Eastenders #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else feel like there is a distinct lack of nuance in characterisation these days?

Take Aaron for example. New character and it feels like his characterisation is just “bad person” so he just does all the BAD PERSON stuff because he is there purely for the audience to not like, so we see him spiking his fathers drink, being racist, controlling his younger sister, treating Tiffany badly. Which is fine, if he’s just a flash in the pan character/ plot device, but you know what would be much more interesting to watch? A proper East End lad, he’s happy go lucky, he’s funny, he’s charismatic and he is introduced as such. We meet him, he clearly cares a great deal for his family and has an eye for the ladies. Gradually we are introduced to his flaws, he’s quite eager to jump down Bobby’s throat but the audience understands that because Bobby is an ex-offender and he’s looking out for his sister. Maybe there are points at which the audience might question his motives, is he islamophobic? We don’t know. The tension builds, a little comment here, a little comment there. Then gradually we find out about his connections to anti-Islam groups but he’s torn because actually he’s started to get on with Bobby a bit and that’s unsettling for him because maybe muslims ARE ok but at the same time he can’t stop the odd comment about mosques etc. Then one day he loses it and all the vitriol comes out and his racism is out there and then bang you suddenly have a character who the audience have grown fond of despite reservations suddenly being an out and out islamaphobe and he either goes bull blown islamophobe or we get to see his journey into change and discovery.

but no, let’s just have an all around hole with no redeeming qualities who can just be a villain for 6 months before either leaving or having a total personality transplant.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Anyone else feel like there is a distinct lack of nuance in characterisation these days?

Take Aaron for example. New character and it feels like his characterisation is just “bad person” so he just does all the BAD PERSON stuff because he is there purely for the audience to not like, so we see him spiking his fathers drink, being racist, controlling his younger sister, treating Tiffany badly. Which is fine, if he’s just a flash in the pan character/ plot device, but you know what would be much more interesting to watch? A proper East End lad, he’s happy go lucky, he’s funny, he’s charismatic and he is introduced as such. We meet him, he clearly cares a great deal for his family and has an eye for the ladies. Gradually we are introduced to his flaws, he’s quite eager to jump down Bobby’s throat but the audience understands that because Bobby is an ex-offender and he’s looking out for his sister. Maybe there are points at which the audience might question his motives, is he islamophobic? We don’t know. The tension builds, a little comment here, a little comment there. Then gradually we find out about his connections to anti-Islam groups but he’s torn because actually he’s started to get on with Bobby a bit and that’s unsettling for him because maybe muslims ARE ok but at the same time he can’t stop the odd comment about mosques etc. Then one day he loses it and all the vitriol comes out and his racism is out there and then bang you suddenly have a character who the audience have grown fond of despite reservations suddenly being an out and out islamaphobe and he either goes bull blown islamophobe or we get to see his journey into change and discovery.

but no, let’s just have an all around hole with no redeeming qualities who can just be a villain for 6 months before either leaving or having a total personality transplant.
Yes THIS!!! It's so rare to get well rounded, long term, meaningful characters any more. Whenever someone new comes on the square you just know they're there to cause trouble and then be gone in a few months.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think they're trying to make Eve well-rounded. She's charismatic and seems to mean well most of the time but she's landed herself in prison several times too.

Reactions: 4
I think they're trying to make Eve well-rounded. She's charismatic and seems to mean well most of the time but she's landed herself in prison several times too.
Yes I do have a much better feeling about her as a character than many of the more recent introductions

The actor formerly known as Kush, now on Holly City, is freaking me out with his very put on posted up accent. 😖

• Haha
Anyone watching I’m A Celeb? Seems like Adam (Ian) has just confirmed he’s not going back to Eastenders

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Anyone watching I’m A Celeb? Seems like Adam (Ian) has just confirmed he’s not going back to Eastenders
He wants to act in other things which is understandable but I'm not yet convinced that he'll be inundated with other work. He'll probably be back in a few years.

Having said that I'm not missing him at all and couldn't care less less either way. It's a shame that his exit wasn't better.

I love Eve so far she's great.

Tbh I find Tiffany’s acting really bad lol, it’s like she doesn’t really act she just plays as herself and sometimes she seems really stiff and unable to actually express emotions well, I do have a feeling she’s going to get killed off and that she’ll probably end up dead because of Aaron, but then that depends on whether she wants to leave her exit open to return. Definitely can not see her in other things, although I can see her being a good tv presenter! But she’s not Hollywood materiel…

Reactions: 12
It should have been either Ian or Phil who died on the boat, not Denny.
From a dramatic point of view it would have been a good way to kill off a major character like Ian or Phil if they wanted to leave, but I'm glad they didn't.

Reactions: 2
Eve was the best thing about Tuesdays episode. Loved her flirting with Ash and setting her up 😊

😌 'Pregnant person' it seems poor Lexi and the kids of Walford Primary haven't been given any biology lessons yet 🙄

Tbh I find Tiffany’s acting really bad lol, it’s like she doesn’t really act she just plays as herself and sometimes she seems really stiff and unable to actually express emotions well, I do have a feeling she’s going to get killed off and that she’ll probably end up dead because of Aaron, but then that depends on whether she wants to leave her exit open to return. Definitely can not see her in other things, although I can see her being a good tv presenter! But she’s not Hollywood materiel…
And the pouting!

Reactions: 3
I like Eve, best new character in a while. Would love for her to become a long term character but I’m sure I read somewhere she’s only in it for a few months.

I like Eve, best new character in a while. Would love for her to become a long term character but I’m sure I read somewhere she’s only in it for a few months.
She’s definitely the most likeable character & actor I’ve seen it for a long time.

Some people are just arseholes all of the time like that though. I get what you're saying but I'm kind of glad we aren't seeing more of him than we are, Dana's family are boring wish they'd leave. The dads not so bad I'd quite like things to work out for him and jean.

Totally agree especially from watching her videos on tiktok she definitely is just playing herself. She was brilliant when she was a little girl though so maybe she does need other roles to be able to show off her range. Or she'll still be playing Maisie. Time will tell.

😌 'Pregnant person' it seems poor Lexi and the kids of Walford Primary haven't been given any biology lessons yet 🙄
I knew someone would bring that up when I heard that line 😂 😂 regardless of the different views about gender discourse, its not as if Lexi is going to know anything beyond 'women have babies and men don't'.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.