Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks 😊 I've looked over the route lots. I know up to half way, so it's really 11miles that is 'new' those 11 miles are mainly straight roads and then the last couple miles are smaller country lanes.
I know I'll be fine and I'm totally planning on getting a celebratory mcdonalds with my boy when we get back into our hometown 😆
It's just fell that my husband is working. But I keep thinking it could be a much longer route with horrible motorway roundabouts etc. I'll update you all, I've got this 💪

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I passed my test 5 years ago, drove for a year (never on my own as it was my ex partners car and he was a bit nervy letting me in it alone 😂) and haven’t done anything since. I’m now looking at refresher lessons to try and get back into it but the thought honestly makes me feel sick. Someone please tell me this gets easier 😭😭

I desperately want to drive because I want the independence that comes with it but the ANXIETY 😩 praying once I actually get in a car it won’t seem like such a big deal!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just having a word vomit on here to see if it helps. I've got to drive my son to a football game tomorrow. Its only 22 miles away, and will take me about 40 minutes. There's no dual carriage ways and it seems a fairly straight road journey, majority is on A roads, some country lanes but wide ones if you know what I mean.
When I read all that, its stupid that I am so panicky and thinking can I message another mum and care share 😔 my mum has offered to come and I've said no - I need to do it on my own. So many of my friends drive further away with thier kids and I don't because of my nerves. I know it'll be fine, we'll get there fine and I'll spend the match panicking about getting back, then we'll be fine again. I'm so anxious though. I keep thinking at least there is no slip roads, no motorway roundabouts - its going to be so much easier than the last long drive I had to do with him. I just can't shake the nerves 😮💨
There's a driving anxious thread if you feel that may be helpful?

I made it 🙌 got the the point I knew and then it was fairly easy. A couple cars over took me on the country roads but I'd rather they did that than stay up my rear end. Made it 10 minutes early and on the way home we had a celebration subway 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I made it 🙌 got the the point I knew and then it was fairly easy. A couple cars over took me on the country roads but I'd rather they did that than stay up my rear end. Made it 10 minutes early and on the way home we had a celebration subway 😆

Congrats ❤ 💪 Happy for you that it all worked out fine!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
This will sound absolutely mental but I drove on the motorway earlier and left an hour before my usual time for feeling confident on the motorway. Usually wait until after 9:30pm but left at 8:30. When I arrived I even managed a decent parallel park 😂😂it’s took me ages to get anywhere with my confidence driving any distances but I didn’t feel panicky getting in the car tonight. Small wins.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve arranged an appointment for next Friday which means I wiil have to drive from Leeds to Pontefract. I haven’t driven on a motorway/in the city centre in over 10 years and I feel really worried but at the same time like I just need to get it done. It’s not even a very long route in the great scheme of things.

This thread is really helpful for motivation and I feel so pleased for everyone who overcomes their fear.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Driving in the morning with a friend in the car for the first time. Bit nervous that I might get distracted or something. I'm probably worried about nothing - I drove to a new place last week and it was absolutely fine even though a road was shut and I had to follow a diversion.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Driving in the morning with a friend in the car for the first time. Bit nervous that I might get distracted or something. I'm probably worried about nothing - I drove to a new place last week and it was absolutely fine even though a road was shut and I had to follow a diversion.
I politely ask my friends to stop talking for a bit if I really need to concentrate 😂

I did a multistorey car park for the first time, they give me the fear 😅

There's never been a time where iv not had driving anxiety, but yday when I was picking my little boy up from nursery I knocked a car on the car park. It was absolutely my fault, I just find it so hard doing manoeuvres. Usually I pick 'drive through' car park spaces, but there wasn't one. And now I'm in absolute panic mode with the thought of going back there, it actually makes me feel so sick and short of breath. The bloke who's car it was, was so lovely to me. But iv left traumatised! I know it sounds so ridiculous because it was just a knock but that's how bad my anxiety with driving is.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
There's never been a time where iv not had driving anxiety, but yday when I was picking my little boy up from nursery I knocked a car on the car park. It was absolutely my fault, I just find it so hard doing manoeuvres. Usually I pick 'drive through' car park spaces, but there wasn't one. And now I'm in absolute panic mode with the thought of going back there, it actually makes me feel so sick and short of breath. The bloke who's car it was, was so lovely to me. But iv left traumatised! I know it sounds so ridiculous because it was just a knock but that's how bad my anxiety with driving is.
Many years ago I did something very similar and the bloke was NOT understanding. I can empathise with the trauma, it was horrible.

I think the best thing to do is just get back in the car, really. I need to practise my manoeuvres more because the thought of doing a reverse bay park between two cars makes me nervous!

Reactions: 3
At least the guy was nice about it and not a dick, as you say it’s just a wee knock. Don’t be hard on yourself but I do understand it’s easier said than done as I would be the same as you but these things will happen everyday in car parks, so easily done. Driving anxiety is so hard to deal with every little thing plays on your mind.

• Heart
At least the guy was nice about it and not a dick, as you say it’s just a wee knock. Don’t be hard on yourself but I do understand it’s easier said than done as I would be the same as you but these things will happen everyday in car parks, so easily done. Driving anxiety is so hard to deal with every little thing plays on your mind.
Honestly i really struggle with it, it'd a constant battle. I pull out of meeting up with friends, taking my little boy places and holidays because of it. Iv tried so many confidence classes, iv even gone to the speakmans! But I can't seem to conquer it. I'm forever on Google maps, planning a route or parking options, I swear it takes over my life at times.🥺🥺🥺I'm just really struggling with it atm! And unless you have the same thing, not many people seem to understand x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Honestly i really struggle with it, it'd a constant battle. I pull out of meeting up with friends, taking my little boy places and holidays because of it. Iv tried so many confidence classes, iv even gone to the speakmans! But I can't seem to conquer it. I'm forever on Google maps, planning a route or parking options, I swear it takes over my life at times.🥺🥺🥺I'm just really struggling with it atm! And unless you have the same thing, not many people seem to understand x
I had considered trying hypnotherapy but I’ve not seen about it yet. I worry so much about doing journeys that aren’t little local drives that I just burst into tears and more often than not cancel. It can be so debilitating, I honestly felt I had more freedom when I didn’t drive because people knew I was limited to public transport or getting lifts but now people expect me to drive and I’m embarrassed sometimes to say how I’m feeling about it. I was meeting a friend in the summer and had to drive down a windy, narrow road and there’s a tight corner where I hit the kerb. Nothing serious at all but there was a car behind me and still to this day I worry about what the people in that car were thinking 😂when I have to take my dog to the vets there’s only a small car park and I’m parked up 45 minutes before the appointment in case I go closer to the time and there’s no spaces. I just wish I could get to a point where every drive is just done without thinking. The only place I don’t worry about is driving to Asda because the car park is massive and I just park as far away from the door as possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had considered trying hypnotherapy but I’ve not seen about it yet. I worry so much about doing journeys that aren’t little local drives that I just burst into tears and more often than not cancel. It can be so debilitating, I honestly felt I had more freedom when I didn’t drive because people knew I was limited to public transport or getting lifts but now people expect me to drive and I’m embarrassed sometimes to say how I’m feeling about it. I was meeting a friend in the summer and had to drive down a windy, narrow road and there’s a tight corner where I hit the kerb. Nothing serious at all but there was a car behind me and still to this day I worry about what the people in that car were thinking 😂when I have to take my dog to the vets there’s only a small car park and I’m parked up 45 minutes before the appointment in case I go closer to the time and there’s no spaces. I just wish I could get to a point where every drive is just done without thinking. The only place I don’t worry about is driving to Asda because the car park is massive and I just park as far away from the door as possible.
Are you me? This is exactly how I am!!! I always choose places to shop based on the car parks!! Its bad ,but online shopping is a god send for me. What I worrying about now is when my little boy goes to school and il have to drive and park every day! Fills me with absolute dread.
I can relate to the hitting the kerb and worrying about people seeing you,I would be the exact same. In fact I think that's what upset me about yday- in case anyone saw me. I keep thinking everyone will see my car now and be like 'oh god, here she is, that loser who can't drive' I hate it xx

• Heart
Are you me? This is exactly how I am!!! I always choose places to shop based on the car parks!! Its bad ,but online shopping is a god send for me. What I worrying about now is when my little boy goes to school and il have to drive and park every day! Fills me with absolute dread.
I can relate to the hitting the kerb and worrying about people seeing you,I would be the exact same. In fact I think that's what upset me about yday- in case anyone saw me. I keep thinking everyone will see my car now and be like 'oh god, here she is, that loser who can't drive' I hate it xx
The thing is when I am out driving and I see how some other people drive I think why do I worry so much?! No one else seems to care at all about how they drive. Anyone else around you yesterday will not even be giving it a second thought.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The thing is when I am out driving and I see how some other people drive I think why do I worry so much?! No one else seems to care at all about how they drive. Anyone else around you yesterday will not even be giving it a second thought.
That's so true, I don't know what it is with me, I'm just full of anxiety I'm regards to driving.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Well I've chickened out of driving to Pontefract I'm getting the train instead 🤦🏼‍♀️
My friend drove me on the motorway the other week and she just went really slow when she wasn't sure where she was going. She just didn't care if she pissed anyone off 😂 wish I could be like that!
I realised I'd be driving back in the dark and it made me nervous 😬

• Heart