Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love what I do but hate the company I do it for. I definitely don’t do a minimum wage job, but I’ve been on minimum wage for 6 years. I’m the one in the company everyone comes to for help with the job including my boss yet I’m the only one on minimum wage. Someone who constantly asks me how to do his job is on over double what I am. I’ve tried speaking to my boss and got some bs about how wages are based on experience… What’s my 6 years then?

• Angry
Reactions: 9
I don't mind my job but hate it at the moment.

I was taken on in a basic role but it was known I would be trained as something else eventually. I was happy as this training is really competitive to get.

Anyway the company I work for was forced to merge which means my manager and his are no longer able to make a decision to give me this training.

That's not their fault, but the irritating thing is that I'm doing more work than my actual job description to try and show the new company that I should be given this training, for tit pay, but also having to do other stuff that's below my job description to cover other people.

On top of this the environment has completely changed with people being so negative constantly it's starting to get to me.

My manager has been trying to push this training with the new company but has gotten nowhere. I got so irritated that I applied for other basic jobs at my level elsewhere, which my manager got wind of. We had a chat and I agreed to hold off on the job search but now wish I hadn't declined interviews I'd been offered.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My frustrations continue.
So things were agreed less than a month ago but now ignored so now 2 people are under pressure. Do the Company care? Pretty obviously not.
Might be time to talk louder I think 🤬

Reactions: 1
Another difficult day at the care home today. A few annoyances along the way. My mood was not helped by one of the housekeepers, she criticised me for leaving the laundry door unlocked for 5 minutes, whilst I did other things. She and another member of staff were standing a few feet away on the other side of the door, so they would have seen anybody wandering into the laundry.
I managed to avoid the occasionly hostile, frequently unfriendly carer for most of the day. That is until she knocked on the laundry door, and wanted to come in for something. She said she didn't remember my name. Bullshit.
Anyway, I am developing a coping stratergy to deal with some of the twonks, I have to work with. I have given them new names, to suit their personalities.
The authoritarian housekeeper is now known as Atilla the Hun. She is as rough as a badger's behind, with the sensitivity of a sledgehammer.
Unfriendly carer is Miss Piggy - or Maureen as I have decided to name her (not to her face obviously!)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I am starting looking at new jobs. I hate the job applications that make you answer loads of questions. I feel like its such a waste as I you can guarantee you won't hear anything back :( I spent two hours one application to be told my CV won't be reviewed.

I am so sick of my job , I have not had a raise in four years and the mangers expect us to to above and beyond for them .

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I could do with some advice regarding the job I am in at the moment. I have posted a few times, about the difficulties that I've been having in this job. The thing is, I was given two copies of a contract of employment to sign, a few weeks ago. I have been working there since November.
As yet, I have not signed and returned the contract, because of the reservations I have about the working environment. I am not legally minded, and am unsure about some of the wording in the contract. I don't really know anyone who could advise me.

I could do with some advice regarding the job I am in at the moment. I have posted a few times, about the difficulties that I've been having in this job. The thing is, I was given two copies of a contract of employment to sign, a few weeks ago. I have been working there since November.
As yet, I have not signed and returned the contract, because of the reservations I have about the working environment. I am not legally minded, and am unsure about some of the wording in the contract. I don't really know anyone who could advise me.
You are best to email the HR department and ask for explanations of the words or sentences etc. Then you have it in writing. Plus if still feeling unsure then you can state this again and say not happy with this and that best to get it sorted now.
Other than that Citzens advice might be able to explain plus of course Google it might help.
Good luck

Reactions: 2
Was so glad of the bank holiday today, really needed the day off. Am finding it more difficult to be upbeat about work. There is just no let up, we are slammed from the minute we go into work untill the minute we leave. I know Im paid to do a job but we are understaffed and its not going to change anytime soon. The thing is we are so busy with clients that there is no time to do any of the other tasks that need to be done so feeling like I am forever chasing my tail. I can do more hours as I only work PT and honestly Id like to do more house and earn a little more money but I dont think the trade of is worth it, the money isn't enough to justify the pressure and stress.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve had a few days off and it’s my first day back tomorrow. My chest has felt tight and I’ve been crying on and off all afternoon - I can’t face it, sounds so dramatic but I feel like my life is over, I’m not myself at all when I’m in work 😞 I’d give anything to be financially stable enough to resign and do something I enjoy/less stressful instead. I feel so trapped and alone, when I say how I feel to other people they all agree and say “yeah I hate work too”.. but is it normal to feel like this? Sometimes when I’m driving in I think about how easy it would be to crash my car so I don’t have to face the stress of work for a while - surely that’s not normal?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Definitely ask about the things you are unsure of as in my previous job I was asked to ring ACAS by my employer and ask what happened if someone didn't sign and return their contract, ACAS said by not returning their contract with any questions or objections to it the employee is essentially agreeing to the terms. They did tell me the specific time frame but I can't remember as it was a couple of years ago.

Definitely ask about the things you are unsure of as in my previous job I was asked to ring ACAS by my employer and ask what happened if someone didn't sign and return their contract, ACAS said by not returning their contract with any questions or objections to it the employee is essentially agreeing to the terms. They did tell me the specific time frame but I can't remember as it was a couple of years ago.
That sounds horrific, I will definetely seek advice. Thanks to you, and Red hair dont care. :)

I’ve had a few days off and it’s my first day back tomorrow. My chest has felt tight and I’ve been crying on and off all afternoon - I can’t face it, sounds so dramatic but I feel like my life is over, I’m not myself at all when I’m in work 😞 I’d give anything to be financially stable enough to resign and do something I enjoy/less stressful instead. I feel so trapped and alone, when I say how I feel to other people they all agree and say “yeah I hate work too”.. but is it normal to feel like this? Sometimes when I’m driving in I think about how easy it would be to crash my car so I don’t have to face the stress of work for a while - surely that’s not normal?
I know exactly how you feel 😞 I’ve done the same job for 10 years but moved companies last year and the place is a joke. Sunday nights I would have panic attacks as I’m doing the workload of two and I can’t get everything done. The turnover of staff is insane. I started thinking that I wish something would happen to me so I could not be there for a while as I could feel myself breaking down. I’m so confident and happy in general life but I feel shaky and panicky like I’m about to have a breakdown at work. I told my boyfriend and luckily he has supported me to just leave and we will just figure it out somehow if I can’t get another job quick. I realise I’m lucky to be able to do that though (I think he’s just fed up of me crying after work all the time tbf 🙈). It’s so bad that even though I know I’m leaving I’m still lying here awake panicking about tomorrow’s workload 😥

Keep looking for another job.. something might come up when you least expect it! Even write up your notice, you don’t have to hand it in yet but it’s a little milestone you can tick off toward eventually leaving, and start putting away some fall back money if you can, no matter how small.

Thinking of you ❤

Thinking of submitting a request for compressed hours but not sure if that'll make me hate my job even more. Does anyone have any advice? Or experience of working compressed hours?

Last edited:
So we’re all vastly under-resourced, everything’s going wrong, management are always Busy (capital B), people are going off sick with burnout left, right and centre… and my boss emails us this evening to tell us that we need to colour code our calendars. Not two colours, more rainbow. His isn’t colour coded and never was. I doubt he even looks at anyone else’s because Busy. Now sorry if I’m being tetchy, but this seems ridiculous, no? Also, we need someone new on the team and money is no object from what I can glean, but my raise is dust in the wind…

• Heart
Reactions: 2
So we’re all vastly under-resourced, everything’s going wrong, management are always Busy (capital B), people are going off sick with burnout left, right and centre… and my boss emails us this evening to tell us that we need to colour code our calendars. Not two colours, more rainbow. His isn’t colour coded and never was. I doubt he even looks at anyone else’s because Busy. Now sorry if I’m being tetchy, but this seems ridiculous, no? Also, we need someone new on the team and money is no object from what I can glean, but my raise is dust in the wind…
Sounds exactly like the place I just handed my notice in at 🙈 Management have their head in the sand about it. Just today I had to look at an old colleagues inbox to look into the history of something. Stumbled across an email from September 2019 she raised that herself and everyone is burnt out. Since I started just after, in a small company, 1 or 2 people on average hand their notice in per month. But the company can’t see that the workload is the problem 🤦🏼‍♀️ If you say I need help as I’m not getting everything done they don’t help, just say everyone is busy! I did 60 hours per week and got paid for 40 for 18 months now. When I said I wanted to just do my hours with occasional overtime where needed they started being crappy to me so I retaliated with leaving 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Sounds exactly like the place I just handed my notice in at 🙈 Management have their head in the sand about it. Just today I had to look at an old colleagues inbox to look into the history of something. Stumbled across an email from September 2019 she raised that herself and everyone is burnt out. Since I started just after, in a small company, 1 or 2 people on average hand their notice in per month. But the company can’t see that the workload is the problem 🤦🏼‍♀️ If you say I need help as I’m not getting everything done they don’t help, just say everyone is busy! I did 60 hours per week and got paid for 40 for 18 months now. When I said I wanted to just do my hours with occasional overtime where needed they started being crappy to me so I retaliated with leaving 🤷🏼‍♀️
Good for you! I love hearing people escape toxic workplaces ❤ What kind of place did you work at? It seems a few middle management folk here are really making life hell for a lot of people and then are all *shocked face* when morale is low and people are leaving. I am so drained but going to have to muster the energy to start applying.

Reactions: 8
Good for you! I love hearing people escape toxic workplaces ❤ What kind of place did you work at? It seems a few middle management folk here are really making life hell for a lot of people and then are all *shocked face* when morale is low and people are leaving. I am so drained but going to have to muster the energy to start applying.
I’ve been working in finance. And like the greedy people they are they are too tight to hire more people. Then end up having to make goodwill payments when stuff goes wrong.. the figure this month alone has been insane.. but cant see that would be cut out if you had enough staff to get everything done so things don’t go wrong 🤦🏼‍♀️ I won’t even get an exit interview because they don’t want to hear it!

Ah I know the feeling of being too drained to apply ❤ Just take small steps like applying for one every now and then and at least your going in the right direction but not putting anymore pressure on yourself throwing yourself into it!

• Heart
Good news is that ive been offered another role which i am very excited about but now very anxious about handing in notice as i'm still working from home and currently only have twice monthly check ins with manager. I have to give four weeks notice by my contract however i got the job offer last week verbally and nothing in writing until today and i did not want to hand in notice until i had something written. I am still sitting on around 80% of my leave allowance which is due to expire at end of August, so does anyone have experience with shorter notice period been granted due to spare leave? Or would i be best to apologize to new employer saying i have to give a longer week notice?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.