Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So my therapist told me I have exhaustive depression and need to sign off for two weeks at least to recuperate. But something won't let me even though I'm not getting anything done at work anyway. It sucks and I feel like I'm drowning tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So my therapist told me I have exhaustive depression and need to sign off for two weeks at least to recuperate. But something won't let me even though I'm not getting anything done at work anyway. It sucks and I feel like I'm drowning tbh
Please take this time off, your therapist has your best interests at heart, not your work's. If you're feeling worried about having a stack of things you come back to at work, remember that while it may not get done by you, it'll eventually get done or wasn't that pressing anyway.
Is there anybody at your work you could talk to to come up with a plan to give you the rest you need and make sure you have a good experience coming back? Some employers have a special HR line for this, but often it can just be your manager.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve not read the full thread so sorry if this has already been spoken about. Has anyone changed job and taken a cut in wages just to get out of their current place? Was it worth it?

My workplace is a toxic cesspit and a minority of bitchy horrible colleagues make it almost unbearable. I’ve seen a job I’d really like to apply for but the drop in wages would be the only drawback. I could afford to take the risk right now but there’s always that worry in the back of my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve not read the full thread so sorry if this has already been spoken about. Has anyone changed job and taken a cut in wages just to get out of their current place? Was it worth it?

My workplace is a toxic cesspit and a minority of bitchy horrible colleagues make it almost unbearable. I’ve seen a job I’d really like to apply for but the drop in wages would be the only drawback. I could afford to take the risk right now but there’s always that worry in the back of my mind.
I have. I left a job I hated for a pay rise, and then hated that job even more, so found another job for less money which I LOVE and am still here 5 years later (and now on £15k more!!!)

Reactions: 8

An ex colleague left his senior management role and took a £30,000 pay cut for an easier life. If youll happier out of that place then it’s worth it.

• Wow
Reactions: 6

Yes, I left a job to another with a pay rise of £35k. I lasted 3 months there. It was horrible and not worth the money. I took a pay cut coming to the job I am in now but it is still an overall pay rise.

To me, money is not worth suffering in a horrible job. However, you do need enough to cover expenses. If the pay cut is doable, then go for it!

I’ve been offered another job 😀 my new employer has asked my manager for a reference about 2 weeks ago. Manager hasn’t replied to the request, new job has emailed me asking me to remind manager to reply, I’ve forwarded the email but no reply, there is no reason that they can’t give a reference for me I don’t know what to do

• Heart
I’ve been offered another job 😀 my new employer has asked my manager for a reference about 2 weeks ago. Manager hasn’t replied to the request, new job has emailed me asking me to remind manager to reply, I’ve forwarded the email but no reply, there is no reason that they can’t give a reference for me I don’t know what to do
I would go and physically ask your manager to do it. And if he/she get's funny about it just remind them they lawfully have to provide one.
Regardless of their response I would let the new company know that your boss is being awkward about it

Reactions: 2
How do you approach leaving a job and colleagues you mostly dislike? I've got last day coming up, unfortunately i will be in the office for the last day, but 2/3 team will be WFH. I'm only female in team of males and generally its quite cliquey environment which i have never fit in with, doesnt help that i'm quiet reserved private person anyway. The only other staff member who left shortly after i arrived had been there years and sent out long email and teams message talking about their time at company, good memories etc. The thing is i have none of that and thought of sending such message makes me feel uncomfortable. I have no relationship with these colleagues, dont plan on keeping in touch and new job didn't require references from this employer anyway. Is it incredibly rude to say nothing more than in person basic goodbye to those in office on day i leave. I cant lie to save my life, so there is no way i can say its been great working with you, thanks for been supportive, when its been nothing of the sort!
Be as brief as you like. Don't be fake and kid on it's been great if it hasn't.

Whenever I leave my current job,(I hope it's soon) I'll be telling them a few home truths on my last day.

Maybe it's a bit cold but who gives a duck,are you going to see these people again?

I went and got signed off until 9th of June and by the goddess does it feel amazing not having to think about work, not having that constant pressure and agonzing needling of not having done enough with my day at the back of my mind. What a relief!

• Heart
I’ve just been let go of a job I started earlier this year. Shortly after starting it I found out I was pregnant (yay) I also have a long standing disability but manage it reasonably well. Everything was going well & I passed my 3month review.

But then I started to feel really poorly with 1st trimester & really struggled with a new job and to just keep going but I was honest about it and my manager never said to me she was concerned about my work and said she supported me to my face. Next thing I know I’m pulled into a probationary review, given 3 weeks to improve (which I have and naturally because I’m not being sick all the time etc) but they still came up with silly reasons and stuff other people do but get away with! The job was incredibly toxic and sold as “fast paced” but really it’s just inefficient people and processes making everything so drawn out that it becomes frantic rush. Also people in my team seemingly giving feedback about me to my manager on things that I know I’ve never done. So much back stabbing going on too. I know I’m not the first in the team to come and go quickly with a condition or disability and won’t be the last!
So now I’m pregnant and jobless 😢. I feel so ashamed.
Anyone else been here? I think I’m gonna have to look for temp work, but who is going to employ a pregnant person?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve just been let go of a job I started earlier this year. Shortly after starting it I found out I was pregnant (yay) I also have a long standing disability but manage it reasonably well. Everything was going well & I passed my 3month review.

But then I started to feel really poorly with 1st trimester & really struggled with a new job and to just keep going but I was honest about it and my manager never said to me she was concerned about my work and said she supported me to my face. Next thing I know I’m pulled into a probationary review, given 3 weeks to improve (which I have and naturally because I’m not being sick all the time etc) but they still came up with silly reasons and stuff other people do but get away with! The job was incredibly toxic and sold as “fast paced” but really it’s just inefficient people and processes making everything so drawn out that it becomes frantic rush. Also people in my team seemingly giving feedback about me to my manager on things that I know I’ve never done. So much back stabbing going on too. I know I’m not the first in the team to come and go quickly with a condition or disability and won’t be the last!
Anyone else been here? I think I’m gonna have to look for temp work, but who is going to employ a pregnant person?
Could you do some Virtual Assistant work? I don’t think it’s that well paid if you work for an agency but at least you can work from home at your own pace

Reactions: 2

Speak to ACAS, you might be able to make a claim for discrimination.

Don’t know whether to apply for a new job. I like my current job but I’m convinced they are going to make me change my day to days I don’t want to do. This other job will allow me to do the days I’m doing now.
But I’ll be working alone and it won’t include the subjects that most interest me. Although what I enjoy the most does change often and one subject I’d be doing at the new job was my favourite at one point.
I can probably get the same money I’m on now. They’ve said they can train me on something I’d need to do but currently struggle with. I think I’d also offer to go in on my day off for a few hours every now and then to get retrained on something I’ve forgotten about just incase id need to do it as I’m worried I’ve forgot it - although they did say I probably won’t need to do it however id just like a refresher anyway as it would be good if I needed to find a new job in the future.

It’s also close to my home, around a few m in utes more than my current job which I wouldn’t find again. I also am a bit worried as my current job has been quiet recently

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice... I currently work in sales (Account Management). My salary is okay, could be great with commission however it's very hit and miss due to the nature of the job. I have worked in sales for 7 years and aside from pretty much zero progression, both my roles have TOXIC management and I'm at the point I just don't want to do it anymore.

I really don't know how to branch out in to a new career, I am feeling very lost and wondered if anyone's ever been in a similar situation or any advice on career moves?

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice... I currently work in sales (Account Management). My salary is okay, could be great with commission however it's very hit and miss due to the nature of the job. I have worked in sales for 7 years and aside from pretty much zero progression, both my roles have TOXIC management and I'm at the point I just don't want to do it anymore.

I really don't know how to branch out in to a new career, I am feeling very lost and wondered if anyone's ever been in a similar situation or any advice on career moves?

Thanks in advance!
Why not look for a similar job elsewhere? You don't have to pivot into a new career unless you fancy a complete change, in that case I would advice talking to a careers counsellor to see where else your skills can be used

Reactions: 1
Apologies for the negativity and whinging. I moaned about my old job and I’ve moaned about my new one. I mentioned the girl who is training me up isn’t interested. Luckily, someone else has got involved and is so much better. He’s a similar age, so we’re on the same wavelength.
Anyway, the team leader has been away for over a week and it has definitely become more noticeable how cliquey the girls on the team are. The one who is meant to be training me is rude, short, and ignores me and has not involved me when she and the apprentice have gone for lunch. They wait for me to leave the desk and disappear etc or ignored me when I’ve asked if anyone has any plans for lunch. I really shouldn’t care as I’m 14 years older than her, but I know for a fact it will all change then the leader is back and she’ll be sweetness and light and I’ll be included again.
I’ve worked in department stores with plenty of women and never felt like this before.
Like i said, I shouldn’t let it get to me, but I feel like asking her what her problem is! I just need to vent 🤣

I might add, I wouldn’t want to spend every lunch break with kids anyway. All the talk about is tiktok and mind numbing shite. It’s just how they go about it, being snide.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.