Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hope you don't mind me dropping on here to ask this but I'm nearly thirty and decided to try driving I've passed my theory and was looking forward to beginning my actual driving lessons.

Yesterday I had my first one and the instructor was so chatty but I felt really uncomfortable he even called me princess which just made me feel grossed out being a woman and him a near sixty year old man he also discussed accidents learners had caused and talked about how many learners he's had pass and his rate is really high and when he got me to try driving around the corners of roads he'd moan about me drifting or turning too early or late and be huffy about it but I'm a complete beginner I came home and my confidence to try again has been dented I felt so uncomfortable has anyone else had anything like this happen?!?

The instructor shouldn’t distract you with being too chatty or make you lose track! My first instructor also was always moaning about stuff and I never gained confidence with him. I should have asked to switch instructors, which is what I would recommend in your case as well, if possible. When I took refresher lessons a couple of years ago the guy made all the difference by having a much better attitude.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm definitely going to switch I just feel full of dread about facing him again I just felt so rubbish 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 2
On my first ever driving lesson i entered the car and my instructor said “okay let’s go then” and got super impatient when I explained I didn’t know what to do, I had never driven before. 🤨
Plus he had no patience whatsoever when I made mistakes and was always making fun of me.
I have no doubt this was the reason it took me 10 years to drive a car again, and I still have massive anxiety. So my recommendation is: change your instructor if you can!!!

• Heart
Thanks so much I'm definitely going to ring and change in the morning I feel less anxious even thinking that way hopefully second time lucky🤞

Reactions: 1
This week I drove from Teesside to Manchester and back in my new car for the first time. It is about 120 miles each way.

My new car is a little faster on acceleration and breaking compared to my old one ( both 1.0 automatics, but old was a 2008 108 and new is the 2018 version), so it made joining the motorway and changing lanes much easier.

What is funny, is I do this drive once a month and I would rather drive to Manchester than drive to somewhere 15 minutes from my house if I have not been there before.

I did come back a day earlier than planned though, I don't trust the weather,l forecast for tomorrow, especially where the motorway crosses the moors just outside of Manchester (where a sign tells you that you are on England's highest motorway). No matter the weather, it is always worse up there.

Reactions: 6
I drove across the Pennines recently and the crosswinds are no joke! I think my next drive will be to somewhere i've been before so feeling confident.

I drove across the Pennines recently and the crosswinds are no joke! I think my next drive will be to somewhere i've been before so feeling confident.
This morning I saw a single overhead sign warning drivers to slow down for strong winds. I was almost ready to metaphorically pee my pants, but then I realised that I could see any trees/bushes/grass etc moving so it would be okay. You must have been very brave.

This week I drove from Teesside to Manchester and back in my new car for the first time. It is about 120 miles each way.

My new car is a little faster on acceleration and breaking compared to my old one ( both 1.0 automatics, but old was a 2008 108 and new is the 2018 version), so it made joining the motorway and changing lanes much easier.

What is funny, is I do this drive once a month and I would rather drive to Manchester than drive to somewhere 15 minutes from my house if I have not been there before.

I did come back a day earlier than planned though, I don't trust the weather,l forecast for tomorrow, especially where the motorway crosses the moors just outside of Manchester (where a sign tells you that you are on England's highest motorway). No matter the weather, it is always worse up there.
I live about five miles away from the summit of the M62 and I wouldn’t want to be stuck up there in the snow!

I really surprised myself last week in booking an automatic electric car, nothing I'd ever driven before (I normally get a manual). Was nervous because I know the acceleration and breaking is way more sudden, but I kind of wanted to test it for the novelty of it. It went all fine and I came home rather proud with myself 😂 Two years or so ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of not choosing anything but the most familiar type of model and here I go, still driving mostly familiar routes, but not panicking anymore because one aspect is a bit different. It really does get better with practice!

I really surprised myself last week in booking an automatic electric car, nothing I'd ever driven before (I normally get a manual). Was nervous because I know the acceleration and breaking is way more sudden, but I kind of wanted to test it for the novelty of it. It went all fine and I came home rather proud with myself 😂 Two years or so ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of not choosing anything but the most familiar type of model and here I go, still driving mostly familiar routes, but not panicking anymore because one aspect is a bit different. It really does get better with practice!
Automatics are so much easier, let's you have way more attention on what's happening around!!

We needed a second car and decided to get an automatic (I was always picking up the kids with the bike or on foot and it was just taking so long).

Life changing 😐 I’ll never touch a manual car again

Reactions: 3
I don't mind the manual, tbh, but it is much easier with automatic and I think especially for a beginner it's just better, once less thing to get right. Why make life harder than it needs to be? I've already booked the electric car for my next appointment again, and another one after, I liked it a lot. Don't think I'll go back to the manual car unless the other one is unavailable.

I passed my test in a manual, it just seems so pointless now though.

At least here (Germany) if you only learned using automatic, there will be a note on the license that you can only drive automatic. Not the other way around, if you pass using manual, they trust you to drive automatic. Not sure if it's the same where you are, but from my perspective, nope, not wasted at all!

At least here (Germany) if you only learned using automatic, there will be a note on the license that you can only drive automatic. Not the other way around, if you pass using manual, they trust you to drive automatic. Not sure if it's the same where you are, but from my perspective, nope, not wasted at all!
Same in the UK but I would not go back to manual now, I'd have to practice for ages as I don't remember what the whole deal with the clutch is anymore 😂

• Heart
I've always driven a manual. My husband gets given cars as part of us job and says I would far prefer an automatic though.

Side note, I bought some night time driving glasses off amazon. They're really useful if you aren't a fan of night time driving like me x

Last weekend I drove up to Manchester to stay with my partner for a week ( currently long distance), and I got caught in horrible traffic due to an accident on the m62 closing the road.

I drove home today and the road was again closed due to an accident. My sat nav told me the diversion it had planned would add no more than 15 minutes to my journey home, so I set off a few minutes after 8am. I finally got home a few minutes after 12pm.

I joined the motorway, lulled into a false sense of security by what my satnav said. I would drive for about 15 minutes, leave the motorway, spend 15 minutes on local roads and be back on the motorway....

I heard the dreaded reroute ping several times.

The diversion took around an hour. I went along duel carriage ways, through suburbs, down the High Street of lovely little villages. I went up and down hills and saw pubs that must only cater to the hardiest of hikers. I saw several reservoirs I had never seen before. I saw a town I didn't recognise on the other side of a valley. At one point I parked at an aldi and went for a look around the store for a break from driving.

I eventually joined the m62 again. I was about 15 minutes down the road from where I left it. Still had 90 minutes to go. Had to take another break at Wetherby services as I was feeling drained and was both hungry and desperate for the loo.

I am not sure how i managed to do this drive. My entire body is aching, I an utterly exhausted 😩

However, I am so proud of myself. This was the most difficult drive I have ever accomplished. I held it together, I didn't make any mistakes and I didn't stop to have a cry.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Last weekend I drove up to Manchester to stay with my partner for a week ( currently long distance), and I got caught in horrible traffic due to an accident on the m62 closing the road.

I drove home today and the road was again closed due to an accident. My sat nav told me the diversion it had planned would add no more than 15 minutes to my journey home, so I set off a few minutes after 8am. I finally got home a few minutes after 12pm.

I joined the motorway, lulled into a false sense of security by what my satnav said. I would drive for about 15 minutes, leave the motorway, spend 15 minutes on local roads and be back on the motorway....

I heard the dreaded reroute ping several times.

The diversion took around an hour. I went along duel carriage ways, through suburbs, down the High Street of lovely little villages. I went up and down hills and saw pubs that must only cater to the hardiest of hikers. I saw several reservoirs I had never seen before. I saw a town I didn't recognise on the other side of a valley. At one point I parked at an aldi and went for a look around the store for a break from driving.

I eventually joined the m62 again. I was about 15 minutes down the road from where I left it. Still had 90 minutes to go. Had to take another break at Wetherby services as I was feeling drained and was both hungry and desperate for the loo.

I am not sure how i managed to do this drive. My entire body is aching, I an utterly exhausted 😩

However, I am so proud of myself. This was the most difficult drive I have ever accomplished. I held it together, I didn't make any mistakes and I didn't stop to have a cry.
Oh you poor thing, I can only imagine how stressful that must have been! You can truly be proud of yourself for getting through it. It’s the thing you’d never have chosen but you were able to do it!

• Heart
Oh you poor thing, I can only imagine how stressful that must have been! You can truly be proud of yourself for getting through it. It’s the thing you’d never have chosen but you were able to do it!
Thank you 😊

I felt like I was in back to back exams all yesterday. Had to treat myself to a very large glass of wine last night.