Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd recommend a mixture of agency and direct.

The benefits of an agency (I've temped for a fair bit) are that they can get you in the door to places that usually have a convoluted recruitment process (I worked at a university on a fairly long-term FTC via a local agency, HR were known to be absolute nightmares for direct recruitment but mine was a simple Teams IV and then started the following week). If it suits you as well it's an opportunity to try out a variety of things; granted I completely understand if you're not in a position to do this and you'd rather have temp to perm/perm straight away! Agencies do offer the two I mentioned, but you will find it's a lot of simple temp contracts that have a set end date.

However there are a fair few cowboys out there along with the job market - so I'd recommend a thick skin and realistic expectations if you do go down that route. Just speaking from experience over the past few years - I'd often get ghosted by agencies at phonecall stage and even after I'd taken the time out to interview with a client.

Direct - you have the benefit of being employed with the company itself - so depending on the industry it's better benefits, pension, holiday allowance etc.

I do find it varies r.e. part-time depending on what industry you'd like to go in - are you open to trying something else? Schools, colleges and universities often have part-time roles which could suit your schedule.

In regards to selling yourself - it's hard! Have you got anyone that will realistically look at your CV/experience in a work sense? I know there are services that offer paid evaluations but personally...there are so many templates out there and so many ways of doing this. Plus I've seen quotes before of £400+...ouch!
Agree that there are some cowboy agencies but if OP gets a good agency (look out for independents) they will give you really good CV advice.

I'd recommend a mixture of agency and direct.

The benefits of an agency (I've temped for a fair bit) are that they can get you in the door to places that usually have a convoluted recruitment process (I worked at a university on a fairly long-term FTC via a local agency, HR were known to be absolute nightmares for direct recruitment but mine was a simple Teams IV and then started the following week). If it suits you as well it's an opportunity to try out a variety of things; granted I completely understand if you're not in a position to do this and you'd rather have temp to perm/perm straight away! Agencies do offer the two I mentioned, but you will find it's a lot of simple temp contracts that have a set end date.

However there are a fair few cowboys out there along with the job market - so I'd recommend a thick skin and realistic expectations if you do go down that route. Just speaking from experience over the past few years - I'd often get ghosted by agencies at phonecall stage and even after I'd taken the time out to interview with a client.

Direct - you have the benefit of being employed with the company itself - so depending on the industry it's better benefits, pension, holiday allowance etc.

I do find it varies r.e. part-time depending on what industry you'd like to go in - are you open to trying something else? Schools, colleges and universities often have part-time roles which could suit your schedule.

In regards to selling yourself - it's hard! Have you got anyone that will realistically look at your CV/experience in a work sense? I know there are services that offer paid evaluations but personally...there are so many templates out there and so many ways of doing this. Plus I've seen quotes before of £400+...ouch!
Thank you so much for taking the time. This is really useful. I'm always up for a new challenge and luckily pick things up quick (even at my age 😆 )

I think I'll do what you suggest and do a combo of direct an agency. I;m in the lucky position where a job is not a must but because I find it fulfilling

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Don't hate it yet but getting to that point. I work in social services and I'm very close to burn out. I have amazing colleagues and work close to home so its not all bad but the work itself is thankless and I'm getting fed up of the constant abuse. I'm in college training for something else and that's keeping me going but it will be another few years before I'm able to make a full career change but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I work in the same industry, changed teams to see if it was the team/specific role there or the job/career. I think it's the career. I don't hate it....I do love to help people, but yeah the abuse, the dramatics, the constant fear of complaints and having to document every step does my anxiety no favours but...

I've absolutely no idea what else I could do. There's only so much of a paycut I could take as I'm solely responsible for my house/bills (and have no family I could move in with as they all died over the past few years) which definitely adds to the panic/anxiety of being stuck here or struck off for something (to note I am by the book and know this wouldn't happen but...anxiety lol). What else could I actually do? What course are you doing?

Reactions: 1
I work in the same industry, changed teams to see if it was the team/specific role there or the job/career. I think it's the career. I don't hate it....I do love to help people, but yeah the abuse, the dramatics, the constant fear of complaints and having to document every step does my anxiety no favours but...

I've absolutely no idea what else I could do. There's only so much of a paycut I could take as I'm solely responsible for my house/bills (and have no family I could move in with as they all died over the past few years) which definitely adds to the panic/anxiety of being stuck here or struck off for something (to note I am by the book and know this wouldn't happen but...anxiety lol). What else could I actually do? What course are you doing?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't leave but do you think some CBT for your anxiety might help? Even if you do leave, it would be lovely not to have that hanging around your neck as I bet you are good at your job and have no reason to fear being struck off x

• Heart
I'm not saying that you shouldn't leave but do you think some CBT for your anxiety might help? Even if you do leave, it would be lovely not to have that hanging around your neck as I bet you are good at your job and have no reason to fear being struck off x
CBT/talking therapy/medication never worked for me. To be fair they're not the best methods for anxiety. It's definitely more trauma related which then triggers so I am looking into more specific support for the trauma side

CBT/talking therapy/medication never worked for me. To be fair they're not the best methods for anxiety. It's definitely more trauma related which then triggers so I am looking into more specific support for the trauma side
I'd be really interested to hear what method you decide to go with. I've got quite severe anxiety and cbt never worked for me either. I re referred myself and they've just suggested intensive cbt again..

I’m really struggling to care tbh, I’m on minimum wage at an admin job and I’ve asked for a pay rise for the last couple months and been told it’s all in hand. Now suddenly there’s a “company wide” pay review and so it’ll take longer.
I don’t really feel guilty about scrolling my phone or browsing the web during work hours because they’re not paying me enough to give a tit.
I’ve applied for other jobs and am just waiting to hear back but is it just me or is admin severely underpaid? I swear it never used to be this bad

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'd be really interested to hear what method you decide to go with. I've got quite severe anxiety and cbt never worked for me either. I re referred myself and they've just suggested intensive cbt again..
I've emailed a hypnotherapy type lady who offers a free call so will message her and see what that entails (as I imagine hypno requires switching off your mind too which with anxiety does not happen lol)

• Heart
They offer CBT because its cheap, just like the NHS.

It has a success rate of about 10% but trying to get proper therapy costs, NHS rarely have any consistency either. Know this from a relative who had to have a year of private therapy when the NHS psychiatrist moved and their replacement refused to treat because the patient didnt want to take drugs -just discharged them and they were put back into the CBT loop which we knew was inneffective.

Some therapists do offer reduced rates for low or no income but even £20 when on basic benefits is unaffordable for many who need it most.

Reactions: 2
I've emailed a hypnotherapy type lady who offers a free call so will message her and see what that entails (as I imagine hypno requires switching off your mind too which with anxiety does not happen lol)
I loved hypnotherapy, hope it will help. My lady also did EMDR so look into that if you’d like. Normally used for PTSD.
Although I did it ad well. I could recommend my lady if you like. She does do online services as well

I loved hypnotherapy, hope it will help. My lady also did EMDR so look into that if you’d like. Normally used for PTSD.
Although I did it ad well. I could recommend my lady if you like. She does do online services as well
There is definitely an element of PTSD. It's been part of my trigger this time ending up near a place where all the bad happened without realising it so I'll try anything to not live this way!

I am a feminist, big supporter of women and their achievements but just putting this out there…

I hate working for women. There I said it. Working with men has been exasperating, with some patronisation and some sexism, but I will take that over the pettiness, bitchiness and micro-aggressions of women any day. I just needed to vent. It’s exhausting, and trying to keep on their good side (in a way I have never had to do with a male boss) is exhausting and contributing massively to my anxiety levels. Women are supposed to be supportive but unfortunately I find them the complete opposite. Men have never helped me particularly, but they have never gone out of their way to hinder me either. I wish I did not feel this way but I am a product of my experiences.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I formally asked to move teams a month ago after being on the same team with some of the same people for 10 years. Can't stand the manager and I've been put in a box and not given the same opportunities to progress as other people on the team despite having way more experience than any of the others on the team. I was also treated pretty badly on my return to wark after mat leave in January, I wanted to leave my first day back.

My request was accepted and now I'm moving onto a new team with a new manager and all new work. I've known the managers for years and they are all very nice and seem happy to have me on the team. Just hoping that I won't regret the move as I had a look at some of the work they will be having me do and its a lot more complicated and in the one area u don't have experience in. They are bringing me in as a senior member of the team with quote high expectations that I'm going to check other people work so I'm nervous. I don't want them to think I'm tit basically 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@House of Tea I get you - with female managers and colleagues I find the cliqueyness so exhausting. Never seen that in a more male environment and generally, I find men often less petty just for the sake of being petty.

I've posted here before how my job isn't great, particularly for one person in my team. I've raised the issue in December and still nothing really and I don't get support about it. If anything, I think the direct manager is afraid of this person and is hiding behind the fact that they think the whole team must expose the person for the tit-stirring they're doing.
But even apart from this person, the company is odd somehow. I left my old job due to the unreasonable working hours and stress it put me in but th grass really isn't greener on the other side, it's just another shade of weed. Now I have great working hours, but the weirdest colleagues, cliques forming, a gaslighting arsewipe in my immediate team and a company that overall seems to lack direction. Walked past my old office this week and nearly started crying, ffs! I don't want to go back there, really (and can't, no openings), but that surely is a sign that it's not right where I am. Started looking for something new a bit more earnest today, but I'm in Tech and there aren't loads of openings near me... those layoffs last year and this year still have repercussions. Plus I prefer remote and since I'm not in Berlin or another major city, that crosses out all the "hybrid" ones as well that require you to come in regularly.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I hope you find something that works for you, anxiety really does suck

• Heart
@House of Tea I get you - with female managers and colleagues I find the cliqueyness so exhausting. Never seen that in a more male environment and generally, I find men often less petty just for the sake of being petty.

I've posted here before how my job isn't great, particularly for one person in my team. I've raised the issue in December and still nothing really and I don't get support about it. If anything, I think the direct manager is afraid of this person and is hiding behind the fact that they think the whole team must expose the person for the tit-stirring they're doing.
But even apart from this person, the company is odd somehow. I left my old job due to the unreasonable working hours and stress it put me in but th grass really isn't greener on the other side, it's just another shade of weed. Now I have great working hours, but the weirdest colleagues, cliques forming, a gaslighting arsewipe in my immediate team and a company that overall seems to lack direction. Walked past my old office this week and nearly started crying, ffs! I don't want to go back there, really (and can't, no openings), but that surely is a sign that it's not right where I am. Started looking for something new a bit more earnest today, but I'm in Tech and there aren't loads of openings near me... those layoffs last year and this year still have repercussions. Plus I prefer remote and since I'm not in Berlin or another major city, that crosses out all the "hybrid" ones as well that require you to come in regularly.
What's your exact job description? I work for a German tech company but 100% remote, maybe I can send you some links or at least some company names?

• Heart
What's your exact job description? I work for a German tech company but 100% remote, maybe I can send you some links or at least some company names?
Ohh, that would be lovely, thank you so much!
I'm a Product Manager with a background in language processing - sorry, need to keep it a bit vague like that because there aren't too many 😂

• Heart
Ohh, that would be lovely, thank you so much!
I'm a Product Manager with a background in language processing - sorry, need to keep it a bit vague like that because there aren't too many 😂
Aight don't worry, totally get you :)

I'll just throw out links, have a look if anything might fit. I know pretty much all of them do 100% remote jobs, maybe something will pop up for you.

I know people who worked at those companies before (or still work there) - the only one I heard that can be quite difficult is Canonical, it entirely depends on the team you land in and how far removed you are from the big boss, but of course having it on your CV will look great. The others I only heard good things.

Then there's also https://devjobs.de/ which I've tried before, quite nice to use. If I filter for "language processing" and "fully remote" I get 5 results: https://devjobs.de/jobs/search?text=Language+processing&workingModels=full-remote

Good luck!!!!!

• Heart
Omg, thank you so much @tomato_paste!

And in case not known yet: TrueUp is a search engine for jobs in Tech, all sorts of positions. I discovered it yesterday and found it quite interesting and quicker to use than Indeed or LinkedIn. Not overly much for Germany-based, but I think if you're flexible or US-based this is a very good addition to any job-hunting.

• Heart
I don’t hate my job but the culture doesn’t seem to fit my personality.

People enjoy being in people’s business all the time. People over share and some do not respect boundaries. Everything you say or do will be fed to the next person. They do everything together (lunch/breakfast/afternoon tea and even exit the office together in the evening).

If we turn our camera off for 5 minutes during a large conference call with 300 or more people, we get a pinged being told ‘please keep your camera on’.

Apparently, there’s also been talks about people being encouraged to have lunch together as an effort to socialize. Lunch is an unpaid hour and therefore should be off limits.

If you join a generic call with about 20 other people and you don’t ask questions, the host of that call will inform you manager that you haven’t engaged during the call even if you’re actively listening. Then your manager will start asking you why you didn’t ask questions.

I was told today to be more ‘open’. I’m very professional and to the point, but apparently I’m not open enough (i.e, don’t spend my time making small talk and cracking jokes).

These are minor examples, but I feel this is like a frat in the workplace and is disguised micro-management. They’re making me feel bad to be who I am (professional but private and not a cling on).

I’m contemplating looking for a new job but I don’t really know what to do.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.