Dr Jessica Taylor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mentioned a lot in the Gender Discussion thread......doesn't seem quite legit.

Reactions: 10
I don’t really know who she is but someone mentioned a similarity to Jack monroe so I’m here for it.

Reactions: 11
In relation to the comment someone made about her previous name, I had no idea about this and a simple search brings up this:

Interesting as we never seem to hear about the male charity anymore.

The stories coming out about her book are awful. She seems to have identified someone who was meant to be anonymous by passing on info through DMs to others. I think she's dangerous because there is nobody to complain to about her. She is not on the HCPC or BPS registers as a psychologist, and she is employed through the organisation she's set up for herself. She self publishes her work so there's no peer review not only of the work but the processes e.g. consent and data protection. Essentially then she is accountable to nobody.

Does anyone else think her relationship with Jaimi is odd too? They seem to have a very big age gap.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
In relation to the comment someone made about her previous name, I had no idea about this and a simple search brings up this:

Interesting as we never seem to hear about the male charity anymore.

The stories coming out about her book are awful. She seems to have identified someone who was meant to be anonymous by passing on info through DMs to others. I think she's dangerous because there is nobody to complain to about her. She is not on the HCPC or BPS registers as a psychologist, and she is employed through the organisation she's set up for herself. She self publishes her work so there's no peer review not only of the work but the processes e.g. consent and data protection. Essentially then she is accountable to nobody.

Does anyone else think her relationship with Jaimi is odd too? They seem to have a very big age gap.
The lack of accountability is really concerning. She holds herself up as an expert but she's relatively new to this area of work from what I can see. The lack of peer review is telling. Falling out with respected feminists like Julie Bindel is not a good look and the accusation of breaking survivors confidentiality is extremely worrying. WTAF. She still seems quite troubled herself to me and needs to step away for a while and stop being so obsessed with blowing her own trumpet and constant self promotion. She's also so arrogant and boastful! Her relationship seems slightly juvenile to me. I don't think that the age gap is necessarily that large, I just think that Jess looks quite a bit older than she actually is. I think she's only about 30 😬

I just found this link which has more about her background etc. Apparently she is 7 years older than Jaimi...: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/11130475/teen-mums-skint-hostel-raped-transformation/

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
I don’t think the age gap is that bad, she’s only 30 or 31. (born in 1990, iirc).

I find it weird that she calls herself a lesbian, she seems to have a long history of being with men. But if it was compulsory heterosexuality then fair enough.

I’ve gone off her since she said autism and bipolar aren’t real.

Btw, what’s the tea with Bindel? I must have missed it!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Ahh I thought Jess was about 35 and Jaimi about 21/22 🤣

Btw, what’s the tea with Bindel? I must have missed it!
She defended a friend, the woman who Jess is outing through DMs and accusing her of not understanding what trauma is - the lady in question has had a very hard life, victim of DV, shot by her ex and her son then took his own life. Jess' arrogance truly knows no bounds.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
This is quite interesting. Having read through a few things you have posted and a bit of background I am wondering if she had picked an ideological position which means she will get work/exposure for a point of view- for example saying bipolar isn’t real.
Basically I think she is pitching herself as a talking head for a particular view point which could be lucrative in the same way that many American ‘psychologist’ type figures do.

Her backstory is a strange one. I don’t think she has similarities with Jack Monroe particularly, but one thing they have in common is telling horrific tales about their youth that may be rather embellished but are too shocking for anyone to question without coming across as a monster.

I actually really liked Jessica from the time I started following her (when she was supposedly happily married to a man - but I believe she now says it was abusive?) when she wrote a fantastic blog about “whataboutery”, specifically “what about men?”

Since coming out as a lesbian she seems like a different person. Any veneer of respectability or academic rigour seems to be gone. She started coming out with some extremely sketchy “data” which even a layperson like me could see was twisted to fit her narrative. Now this latest book has come out and people are accusing her of using their stories without permission. Her only comeback is to say “If you think that story sounds like you, you’re mistaken”.

Reactions: 18
I can see two women who spoke to her about their experiences (just generally and not for the book) have been used as case studies or examples in her book. They have called her out on Twitter (supported by Bindel who is a genuine hero in my opinion) but she has said they’re mistaken and questioned their experience of trauma.
I’m sure I saw her tweet last week about getting work from the NHS.

• Wow
I was really alarmed by the study she put out via Victim Focus where the sample of participants was self-selecting and she then made generalised claims that something like 96% of women have experienced sexual assault. You can’t make that generalisation from a sample where you recruited using a tweet that says “please fill in this survey if you’re a women who’s experienced sexual violence” 🙄🙄🙄.

I do think the figure of women who in reality have experience sexual violence is horrifically high but her shouting about this figure gleaned from a dodgy methodology leaves statements about MVAW open to being discredited. I thought it was terribly short-sighted for the sector and mainly used to get her name out there and publicise her books.

Then when criticism was made she didn’t respond professionally at all, she went off on one about bullying and haters. The whole point of being an academic and researcher is defending your theories, methods and findings. If you can’t defend your work (and your misrepresentation of your findings) without crying bully then you’re not a very good academic. I think she’s utterly self-serving and the name Victim Focus is laughable when you consider that it’s basically The Jess Show*

*now with added Jaimi!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I do think Jess does a lot of good in terms of getting important messages into the public realm in a way that cuts through. But I do have concerns about that being undermined by her personal circus.

Reactions: 7
I was really alarmed by the study she put out via Victim Focus where the sample of participants was self-selecting and she then made generalised claims that something like 96% of women have experienced sexual assault. You can’t make that generalisation from a sample where you recruited using a tweet that says “please fill in this survey if you’re a women who’s experienced sexual violence” 🙄🙄🙄.
Ah, that was the one! I remember a really sketchy piece of data which attracted a ton of criticism, and that was the one. And she tried to defend it too.

I do think Jess does a lot of good in terms of getting important messages into the public realm in a way that cuts through. But I do have concerns about that being undermined by her personal circus.
I agree. Around the time of her first book, she was making TikToks aimed at younger woman around feminism and VAWG, and I thought they were really good. Now she seems to have abandoned that angle in favour of arguing that women diagnosed with personality disorders, autism and ADHD are misdiagnosed and it’s all due to trauma. I mean, I’d even agree that women get diagnosed with BPD when they are in fact autistic, but there’s seemingly very little nuance to what she’s saying. She’s hardcore anti-psychiatry and anti-medication.

• Heart
She does seem to have gone very Charlotte Proudman i.e. talking nonsense for likes and attention. I'm sure I've seen her talk about the importance of not pathologising male perpetrators of SV/DV before, but in this she seems to be suggesting otherwise?

She's also incredibly dismissive of women with BPD/other disorders she claims don't exist etc replying to her saying they feel medication works for them and they're glad to have the option. She was also saying something bizarre the other day about trauma and negative memories being the same...she just seems to have lost the plot tbh.

Reactions: 20
She does seem to have gone very Charlotte Proudman i.e. talking nonsense for likes and attention. I'm sure I've seen her talk about the importance of not pathologising male perpetrators of SV/DV before, but in this she seems to be suggesting otherwise?

She's also incredibly dismissive of women with BPD/other disorders she claims don't exist etc replying to her saying they feel medication works for them and they're glad to have the option. She was also saying something bizarre the other day about trauma and negative memories being the same...she just seems to have lost the plot tbh.

Seems like her legitimate success has gone to her head and now she's decided she knows best about everything trauma/mental-health related. Also bragging about how much she has made out of her books and work on sexual violence is so crass.

I don’t think the age gap is that bad, she’s only 30 or 31. (born in 1990, iirc).

I find it weird that she calls herself a lesbian, she seems to have a long history of being with men. But if it was compulsory heterosexuality then fair enough.
lol, it definitely was not 'compulsory heterosexuality'. She's not a lesbian. Dr Jess Taylor is a massive narcissist and pathological liar, both in her professional and personal life. She posted hundreds of tweets about how loving and wonderful her husband was. Then dumped him and ran off with Jaimi (who Jess met when Jaimi was ONLY SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!) and started claiming her husband was abusive. Let's not forget she started a Men's Mental Health charity in memory of her husband's father which was awarded over 700k in grants. She never used the money to open a day centre for mentally ill men like she claimed she would, and then left her husband and almost immediately got with Jaimi bought a 500k house with Jaimi. She's an absolute charlatan and nothing she says should be believed.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 38
lol, it definitely was not 'compulsory heterosexuality'. She's not a lesbian. Dr Jess Taylor is a massive narcissist and pathological liar, both in her professional and personal life. She posted hundreds of tweets about how loving and wonderful her husband was. Then dumped him and ran off with Jaimi (who Jess met when Jaimi was ONLY SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!) and started claiming her husband was abusive. Let's not forget she started a Men's Mental Health charity in memory of her husband's father which was awarded over 700k in grants. She never used the money to open a day centre for mentally ill men like she claimed she would, and then left her husband and almost immediately got with Jaimi bought a 500k house with Jaimi. She's an absolute charlatan and nothing she says should be believed.
Ahhhh I thought something felt off about them! That is so weird.

Reactions: 3
Really interesting to see this thread pop up. I've followed Jess for a while and liked her a lot at the beginning. Then, I heard her being interviewed by Jeremy Vine on Radio2 about her experiences of being mistreated by the police and started to think something was off. The story had no context and was all over the place. Did anyone else catch that? And as someone else said earlier, I totally went off her when she started denying autism is a real condition.

Sounds like you have been aware of her for some time. This is shocking stuff. How could she get away with the funding stuff? Surely she would have had to account for the money to the funding bodies? Can you say any more?

Reactions: 5
Just a small selection of some of the fantasist stories from Dr Jess the pathological liar include:

- Her son is apparently only able to see the colour blue
- She can write 15-20k words a day, to publishable standard (while sleeping 10-12 hours a day)
and perhaps the best one
- Jess has suffered many physical and mental ailments she suffered from throughout life, including allergies, anxiety, abnormal heart rhythm, a stroke, blindness, cervical cancer which led to the removal of her cervix, and having no period for many years. Luckily, leaving her husband and discovering her 'lebsianism' cured her of every single one of these problems! What a miracle!!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.