Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't hate my job but definitely don't like it. Why do people make out that jobs are "high pressure" in a "fast-paced environment" then when you get there it's just crickets most of the time?
Does anyone here work in admin and not really mind what you do, as long as you have plenty to do and a nice team?

Reactions: 5
Going through one of those phases again where I’m considering making the move from an admin based role to a care/support role.

I’m so fed up of being sat at a desk, tap tap tapping away at my computer all day, staring at a screen and feeling numb by the end of the day because I’ve barely moved for 8 hours. My job is easy and I’d say fairly paid for what I do, but it’s so unfulfilling. Every day is the same monotonous crap and this may sound dramatic but - I don’t feel like I’m making a difference in the world. I want to help people and feel good about what I do. I don’t give a rat’s ass about Microsoft Office!

I already work in the NHS so have access to so many different roles. I scroll through the different job listings everyday but am yet to bite the bullet and apply. I guess I’m a bit worried that I won’t be good at being a HCA/HSW but you learn on the job and with experience, right? If I did make the move I’d want to work my way up to nursing but again am worried I’d be a tit nurse! I’ve always been in an admin role or behind the scenes so the thought of being responsible for another human terrifies me. I’ve never had to look after anyone before except myself and it’s up for debate whether I’m actually good at looking after me or not😂

Admin is so lonely. I don’t feel a close connection with my colleagues because we’re all kinda working on our own thing, not really needing input from one another. They’re also only in the job for a wage and not interested in making friends or bonding with anyone which is totally fine but I would love to make more friends! I’m only 30 and have a small friend group outside of work and rarely see them. It would be nice to feel closer to those I spend my days with. Christ I’ve been in my role a few years now and don’t even have anyone’s phone number!

Ugh I don’t know. I’ve had these thoughts numerous times now and I never know what to do.
If you don’t mind me asking what is your role and is it Monday-Friday? What are the hours like? Xxx

Don't hate my job but definitely don't like it. Why do people make out that jobs are "high pressure" in a "fast-paced environment" then when you get there it's just crickets most of the time?
Does anyone here work in admin and not really mind what you do, as long as you have plenty to do and a nice team?

I don't do admin work, but one of my former colleagues was in such a role and complained about the same thing. He very specifically joined out gigantic company because he thought he'd finally have to not be bored 50% of the day and it turned out, even with ~100k employees in the country, it was crickets. he made a good thing out of it though and actively tried to not just sit there and wait for people to want something from him, but looked for process improvements and such. Very successful as well, a lot of his ideas were taken on and he was moved into a role with more impact. For him, it was a good job, even though it could have been boring.

Reactions: 4
If you don’t mind me asking what is your role and is it Monday-Friday? What are the hours like? Xxx
Yes it’s Monday to Friday, never work weekends and don’t work public holidays. I work 8am - 4pm and have flexi-time so can adjust my hours if needs be.

I don’t want to say the exact job title because it’s quite specific but I basically process referrals that our department receives, organise and manage our clinic diaries to make sure that clinics are being filled efficiently, book appointments for routine follow ups, urgent suspected cancers, local anaesthetic procedures, sedation procedures. Lots of other little fiddly bits but that’s the quick run down.

One day can be dead with nothing to do and other days can be manic having to cancel clinics last minute because our surgeons have to go to theatre and then trying to find new appointments for patients when we’re full to the brim for months.

It does have its good days but admin never get the recognition they deserve so a lot of the time it can feel quite thankless.

If you’re looking for something similar you’d be looking for NHS band 3 or 4 admin positions (in Scotland anyway, not sure about anywhere else as our banding and pay is different). Medical secretary can be somewhat similar but you’re more on the inpatient surgical side of things, so look for outpatient based admin roles for something more similar to mine.

I don't do admin work, but one of my former colleagues was in such a role and complained about the same thing. He very specifically joined out gigantic company because he thought he'd finally have to not be bored 50% of the day and it turned out, even with ~100k employees in the country, it was crickets. he made a good thing out of it though and actively tried to not just sit there and wait for people to want something from him, but looked for process improvements and such. Very successful as well, a lot of his ideas were taken on and he was moved into a role with more impact. For him, it was a good job, even though it could have been boring.
Oh wow good for him! Sounds like it worked out really well for him. My job is a bit more limited than that unfortunately - I've been making some improvements as I go along, but there's a limited amount I can really do. I've been asking other people in my team if they need help with anything but the answer is always no. I'm going to stick it out a few more months to make it a full year and in the meantime I'm looking at other jobs that come up to see if there are any that really click with me and give me an idea of what I'd really like to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Don’t want to gloat but after what has been a horrible year in my job, I am finally starting a new job in August.
HOWEVER, my extremely incompetent manager at my current job has refused to organise anything to do with my leaving. It has got as far as me having to email the payroll person to ask if my pay was going to be processed properly. She hd no idea I was leaving and now they’re fumbling to correct everything. I’m so angry :mad:
Counting down the hours until I can leave that nightmare of a company.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
I don't hate my job but I've come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to working in the office. I know face to face collaboration can be important (from time to time) but I just find the day so tedious. Idle chit chat, commuting, listening to colleagues noisy eating and inane conversation, being present in the office just because its expected. I find office days so tedious. Give me a long walk before I start work in lieu of a commute, a nice podcast as I do my "busy work" lunch with my other half, no commute to pick the kids up as soon as my day is done. I much prefer it and I don't find it isolating in any way.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've been at my workplace for around 1.5 years and they've always been very flexible with working from home, but the CEO has always preferred the office experience and we've recently got word that our company is moving away from the flexible working to a majority of time in the office... a policy has been drawn up and next month, we get 2 days a week at home but from September onwards it's 1 day a week at home... everyone is so unhappy about it.... I'm absolutely dreading it. The 45 mile round journey each day, the early starts, rush hour traffic (and the traffic jams), getting home later, the expense of fuel and parking.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I feel like I’m stuck in contract after contract after contract. I started my current role a few months ago and despite trying to throw myself in to it….its a clear no from me. While it’s only until June next year, I’m already looking to go. The main wobbles are:

• Everything I’ve done so far has been shadowed. I’m not talking about processes I’m new to, or complex stakeholder meetings - I am talking dialling a number on Teams and speaking to someone about the applications they’re starting for a job. I had to have TWO WEEKS of this before I was “allowed” to go bloody do my own work.
  • I’ve been given an old list of applicants who started with an application nearly three months ago, haven’t responded to any marketing comms, previous attempts. Nope - as they’re “priority” applicants, I have to continuously chase people on a four day basis over phone and email. Despite them blocking my number. And telling my manager this (“well they can’t block everything can they?”)
  • They won’t let me close any of the above until 60 days have passed of me “working” on their accounts (so…including them opening months ago, they’ve been harassed by us for five months?)
  • Our deadline is next week and we’ve had a serious push to get the numbers up. Lots of “asking” for us to put in serious hours in evenings. I had a few responsive applicants who due to work, asked for weekends. I’d be happy to as a one off (and they were very engaged and credible). When I suggested this - NOPE NOOOO. WORK LIFE BALANCE. YOU NEED TO DO IT MON-FRI AT 9PM AS WE NEED TO SET A WORKING PRECEDENT WHAT IF OTHER DEPARTMENTS HEAR OF THIS. Huh?
  • They’ve already had constant reminders for the previous FOUR deadlines…and next week is the final one. That’s really not setting the company as a prestigious law firm for grads?
  • If you’re a grad from a polytechnic - they look down on you and would rather their scheme is full of Russell Groups. Why? No solid reason.
  • I’ve got a wealth of visa knowledge from working on a few extensive UKVI contracts - I found out they’ve been advising international applicants absolute garbage to get them to submit applications despite us having limited funds for sponsoring visas (read - maybe one DIAMOND example) - did they care? Nope, you know nothing where have you got this knowledge from?
  • My numbers have been low over the past few weeks due to shadowing other things they want me signed off on, but three hours after work I’ve had passive aggressive messages from my “work mentor” and manager asking what emails have gone out, why I’ve only had 25 calls logged today (Teams was immediately deleted from my phone lol)
  • Mandatory socials!!!!! I’m not against going out with work, but they’re throwing ones during the quiet period where we’re expected to pay £60 - £80 A HEAD for things I don’t really want to do (also…thats a lot of money). Got the biggest side eye when I pointed out I was on a budget.
  • Constant leavers. The Teams chat always has “XYZ has left the chat” before they’re erased from the system and never discussed. Tempted to track them down to find out what went on…
  • There is a constant micro management element to it. Messages on “why haven’t you done xyz” for something that isn’t business critical, the week I started I got told I had to share my diary with the entire 10+ team “so everyone knows what each other is doing and can reallocate work accordingly”, constant charts of figures going up in the group chat and people tagged if they’re not matching the levels others are doing. This doesn’t take into account workloads - so if someone is occupied with Project A, they’re still expected to do high volumes for Project B.
Granted a lot of the above on a separate basis would just warrant an eye-roll on its own, but when its collectively I’m just in a murderous rage on a regular basis.

The baffling thing is that I actually worked at this company quite a few years ago pre-Covid in a different department and really enjoyed it - so I guess this shows a lot can change.

LinkedIn updated, CV being updated. All I can do is look I guess (but any tips on how to deal with the absolute bollocks above, please let me know)

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I feel like I’m stuck in contract after contract after contract. I started my current role a few months ago and despite trying to throw myself in to it….its a clear no from me. While it’s only until June next year, I’m already looking to go. The main wobbles are:

• Everything I’ve done so far has been shadowed. I’m not talking about processes I’m new to, or complex stakeholder meetings - I am talking dialling a number on Teams and speaking to someone about the applications they’re starting for a job. I had to have TWO WEEKS of this before I was “allowed” to go bloody do my own work.
  • I’ve been given an old list of applicants who started with an application nearly three months ago, haven’t responded to any marketing comms, previous attempts. Nope - as they’re “priority” applicants, I have to continuously chase people on a four day basis over phone and email. Despite them blocking my number. And telling my manager this (“well they can’t block everything can they?”)
  • They won’t let me close any of the above until 60 days have passed of me “working” on their accounts (so…including them opening months ago, they’ve been harassed by us for five months?)
  • Our deadline is next week and we’ve had a serious push to get the numbers up. Lots of “asking” for us to put in serious hours in evenings. I had a few responsive applicants who due to work, asked for weekends. I’d be happy to as a one off (and they were very engaged and credible). When I suggested this - NOPE NOOOO. WORK LIFE BALANCE. YOU NEED TO DO IT MON-FRI AT 9PM AS WE NEED TO SET A WORKING PRECEDENT WHAT IF OTHER DEPARTMENTS HEAR OF THIS. Huh?
  • They’ve already had constant reminders for the previous FOUR deadlines…and next week is the final one. That’s really not setting the company as a prestigious law firm for grads?
  • If you’re a grad from a polytechnic - they look down on you and would rather their scheme is full of Russell Groups. Why? No solid reason.
  • I’ve got a wealth of visa knowledge from working on a few extensive UKVI contracts - I found out they’ve been advising international applicants absolute garbage to get them to submit applications despite us having limited funds for sponsoring visas (read - maybe one DIAMOND example) - did they care? Nope, you know nothing where have you got this knowledge from?
  • My numbers have been low over the past few weeks due to shadowing other things they want me signed off on, but three hours after work I’ve had passive aggressive messages from my “work mentor” and manager asking what emails have gone out, why I’ve only had 25 calls logged today (Teams was immediately deleted from my phone lol)
  • Mandatory socials!!!!! I’m not against going out with work, but they’re throwing ones during the quiet period where we’re expected to pay £60 - £80 A HEAD for things I don’t really want to do (also…thats a lot of money). Got the biggest side eye when I pointed out I was on a budget.
  • Constant leavers. The Teams chat always has “XYZ has left the chat” before they’re erased from the system and never discussed. Tempted to track them down to find out what went on…
  • There is a constant micro management element to it. Messages on “why haven’t you done xyz” for something that isn’t business critical, the week I started I got told I had to share my diary with the entire 10+ team “so everyone knows what each other is doing and can reallocate work accordingly”, constant charts of figures going up in the group chat and people tagged if they’re not matching the levels others are doing. This doesn’t take into account workloads - so if someone is occupied with Project A, they’re still expected to do high volumes for Project B.
Granted a lot of the above on a separate basis would just warrant an eye-roll on its own, but when its collectively I’m just in a murderous rage on a regular basis.

The baffling thing is that I actually worked at this company quite a few years ago pre-Covid in a different department and really enjoyed it - so I guess this shows a lot can change.

LinkedIn updated, CV being updated. All I can do is look I guess (but any tips on how to deal with the absolute bollocks above, please let me know)
This sounds horrible.

This sounds awful! I hope you find something better.

Not really about jobs, but kind of related to it: Do we have a thread on here about "social currency"? I would love to talk about this with you, I'm feeling very sad today. Was off work and kept looking for another job, even though objectively, I'm in a "good job", a "cool career", the sort of place when you tell people that you work there their faces light up and they gush about how fancy that is. It isn't, but it's what I think of a social currency, same as marriage, kids, home-ownership, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Not really about jobs, but kind of related to it: Do we have a thread on here about "social currency"? I would love to talk about this with you, I'm feeling very sad today. Was off work and kept looking for another job, even though objectively, I'm in a "good job", a "cool career", the sort of place when you tell people that you work there their faces light up and they gush about how fancy that is. It isn't, but it's what I think of a social currency, same as marriage, kids, home-ownership, etc.
I don't think I've seen a thread like this but it would be interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
On a Zoom meeting, in a break, with line managers etc. I have just been on leave, not one person has asked me about my holidays. I always make a point of asking, even if I am not interested. They are all asking each other about holidays past and future. I am sat like a spare part. Not a biggie in the scheme of things but indicative of cliques, self absorption of some of my colleagues. I could push in and say something but I am not going to bother. I am also not going to do the nicey chat when they have something to comment on.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My supervisor who is paid a lot more than me for doing the same job has taken herself to WFH this afternoon because she's 'quiet' 🙄

I’m thinking of applying for a new job. I like my job most of the time but there’s things that are increasingly annoying me recently. But this other job will mean I’ll have to drive 30mins each way instead of 5mins. I hate driving so that puts me off. Also it’ll be more hours for probably the same pay, maybe a bit more.. Although it’ll be days rather than nights so it makes sense the pay is worse. But I’m not sure if the advert is wrong as I’ve never seen this shift pattern for days before only nights 🤔

Reactions: 2
Don't hate it yet but getting to that point. I work in social services and I'm very close to burn out. I have amazing colleagues and work close to home so its not all bad but the work itself is thankless and I'm getting fed up of the constant abuse. I'm in college training for something else and that's keeping me going but it will be another few years before I'm able to make a full career change but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m thinking of applying for a new job. I like my job most of the time but there’s things that are increasingly annoying me recently. But this other job will mean I’ll have to drive 30mins each way instead of 5mins. I hate driving so that puts me off. Also it’ll be more hours for probably the same pay, maybe a bit more.. Although it’ll be days rather than nights so it makes sense the pay is worse. But I’m not sure if the advert is wrong as I’ve never seen this shift pattern for days before only nights 🤔

I would say it doesn't hurt to apply and test the waters, but: if you need to drive a lot more and the pay will be the same, you'll be losing money, especially if they also want more hours. You could try to find out whether the hours are truly like this and whether that job would be so different from your current one that it would annoy you less. But overall, in case you want to look for something new, I would say there's nothing like trying out. At least it's good practice!

I would say it doesn't hurt to apply and test the waters, but: if you need to drive a lot more and the pay will be the same, you'll be losing money, especially if they also want more hours. You could try to find out whether the hours are truly like this and whether that job would be so different from your current one that it would annoy you less. But overall, in case you want to look for something new, I would say there's nothing like trying out. At least it's good practice!
Yeah I think I might. I don’t know whether to email and ask if it is definitely days first, I might just email and say I’ve never seen these shifts for days before only nights so want to check if it is definitely days before I apply. It’s also not just the shift times that makes me question this, something else in the advert does. Although I probably will still apply if it’s nights.
Yeah I think the top end of the salary is about 1k more than I get a year so maybe I’d just ask for that. There is a shortage of people for the job I do so it’s in demand. I know someone who is going to a new job, nearly a third of the hours a year and getting paid more than his current job. I could also apply for there which is only a few minutes further than my current job but the work doesn’t interest me as much. I’ve asked a few people in the industry if they’ve heard anything about the job I originally posted about to see what the reputation is like. I also think I could possibly use it as leverage to get more at my current job since they struggle to hire for my position (same as most places).

I do also think working days would be better for my health especially long term and I’d also be able to enjoy my time off better without having to switch between days/nights.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.