Dr Jessica Taylor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her claim that supervisors tried to prevent her getting a PhD because she was a working class, single mother would ring true if this was 1963 but now? I can't believe it. A lot of her statements have this problem - it's like they come from a different time and she expects people to believe them because they sound so similar to stories other people have told about their lives. She has a real talent for repurposing common social narratives and attaching them to herself.

Reactions: 13
Her claim that supervisors tried to prevent her getting a PhD because she was a working class, single mother would ring true if this was 1963 but now? I can't believe it. A lot of her statements have this problem - it's like they come from a different time and she expects people to believe them because they sound so similar to stories other people have told about their lives. She has a real talent for repurposing common social narratives and attaching them to herself.
I thought her claim was that they tried to stop her because they thought she was too public about her own experience of sexual violence. Unfortunately that's possible. I have known situations where PhD candidates with lived experience of their topic were treated as if their motives were doubtful and their work was automatically of lesser quality. It's a fallacy to suppose that distance = objectivity while proximity = bias, but that assumption is more common than I'd like.

That said, given the way Jess has distorted legitimate critique, I also wouldn't be surprised if her supervisors had said something sensible about the need to maintain professional boundaries, and she twisted it into "You don't belong here". She seems to be very adversarial and combative in all areas of her life, so it's doubtful she would be any different as a student. I noticed a woman on Twitter got exasperated with her recently for posting a photo of a grotty alleyway as an illustration of where she grew up, when just a few metres away there is a much pleasanter view. This woman lives in the area and was resenting Jessica's insinuation that it's a dump. This seems to be a big part of Jessica's brand - "I overcame all these odds, look at me now" - so I suspect she probably has edited her PhD story to fit that narrative.

Reactions: 12
I think it's a bit dangerous the way she uses her background as a selling point, and always, always exceptionally vague.
There are female writers out there sharing their trauma stories and I stand in solidarity with them.

I would feel anxious standing in solidarity with jess cos honestly after following her for years I have no understanding of her trauma or back story.
She does share snippets very bluntly at times but using language like rape, police, guns, etc. But never any real clear story.

There is also not any space on line where her kids are being put at risk, imo.

Reactions: 8
It occurred to me that some of the related stuff could be embellished - e.g. not going to school and then turning up for GCSE’s - but that doesn’t negate the fact that she was abused.

Also, people’s understanding of issues around consent and grooming and what constitutes rape/abuse has evolved in recent years - e.g. the fact that a “relationship” is supposedly consensual doesn’t mean it’s not abusive.
However there are clearly many people whose understanding of these crimes hasn’t moved with the times.

For that reason, without knowing what was actually said, I would be wary of accepting whatever her mother may have said at face value.

Reactions: 11
That's true.

I'm just thinking in comparing Jess to other similar guru types, does Jess actually help people?
Is she providing affordable, compassionate and safe care for women and girls who have experienced trauma?

Is it all just tweet storms and claims of being a best seller and a leading feminist?

I don't think I would've got sucked in to following her if it wasn't for her repeated claims, usually at the beginning of her videos, that "after years of working with women and girls," or "in my experience counselling thousands of women and girls..."

Does she actually help women and girls?

Because looking now after all people have said, it looks like she just sells tit. Sells merchandise for profit.

I'd be willing to respect the hustle if she leaned it to the fact that she's an entrepreneur. But is she a support and safe person for vulnerable people?

Reactions: 14
She talks about her past employment of managing a mags court, DV shelter work etc which suggests she rose to the top of jobs at a young age and with (then) little qualifications.
Has anyone from her past places of work ever supported these claims or, conversely, called her out on them?

I don’t understand the pathways she must’ve taken to reach these senior positions in such a quick timeframe and with (as she states at the time) GCSEs as her highest qualification? I know if I’d been so successful I’d not hesitate to share all my advice to other women from similar backgrounds thus empowering them too?

Being the victim/survivor or rape and sexual abuse isn’t something to be ashamed of but I’m deeply uncomfortable with her very public proclamation of her child being the result of rape.
What damage will this do to a developing child? It’s not like this information has been disclosed in a private manner to the child?

I found it difficult enough being told details of my father’s abuse to my mother as an adult. My conception was probably by ‘marital’ rape.
The guilt and horrible feelings that I’ve had around this (as an adult with a fairly robust support system and privacy) has affected my life, outlook and behaviour.
I can’t imagine how terrible the same disclosure must be to a young child whose mother has made it public knowledge. If I’d gone into school and some head kid had bullied or even mentioned that I was a product of rape, backed up by public statements and evidence by my own mum ☹?

I don’t think I’d be here today.

Actually, the more I think about it the angrier I’m getting. We hear about abusive parents telling their children that ‘they weren’t wanted/should’ve been aborted/a mistake etc’.
Telling a CHILD that they’re the result of rape and making it a known fact in the national media is bleeping cruel.

I’m a survivor of rape and abuse and, without compromising my beliefs that VAWG victims should not be ashamed, I’d protect my children’s self-worth with my dying breath.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I honestly don’t think we can judge her for that choice. Women don’t make something like that public without good reason. I assume the child is aware and mature enough to know that that information is out there. Why should Jess or the child carry the shame of what someone else did?
I have asked Jess for help and been ignored. I find her self serving and have called her out for ignoring me and refusing to even engage with me, let alone help. Her treatment of Sally Anne is wrong. Absolutely wrong and she lied.
BUT judging the decisions she makes regarding speaking out about her abuse and her kids, is cruel. She may be doing it to safeguard him because the system sure as hell doesn’t.
Judge her work by all means, but please don’t judge how she deals with her own abuse. That really is uncalled for.

Reactions: 5
I don’t think it’s uncalled for. The whole point is that the abuse she’s talking about doesn’t only affect her, it also affects her child. She can publicly talk about things that only affect her however she likes, as far as I’m concerned, but there is no way of knowing how her talking about her child being the product of rape has affected said child, whether they were okay with it, even if they said they were okay with it were they old enough to really understand the implications of Jess making that public, etc etc. It doesn’t sit right with me either.

Reactions: 6
I honestly don’t think we can judge her for that choice. Women don’t make something like that public without good reason. I assume the child is aware and mature enough to know that that information is out there. Why should Jess or the child carry the shame of what someone else did?
I don’t think she does it with good intentions though. I think she does it to score points, and to win arguments, and to emphasise how “rags to riches” her backstory is… assuming it isn’t all heavily embellished anyway 👀

Reactions: 7
I have asked Jess for help and been ignored. I find her self serving and have called her out for ignoring me and refusing to even engage with me, let alone help. Her treatment of Sally Anne is wrong. Absolutely wrong and she lied.
BUT judging the decisions she makes regarding speaking out about her abuse and her kids, is cruel. She may be doing it to safeguard him because the system sure as hell doesn’t.
Judge her work by all means, but please don’t judge how she deals with her own abuse. That really is uncalled for.
Nobody is suggesting that she should feel ashamed though. The issue is whether it is acceptable for her to publicise the fact that her child was conceived as a consequence of rape and it absolutely is not OK. Its not just her information to share and saying that the child is mature enough is absurd. They are a child who is not developmentally capable of thinking through the implications of sharing such information publicly. The fact that she thinks this is okay is what first alerted me to her lack of boundaries in the first place. To know that you were conceived in a situation which was abusive and violent is potentially hugely traumatic and disturbing information. She had no right to share this information publicly. It's extremely fucked up IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Women don’t make something like that public without good reason.
She wrote a 'fictional' book about a 'beautiful and intelligent' girl called Taylor who experienced abuse and had a baby through rape. The synopsis makes it seem like very autobiographical.

I agree everyone should be allowed to deal with their trauma in their own way, but you have to consider how the actions affect other people who have also gone through that trauma ie her child.

Reactions: 7
She wrote a 'fictional' book about a 'beautiful and intelligent' girl called Taylor who experienced abuse and had a baby through rape. The synopsis makes it seem like very autobiographical.

I agree everyone should be allowed to deal with their trauma in their own way, but you have to consider how the actions affect other people who have also gone through that trauma ie her child.
The books name is Detoxing Taylor

I created an account specifically to share the good reads post but I can see I was beaten to it. I guess they changed the format so it wasn’t always so obvious who posted reviews. Absolutely hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It’s surprising to hear the story about her mum, as she posted several times on twitter about her mum and they seemed on very good terms. She posted about her mum reading and enjoying her first book.

They were fine until at least last year.

She also claims one of the England football squad is her first cousin. I’ve followed Jess for years and a friend started documenting her lies. They are endless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Oh wow, so is that book why she decided to change her surname to Taylor after her divorce? She must have a thing for that name.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.