Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Already sick of my job again. I've been back from sickleave 3 days and already feels like I've worked 60 hours this week. I'm so tired of it all.

I've lost my enthusiasm for IT and the company I work for - they've done some less than acceptable things to friends and coworkers of mine, one of them got fired for things that were not his fault, another one was fired for a misunderstanding, there's drama everywhere, the boss is a narc and his second too with delusions of grandeur and its bleeping tiring.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have been back to work roughly 2 months after some long term sick leave. There was a time when I adored my job and career but now each day when I wake up I'm filled with dread. I've reduced my working week to 4 days in the past year thinking that wud help. I want to change jobs and career but kno I wud take a huge hit on salary which isn't good when you have a partner and kids to support.
Can anyone who has done a degree in open University give any advice? Is it possible to work and study with a young family?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
So I’m basically sure my job is going to ask me to change shifts - which I don’t want to do really.
I really want a change in job completely. I’ve found a job which requires a degree, but not a specific one. So I filled out most of the application but then got to the reference stage. It says I need a minimum of 3 references. I don’t know who to put for them, I’ve only had one job since finishing uni.
Also it asks for supporting evidence about why you’d be good for the job. But the job advert is so basic and doesn’t actually say what you’ll be doing and it’s a new role.
It’s probably pointless applying but I thought the worse they’ll say is no so why not

So I’m basically sure my job is going to ask me to change shifts - which I don’t want to do really.
I really want a change in job completely. I’ve found a job which requires a degree, but not a specific one. So I filled out most of the application but then got to the reference stage. It says I need a minimum of 3 references. I don’t know who to put for them, I’ve only had one job since finishing uni.
Also it asks for supporting evidence about why you’d be good for the job. But the job advert is so basic and doesn’t actually say what you’ll be doing and it’s a new role.
It’s probably pointless applying but I thought the worse they’ll say is no so why not
Ignore the reuqirements you don't have, put down the references you do and pull something out of your arse about being flexible and a good worker or whatever for that supporting evidence bit.

Honestly employers are taking the piss, almost like they don't even want people to apply.

Good luck to you!

Going through one of those phases again where I’m considering making the move from an admin based role to a care/support role.

I’m so fed up of being sat at a desk, tap tap tapping away at my computer all day, staring at a screen and feeling numb by the end of the day because I’ve barely moved for 8 hours. My job is easy and I’d say fairly paid for what I do, but it’s so unfulfilling. Every day is the same monotonous crap and this may sound dramatic but - I don’t feel like I’m making a difference in the world. I want to help people and feel good about what I do. I don’t give a rat’s ass about Microsoft Office!

I already work in the NHS so have access to so many different roles. I scroll through the different job listings everyday but am yet to bite the bullet and apply. I guess I’m a bit worried that I won’t be good at being a HCA/HSW but you learn on the job and with experience, right? If I did make the move I’d want to work my way up to nursing but again am worried I’d be a tit nurse! I’ve always been in an admin role or behind the scenes so the thought of being responsible for another human terrifies me. I’ve never had to look after anyone before except myself and it’s up for debate whether I’m actually good at looking after me or not😂

Admin is so lonely. I don’t feel a close connection with my colleagues because we’re all kinda working on our own thing, not really needing input from one another. They’re also only in the job for a wage and not interested in making friends or bonding with anyone which is totally fine but I would love to make more friends! I’m only 30 and have a small friend group outside of work and rarely see them. It would be nice to feel closer to those I spend my days with. Christ I’ve been in my role a few years now and don’t even have anyone’s phone number!

Ugh I don’t know. I’ve had these thoughts numerous times now and I never know what to do.
apply for a personal assistant role in the nhs! it’s admin based obviously but it’s so fulfilling, people come to you/rely on your help so you feel like you’re making a difference. you get the 9-5 no weekends benefits. you meet everyone in your department and become a friendly face. it’s the best thing I ever did for my mental health after so many awful boring customer service/admin jobs
The role is also really varied so you’re always busy and days go quick :)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ignore the reuqirements you don't have, put down the references you do and pull something out of your arse about being flexible and a good worker or whatever for that supporting evidence bit.

Honestly employers are taking the piss, almost like they don't even want people to apply.

Good luck to you!
The only requirement I can see is a degree. Doesn’t specific what degree either. It just says degree or relevant experience.
The main issue is I don’t know who to put for references. I put my boss at the moment, I just put my works phone number and put do not contact. I guess I can put my current supervisor and do the same thing. I just don’t know about the third one.
Maybe I’ll ask my old supervisor who recently left 🤔

Reactions: 1
apply for a personal assistant role in the nhs! it’s admin based obviously but it’s so fulfilling, people come to you/rely on your help so you feel like you’re making a difference. you get the 9-5 no weekends benefits. you meet everyone in your department and become a friendly face. it’s the best thing I ever did for my mental health after so many awful boring customer service/admin jobs
The role is also really varied so you’re always busy and days go quick :)
It’s funny you say that as when I joined the NHS my plan was to work my way up from a receptionist to a PA! I’m now in a role that’s kind of like a secretary but not quite. Annoyingly the majority of PA jobs that come up in my area have management and senior supervisor responsibilities which I don’t want. I will keep looking though, it’s good to know it’s an enjoyable job so thank you for sharing!

Would people ever go back to somewhere they had problems? I left somewhere a year ago because someone bullied me, lots of people knew and I reported the person but nobody backed me up when it came to investigating it cause they were scared.

But other than that one person, everyone was lovely and looking back before the bullying I was happiest I’ve been in work.

There’s jobs available now but would going back be asking for bullying again ?

Would people ever go back to somewhere they had problems? I left somewhere a year ago because someone bullied me, lots of people knew and I reported the person but nobody backed me up when it came to investigating it cause they were scared.

But other than that one person, everyone was lovely and looking back before the bullying I was happiest I’ve been in work.

There’s jobs available now but would going back be asking for bullying again ?
I’d probably only go back if the bully left. I was bullied along with others in my old job, I couldn’t leave until I finished training. I nearly asked to stay but my friend there who started after me made it seem like they’d asked her to stay so I thought they didn’t want me. Turns out she asked them if she could stay. I did end up asking but then ended up getting another job so didn’t and I’m glad as I would’ve hated to work with the bully. She was a supervisor and ended up having to move to another building as a lot who worked in hers refused to work with her.
I think if I did stay I’d have asked to not work with her, so I think if you can avoid her, work in a different department then maybe go for it?

Does anyone do any freelance work online, through the likes of Upwork or Fiverr? I'd love to sign up but there's a lot of people on there and it sometimes seems that there's always someone who will do the same work for very little money; would love to hear if anyone has had any success on it.

Also, has anyone successfully pivoted roles within the same company before? I've vented on here before about not enjoying my role but liking the company, and I'm weighing up the possibility of moving over to something else, but I'm unsure how to ask or how to play it - I am worried about showing my hand (i.e. letting them know I don't want to do engineering anymore!) before I know that a transition would be possible. The company are good and amendment of roles is possible as they want to keep their people and grow careers there. I am good at documentation/writing/content creation/website/marketing-type things (though I don't know about marketing itself as it seems to require a bit of a sales-y/schmoozing at events type personality which I don't have, or maybe you can do marketing without that side of things?). I have already done writing/creating documentation/competitor analysis pieces/blogs etc in my current role and they know I'm good at it and really value what I have done, so I do think (or hope?!) they would be happy to accommodate this if i make it known, I'm just not sure what my best move should be to try and make it happen.

Does anyone do any freelance work online, through the likes of Upwork or Fiverr? I'd love to sign up but there's a lot of people on there and it sometimes seems that there's always someone who will do the same work for very little money; would love to hear if anyone has had any success on it.
If you're gonna try it, you need to get any thought of winning clients by being the cheapest of the bunch out of your head. The quality of those contractors is Abysmal (yes, capital A), and the only clients you'll attract are the ones that will not value your work and think you should do it for free.

The dispute system is pretty bad with Upwork, they have burned a few good freelancers in the past. I don't know about fiverr but I haven't heard anything bad about it. But do your research. Most people are on both platforms afaik.

And don't forget, freelance isn't just doing the work but schmoozing the clients, too. Lotsa emails, lotsa annoying change requests, working out if what's in the brief is actually what's wanted and needed, etc.

I've had it up to here with our bleeping support manager. Customer is threatening to cancel their contract and asks for a call to sort it. We're going to lose the contract with them if we don't find something to help them but he keeps on pushing responsiblity back to me - mate I'm a lowly support drone and you're the manager here, so get your ass out of your bleeping seat and do your bleeping job, it's not up to me to placate the customer when they're this angry. I tried but it's waaaaaaay out of my area of expertise and they're rightfully pissed off that they're not getting the level of support that they need.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I've had it up to here with our bleeping support manager. Customer is threatening to cancel their contract and asks for a call to sort it. We're going to lose the contract with them if we don't find something to help them but he keeps on pushing responsiblity back to me - mate I'm a lowly support drone and you're the manager here, so get your ass out of your bleeping seat and do your bleeping job, it's not up to me to placate the customer when they're this angry. I tried but it's waaaaaaay out of my area of expertise and they're rightfully pissed off that they're not getting the level of support that they need.
Could you report him to his manager? I would assume that heads will roll if the contract is cancelled and that shouldn’t be on you. Either his manager will take over the case or he will hopefully be reminded of his responsibilities.

Could you report him to his manager? I would assume that heads will roll if the contract is cancelled and that shouldn’t be on you. Either his manager will take over the case or he will hopefully be reminded of his responsibilities.
Well his manager is the CEO, so not really. He's seated firmly in that position and there's nothing I can do but fight it out with him. Fortunately I will not take the blame if we lose the contract, that is not how things work here. But it really grinds my gears because it's so unneccessary to even get to this point. There is no need to frustrate our customers this much - we could do so much better with a few changes but they're not in line with what the CEO wants so we won't even consider it.

Started a new job two months ago. Thought it was my dream job, but I’ve been totally catfished and I hate it. One of the women there is also so horrible. Decided I’m gonna jump ship and start applying elsewhere. Bit nervous about going through the whole process again and how it’s going to look to employers, but I can’t stick it out.

My boyfriend suggested waiting it out for a year, but I cried at the thought of it. So think that says it all ☹

• Heart
Started a new job two months ago. Thought it was my dream job, but I’ve been totally catfished and I hate it. One of the women there is also so horrible. Decided I’m gonna jump ship and start applying elsewhere. Bit nervous about going through the whole process again and how it’s going to look to employers, but I can’t stick it out.

My boyfriend suggested waiting it out for a year, but I cried at the thought of it. So think that says it all ☹
Move on, it's not worth the suffering. Last year I started a new job and it was horrible. But as it was an amazing company and pay all my close friends and family advised me to hold on until a year. I knew I couldn't do it and applied elsewhere after 2.5 months and left after 3 months. The job I moved to is so much better and I'm a lot happier. The funny thing is that the crap company being on my CV got me noticed for my current role and at the interview they were fine with me having not been there long. So my long winded post is basically to tell you to trust your gut and you will hopefully end up somewhere much better :)

• Heart
Move on, it's not worth the suffering. Last year I started a new job and it was horrible. But as it was an amazing company and pay all my close friends and family advised me to hold on until a year. I knew I couldn't do it and applied elsewhere after 2.5 months and left after 3 months. The job I moved to is so much better and I'm a lot happier. The funny thing is that the crap company being on my CV got me noticed for my current role and at the interview they were fine with me having not been there long. So my long winded post is basically to tell you to trust your gut and you will hopefully end up somewhere much better :)
Thank you so much, that’s so positive to read and I’m so happy it worked out better for you! ❤ I’ve been really worrying so I appreciate you taking the time to write that! 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sorry this is just me rambling but I wonder if anyone else can relate, especially if you work in an admin based role. I really struggle with finding meaning in anything I do like I just don’t care about it at all. Nothing I do benefits anyone apart from my employer either, plus the fact I pretty much disagree with everything we do which is probably a big part of the problem as well.

I wish I could switch my brain off and just get on with it but all I can think about every day is how pointless it is and how much I don’t care. It’s so draining.

• Sad
I don’t hate my job but it’s likely they’ll make me change the days I work. I don’t want to change days especially to the ones they will want, maybe I’d be persuaded about others but that won’t be an option. There is another place very close to my house that are looking for a similar job that I’m pretty sure I’d get. But again I don’t want to do the shift pattern they want particularly but I’d rather do it than what my current job will be asking for. I actually really enjoy my job 95% of the time and the other job whilst very similar will be lacking probably the things I enjoy most.
My current job will be there if I hated it and wanted to go back (been advertising for 6 months and no one applied) but I’d lose a huge benefit I currently have if I left and went back.
I’m scared to move as I lost a lot of skills in my current job that I possibly may need there. I think I’ve posted on here before but it’s more likely to happen now. I don’t mind going in and doing extra training to relearn what I forgot as I don’t think it’ll take long as I used to love doing this part of the job, but not doing it in so long makes it scary.
Another thing that puts me off is that I told them I haven’t done that side of the job in so long so I wouldn’t be confident - they told me it’s very unlikely I’d have to do it but then someone else I know who is going to work there told me they said it’s likely it could happen 🤔🤔

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.