Dr Jessica Taylor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was a fellow uni student with Jessica. She was known then for doing nothing but lie.
Without a doubt, at times she's had a tough life. But in my view, that doesn't give her the right to lie and rip others apart as she does.

Having watched Jaimi for a while, I veer between thinking she's as full of herself as Jessica is, or that she's been groomed.

Sally Ann has my full support and belief.

Reactions: 13
I had no idea this woman had a thread!! I have so much catching up to do! Could someone please provide me with a tldr of some important things I should know to help me catch up? There's 30 pages to get through. 😅

I first heard of her (I think?) last year when her study was discussed on Mumsnet. I searched for her on twitter and was immediately put off by what I saw. Unbearably arrogant, unprofessional, hugely ideological. "What nonsense" I thought, clicked off and forgot all about her until now.

Reactions: 11
She got to Mumsnet, the thread there about her quickly turned into "you can't prove these baseless allegations", "you're just throwing mud and hoping it sticks", "if you run your mouth she will sue you." Well her fans won't be taking over here

Reactions: 6
I am very worried about SA.
As an academic myself I can guarantee you that SA is telling the truth! The way she is trying so hard to have her voice heard is not coming from a person who lies. SA has already experienced abuse I don’t think she would put herself back into that position. The way SA is fighting is literally screaming “PLEASE HELP ME” and she needs our help and support! I spoke with SA and she mentioned how afraid she is because of her huge following and clearly JT has more money for legal teams etc. The police was sent to SA and that made me sick to my stomach. I really hope we can support SA in any possible way and Rachel is doing a great job supporting her! But what worries me is SA safety, I’m afraid about her mental health and safety in general!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I had no idea this woman had a thread!! I have so much catching up to do! Could someone please provide me with a tldr of some important things I should know to help me catch up? There's 30 pages to get through. 😅

I first heard of her (I think?) last year when her study was discussed on Mumsnet. I searched for her on twitter and was immediately put off by what I saw. Unbearably arrogant, unprofessional, hugely ideological. "What nonsense" I thought, clicked off and forgot all about her until now.
In a nutshell:

1. She is not qualified in any kind of therapy, but she deliberately gives the impression that she is clinically trained and has provided direct therapeutic care to survivors of sexual violence. She plays on the fact that the general public doesn't understand the difference between a psychology PhD (intensive research in a specific narrow niche, e.g. the impact of advertising on body image) and a doctorate in clinical psychology (NHS-based training with a heavy taught component that includes six-month rotations across different mental health and learning disability services). As a result, her opinions on autism, bipolar disorder, and trauma therapy are no more informed than those of the average person on the street, but she sets herself up as an expert in the knowledge that most people will hear 'psychologist' and assume she actually has a background in these things.

2. Her books were published without peer review and contain a lot of unevidenced and factually incorrect ranting, but she uses her PhD to suggest that it's all research-driven. If an academic criticises her, they're elitists who can't bear to see a working-class mum being successful. If someone outside academia criticises her, they don't have the expertise to know what they're talking about.

3. She used some survivors' stories in her books without proper informed consent and then lied about it repeatedly, changing her story multiple times when the survivors provided screenshots of the evidence. She sent the police round to one woman's home to try and intimidate her into silence. Meanwhile her wife Jaimi decided to send the survivor in question a manipulative guilt-tripping message (because nothing says professionalism quite like doing that).

4. A few former employees have disclosed in confidence that her company feels like a cult and they were expected to be on hand 24/7 to argue with anyone who dares to criticise her on social media. They also report that the company functions like a pyramid scheme.

In other words, she's a grifter.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
In a nutshell:

1. She is not qualified in any kind of therapy, but she deliberately gives the impression that she is clinically trained and has provided direct therapeutic care to survivors of sexual violence. She plays on the fact that the general public doesn't understand the difference between a psychology PhD (intensive research in a specific narrow niche, e.g. the impact of advertising on body image) and a doctorate in clinical psychology (NHS-based training with a heavy taught component that includes six-month rotations across different mental health and learning disability services). As a result, her opinions on autism, bipolar disorder, and trauma therapy are no more informed than those of the average person on the street, but she sets herself up as an expert in the knowledge that most people will hear 'psychologist' and assume she actually has a background in these things.

2. Her books were published without peer review and contain a lot of unevidenced and factually incorrect ranting, but she uses her PhD to suggest that it's all research-driven. If an academic criticises her, they're elitists who can't bear to see a working-class mum being successful. If someone outside academia criticises her, they don't have the expertise to know what they're talking about.

3. She used some survivors' stories in her books without proper informed consent and then lied about it repeatedly, changing her story multiple times when the survivors provided screenshots of the evidence. She sent the police round to one woman's home to try and intimidate her into silence. Meanwhile her wife Jaimi decided to send the survivor in question a manipulative guilt-tripping message (because nothing says professionalism quite like doing that).

4. A few former employees have disclosed in confidence that her company feels like a cult and they were expected to be on hand 24/7 to argue with anyone who dares to criticise her on social media. They also report that the company functions like a pyramid scheme.

In other words, she's a grifter.
5. She says that personality disorders don't exist, and that autism is heavily over-diagnosed in women as it is a convenient label to excuse away women's trauma. These claims are at odds with most professionals working in autism, and Jess cannot offer any credible evidence to support it. She has also repeatedly promoted anti-psychiatry and anti-medication views despite having no expertise whatsoever in these fields.

6. Jess encourages vulnerable women and survivors to work for her unpaid, while she and her family likely claim at least £100,000 a year from her company. (She employs both her wife and mother-in-law so it adds up, even if they take fairly modest salaries.) She gave Jaimi senior roles at two different companies, even though Jaimi doesn't have a relevant educational or professional background that would qualify her for these positions.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am very worried about SA.
As an academic myself I can guarantee you that SA is telling the truth! The way she is trying so hard to have her voice heard is not coming from a person who lies. SA has already experienced abuse I don’t think she would put herself back into that position. The way SA is fighting is literally screaming “PLEASE HELP ME” and she needs our help and support! I spoke with SA and she mentioned how afraid she is because of her huge following and clearly JT has more money for legal teams etc. The police was sent to SA and that made me sick to my stomach. I really hope we can support SA in any possible way and Rachel is doing a great job supporting her! But what worries me is SA safety, I’m afraid about her mental health and safety in general!
I agree.

I phoned for advice today over my concerns for Sally-Ann, Someone from social care was extremely concerned for Sally-Ann’s safety and welfare by the abuse Sally-Ann is facing and will pass it on to her local authority. I suggest to give it more weight many of us should report this too to help Sally-Ann be projected from Jessica. She’s already shown threat and manipulative tactics and also disclosed personal information about Sally-Ann knowing she’s a victim of abuse, god knows what she’s capable of

as acedemics and professionals we need to stand up against this behaviour and help Sally-Ann as I’m certain she won’t be the only one

Her behaviour over this is classic of someone who is desperate to be heard and believed. For Jessica to make her out to be obsessive is sickening. Jessica is just retraumatising Sally-Ann by her behaviour.

Reactions: 7
I wonder if she thinks feminists should be supporting her publicly? She seems to have become distanced from a lot of the bigger names. She used to be very strongly gender critical until her first book came out. Jameela Jamil noticed it and said on Twitter that she was going to read it then recanted when trans activists told her Jess was gender critical, a terf etc.

I don’t think I’ve seen her post anything gender critical since then. She seems to have realised there was a market for dramatic, self-aggrandising posturing about mental health. Things that sound true even if they don’t hold up to much scrutiny.

Reactions: 6
She's in such a blurry position. She wants to be applauded for her public statements on women's rights and feminism, when in private she doesn't care or help women at all, quite the opposite.
Jameela Jamil isn't perfect but she tries use her platform to be present with women who are struggling with body image, which I respect.

I think feminists see through her. She's the one claiming ad nauseum to be a campaigner, best selling author and powerful voice, it's not really women stepping up saying she helped the,. Unfortunately, many people with first hand experience appear to have shared feeling scared of her and manipulated.

Women, and particularly abuse survivors, can spot something off.

I felt following her was just adopting a new authority figure to replace past narcs who wanted to use me for supply.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
She's in such a blurry position. She wants to be applauded for her public statements on women's rights and feminism, when in private she doesn't care or help women at all, quite the opposite.
Jameela Jamil isn't perfect but she tries use her platform to be present with women who are struggling with body image, which I respect.

I think feminists see through her. She's the one claiming ad nauseum to be a campaigner, best selling author and powerful voice, it's not really women stepping up saying she helped the,. Unfortunately, many people with first hand experience appear to have shared feeling scared of her and manipulated.

Women, and particularly abuse survivors, can spot something off.

I felt following her was just adopting a new authority figure to replace past narcs who wanted to use me for supply.
See this is what people say here but if you go on her social media the majority of commentators are still applauding her. On Twitter as on here it’s a small group of people calling her out.

It gives me strong cult-leader vibes as her behaviour towards SA is there for all to see - if people can defend this you wonder if there is anything she could do that they wouldn’t defend. It suggests brainwashing/grooming to me but I guess it’s important to remember there are a silent majority who are watching all this play out.

It’s complicated though as I don’t doubt that some women have found her helpful and I wouldn’t want to invalidate their experience either.

Reactions: 7
She's got ppl on twitter defending her vehemently, almost no push back. I guess ppl are scared.

I think that her deleted "proof" was fairly cunning. I read it. It was extremely toxic and uncomfortable to read. But there apprsr to be no screenshots. So she's saying she posted proof that she "did nothing wrong,"

The thread that disappeared showed me she did a fair bit wrong. Her messages showed that she is very flippant and unprofessional about consent. She also kinda pressured SA into consenting, imo, and all was done over email very casually. As SA wrote, Jess doesn't know her last name.

If someone put me and my story in a book, they should validate who I am, and have a phone call or discussion about consent, show me basic courtesy, it's easy to pressure a fan over email.

Last edited:
See this is what people say here but if you go on her social media the majority of commentators are still applauding her. On Twitter as on here it’s a small group of people calling her out.

It gives me strong cult-leader vibes as her behaviour towards SA is there for all to see - if people can defend this you wonder if there is anything she could do that they wouldn't defend.
I just had a look at the institutional library database to see which universities and scholarly organisations, if any, are carrying Jess's books. The answer is virtually none. Only the British Library, Trinity College Dublin, and the National Library of Wales are listed as having them - and these are legal deposit libraries, which means that every UK and Irish publisher is required to lodge a copy of every book they publish with them. What this tells us is that no one in any university department has chosen to use her books for teaching or even got their library to buy them. She has social media fans, yes, because she's very good at grandstanding and persuading people who know nothing about clinical or academic psychology that she's an expert. But actually in the field? Assuming people have even heard of her work, it's not well-regarded or taken seriously. Why Women are Blamed for Everything reads exactly like an unrevised PhD dissertation, because that's what it is. I recognised it as such right away, and I would have known even if I hadn't seen the actual thesis - there are so many giveaways. Sexy but Psycho isn't research/evidence-based at all. It's one woman's rantathon, and if that's what you want to read, you might as well just browse social media. When I was getting anxious or perfectionistic about my own research my supervisors told me that my PhD should be my weakest work - it's the starting point, not the finish line, and you're meant to move on from there. Jess has gone backwards in every respect. She might brag to her fans that she's some sort of field-changing expert, but the field is paying her little to no attention. She might kid herself that it's because she's just too amazingly radical and original for us poor moribund academics to cope with, but the simple reality is that thousands of psychology PhDs are written every year and most are not special enough to stand out.

I think it's unlikely most people defending her online know what Sally Ann has said. The sympathetic responses almost all vague tweets about bullying. There are a handful of people who do know what she's said and are choosing to write her off as "obsessed", and I suspect that's because they struggle to believe that a practitioner psychologist who produces world-leading research (because this is what they think Jess is) would behave as Sally Ann is claiming. Jessica's bluster about "lawyer-checked consent forms" and her little habit of calling the police out will satisfy some people. They will assume that she must be in the right if she's had legal advice and phoned the police. Her act is very convincing. Then there are a few others who are invested in the idea of themselves as radicals with special unique insight into psychology and patriarchy, and supporting Jess maybe gives them the feeling that they belong to a beleaguered but elite club. Admitting they were wrong about her would involve losing their sense of specialness.

The bottom line is that while there is a lot of noise and hype generated by Jess, it doesn't actually translate into any meaningful influence or involvement in the field. I doubt she cares about that providing enough people believe she's an expert - the fact that she can't stay off social media for five seconds and is always looking for a platform where people are less critical is testanent to that. She's all show.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I was disappointed by her book, it was badly written.
I like her tiktoks as they convey deep ideas succinctly.

I don't think she would be a safe person to trust with personal info.
I also think her recent post about websites making her family unsafe was taken at face value by her followers. That's sad.

I read the mumsnet thread and it was super innocent and no mention of her kids at all, one mention of Jaimi related to her social media behaviour. Her full name wasn't stated.

All this is quite sad because we want to trust public feminists.

I was disappointed by her book, it was badly written.
I like her tiktoks as they convey deep ideas succinctly.

I don't think she would be a safe person to trust with personal info.
I also think her recent post about websites making her family unsafe was taken at face value by her followers. That's sad.

I read the mumsnet thread and it was super innocent and no mention of her kids at all, one mention of Jaimi related to her social media behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I should also add that Jessica is non contact with her own Mother after her Mother publicly said that Jessica was never in abusive relationships or raped, and that the entire public social media background was vile lies.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
I don't know what jess's story is but there's always a vagueness to the snippets she gives.
That is really interesting about her mom.

Reactions: 4
I should also add that Jessica is non contact with her own Mother after her Mother publicly said that Jessica was never in abusive relationships or raped, and that the entire public social media background was vile lies.
no way????😳😳😳

Reactions: 1
Is there any proof of this? I would hesitate just to take Jess's mum's word for it even if she did say that, because unfortunately the family members of abuse victims do sometimes deny the abuse (perhaps because they can't bear the thought of that happening to their child, perhaps because they feel guilty about not noticing/stopping it). I've carried out research with abused teenagers and sadly some of their families were in very deep denial. For this reason I'm going to take Jess's backstory as true unless there is incontrovertible proof against it. She has lied about Sally Ann, been deceitful about her jobs and qualifications, etc. but that doesn't mean she lies about everything.

Reactions: 22
Her mum could easily share some of Jessica's 'interesting' personality traits. How do we know she's telling the truth either?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.