Eat Out To Help Out Scheme

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Theres word on social media the scheme is to be extended. I really hope not. The roads are packed Mon-Weds!

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Oh dear it ends on a bank holiday?! Those poor staff.

Owners are saying it's been a huge success and want it to be extended on R2. Who'd of thought giving something half price would be a success 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Lots of independents around me are carrying it on into September themselves....

If it didn't end next Monday I would consider walking out. The amount of customers being vile last night and probably happen tonight was unbelievable. Orders were huge a lot bigger than usual to be expected to have that available fast when everyone seem to going over board. I was lucky enough to be sorting out deliveries but had customers come up to me asking why they are getting served first. I didn't respond but Really? Do I have to explain people at home have just spent as small fortune on delivery etc i really could rant on but its not worth it

• Heart
A lot of places do things like “half price Monday” “kids eat for £1 Tuesday” etc so i can totally see how some places will want to carry on their own version of the scheme whilst still making a profit even without gov assistance.

So far we’ve been to McDonald’s. As a family we have sophisticated tastes....

• Haha
Reactions: 6
For many companies the half price deals make a lot of sense seeing as even for non-acholic drinks they are where lots of the money is made.

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but many places used to do this deal in January weekdays as it was so quiet. Places like yo sushi seemed expensive even at half price where £50 full value of food for two people and still not filled up, and this was 10 years ago :LOL:

I’ve used the scheme a good amount of times, but I’ve mostly spent about the same per week as pre-lockdown. I used to take my daughter out for breakfast once a week and now take her out twice due to the discount. Next week we’ll be back to once a week

Was the goal to get people back to their normal habits, or to encourage them to eat out more than pre-lockdown?

While I will almost definitely go back to my old habit of eating out on a weekly basis (my daughter wouldn’t be amused if that ended), in a way I feel like the scheme has put me off eating out. It’s crazy how the cashier knocks off half the bill with the press of a button when you say you’re eating in. I use freebie/discount apps for groceries and sometimes an item will be offered for free multiple times. The goal is probably to get you into the habit of buying it, but it never works on me. Had literally 10 bottles of a decent lager for free - perfectly enjoyable but would never pay for it. Several cans of the same fizzy drink, all free - loved it, but would only get as part of a meal deal if my five preferred drinks were out of stock (so, never). So I think my mindset may have been affected in a way that the government didn’t intend - maybe I’m in the minority though

I'm glad it's worked to be honest and lots of places have been busy as I know pubs/restaurant will of struggled from being shut for so long but I've actually avoided going out Mon-Weds because I knew everywhere would be busy! I wouldn't normally go out to eat on those days anyway unless it was a special occasion and in the day I'm at work so I've stuck to weekends. I went to a pub Friday and it was dead for a Friday, said they'd been really busy start of the week instead because of the eat out scheme.

Reactions: 4
For many companies the half price deals make a lot of sense seeing as even for non-acholic drinks they are where lots of the money is made.

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but many places used to do this deal in January weekdays as it was so quiet. Places like yo sushi seemed expensive even at half price where £50 full value of food for two people and still not filled up, and this was 10 years ago :LOL:
I know places that do two for one curry nights, 50% pizzas/steaks/grill food early in the week. And don't forget the good old pub quiz on a week night to get punters in!

I’ve used the scheme a good amount of times, but I’ve mostly spent about the same per week as pre-lockdown. I used to take my daughter out for breakfast once a week and now take her out twice due to the discount. Next week we’ll be back to once a week

Was the goal to get people back to their normal habits, or to encourage them to eat out more than pre-lockdown?

While I will almost definitely go back to my old habit of eating out on a weekly basis (my daughter wouldn’t be amused if that ended), in a way I feel like the scheme has put me off eating out. It’s crazy how the cashier knocks off half the bill with the press of a button when you say you’re eating in. I use freebie/discount apps for groceries and sometimes an item will be offered for free multiple times. The goal is probably to get you into the habit of buying it, but it never works on me. Had literally 10 bottles of a decent lager for free - perfectly enjoyable but would never pay for it. Several cans of the same fizzy drink, all free - loved it, but would only get as part of a meal deal if my five preferred drinks were out of stock (so, never). So I think my mindset may have been affected in a way that the government didn’t intend - maybe I’m in the minority though
I think how you're feeling would make sense if the 50% (or £10) that's getting deducted didn't exist for the cafe/restaurant, but they're claiming it back from the government so they're still getting the full amount you would have paid if the scheme didn't exist.

It’s all about giving confidence, people are out having a meal and will go shopping, cinema etc while they are there.

30% additional retail footfall the first week it was on!

I have very much taken advantage of this scheme 🤣🐷

Also the morrisons cafe lets children eat for free all day now (not just after 3pm) so for four meals and drinks we have been paying £5!

Toby carvery, harvester and sizzling pubs are extending the scheme till the 9th.

Toby carvery, harvester and sizzling pubs are extending the scheme till the 9th.
People may celebrate at getting a cheap harvester but this is bad news for independent restaurants which don't have the deep pockets that the chains have. They'll either feel forced to carry on offering the discount but somehow funding it themselves in order to avoid losing all their customers to Toby Carvery etc; or risk a load of abuse from customers if they don't offer the discount.

I feel very sorry for anyone trying to run or work in an independent restaurant.

My local independents had all announced a continuation of offers before the chains did (similar how they all carried on trading as takeaways when the chains closed down, and were the first to reopen)