Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

50degreesnorth

Chatty Member
I did it! Handed my notice in an hour ago! 🥳

Also I’m old enough not to gaf so I made sure to say that the role was horrid, mis-sold and had a detrimental effect upon my MH.

None of this “it’s been an honour to work here and I’ll treasure the experience” bobbins! 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Tinkerbell cat

VIP Member
Guys - Last year I was in a dead-end job wishing my life away, I would actually hate waking up in the morning and during the walk into work I would literally be counting down the hours until I got home. But I had no drive to want to leave either as my job was handy and close to home, with an early finish on Fridays lol what a silly reason for me to stay in the job.

Anyway, I had a nosey online one night and saw a job I'd applied for previously that I had actually been successful in getting but because of covid, they couldn't give me a start date so hence me ending up in the job I was in. My boyfriend pushed me to apply again and again I got the job so I thought fuck it, I'm going to go for it.

I'm now in this job since January, its full time WFH and I am absolutely loving it - I don't dread logging on in the mornings, I don't dread when we have to meet up in the office now and again, I just genuinely like it and I find the people I work with all really lovely albeit we aren't together every day but its still improved my mental health so much not being in a job I hated, around toxic people and bored to death.

So honestly, if you can, take that jump - look online every single night, apply for anything or everything that you have the skills for and think you would enjoy. Its easier said than done but honestly one of the best things you will ever do is leave a toxic work environment. We spend so much of our time working, and it can really mentally drain the life out of you.

Reading some of your posts brings back so many memories for me and some of the horrible places and environments I worked in.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

User_name_100

I used to be on this thread end of 2022, I had a boss who pretty much hated me and made my life hell. I resigned with no job to go to, which obviously was a big decision. I have struggled through the past few months, working freelance to earn enough to at least eat.

I just wanted to come back and say that I thought the future looked bleak back in December and in the first month of 2023. I was struggling to see through the 'fog' and thought I had fucked up any chance of a career but last week I was offered a job with a competitor company, on a higher salary and in a company which has a much bigger scope for promotion..

I hope my ex-boss is silently seething LOL 😅

(This post isn't honestly meant for bragging or anything, just wanted to write it down in case anyone else is in the same position as I was!)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Jaceydooley

Love my job, HATE the management! No empathy or support and you’d think my place of work would be somewhere empathy should be given on tap 🤦🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 22

User_name_100

I've made the decision to resign today.
Had a good chat with my mum last night about it all. Felt good to get it off my chest.
What I've described on here has only really been a small part of the issues I've had at work. Personally I believe I've been a hard worker, got on well with people etc but the problems with my manager have just become unbearable.
I have savings I can live off until I'm working again and to be honest I'd happily take anything just to be earning again.
I also have the horrific fear he will fire me so I want to get in there first, especially as it'll be easier to explain to new employers. I've only been there under a year so technically I can be let go without reason (as long as it's not discrimination).
Just want to say thank you to everyone on here. My mental health is shot at the moment but it's been good to use this place as a sounding board.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Jadejones9596

Got the job I interviewed for which was the one I desperately wanted! I’m beyond happy, excited and relieved! Better pay, working environment, team! Counting down the days of my notice period now!
Have a lovely weekend everyone x

• Heart
Reactions: 21

JustRelax

At a point in my life where I honestly don't know what to do. I'm a teacher and have always wanted to be a teacher and I've been teaching the last seven years and now......the last thing I want to do is teach. I am so over it. But that's what I'm qualified to do.

Even if I went back to school, I still have no idea what I want to do. I'm really struggling right now.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

Codiaeum

VIP Member
The beautician is using you, please leave this job. There are red flags all over this, from no contract, changing perks, changing location, disregard for whether you can actually work for her, etc. I’d write a short note explaining that I will no longer be able to work for her, give her a date by when expect to be paid and then bye bye. She will continue to use your free work.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

House of Tea

VIP Member
I am a feminist, big supporter of women and their achievements but just putting this out there…

I hate working for women. There I said it. Working with men has been exasperating, with some patronisation and some sexism, but I will take that over the pettiness, bitchiness and micro-aggressions of women any day. I just needed to vent. It’s exhausting, and trying to keep on their good side (in a way I have never had to do with a male boss) is exhausting and contributing massively to my anxiety levels. Women are supposed to be supportive but unfortunately I find them the complete opposite. Men have never helped me particularly, but they have never gone out of their way to hinder me either. I wish I did not feel this way but I am a product of my experiences.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18

User_name_100

I find out my fate today. I need a handhold really as I feel sick. I'm too anxious to even switch on my work laptop.
I'm so frustrated/upset that my boss thinks it's acceptable to leave me hanging like this. I feel awful mentally.
HR have been no help whatsoever unfortunately.

...the only good thing is I have an interview tomorrow for a job which pays more and has better flexibility alongside a much better commute. I personally believe in the whole "sometimes things happen for a reason" and I'm really hoping this is the case.

Still...handhold needed 😕

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
Sorry this is such a long post.

I've been at my new job 3 weeks and I already hate it. I enjoy the work but there's nothing to do, I could get my whole days work done in about 2 hours and the people are vile. I get ignored all day, even when I make an effort to talk to people. Someone else started the day after me and they've been going out the way to get to know her and make conversation but I'm still being ignored. A staff member came off mat leave yesterday, noticed the other new one went over her and spent aged talking to her then came up to the woman that sits next to me, pointed at me and asked who I was. I was too shocked to speak at that point 😂 We had a team meeting last week where we had to introduce ourselves and when I started talking people got up to go to the coffee machine and have their own conversations. I'm trying to not let it bother me but going the whole day without talking to anyone does wear me down.

The other day one of the higher ups asked if I could schedule a meeting for one of the teams and when I did one of them started ranting about whoever did this is an idiot (she knew it was me and she knew I could hear her) and kept on ranting about how confusing the calendar invite was and when I told her it was me she replied "and why did you take it upon yourself to get involved, no one asked you to do so", I told her who had but she just grunted at me then complained to my manager because apparently its none of my business, even though its literally my job. I did wonder if there's a problem with me like not being approachable but I've never had an issue like this anywhere else I work. My other colleagues constantly complain about fat people and my ethnic group and how they hate them, I try to tune it out but the woman next to me is the worst for it so its a bit difficult. Oh and to top it off I didn't get paid yesterday like I should have and there's no one in the office to ask about it until Monday. I'm trying to grit my teeth and push though but I think being called an idiot was my final straw.
I say this kindly, but fuck that. If there is any HR tell them about the discriminatory remarks. If not, leave asap or immediately if you can afford to. To me, it wouldn't be worth jeopardising my mental health to stay. What a toxic cesspit. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through that.

• Heart
Sorry this is such a long post.

I've been at my new job 3 weeks and I already hate it. I enjoy the work but there's nothing to do, I could get my whole days work done in about 2 hours and the people are vile. I get ignored all day, even when I make an effort to talk to people. Someone else started the day after me and they've been going out the way to get to know her and make conversation but I'm still being ignored. A staff member came off mat leave yesterday, noticed the other new one went over her and spent aged talking to her then came up to the woman that sits next to me, pointed at me and asked who I was. I was too shocked to speak at that point 😂 We had a team meeting last week where we had to introduce ourselves and when I started talking people got up to go to the coffee machine and have their own conversations. I'm trying to not let it bother me but going the whole day without talking to anyone does wear me down.

The other day one of the higher ups asked if I could schedule a meeting for one of the teams and when I did one of them started ranting about whoever did this is an idiot (she knew it was me and she knew I could hear her) and kept on ranting about how confusing the calendar invite was and when I told her it was me she replied "and why did you take it upon yourself to get involved, no one asked you to do so", I told her who had but she just grunted at me then complained to my manager because apparently its none of my business, even though its literally my job. I did wonder if there's a problem with me like not being approachable but I've never had an issue like this anywhere else I work. My other colleagues constantly complain about fat people and my ethnic group and how they hate them, I try to tune it out but the woman next to me is the worst for it so its a bit difficult. Oh and to top it off I didn't get paid yesterday like I should have and there's no one in the office to ask about it until Monday. I'm trying to grit my teeth and push though but I think being called an idiot was my final straw.

• Sad
  • Wow

goosecat

I left an office job to be a train signaller and honestly it was the best thing I’ve very done. I used to dread every single Monday morning but now I never have to think about work outside of work, that’s such an underrated part of the job!

• Heart
  • Wow

Okgolightly

VIP Member
I hate my job. I’m a teacher in a secondary school. Behaviour is terrible- regularly getting called a bitch and a cunt by kids, even got pushed by one last term and senior leadership do nothing. Feel like all I do is moan but everyone’s in the same boat at work. Feel truly miserable about going back tomorrow.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

bcfc999

Chatty Member
Honestly, we get shouted at most of the day by the public & it's just not worth it. The fact that I wake up every day knowing its going to be a tough day due to our lack of staff & the level of work we have to do, each person is having to do the jobs of 3 people so its exhausting. GP receptionists get so much stick, yet its the partners who make the rules. People think we just answer the phone & that's it 😂 I have been looking elsewhere while I've been off but nothing has come up as yet but I will continue to look.
I really think as part of work experience kids should have to do a week in retail and as a receptionist. Obviously will never happen 😂 but people just have no idea and think they can treat everyone like shit. What happened to treating others as you'd like to be treated?
---
I had an interview today but don't think I got it. I was really nervous beforehand but it went better than I feared, I just think they were after someone with more experience than I have. Fingers crossed I somehow got it though cos my current job is doing my head in :(
I got the job!!!!

• Heart

ghoooppp

I handed in my notice on Monday after a horrendous few months at a start up company. They headhunted me and everyone else there and completely lied about the job, saying it’s flexible and remote etc when it’s not at all as well as so many other lies. It’s a tiny company and in a matter of months I have seen 15 people walk out within a few days of starting or get fired on the spot. It has honestly been awful 😞 going back to my old job now.

• Heart
  • Sad

pandysbox

I posted on this thread about work related stress last year and how I was considering throwing in the towel before they offered my a different role that wasn’t people management

I’m a few days into my new role and honestly I have sat like a fart in a trance for the last 2 day. I think I’ve gone into shock from having free time and not constantly working over capacity

Please please please consider a change of role if you are feeling stressed. It’s just not worth overworking yourself for a job

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

House of Tea

VIP Member
Just need a rant on here. So I’ve lost quite a bit of weight since January, just over a stone and two colleagues all of a sudden being off with me. Smile at her and say hi and she looks away with an annoyed face but I catch her staring at me all the time. It’s making me feel uncomfortable and I haven’t done anything to her. Dunno if I’m overthinking but I will just try to avoid interacting with them
That happens to me when I lose weight. As long as you aren’t walking around with a T-shirt on saying I look great, you look like a heifer on I would crack on and leave them to their jealousy. For that is what it is. People don’t like it when you step out the box they had placed you in their heads. Their issue, not yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 15