Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How do you approach leaving a job and colleagues you mostly dislike? I've got last day coming up, unfortunately i will be in the office for the last day, but 2/3 team will be WFH. I'm only female in team of males and generally its quite cliquey environment which i have never fit in with, doesnt help that i'm quiet reserved private person anyway. The only other staff member who left shortly after i arrived had been there years and sent out long email and teams message talking about their time at company, good memories etc. The thing is i have none of that and thought of sending such message makes me feel uncomfortable. I have no relationship with these colleagues, dont plan on keeping in touch and new job didn't require references from this employer anyway. Is it incredibly rude to say nothing more than in person basic goodbye to those in office on day i leave. I cant lie to save my life, so there is no way i can say its been great working with you, thanks for been supportive, when its been nothing of the sort!
Agree with LibraDee, politely say goodbye on the day and leave. You don't have to do more than that and it sounds like doing more than that would make you feel disingenuous.

Reactions: 3
How do you approach leaving a job and colleagues you mostly dislike? I've got last day coming up, unfortunately i will be in the office for the last day, but 2/3 team will be WFH. I'm only female in team of males and generally its quite cliquey environment which i have never fit in with, doesnt help that i'm quiet reserved private person anyway. The only other staff member who left shortly after i arrived had been there years and sent out long email and teams message talking about their time at company, good memories etc. The thing is i have none of that and thought of sending such message makes me feel uncomfortable. I have no relationship with these colleagues, dont plan on keeping in touch and new job didn't require references from this employer anyway. Is it incredibly rude to say nothing more than in person basic goodbye to those in office on day i leave. I cant lie to save my life, so there is no way i can say its been great working with you, thanks for been supportive, when its been nothing of the sort!
I would still send a short email, just a quick "Thank you all for the opportunity of working with you".

You never know who you'll meet 10, 15 years down the line in your career, a polite acknowledgement makes you seem graceful amd responsible.

Reactions: 2
I start my new job tomorrow! Thank you to the tattlers giving me advice when I was fretting over silly things 💗 🤣 for once I don’t have the Sunday night dread (on a Monday night)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Anyone have tips on completely changing careers. Am a lawyer but just find the job too stressful especially post covid. I have changed firm's and the new place is lovely but my heart isn't in the job anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Anyone have tips on completely changing careers. Am a lawyer but just find the job too stressful especially post covid. I have changed firm's and the new place is lovely but my heart isn't in the job anymore.
I would imagine you have loads of transferable skills. Why not go and see a good recruiter who can ralk you through the options available

Reactions: 2
Hi all! After reading all your accounts of crappy jobs/coworkers/bosses I feel less alone in my misery.
I started my current job just over 10 months ago and it was so promising. I was told I would be supported with getting an official qualification, that processes and teams were stable but all that has turned to rubbish. About a month ago, half the senior leadership in my department were fired and my team was taken apart and put into different teams altogether. Most of the work I do has been redistributed to other people and I am starting to worry about being made redundant.
It’s really affected my mental health as there is nothing constant that I can kind of cling to.
I know I really need to leave the place so I was wondering how long it has taken some of you to find new employment? I’m so daunted by just getting constant rejection and feeling like what I do isn’t good enough.

Hi all! After reading all your accounts of crappy jobs/coworkers/bosses I feel less alone in my misery.
I started my current job just over 10 months ago and it was so promising. I was told I would be supported with getting an official qualification, that processes and teams were stable but all that has turned to rubbish. About a month ago, half the senior leadership in my department were fired and my team was taken apart and put into different teams altogether. Most of the work I do has been redistributed to other people and I am starting to worry about being made redundant.
It’s really affected my mental health as there is nothing constant that I can kind of cling to.
I know I really need to leave the place so I was wondering how long it has taken some of you to find new employment? I’m so daunted by just getting constant rejection and feeling like what I do isn’t good enough.
Ah that sounds a shame, I hate it when restructures ruin teams, I've seen it happen 3 times, one at each place I've worked 😱. I would say look online for jobs each day, for say half an hour, rather than spend your whole weekends looking; if you are consistently checking you'll start to see what's just been posted compares to yesterday, and it won't take too long to catch the newest posts, etc . If the company you work for has more departments is there a chance of transferring? Also one friend of mine had good help using a recruitment firm who did a lot of the searching for him.

I know it must feel horrible now but I'm sure you are good enough ☺ I think it's best to see job hunting as a game, you have got to be in it to win it, make some applications and see where it gets you. Good luck 👍

• Heart
I would imagine you have loads of transferable skills. Why not go and see a good recruiter who can ralk you through the options available
Thank you, I need to do something. I feel really down and a bit lost at the moment. Been studying law since my A-levels so its been my focus for 20 years. I know I can't carry on now, my feelings towards the job haven't changed since moving firms.

Is there an area you're specifically interested in or are you more looking to generally get away from your job and not minding right now where it takes you?
Lawyers have so many skills that could be transferred to e.g. project management, documentation, I bet technical writing would also work (lawyers are meticulous in phrasing thing exactly the way they're meant!), to name just a few. And keep in mind that many companies also have corporate counsels, which might be an area you can explore, if that's not what you're trying to get away from. I work in Tech and semi-regularly talk to our corporate counsels about all sorts of things about e.g. licenses, how I should read a document, etc. They're pretty cool and mostly here for us as advisors, not people that have to defend someone in court all day.

Reactions: 1
The last time I was in this situation, it took about 3 months from deciding I wanted to leave, to starting my new role (I only needed to give a months notice but gave a bit more as I actually really liked the people there, I just hated the job).
I've edited to say, if you are feeling daunted at the thought of a job search already and that this is affecting your mental health, I would tackle that as soon as you can whether that's by going to your GP or meditation or whatever you need to do to get yourself in a good place. I actually felt a lot more positive once I had made the decision to leave and that lifted a big weight for me but everyone and their situation is different so please take good care of yourself. And remember there are plenty of people here who understand if you need to vent.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Good Luck, hope all goes well
Hmm I’m only 2 days in and the person who is meant to be training isn’t being helpful in any way! I’m spending time sat next to her but she’s not telling me why does does xyz, how you do it, how often it gets done etc it’s as if I’m not there. I’m asking questions, but I’d rather she sat with me and went through it all instead of working away like I’m not there. I’m assuming she didn’t put herself forward and was appointed to do the training, and tbh, it get the feeling she doesn’t enjoy her job and it’s a chore. The thing is, the senior member of the team is sat next to her and doesn’t seem to be taking any notice. I want to have a word with her but I don’t want to rock the boat when I’ve not even done a full week. I’m feeling frustrated and like a spare part.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I'm in a similar predicament. Passive aggressive colleagues, who spend the day complaining, but won't train me up to take some of their slack.

Hmm I’m only 2 days in and the person who is meant to be training isn’t being helpful in any way! I’m spending time sat next to her but she’s not telling me why does does xyz, how you do it, how often it gets done etc it’s as if I’m not there. I’m asking questions, but I’d rather she sat with me and went through it all instead of working away like I’m not there. I’m assuming she didn’t put herself forward and was appointed to do the training, and tbh, it get the feeling she doesn’t enjoy her job and it’s a chore. The thing is, the senior member of the team is sat next to her and doesn’t seem to be taking any notice. I want to have a word with her but I don’t want to rock the boat when I’ve not even done a full week. I’m feeling frustrated and like a spare part.
I would say something. It’s nothing personal against your colleague, but maybe they could find someone else to train you or have a word with her and see what the problem is. It shows that you’re keen and it’s awful to be bored at work watching the clock!

Got the job I interviewed for which was the one I desperately wanted! I’m beyond happy, excited and relieved! Better pay, working environment, team! Counting down the days of my notice period now!
Have a lovely weekend everyone x

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Got the job I interviewed for which was the one I desperately wanted! I’m beyond happy, excited and relieved! Better pay, working environment, team! Counting down the days of my notice period now!
Have a lovely weekend everyone x
+

So happy for you, good job :love: I hope you have only a few weeks left!

I helped my sister with a new job application. She's already in the NHS system, but applied for a new role in a sexual health clinic.

She doesn't dislike her current job which she started 5 months ago, but wants to progress . She's 23 and just finished her degree in April.

Is it too soon to start applying?

She also kept her old part time job at a big fast food chain which she does one day a week on Saturdays.

Reactions: 1
I leave my job on the 2nd June I don't have anything lined up so will.take a break for a while 🙂
I have actually stipulated categorically that I didn't want any kind of presentation or fuss even after 23 years. I thought I had got away with it now im told hr have contacted people still in the business and out (through my linked in) to make a video. It sounds ungrateful on the face of it but it's all for internal pr not me. Several colleagues told them I wouldn't want but they won't listen and I can't stop it as its a surprise.

Has anyone also declined an exit interview ?in my situation there's nothing to be gained but hot air from it.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.