Dr Jessica Taylor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her mum could easily share some of Jessica's 'interesting' personality traits. How do we know she's telling the truth either?
We don't. But, how many discrepancies can one person have? There are so many back stories that have been proven to be lies. There's a massive reason that our PHd supervisors tried to stop her from doing hers. She's a dangerous liar.

Reactions: 9
I also think we should take what Jess' Mum has said with a pinch of salt. There is definitely a generational discrepancy in how older people conceive of 'rape' and 'abuse', I think we have come a long way on both of those areas and I'm glad about that.

Reactions: 16
Yep. I'd already got my suspicions, her Mum just very publicly confirmed it. Why do you think her parents weren't at the wedding?
Her Dad was at the wedding, though.

This feels murky. Families often deny abuse, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

On the other hand, Jess lies about so much, so obviously and so publicly that I wouldn't put it past her. However that doesn't mean she is actually lying about this necessarily.

Also, it's possible that she was abused and is STILL lying by embellishing and adding to the story in a way that her mum would see as "vile lies".

I don't think we have enough information to know either way. It's so personal and abuse is so common, and women routinely aren't believed. Jess could be a victim of that or playing into it. I don't think we have any way of knowing?

Reactions: 11
We don't. But, how many discrepancies can one person have? There are so many back stories that have been proven to be lies. There's a massive reason that our PHd supervisors tried to stop her from doing hers. She's a dangerous liar.
Do you know anything about the detail? Was anything said publicly?

Jess claims it's that her face didn't fit as a working class mum, but I bet the supervisors would paint a very different picture!

I'm general, how often do supervisors actively try to stop someone getting a PhD? Is it quite a rare thing to happen?

I'd love to have a chat with those supervisors and hear their version of events.

Reactions: 2
The ‘supervisors tried to stop me getting my PhD’ I’m much less convinced of tbh. Supervisors have a vested interest in getting people through their PhDs, nobody wants a PhD student drop out on their record or that of the department etc. More likely they expressed concern about the work, maybe thought she wasn’t ready to submit for viva etc.

The ‘supervisors tried to stop me getting my PhD’ I’m much less convinced of tbh. Supervisors have a vested interest in getting people through their PhDs, nobody wants a PhD student drop out on their record or that of the department etc. More likely they expressed concern about the work, maybe thought she wasn’t ready to submit for viva etc.
One person in my cohort was compelled to leave. His supervisors thought he was unlikely to achieve the required standard no matter how much work he put in. When they told him this, he sent them death threats by email, and he was kicked out for doing that. But this is rare, as you say. It reflects badly on the supervisor and the department if a student doesn't complete. Some people are unlucky enough to have unsupportive supervisors, but most of the time we will bend over backwards to get a student through. Personally I would rather have a student of mine discontinue than a fail a viva and I would discourage them from going on if I thought there was no way they could ever pass, but thankfully that situation has not arisen. If Jess's supervisors genuinely did want her out, there must be more to the story than she's sharing.

Pathological liars so frequently lie about having experienced terrible things (like being sexually assaulted) for the exact reason that no one could possibly accuse them of making it up without looking like a monster.

I’m not saying Jess has lied about her past, but honestly, nothing would really surprise me about her.

Reactions: 6
She's too feminine and beautiful to be a lesbian 😂.

The ex-husband throws a spanner in the works somewhat too I'd imagine.

ETA: On a serious note, she says she commonly receives this commentary from lesbians and feminists. I was in a relationship with a woman for 7 years and while I did get some comments along those lines, they were almost exclusively from men. I find it highly unlikely that lesbians and feminists are critiquing her in the way this post suggests. It reads like typical Instagram clickbaity nonsense for engagement.

Attachments

Reactions: 6
She's not a stereotypical butch, but not all lesbians are butches, and Jess does have that "quirky queer woman online" aesthetic. I don't think most people would have trouble accepting her as a lesbian

It's not her appearance that makes people think she's pretending to be a lesbian; it's her behaviour.

Reactions: 11
Why does she feel the need to be so performative about everything? Her relationship, her sexuality, her opinions etc.

I didn’t come out till I was older than Jess and I’m not butch. I’ve never felt the need to plaster my relationships over social media and try to get people to tell me I’m too pretty/feminine to be a lesbian. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone else and I don’t need validation from a load of strangers. Seriously it’s something I’d expect from someone much younger.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Is there any proof of this? I would hesitate just to take Jess's mum's word for it even if she did say that, because unfortunately the family members of abuse victims do sometimes deny the abuse (perhaps because they can't bear the thought of that happening to their child, perhaps because they feel guilty about not noticing/stopping it). I've carried out research with abused teenagers and sadly some of their families were in very deep denial. For this reason I'm going to take Jess's backstory as true unless there is incontrovertible proof against it. She has lied about Sally Ann, been deceitful about her jobs and qualifications, etc. but that doesn't mean she lies about everything.
Totally agree. People like Jess are usually like it for a reason. And their families usually don’t validate them at all. Vicious cycle can be perpetuated sometimes.

Also I’ve met people that lie about things but I’ve never believed they were lying about childhood abuse.

Reactions: 1
You should head to the Jack Monroe threads to hear about all of her absolutely whopping lies about her life 😅

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.