Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you!
Also say you are happy to go in if there is a team meeting or client meeting, happy to collaborate, although most meeting can be done with just an email lol but don't tell them that

Reactions: 1
My manager said I need to work my notice period and I'll just be paid for the holidays that are owed to me. I think I'm owed approx 18-20 days so that's probably why she's not keen on me taking them all but I really don't want to work my full notice period. She said I can book some holidays if I want to but there's barley any allowance in July and I have to give 2 weeks notice for the system to approve it. She's one of the reasons why I'm leaving the role so I don't feel like I can speak to her about this because it's her way or the highway. I just feel so unhappy about it all.

My manager said I need to work my notice period and I'll just be paid for the holidays that are owed to me. I think I'm owed approx 18-20 days so that's probably why she's not keen on me taking them all but I really don't want to work my full notice period. She said I can book some holidays if I want to but there's barley any allowance in July and I have to give 2 weeks notice. She's one of the reasons why I'm leaving the role so I don't feel like I can speak to her about this because it's her way or the highway.
😐 there is nothing much you can do since it is said in your contract. But the good side is that you will be getting 18-20 days worth of holiday money, you can use it to go on a proper holiday once you can travel. My advice is to ask HR to calculate how many days of AL you have, how much will you be paid for each holiday day and have it written down so it is clear. If you are working from home, then just treat this 18-20days as holiday, do the bare minimal so you don’t get told off but not to F up that you won’t get any references

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I posted a few weeks ago about how I don’t hate my job but I hate the client I work for.
A new role came up internally at another client (someone I worked with before in a previous job so I know they aren’t so immoral) and I got it! Just got 3 weeks to go and I get to move onwards and upwards!
The irony is - since I accepted the new role I have been contacted by 3 recruiters about other roles. Typical 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think I’ve reached my limits with dealing with the public. Was chatting to my colleague during the week and she said the same. When you have to work with the public you get to a stage where your sick of the sight of them. I’m there. It’s exhausting, thankless and frustrating

Reactions: 16
I think I’ve reached my limits with dealing with the public. Was chatting to my colleague during the week and she said the same. When you have to work with the public you get to a stage where your sick of the sight of them. I’m there. It’s exhausting, thankless and frustrating
This is kind of the stage I'm at too. I work in hospitality and alongside my employer just being completley rubbish, unsupportive, expecting us to do the job of about 3 people, not caring if we get a break, not caring in general,the customers can be so annoying sometimes! I mean dont get me wrong I have a few lovely regulars and it's nice speaking to them but people are just so rude! I'd hoped after being in lockdown so long people might be more polite but nope that's wishful thinking. I want to get out of hospitality due to the reasons I just said (and many many more, where I work is just awful) but I don't know what I want to go into so Im sort of stuck in limbo. I'm just scrolling through indeed, seeing if anything interesting pops up at the moment but nothing is catching my eye.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is kind of the stage I'm at too. I work in hospitality and alongside my employer just being completley rubbish, unsupportive, expecting us to do the job of about 3 people, not caring if we get a break, not caring in general,the customers can be so annoying sometimes! I mean dont get me wrong I have a few lovely regulars and it's nice speaking to them but people are just so rude! I'd hoped after being in lockdown so long people might be more polite but nope that's wishful thinking. I want to get out of hospitality due to the reasons I just said (and many many more, where I work is just awful) but I don't know what I want to go into so Im sort of stuck in limbo. I'm just scrolling through indeed, seeing if anything interesting pops up at the moment but nothing is catching my eye.
Funny you mention rude customers. Finding the exact same thing. I stopped for a coffee at my regular spot last week and the girl asked me how I was finding work. When I mentioned how rude people were she said she was experiencing the same.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I thought everyone hated their job 🙈
Me too, especially at the same work place. It amazed me that colleagues weren't bothered by things that bothered me. Although sometimes different people are treated differently, therefore it isn't as bad for the in crowd.

Reactions: 6
😐 there is nothing much you can do since it is said in your contract. But the good side is that you will be getting 18-20 days worth of holiday money, you can use it to go on a proper holiday once you can travel. My advice is to ask HR to calculate how many days of AL you have, how much will you be paid for each holiday day and have it written down so it is clear. If you are working from home, then just treat this 18-20days as holiday, do the bare minimal so you don’t get told off but not to F up that you won’t get any references
My resignation hasn't even been keyed onto the system yet so I may not even get paid properly. I'm going to get it chased up tomorrow as the deadline is 4pm tomorrow for payroll. Thank you so much for your reply and I've spoken to HR who have told me how much I would get paid hourly so I think saving it for a holiday is a really idea.
I am doing the bare minimum if I'm honest and I've been ok doing that so far. 3 weeks to go! x

Reactions: 4
So Boris had the bright idea to say we can RTW and scrap social distancing.
Just incase everybody hates their job job and does not wish to return.... apple juice provides a positive result on a lateral flow. Thank me later 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Funny you mention rude customers. Finding the exact same thing. I stopped for a coffee at my regular spot last week and the girl asked me how I was finding work. When I mentioned how rude people were she said she was experiencing the same.
I have heard this too.

I think I'm really starting to resent someone I work with. He just brings the morale down as he can't handle any type of work without saying he is "overwhelmed". He already took two weeks annual leave in March and started complaining in June he was "burned out" and needed three weeks annual leave. The manager refused it, but he kept insisting so much, she ended up giving in.

He is so bad that he sent a vague "handover" email about three weeks prior to his annual leave saying he'll be OOO "some time next month" (without specifying any dates) and gave us a list of items to complete, including a whole bunch of analyses and tasks that he should normally complete before heading off on annual leave because we simply have no knowledge of his assigned portfolio. Basically, he's using annual leave as a cop out to dodge the work he can't/won't handle onto other people. His list wasn't clear at all, but what was clear from it is that he wanted us to do his work from him. When we both joined the team (around the same time), we both were told we needed to schedule annual leave based on the various work cycles as the policy is to avoid handovers. Basically, if you intend on going for a week or two, be sure to take those weeks during a time where you have a lower workload as we work on a project/cycle basis. I've been in the team a year and no one has ever done a handover before going on annual leave, except him.

Fast forward, I was OOO this week, but logged in briefly this morning. I saw he sent me a chaser email at 9am sharp this morning saying "Can you kindly take some projects from my handover list?" after another team member had told me to ignore his handover email. Eff off. I've been in the team a year and all other team members including me always made sure to finish everything before annual leave to avoid heavy handovers. This dope is out here sending me emails when I'm OOO asking me to "take some projects". Literally, eff off. It's not my responsibility to take over his work and to cover for him. He's not my boss and the boss hasn't asked me to cover for him either. If the manager asks me to do so, fair enough, but unless the manager approaches me, not a chance.

This guy dropped me at the very last minute when he volunteered on one of my projects, messed his piece up and right before the deadline, he called me saying: "I can't finish, I'm too busy and overwhelmed, I need to hand it over". And he's expecting me to cover for him now? Not happening. I've been OOO all week and didn't ask a single person to cover for me because I finished my work before taking off. Homeboy drops me at the last minute and messes up my project and is now giving me orders to "take on a projects" from his handover list? No. The sentence wasn't even polite enough to say: "If you have capacity, I'd appreciate if you could etc..". No, just effing no.

I'm mad at people who screw you over and yet expect you to have their back. Nowhere is it written in my contract I have to cover for employees on annual leave. Other team members never ask anyone to cover, why would he need coverage? Whilst I happily did it in previous companies, the culture and work was different. Man, I'm so mad at what is waiting for me on Monday. I already have a headache.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I think I'm really starting to resent someone I work with. He just brings the morale down as he can't handle any type of work without saying he is "overwhelmed". He already took two weeks annual leave in March and started complaining in June he was "burned out" and needed three weeks annual leave. The manager refused it, but he kept insisting so much, she ended up giving in.

He is so bad that he sent a vague "handover" email about three weeks prior to his annual leave saying he'll be OOO "some time next month" (without specifying any dates) and gave us a list of items to complete, including a whole bunch of analyses and tasks that he should normally complete before heading off on annual leave because we simply have no knowledge of his assigned portfolio. Basically, he's using annual leave as a cop out to dodge the work he can't/won't handle onto other people. His list wasn't clear at all, but what was clear from it is that he wanted us to do his work from him. When we both joined the team (around the same time), we both were told we needed to schedule annual leave based on the various work cycles as the policy is to avoid handovers. Basically, if you intend on going for a week or two, be sure to take those weeks during a time where you have a lower workload as we work on a project/cycle basis. I've been in the team a year and no one has ever done a handover before going on annual leave, except him.

Fast forward, I was OOO this week, but logged in briefly this morning. I saw he sent me a chaser email at 9am sharp this morning saying "Can you kindly take some projects from my handover list?" after another team member had told me to ignore his handover email. Eff off. I've been in the team a year and all other team members including me always made sure to finish everything before annual leave to avoid heavy handovers. This dope is out here sending me emails when I'm OOO asking me to "take some projects". Literally, eff off. It's not my responsibility to take over his work and to cover for him. He's not my boss and the boss hasn't asked me to cover for him either. If the manager asks me to do so, fair enough, but unless the manager approaches me, not a chance.

This guy dropped me at the very last minute when he volunteered on one of my projects, messed his piece up and right before the deadline, he called me saying: "I can't finish, I'm too busy and overwhelmed, I need to hand it over". And he's expecting me to cover for him now? Not happening. I've been OOO all week and didn't ask a single person to cover for me because I finished my work before taking off. Homeboy drops me at the last minute and messes up my project and is now giving me orders to "take on a projects" from his handover list? No. The sentence wasn't even polite enough to say: "If you have capacity, I'd appreciate if you could etc..". No, just effing no.

I'm mad at people who screw you over and yet expect you to have their back. Nowhere is it written in my contract I have to cover for employees on annual leave. Other team members never ask anyone to cover, why would he need coverage? Whilst I happily did it in previous companies, the culture and work was different. Man, I'm so mad at what is waiting for me on Monday. I already have a headache.
As I expected today - came back to the office to find three chasers he sent during my week off, including one yesterday marked URGENT at 9pm asking me to answer by this morning 10am when he's due to start his annual leave on Friday. Buddy, I'm off. Are you idiotic enough to expect a response after getting three OOOs?

Is it really that necessary that the first thing I have to do after a week off is to respond to a poorly written premature handover to agree to take on someone's work when I haven't even had the chance to get on top of my own work? The worst part is that I didn't get as much as a "Thanks" after I responded. The worst part is the handover doesn't even state what needs to be done - just the name of the client. What a dope.

Only God knows how much I despise this individual who is not even my boss - just a really incompetent peer.

• Angry
Reactions: 6
As I expected today - came back to the office to find three chasers he sent during my week off, including one yesterday marked URGENT at 9pm asking me to answer by this morning 10am when he's due to start his annual leave on Friday. Buddy, I'm off. Are you idiotic enough to expect a response after getting three OOOs?

Is it really that necessary that the first thing I have to do after a week off is to respond to a poorly written premature handover to agree to take on someone's work when I haven't even had the chance to get on top of my own work? The worst part is that I didn't get as much as a "Thanks" after I responded. The worst part is the handover doesn't even state what needs to be done - just the name of the client. What a dope.

Only God knows how much I despise this individual who is not even my boss - just a really incompetent peer.
I fully sympathise and I would be livid! Have you told your boss about this person?

Reactions: 3
I fully sympathise and I would be livid! Have you told your boss about this person?
No, I have not. I'm afraid of coming across as "the complainer" or the "toxic" seed in the group. I have a great deal of patience, but it is running extremely thin at this point. I think he has been annoying more than one person in the team, I know for sure. I'm ready to move internally just to get away from him.

The manager asked me to provide written feedback on him (before this handover debacle). I didn't give him a glowing one and certainly highlighted the fact he dropped me halfway through a project (the team lead was aware of this as well and addressed the matter). Then, he screwed up on someone else's project, which was brought to light in front of the entire team. I therefore think he already has a track record that speaks for itself.

You really do need to talk with your Manager as this is unfair. He is clearly struggling and needs to either have work taken off him of less hours. If you help him out again this will continue. I read your post the other day and felt so angry as I have some of the same too. I did tell my Manager but she is useless so I am looking for another job. I need to find another job for my sanity.

It might be better if he worked less hrs and less work and another part timer taken on? Just an idea.

Have a Frank chat with Manager show these emails and say you never asked for help so why does he need help?

You cannot keep helping out time and time again as nothing will change and you'll leave. Not matter how much you might like your job his poor standards or him being overwhelmed will make you leave.

Good luck with what you do

You really do need to talk with your Manager as this is unfair. He is clearly struggling and needs to either have work taken off him of less hours. If you help him out again this will continue. I read your post the other day and felt so angry as I have some of the same too. I did tell my Manager but she is useless so I am looking for another job. I need to find another job for my sanity.

It might be better if he worked less hrs and less work and another part timer taken on? Just an idea.

Have a Frank chat with Manager show these emails and say you never asked for help so why does he need help?

You cannot keep helping out time and time again as nothing will change and you'll leave. Not matter how much you might like your job his poor standards or him being overwhelmed will make you leave.

Good luck with what you do
Thank you! I agree with all your points. Very true.

I checked his list which basically includes all of his work at this point. He doesn't have any more work than I do. We have about the same amount of work. It's simply he has poor time management and organizational skills as well as a proven lack of technical skills. He's using other people as his clutch.

He's full time and unless he wants to go part-time, I doubt anything is going to change. He's going to keep complaining because he comes across as inexperienced and a chronic complainer.

The issue is that the team lead is currently away on extended leave and he happens to be the team lead's favorite for some mysteriously baffling reason. The team lead's manager took over as our interim manager. This person is quite high up and incredibly busy. I'm guessing she knows about his tendencies as some people have reported issues surrounding him to her, but I suppose she's unwilling to deal with this as she has better concerns.

We recently got a salary increase, which is great, but if he got the same increase, I can safely assume he's never leaving or not anytime soon. I really appreciate the salary increase and it's definitely providing me more bargaining power with potential recruiters. I agree with you. I can't deal with him anymore and I'm seriously contemplating moving internally or externally once enough time has elapsed after the salary increase (6 months tops). If he's able to get away with so much BS, then it shows the management's lack of interest and overall weakness. People like him are unwilling to learn and are simply looking for short-cuts towards progression. Incredibly unfair, I wholeheartedly agree.

Thank you! I agree with all your points. Very true.

I checked his list which basically includes all of his work at this point. He doesn't have any more work than I do. We have about the same amount of work. It's simply he has poor time management and organizational skills as well as a proven lack of technical skills. He's using other people as his clutch.

He's full time and unless he wants to go part-time, I doubt anything is going to change. He's going to keep complaining because he comes across as inexperienced and a chronic complainer.

The issue is that the team lead is currently away on extended leave and he happens to be the team lead's favorite for some mysteriously baffling reason. The team lead's manager took over as our interim manager. This person is quite high up and incredibly busy. I'm guessing she knows about his tendencies as some people have reported issues surrounding him to her, but I suppose she's unwilling to deal with this as she has better concerns.

We recently got a salary increase, which is great, but if he got the same increase, I can safely assume he's never leaving or not anytime soon. I really appreciate the salary increase and it's definitely providing me more bargaining power with potential recruiters. I agree with you. I can't deal with him anymore and I'm seriously contemplating moving internally or externally once enough time has elapsed after the salary increase (6 months tops). If he's able to get away with so much BS, then it shows the management's lack of interest and overall weakness. People like him are unwilling to learn and are simply looking for short-cuts towards progression. Incredibly unfair, I wholeheartedly agree.
I know it's so unfair that you have to shoulder more work and nothing is done about him. It's got to be done and do not feel bad about it. It's actually unfair on you. If not your Manager do you have a Hr department? A chat with them maybe?
It's making me mad tbh as I said before I talked to my Manager and got nowhere she even said I do care nah you don't. But at least I tried. I will again too.

I know it's so unfair that you have to shoulder more work and nothing is done about him. It's got to be done and do not feel bad about it. It's actually unfair on you. If not your Manager do you have a Hr department? A chat with them maybe?
It's making me mad tbh as I said before I talked to my Manager and got nowhere she even said I do care nah you don't. But at least I tried. I will again too.
I think the issue with most managers is that they want to be liked by every single report and therefore refrain from putting their foot down even it's necessary. As a manager, it's your responsibility to deal with the good and the bad, not just sit there with a title and avoid people management. It drives me absolutely mad. You're right to bring it up though. I simply don't know how to do it personally. I'm going to raise with another team member who has been in the team for years (he's the only one left) and see whether he got pestered as well. Maybe he will stir me in the right direction. I need to speak about this to someone otherwise I'm going to implode.

We have a HR department, but there are about 3,000 employees in the local office. They probably won't care although I have other evidence against him (e.g. our manager shared our personal phones numbers to include the team in a WhatsApp group and this guy took my number from the group chat and started texting me on Saturday evenings & during out of office business hours. If I didn't respond - which I never did - he'd ping me on Skype at work the following day to ask me why I didn't answer).

I removed him from my work Skype contacts today (not blocked, just removed) as I can't see his face anymore (he has a picture on Skype). The sight of him makes me want to hurl. It's that bad.

Hate it at the moment. It's not the job I trained for (I did a MSc a few years ago to get into my field). For context I work in the NHS but I'm not a nurse/Dr.

I took a specialist role last March that was set up by a lady who was very experienced and had a very different attitude to life and work than me. I have a generic job title but I work under a specialist MDT team and so I am the only person with my job in the whole trust. I literally started a week before lockdown was declared - and because of the pandemic rather than having a nice 6 months easy induction to the specialism, I had 5 months of generic working on COVID wards, then a month of 'oh tit we'd best show you some specialist stuff' which was impacted by annual leave (mine and the team I'm under), then a few more months of COVID wards with the second wave and from then I've been on my own. My manager got a promotion at the start of the year, around March before she left went to her replacement "Oh, btw Takhana doesn't do the job properly" and they've been 'mentoring' me since then which is coming to an end in three weeks. If I haven't 'improved' by the end of this mentoring period they're talking about getting HR involved with a management plan. The plan for the mentoring period was that I'd go back to the team that I'm under professionally and I'd work alongside that team to build my skills - what's actually happened is I have slightly changed work hours, I go to their daily meetings which are utterly pointless for me as I don't see any of their caseload and then my supervisor gets annoyed that nothing's different in our (now every other day) 1 - 1 meetings. I came to the start of the mentoring period with an A4 bullet point list of things I wanted to see and do with that team and I've done precisely none of them because they won't let me in to see their caseload.

Things change at the drop of the hat with the whole hospital and systems, trying to get care at the moment for anyone is like trying to get Jeff Bezos to pay fair taxes, and I seem to be blamed for things that happen when I'm not even in work (I got back from a fortnights annual leave today and got told off for a situation that was fine when I left and went to pot when I wasn't in because no-one picked up my work despite me asking them to do so).

It's a shame because it is where I see my career going, but where I work now isn't a good place to develop a career and it isn't a good place to do my job. It's a stressful, emotionally fatiguing job and today I just felt totally and utterly defeated by it.

And my line manager has written in my appraisal for this year that I'm a bad communicator, I'm not a bad communicator, I communicate very well by all methods but people don't act on the things I ask them to do. For instance - again, without revealing too much about myself or my role, I asked someone to do a basic assessment on someone whilst I was away this time. I emailed them and confirmed the plan in the notes. Was it done? No, because they "didn't have time" which translates into "We knew Takhana would do it when she got back so we didn't bother". As a result that person has sat in a hospital bed for x days longer than they needed to. And it's my fault.

The other thing about my job is that other people in my profession let this career totally consume themselves. They aren't Becky, wife and mum to two kids who enjoys cycling at the weekend, they are Becky, (insert profession here) who happens to spend some time outside the hospital occasionally.

Oh, and if you don't kiss the arse of our director, then you don't get any opportunities or recognition for your work.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.