Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MotherofDragons

Anyone else love him? I think he is a great advocate for the NHS and a good role model for younger people.

Just seen that he’s split with his girlfriend which I’m not surprised at they’ve been apart for so long over lockdown.

• Wow
Reactions: 39

sassmaster3000

Chatty Member
I have friends who’ve worked with him and apparently the general consensus is that he’s a bit of a prick and full of himself...but I guess you have to be a bit like that if you’re going on love island.
He seems to have done well for himself and got what he wanted (TV doctor personality), so well done to him!

• Haha
Reactions: 37

Giraffee95

Chatty Member
Tbh theres nothing wrong with looking for sex, that doesn't make you a creep. Its quite normal to try and go beyond kissing if someone comes back to your house. They were only on their 4th date its hardly a girlfriend. And it doesn't really look like he slid into the other girls DMs, she messaged him first! Its hardly creepy, he was polite and kind when she turned him down. I think its a bit disingenuous for her to present that as him sliding into her DMs

Reactions: 32

SummerLeaves2004

Unpopular opinion here...

I can't stand this guy.

He's smarmy, self indulgent and fame hungry. Plays the 'good doctor' card and uses to the NHS in his quest for self promotion.

He's as insincere as they come.

Reactions: 26

Ceecee3

I agree. He’s not a mental health professional and the idea that “getting out for a stomp” can solve all issues is a bit simplistic and generalising. Yes I agree getting outside if you are feeling a bit fed up can work wonders but if you haven’t got up or washed in a week it can seem insurmountable. I think he’s trying to do good bless him and any awareness he raises is only a good thing, but I could think of better people as mental health ambassador. I don’t actually dislike hi
I work in mental health, I'm a psychologist and you're bang on the money. Alex doesn't seem to understand the politics affecting MH services at the moment. If your mental health is bad but getting out for a stomp will help you - guess what, most services are geared up and funded enough to offer you therapy as you're considered someone with short-term mental health issues. This is what we have the biggest funding in the UK for.
If you're someone in more distress, as you said - not even washed or had self care motivation, and have longer term problems, MH services are scarce and quick to offer advice like 'go for a walk, make a cup of tea' which patients who've struggled with depression or severe disorders for years find insulting and just want real help which is more intensive and longer term psychotherapeutic input.

Mental health is where the money is at moment it seems.
Yup you're right but only for influencers and big brands who want to put up billboards with a catchy slogan. Not for us NHS psychologists or our patients. Can you imagine how infuriating it is for our patients to see someone like Alex, a med doctor with very little MH training or knowledge of the MH system on national Tv saying things like just go for a walk etc. I know he's been more nuanced then that but it's still ignorant at best and offensive at worst.

BTW I quoted 2 people here and have had a bit of a rant but want to apologise if it seems like I'm ranting at either of you - I'm not! I'm just fatigued from supporting seriously mentally ill people during this pandemic who can't get the help they need whilst being bombarded with well meaning hashtags that cater more for common depression/anxiety symptoms, not severe illness - and Alex is again catering to that overcrowded market.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Sunshine&clouds

VIP Member
I am more put off by the sharing of these messages. What's the point to it? All he did was essentially get in touch, just as someone would if you were out with your friends in a bar. I really can't see the issue with a polite testing out of the water. Likewise wanting to go further than kissing. He backed off on both occasions and I just think it's really cheap to post about it.

Reactions: 25

Gingercream

VIP Member
i don't work in medicine... but after this situation I imagine lots of doctors will be. So many A and E workers are now being treated for PTSD, I understand wanting to move away from this
I’m a GP. I’ve never been so stressed in my life as I have through the pandemic. We deal with 90% of patient contacts yet have 10% of the budget of the NHS as a whole and we’re constantly vilified in the press. I’m ready to leave medicine tbh, and my colleagues are in droves which means the remaining docs are more thinly spread and yet more stressed 😩

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Swipeupyouguys

VIP Member
He is monetising mental health - how can that not leave a bad taste.

He is in this for himself, and himself alone. I believed he was after an easy (comparatively) lucrative career as a telly doctor as soon as he was revealed as a medical doctor on Love Island. If he was simply trying to improve mental health on the national health he wouldn't be doing the other stuff, the influencer ads, the comped holidays and experiences the begging for freebies for expensive things that other medics and mental health professionals pay for themselves from their salary, selling his bath bombs (is he angling for a spot of the apprentice?) and sliding into 19 / 20 year old women's DM's. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Loosing a family member, and such a young one is absolutely heart wrenching, but it is not a free pass in life to act as he does using people (his auidence, vulnerable people suffering with their own mental health, his ex, random women etc) and it doesn't suddenly make him a good guy. He is who he is.

Reactions: 23

SummerLeaves2004

If he’s agenda stops one young person from dying by suicide, then I’m all for his agenda
Hardly the barometer. I don't think anyone would begrudge anyone from receiving help in respect of mental health difficulties or suicidal ideation.

The difficulty I have with Alex George is that EVERYTHING comes back to him.
Every post is self congratulating. I struggle with the latest post about his dear late brother - as it is about Alex graduating and his brother being so proud of him. Why do Alex's achievements have to come into it? Why did Alex mention his brother following in his footsteps? I personally think this is incredibly crass and I think it is fairly obvious why.

That is one example of many. I don't doubt for one second that he is absolutely devastated, however I think he is constantly virtue signalling whilst playing the NHS hero card.

He entered Love Island in a quest for fame. He was a massive flop on the show, so he had to change his niche in order to remain relevant.

Therefore he plays on the doctor persona. I think he is as fame hungry as they come and what I dislike most is that fact he hides behind the guise of being a doctor in order to appear more wholesome and worthy than his influencer counterparts.

He is as self-righteous as they come.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22

afterthestormagain

I just think it's f**ked up how he's essentially using his brother's passing to make money from. I'm pretty sure just 'taking a walk' or 'having a bath' won't help the majority of mental health issues. It's literally like telling someone with a broken leg to 'just walk' without any proper personalised support, yet here he is making money from it! Unbelievable. It's an insult to the mental health professionals who have had to study for years and work for years in mental health settings, who will most likely know that just a walk, posting your pill, or having a bath, will definitely not do enough or even make a dent in the complexities of mental health support that's needed in order to make a difference. Those are just temporary solutions that don't tackle the root of the problem. I feel like the reason why he probably doesn't go into depth with mental health issues is because he himself isn't well read on it or experienced enough to say such things with conviction, which just makes it more messed up that he's earning a tonne of money from it whereas actual mental health professionals are most likely earning much more less for what they do. It would just seem more authentic if he wasn't benefiting from it financially and was still working as a doctor. His intentions are completely skewed.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I can’t get behind shaming others for wanting to have no strings sex, male or female. I also think he was polite and not pushy. If you’d seen some of the messages I received from blokes and what some of them expected after meeting at 2pm for a coffee these make him look like a saint.

Reactions: 20

MsGilmore

VIP Member
Alex's role is useless. We don't need mental health awareness, we need access to treatment! His role is just a way for the government to look like they are doing something, but doesn't cut the waiting lists for therapy because there has been no investment in NHS mental health services. Instagram posts and documentaries don't help those in need of help,

• Heart
  • Angry

Giraffee95

Chatty Member
I think tbh he looks like he is really struggling with his mental health and is obsessively stomping and having baths so he doesn't have to process his brothers death.

I think if your poor mental health is cured by some stomps and a cup of tea great, but you don't really need to use mental health resources. I'm not a mental health professional but its so simplistic to say some self care is what people with significant mental health problems need.

This is what I always find with TV doctors, Alex is an A&E dr. I'm sure he is an expert on treating someone who's having Mn MI, or elderly who've had a fall, or acute trauma. But he wouldn't be qualified to talk about say cardiac surgery. So why do TV doctors feel they are qualified to talk about mental health? When they are not mental health professionals

Sven

VIP Member
I think he’s brilliant. Using his ‘fame’ for some kind of good. Can’t say that about many of the other love island lot.

I came here as I saw the cheating stuff but just wanted to comment, I am a mental health nurse and this guy has no clue on the realities of mental health services. The stuff he promotes is very basic and shows he has never actually done a shift working on a psych ward etc. It really grates on me lol

Reactions: 19
He was always a creep. One of the girls he met up with from tinder before going on love island 2018 exposed him for only wanting to meet up for sex. BTW he previously admitted he got on the show after the love island producers spotted him on a dating app & invited him for a audition interview. View attachment 587111View attachment 587114
To be fair to him I think that’s what the majority of people on Tinder are looking to do 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19