Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just a vent…

I was sitting in a meeting today in the office and a delivery man walks past the room, wheeling in some rolls and cleaning supplies. I felt so envious of him! No meetings or calls or corporate nonsense.. I think I’d be so much happier doing something like that.

Some of us did some volunteering work recently which involved weeding, brushing etc and I really enjoyed it, I was so happy being outside and doing something physical, I was putting the effort in and I could see the results and I found it so satisfying- I can’t say the same for my corporate job where everything just feels like meaningless words and unimportant.

I feel like I’m in a job that isn’t “me” and I feel guilty for wishing for something that others would see as lower. I wish I knew what to do with myself!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you all. I’m going to apply for it!
So I didn’t get the job. A bit gutting initially but going through the application and interview process has given me the kick up the arse I needed to keep applying for things and get out of my current place!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Don’t know whether to apply for a new job. I like my current job but I’m convinced they are going to make me change my day to days I don’t want to do. This other job will allow me to do the days I’m doing now.
But I’ll be working alone and it won’t include the subjects that most interest me. Although what I enjoy the most does change often and one subject I’d be doing at the new job was my favourite at one point.
I can probably get the same money I’m on now. They’ve said they can train me on something I’d need to do but currently struggle with. I think I’d also offer to go in on my day off for a few hours every now and then to get retrained on something I’ve forgotten about just incase id need to do it as I’m worried I’ve forgot it - although they did say I probably won’t need to do it however id just like a refresher anyway as it would be good if I needed to find a new job in the future.

It’s also close to my home, around a few m in utes more than my current job which I wouldn’t find again. I also am a bit worried as my current job has been quiet recently
What does your gut instinct say? I would apply anyway then see from there. You don’t have to offer to do training on your days off, unless it is acknowledged you will be paid for your time.
---
Just a vent…

I was sitting in a meeting today in the office and a delivery man walks past the room, wheeling in some rolls and cleaning supplies. I felt so envious of him! No meetings or calls or corporate nonsense.. I think I’d be so much happier doing something like that.

Some of us did some volunteering work recently which involved weeding, brushing etc and I really enjoyed it, I was so happy being outside and doing something physical, I was putting the effort in and I could see the results and I found it so satisfying- I can’t say the same for my corporate job where everything just feels like meaningless words and unimportant.

I feel like I’m in a job that isn’t “me” and I feel guilty for wishing for something that others would see as lower. I wish I knew what to do with myself!
Forget about if it’s seen as lesser. You need to do what feels right for you. You don’t have to do everything in one go though.

Just start looking into possible ideas. How much is the difference in salary? What adjustments would it require etc ?
---
So I didn’t get the job. A bit gutting initially but going through the application and interview process has given me the kick up the arse I needed to keep applying for things and get out of my current place!
Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m starting to feel that it’s not about hating the job, it’s the people that are around you that are the problem. This may be just my case.

I like my job. I enjoy the work etc but I have this manager and he’s just so bleeping lazy and clearly goes through the motions just to collect his pay cheque at the end of every month. It’s people like that who make the environment tit as they’re a bad apple and it affects those around them.

If the manager isn’t effectively leading everyone else hasn’t got a clue and it goes to tit. Just wish he’d duck off but he’s got it so cushy.

I’ve just see a role that is a whole grade higher but I fit the criteria. It’s the same sector just a different organisation. Down side is its fixed term but I’m really considering applying and seeing if they’d consider this as a secondment opportunity.

Reactions: 3
What does your gut instinct say? I would apply anyway then see from there. You don’t have to offer to do training on your days off, unless it is acknowledged you will be paid for your time.
---

Forget about if it’s seen as lesser. You need to do what feels right for you. You don’t have to do everything in one go though.

Just start looking into possible ideas. How much is the difference in salary? What adjustments would it require etc ?
---

Onwards and upwards.
I don’t think I’m going to apply. Also the training says I wanted to do more for myself than anything as it would give me confidence back in areas I haven’t done since training for potentially other jobs in the future

I'm really starting to struggle with my team.
I left my old job mostly to the amount of stress and ridiculous hours I was putting in year after year. My team though was great and I genuinely loved the product I was working for.
Now I'm in a job I like, with an okay product but it's my immediate team that really isn't it. No matter what you do, it's not right. They say one thing, and you do it, apparently, that also wasn't what they wanted, you stop doing it, they ask for it again, etc... it's been an endless circle of that.

The team was in a rough state when I started, they had a bad manager. The manager got laid off in January, we get a very decent one since then and I loved that guy, he's great. And struggling just as much as I am.
I confided in a colleague in the same position as me, a different team, she's also struggling. I've only been in the company since September, so not long at all. The workload is more than fine, I'm quite often actually bored. I actually enjoy finishing my day at 5, 5.30 and I don't want to go back to 8, which is what it used to be. Compensation is good, nice amount of vacation days, etc. The job overall is good, it's really just this team.
I'm sure the workload wouldn't be this low if I didn't have such a wimpy team. And they have sooo many feelings at work! And then guilt-trip you by saying that they couldn't sleep, etc, when trying to raise some points.

My "problem" is that I'm in a niche-y tech area. I'm the only one in my team with actual experience in the subject matter, the other people were hired before I came. I'm also the only woman on the team. I have a feeling that they're very salty about someone sitting there that doesn't treat them like a bleeping unicorn and actually knows my stuff. Honestly, they shouldn't work on that subject and look elsewhere. It always makes me very nervous if people are told to engineer around stuff they neither understand nor care about and essentially just "apply". Because it's never just that and the justification of my team is getting less and less every day because of exactly that problem, they simply don't deliver on what customers are asking for.

• Heart
  • Sad
Going through one of those phases again where I’m considering making the move from an admin based role to a care/support role.

I’m so fed up of being sat at a desk, tap tap tapping away at my computer all day, staring at a screen and feeling numb by the end of the day because I’ve barely moved for 8 hours. My job is easy and I’d say fairly paid for what I do, but it’s so unfulfilling. Every day is the same monotonous crap and this may sound dramatic but - I don’t feel like I’m making a difference in the world. I want to help people and feel good about what I do. I don’t give a rat’s ass about Microsoft Office!

I already work in the NHS so have access to so many different roles. I scroll through the different job listings everyday but am yet to bite the bullet and apply. I guess I’m a bit worried that I won’t be good at being a HCA/HSW but you learn on the job and with experience, right? If I did make the move I’d want to work my way up to nursing but again am worried I’d be a tit nurse! I’ve always been in an admin role or behind the scenes so the thought of being responsible for another human terrifies me. I’ve never had to look after anyone before except myself and it’s up for debate whether I’m actually good at looking after me or not😂

Admin is so lonely. I don’t feel a close connection with my colleagues because we’re all kinda working on our own thing, not really needing input from one another. They’re also only in the job for a wage and not interested in making friends or bonding with anyone which is totally fine but I would love to make more friends! I’m only 30 and have a small friend group outside of work and rarely see them. It would be nice to feel closer to those I spend my days with. Christ I’ve been in my role a few years now and don’t even have anyone’s phone number!

Ugh I don’t know. I’ve had these thoughts numerous times now and I never know what to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm really starting to struggle with my team.
I left my old job mostly to the amount of stress and ridiculous hours I was putting in year after year. My team though was great and I genuinely loved the product I was working for.
Now I'm in a job I like, with an okay product but it's my immediate team that really isn't it. No matter what you do, it's not right. They say one thing, and you do it, apparently, that also wasn't what they wanted, you stop doing it, they ask for it again, etc... it's been an endless circle of that.

The team was in a rough state when I started, they had a bad manager. The manager got laid off in January, we get a very decent one since then and I loved that guy, he's great. And struggling just as much as I am.
I confided in a colleague in the same position as me, a different team, she's also struggling. I've only been in the company since September, so not long at all. The workload is more than fine, I'm quite often actually bored. I actually enjoy finishing my day at 5, 5.30 and I don't want to go back to 8, which is what it used to be. Compensation is good, nice amount of vacation days, etc. The job overall is good, it's really just this team.
I'm sure the workload wouldn't be this low if I didn't have such a wimpy team. And they have sooo many feelings at work! And then guilt-trip you by saying that they couldn't sleep, etc, when trying to raise some points.

My "problem" is that I'm in a niche-y tech area. I'm the only one in my team with actual experience in the subject matter, the other people were hired before I came. I'm also the only woman on the team. I have a feeling that they're very salty about someone sitting there that doesn't treat them like a bleeping unicorn and actually knows my stuff. Honestly, they shouldn't work on that subject and look elsewhere. It always makes me very nervous if people are told to engineer around stuff they neither understand nor care about and essentially just "apply". Because it's never just that and the justification of my team is getting less and less every day because of exactly that problem, they simply don't deliver on what customers are asking for.
Oh yeah, sounds "great" just winging tech stuff, that never comes out wrong now does it 🙄 honestly the audacity of men.

Sorry you have such a tit team! Are you willing to talk to someone higher up to move teams? Is that even a possibility? Are you maybe even willing to go all in and talk to manglement about building your own and getting the right people with the right qualifications?

I'm sure you could find another job that is good with work hours and has nice- ish people soon enough, tech jobs are aplenty. Never forget its an employee job market right now and you can and should ask for everything you need and want without holding back - men apply for positions where they fit some of the criteria all the time, but women only do it when they fit the profile 100%.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh yeah, sounds "great" just winging tech stuff, that never comes out wrong now does it 🙄 honestly the audacity of men.

Sorry you have such a tit team! Are you willing to talk to someone higher up to move teams? Is that even a possibility? Are you maybe even willing to go all in and talk to manglement about building your own and getting the right people with the right qualifications?

I'm sure you could find another job that is good with work hours and has nice- ish people soon enough, tech jobs are aplenty. Never forget its an employee job market right now and you can and should ask for everything you need and want without holding back - men apply for positions where they fit some of the criteria all the time, but women only do it when they fit the profile 100%.
Thank you ❤
I have brought up the situation with my manager multiple times and they are aware of it, but I suspect they don’t recognize the extent. I’ve hinted that I’m interested into going back to a position that is closer to where I came from, and my manager was understanding. But I doubt there’s anything in my company and if, it would be in the US, which wouldn’t work out. Might need to be more blunt and upfront about this topic.
I know my team manager is aware and we chat about this problematic daily and I think I need to tell him just how bad it has been for me. I know he has brought it up to his manager and the skip manager. Pretty bad that it has gotten that far up, but the team has honestly been in a dire state since it was put into existence. I’m planning to ask the skip manager for a meeting, he is very kind and I feel like I can trust him.

I honestly don’t know how much longer I give it though. I initially thought three years would be a minimum, but now I’m nit sure anymore. Started looking at jobs today and saw one from a company that I would be interested in working for. I’ll keep them at the back of my head for future consideration.
I don’t want to go the Freelance Route, as I wouldn’t know what services to offer and your don’t have a lot of social contact to begin with. I fear being Freelance would make me a total hermit hence not wanting to do that, but the prospect keeps looking better.

• Heart
Just a vent…

I often used to watch the bloke cutting the grass outside my office on the ride on mower and long for his job. Outside in the sunshine, making things look nice and then going home again.

Not sure a manual labour job is exactly what I want but like you staring at a screen cooped up all day isn't either.

Basically I want to be like Jeremy Clarkson's girlfriend. I want to buy a farm and have excellent people run it while I potter around on a little tractor, doing little jobs, mowing fields, collecting eggs, chatting to the cows.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Basically I want to be like Jeremy Clarkson's girlfriend. I want to buy a farm and have excellent people run it while I potter around on a little tractor, doing little jobs, mowing fields, collecting eggs, chatting to the cows.
This is completely achievable but requires a lottery jackpot win first. And you don't have to sleep with Jeremy Clarkson, which seems like a bonus.

Also very Marie Antoinette vibes (tho I don't remember a tractor in the film)

Good luck, I hope it happens!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
This is completely achievable but requires a lottery jackpot win first. And you don't have to sleep with Jeremy Clarkson, which seems like a bonus.

Thanks Sheeeet, I keep buying those lottery tickets, but so far the big win has proved elusive 😞 but God loves a tryer.

• Haha
I LOVE what I do (self employed) but I LOATHE all of the admin/paperwork that goes with it.

Want to outsource, but #controlfreak

I LOVE what I do (self employed) but I LOATHE all of the admin/paperwork that goes with it.

Want to outsource, but #controlfreak
What do you do Eggs? I would love to be self employed but I think I would prefer the paperwork to hunting down the clients. Also in a brief episode of freelancing I could not bear chasing payments.

Yesss gimme that Stardew Valley life. Sounds like a dream tbh.

Reactions: 1
What do you do Eggs? I would love to be self employed but I think I would prefer the paperwork to hunting down the clients. Also in a brief episode of freelancing I could not bear chasing payments.
I'm a hypnotherapist :)

LOVE it - but loathe the admin 😆

I used to hate my job and really wish that I had done something different and worthwhile, that I would love going to everyday. Now that I’m retired Ive got the best job in the world!
I know it’s not for everyone but I love it!

• Haha
I've worked at my job for 7 months now and I quite like my actual role, but I don't like the people I work with (most of them are cliquey and unfriendly). A couple of my colleagues are nice, but I feel like I don't fit in there, although at the same time I don't care about that, and I wouldn't care if I was let go tomorrow. I also don't really like the customers. It's a small-ish shop so it feels like being in a fishbowl.

I have a week off this week, and I already feel anxious to go back there this weekend. I feel tempted to hand in my notice, even though I don't have anything lined up... Also, I am only part-time and I really need to work a full-time role again. I'll be 30 next year, but I feel like I'm living the life of a teenager. However, I was glad to to get this job because it got me out of the predicament I was in after losing my old job at the beginning of the pandemic and struggled to find something permanent. I still miss my old job.😞

I live in the outer London area but it doesn't seem like there's many opportunities around here, especially since I don't drive...

I'm not interested in a career, I just want something half decent that will pay the bills, like a lot of people. I'm actually hoping to move out of London in the future. But for now, I don't see much of a future for myself. I live with my parents so I know I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about paying the rent at the moment. I understand that people are in a lot worse situations than I, so I'm sorry if I sound spoiled or anything. I just wanted to vent.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.