing my partner.

Fairplay to the people who have used it and don't speak to the hospitality staff like utter crap though 😊

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
My partner is the manager of a pub and the last 3 weeks Monday-Wednesday I've barely seen him and when i have its been late at night and he's been miserable. Customers have been rude to him and customers have completely ignored social distancing. It has took a big strain on him. He's done massive food orders and they keep being sold out. Customers speak to him like tit. Its horrible to hear. There are people like that all year round, I've seen him angry after having to deal with customers before but not like this. Covid just makes it so much worse.
I've seen an article tonight too saying that some places have had to pull out of it due to the stress of it. I can understand after seeing my partner.

Fairplay to the people who have used it and don't speak to the hospitality staff like utter crap though 😊
That’s awful, nobody deserves to be spoken to like that , more so when they are doing their job. I think many people have far too much time on their hands and a sense of entitlement. You think people would be more pleasant after the awful few months we’ve had, but no, some people get worse or never change.

I know, the takeaways have all signed up for the scheme though as per the govt website? Even though they have no indoor or outdoor seating. So it cant be Eat In to Help Out if theres no facilities for it.
I must be misunderstanding you. The government haven't automatically enrolled any company into the scheme and even reviewing the website I can't see it says all takeouts have be enrolled - can you link me? I've had one takeaway since the scheme started and it certainly wasn't discounted.

I posted something similar earlier in the thread. My husband is a chef and he's gone from doing 40 on a Monday to 280. Same issues re social distancing, food ordering and amount sold (chefs on days off tomorrow are having to go in as they've been stripped of everything in the stores) customers being rude and obnoxious and just added stress and pressure on the whole team.

I don't need to tell you it's a tough industry to work in. Four more to go. ❤

Last edited:
  • Sad
I must be misunderstanding you. The government haven't automatically enrolled any company into the scheme and even reviewing the website I can't see it says all takeouts have be enrolled - can you link me? I've had one takeaway since the scheme started and it certainly wasn't discounted.
Youre misunderstanding me. I said the takeaways near me have all signed up to participate in the scheme themselves however they do not meet the criteria of having indoor/outdoor seating therefore surely cant be eligible? Idk if these businesses signed up by accident or if they're doing some sort of scam whereby they say people are eating in and claim the 50% off anyway.

Youre misunderstanding me. I said the takeaways near me have all signed up to participate in the scheme themselves however they do not meet the criteria of having indoor/outdoor seating therefore surely cant be eligible? Idk if these businesses signed up by accident or if they're doing some sort of scam whereby they say people are eating in and claim the 50% off anyway.
Ah apologies. Well, McDonalds are doing it for drive through a I hear (personally I can't stand the place), so that's no different surely?

ETA - I stand corrected. They're likely to be required to refund the government (and/or fraud)...!!

Eligibility for ‘on-premises’ consumption
What counts as ‘on premises’
For the purposes of this scheme, the term ‘on premises’ means any area set aside for the consumption of food or non-alcoholic drink by that establishment’s customers, whether or not that area may also be used by the customers of other establishments.

Last edited:
Ah apologies. Well, McDonalds are doing it for drive through a I hear (personally I can't stand the place), so that's no different surely?

ETA - I stand corrected. They're likely to be required to refund the government (and/or fraud)...!!

Eligibility for ‘on-premises’ consumption
What counts as ‘on premises’
For the purposes of this scheme, the term ‘on premises’ means any area set aside for the consumption of food or non-alcoholic drink by that establishment’s customers, whether or not that area may also be used by the customers of other establishments.

No McDonalds near us have been doing it for drive thru. Strictly eat in only and food is bought to your tables like any restaurant with table assigned. Interesting seeing how different businesses are operating! Personally I'm disappointed in all the hassle of getting a table and the awful queues and traffic everywhere Mon-Weds!