Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone work as or have experience as a maternity care assistant? I’m a new graduate who has just completed a science degree at a Russell group university who’s really been struggling to find a job and the only interview I’ve gotten so far is for this role. The pay is really low, only band 2 but a job is a job and I’m not sure what to expect! I have no idea if this is something I want to do but I could really use the experience and money so just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or experience. Open to good or bad experiences. Thanks!😊

Reactions: 1
Does anyone work as or have experience as a maternity care assistant? I’m a new graduate who has just completed a science degree at a Russell group university who’s really been struggling to find a job and the only interview I’ve gotten so far is for this role. The pay is really low, only band 2 but a job is a job and I’m not sure what to expect! I have no idea if this is something I want to do but I could really use the experience and money so just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice or experience. Open to good or bad experiences. Thanks!😊
I’d say a low paid job is better than no job! Go for it. Good luck 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve seen a lot of new graduates say recently they are struggling to find jobs. I agree with a job is better than no job. The next employer will look at the fact that you showed willing.
I can’t comment on the actual job you are applying for but goodluck!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I got offered an interview a few days ago for a role I never thought I’d be qualified for, I replied asking to clarify if it was permanent or fixed term and had no reply. Job hunting is so frustrating!!!

I got offered an interview a few days ago for a role I never thought I’d be qualified for, I replied asking to clarify if it was permanent or fixed term and had no reply. Job hunting is so frustrating!!!

❤ Take the interview, ask the question there directly. You can very often get many more answers when you're in the room and they can't dodge you.
And congrats on getting the interview in the first place! We so often assume that we wouldn't be qualified, but honestly, the "wish list" is more often than not way over the top and nobody could possibly check all boxes.

Reactions: 3
That might be due to it being school hols. I agree with the poster above re the wish list - if someone ticks every box some interviewers will assume they will bore of the role quickly too, and would rather have someone who they can develop into the role, you just never know! Good luck, I hope you go for it :)
---
I used to love my job, and everyone was so lovely. There have been quite a lot of changes and new faces, and it's turned really toxic. One colleague makes a total tw*t of themself almost on a daily basis with ridiculous complaints/pass agg emails...I'm wondering do I sit back and watch the drama unfold or get out? It's decent money but always on my mind. I actually used to look forward to Mondays and now the Sunday scaries are a regular part of my weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I ended up emailing the recruiter to check the shift pattern was correct and it was. I also emailed her some questions on Thursday but she hasn’t replied yet. I haven’t had a chance to apply yet and got offered an interview for another job. It’s Tuesday next week so I think I’ll see how that is then decide whether to apply or not. The interview I have is a work from home job but it’ll be a 3k pay drop for the higher end of the pay on the advert. I couldn’t do any less than the higher end of the salary and I don’t have any experience with the actual job so I don’t know if they’d give me the higher end. I have 5 years of experience in the industry though. But there is 170 applicants indeed says so I’m not holding much hope.
---
My work is making me hate it more this week, I’m very annoyed. I told them I couldn’t work late this week but they never found cover which meant I had to change my shift as there was no other choice

Glad I found this thread - I had a read through a while ago but not posted.
I, whilst going through a bereavement, accepted a job offer from a family friend without asking any questions about the role, other than ‘what are the working hours’. Sounds stupid huh! Hard to explain but they are the type of person to look after you well for life, so the general consensus is that if you get offered a job it’s a good (or so I thought) idea to take it.
Unfortunately though, I hate forms and numbers…..and the job is 99% forms and numbers 😂
The whole package is fantastic in terms of pay, wfh a few times a week, bonuses, great pension and great colleagues etc but FML how do people stick a job they hate when the rest of the package is so good 😩

Hey! New to the tread but looking for advice. I’ve just been offered a new role within the same company. It’s a step up but the salary is only 5k more, I make the same doing the odd few hours overtime however the banding goes up 11k more then what I’m on now. Issue is they have now said the new role will be 4 days in office instead of the two I do now. It will also be shift work with early starts and late evenings 6am-10pm and working some weekends. This wasn’t on the job advert.

I’m not sure what to do. I need a new role and something I can progress within but I also value my time!!!

I would have to get a second car as I also car share and working those shifts would make that impossible.

What would you do? Anyone been in same situation

• Heart
Hey! New to the tread but looking for advice. I’ve just been offered a new role within the same company. It’s a step up but the salary is only 5k more, I make the same doing the odd few hours overtime however the banding goes up 11k more then what I’m on now. Issue is they have now said the new role will be 4 days in office instead of the two I do now. It will also be shift work with early starts and late evenings 6am-10pm and working some weekends. This wasn’t on the job advert.

I’m not sure what to do. I need a new role and something I can progress within but I also value my time!!!

I would have to get a second car as I also car share and working those shifts would make that impossible.

What would you do? Anyone been in same situation

I haven't been in your situation, but overall, it sounds like a bad deal to me, to be honest. I understand that you would like to move up, but from the description that upwards movement isn't giving YOU any value, just the company.
Even if you had a second car already, you'd be spending extra time in the office (which you might not want), doing shift work, which is hard on the body and can make your daily life a lot more complicated, plus weekends. All for 5k extra that you can earn right now anyway.
5k will hardly get you a second car, much less petrol, insurance, etc.

Do you think you could try to negotiate for more? Especially if this wasn't on the advert at all, I find it quite sneaky and who know what else isn't listed that only comes out after you agree... I think I would decline, unless they offer you substantially more.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I haven't been in your situation, but overall, it sounds like a bad deal to me, to be honest. I understand that you would like to move up, but from the description that upwards movement isn't giving YOU any value, just the company.
Even if you had a second car already, you'd be spending extra time in the office (which you might not want), doing shift work, which is hard on the body and can make your daily life a lot more complicated, plus weekends. All for 5k extra that you can earn right now anyway.
5k will hardly get you a second car, much less petrol, insurance, etc.

Do you think you could try to negotiate for more? Especially if this wasn't on the advert at all, I find it quite sneaky and who know what else isn't listed that only comes out after you agree... I think I would decline, unless they offer you substantially more.

Thanks for your reply, you’re right and I’m such a home body. I do struggle being in the office two days as it is. I could negotiate I’ve just never done it before so not confident.

The job advert said hybrid no mention of hours but I was aware of the opening hours. It was in the interview they told me they had decided to open longer. I feel like I’ve wasted so much time on this.

• Sad
The jobs I've truly hated in the past have always been for small companies, too much work, long hours, not enough holiday. I'd never work for a small company again unless my mortgage depended on it.

Reactions: 7
I hated my last job. I had to take ill health retirement. It was a massive relief. I'd love to work part time but my health is really bad.

• Heart
Does anyone suffer with imposter syndrome? I love my job just not the people I work with, would yous start looking for something else?

Does anyone suffer with imposter syndrome? I love my job just not the people I work with, would yous start looking for something else?
Yes! I ALWAYS get really good feedback about my work and performance yet also ALWAYS feel I've somehow pulled the wool over their eyes and one day they'll realise I'm actually useless! As for the latter, if I liked the job but just didn't have much in common with those I work with I'd stay, if they are plain unpleasant I'd look for something else as I think thats symptomatic of a bad work culture. People should be polite and generally well behaved at work.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For me it's the opposite. I hate the job, it's completely not what I have applied for or expected, but I was desperate when taking the position so I agreed without much thinking, I do feel overqualified for it, sorry if it makes me sound bad. The people in the team are brilliant though. I wish I could take them with me since I'm quitting next month. I am not a social person at all yet working with amazing people is a really different experience, even if the job was not it, I enjoyed the whole time I've spent working at my current company, completely unexpectedly tbh. The main takeaway from this job for me was really that a great environment makes such a huge difference! Looking for something new made me both value this more and also afraid that I'll never find a team of co-workers I fit in with so well. Coming to terms with the idea that I can't stay for the people was hard and I'm kinda afraid of what will come next lol

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I kinda feel this is the best thread to post in but not really related to hating my job.
Next year I need to start looking for a new job and don’t know where to start. I’ve been in the same position with the same company for 20 years.
I have no clue how to “sell” myself. Is the best thing to join a recruitment agency or should I just apply directly?
On a side note are there lots of part time jobs available as I wouldn’t want to go back to full time?

They are just not my sort or type of people, have zero in common, I ask them all the time about their families, kids etc & they never ask about mine. It’s like I feel I couldn’t be far enough away from them, hence my body just being in fight or flight mode. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I kinda feel this is the best thread to post in but not really related to hating my job.
Next year I need to start looking for a new job and don’t know where to start. I’ve been in the same position with the same company for 20 years.
I have no clue how to “sell” myself. Is the best thing to join a recruitment agency or should I just apply directly?
On a side note are there lots of part time jobs available as I wouldn’t want to go back to full time?
I'd recommend a mixture of agency and direct.

The benefits of an agency (I've temped for a fair bit) are that they can get you in the door to places that usually have a convoluted recruitment process (I worked at a university on a fairly long-term FTC via a local agency, HR were known to be absolute nightmares for direct recruitment but mine was a simple Teams IV and then started the following week). If it suits you as well it's an opportunity to try out a variety of things; granted I completely understand if you're not in a position to do this and you'd rather have temp to perm/perm straight away! Agencies do offer the two I mentioned, but you will find it's a lot of simple temp contracts that have a set end date.

However there are a fair few cowboys out there along with the job market - so I'd recommend a thick skin and realistic expectations if you do go down that route. Just speaking from experience over the past few years - I'd often get ghosted by agencies at phonecall stage and even after I'd taken the time out to interview with a client.

Direct - you have the benefit of being employed with the company itself - so depending on the industry it's better benefits, pension, holiday allowance etc.

I do find it varies r.e. part-time depending on what industry you'd like to go in - are you open to trying something else? Schools, colleges and universities often have part-time roles which could suit your schedule.

In regards to selling yourself - it's hard! Have you got anyone that will realistically look at your CV/experience in a work sense? I know there are services that offer paid evaluations but personally...there are so many templates out there and so many ways of doing this. Plus I've seen quotes before of £400+...ouch!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.