Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you.

I've always had poor mental health (although I've had long periods where I've been OK). This whole situation has really affected me and I can feel myself spiralling.

With the high(ish) turnover in my department I have a gut feeling this has happened before with previous members of staff. My boss seems to be the 'gatekeeper' of my department and I have a feeling if he feels your face doesn't fit then he doesn't want you there.
Seriously, get signed off. This guying is toying with you. Your health is everything. You don’t owe them anything more, you owe it to yourself to take care of you.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m wondering if the reason my manager is so nippy is because she’s on a performance review.. she’s said a few times how she is in “enough trouble” with the partners, there is “lots going on you don’t know about” and “everything we do is being watched”. Bit strange.

I still hate wfh and have been trying to find a firm that makes the dept/team go into the office on the same day each week but it seems to only be smaller firms, so less exciting clients/work. Tricky!

Reactions: 2
I actually hate my job today, sat at home alone - feeling like crap with increasingly demanding emails coming through, saying snarky things.
The more work that comes through the harder it feels to get anything done - my head is spinning.
Very much feeling sorry for myself sobbing through email replies - has anyone got any tips for instant distress and re-focus 🫠.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Rant incoming -

My supervisor is paid 8K a year more than me, we do the same work - in fact, I do way more.
She moved from outbound logistics to inbound purchasing at the exact same time as I did two years ago - so arguably, her knowledge of Purchasing is as good as mine.
Our old boss was a control freak and documented the work each of us did on a monthly basis, when I had 12 months of evidence that our workload was the same/I was doing more, I took it to my yearly review and managed to get a pay rise - well, half and now the difference between us is 4K.

This month, I have 8 open jobs plus 2 side projects whereas she has 3.

She's been off sick this week and caught up on work today, during which, she sent me one asking me to do a job that someone else had already agreed to do and copied a bunch of managers.

I responded: 'Thanks. Myself and A had agreed, during Tuesday's meeting, she would follow this up and send the quotation requests.'

I understand she could assume that this job hadn't been done because she hadn't seen an update, but her response is to consistently delegate work to me, rather than use her 'experience' - that the business is paying her more money for and speak to a supplier herself? :rolleyes:

I actually hate my job today, sat at home alone - feeling like crap with increasingly demanding emails coming through, saying snarky things.
The more work that comes through the harder it feels to get anything done - my head is spinning.
Very much feeling sorry for myself sobbing through email replies - has anyone got any tips for instant distress and re-focus 🫠.
Remind yourself what you're paid in comparison to the CEO's and that they're paid to worry, not you ;)

I’m wondering if the reason my manager is so nippy is because she’s on a performance review.. she’s said a few times how she is in “enough trouble” with the partners, there is “lots going on you don’t know about” and “everything we do is being watched”. Bit strange.

I still hate wfh and have been trying to find a firm that makes the dept/team go into the office on the same day each week but it seems to only be smaller firms, so less exciting clients/work. Tricky!
Sounds like she's under scrutiny, for sure. I do three days a week in the office, rota between two teams and Wednesday is the day "everybody is in" - works pretty well but like you say, we're a small team of 8 people.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
This is how I spend a lot of my days too. I swear emails have got more snarky in the last few years since wfh. It’s like people have forgotten there’s a real person at the receiving end?!

I find a constant stream of dairy milk helps 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1
This is how I spend a lot of my days too. I swear emails have got more snarky in the last few years since wfh. It’s like people have forgotten there’s a real person at the receiving end?!

I find a constant stream of dairy milk helps 😅
Also, try and take everything non personally. Not being sarcastic. But it works for me. I am an over thinker. But what works for me is taking things at face value, even if someone is full of snark, I respond in bullet points, quite coldly and impersonally. I don’t pander to people but I don’t make things worse by taking umbrage. I do do the occasional, oh do duck off you thick cow to myself. I am only human.

• Haha
Our place you get promoted if your the biggest biatch or the loudest in the room!

Reactions: 4
Got to vent a bit about retrospectives. I always feel somewhat personally attacked after one in this team and I absolutely hate it. I've been here for four months, of which nearly four weeks were all business travel and then all my onboarding, how the duck to people think I could get the work that was dormant for almost a year done in that time? Yet it's an "action item" for me. duck off, honestly. It's not like I don't know it needs doing, but it simply isn't done yet and it's not helping to constantly have half the team off if they also all want to have a say in everything.

• Heart
(sorry for double-posting)

:ROFLMAO: vented a bit more about said action item above to some lovely colleagues who joined around the same time as I did in the same role and aired my grievances about my weird team and got a lot of support from them, they are my people! Also was told that it's not me being unreasonable to feel attacked by being slapped with some action items like that. Felt good to hear that.

• Heart
It was something that I went into with my eyes wide open but I thought it would be for the short term and a stepping stone to better things
It’s not looking that way though and I think I’m feeling a bit trapped

I think I would like to stay in the company though but not in this role and as such I’ll have to see what’s available in other departments. Some decisions to be made in the new year I think

I’ve been told that a new role will be available for me in the new year as an SME analyst again. I won’t be moving department and I won’t be directly managing people. It’s a Win Win!

I can’t explain how relieved I am.

I learned a lot as a manager, the experience really has been invaluable but I can hand on heart say that type of manager role I’m currently doing is not for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have been experiencing similar for the last year. I have been in he same firm.for 23 years (started as office junior moved up through the years as people left and now manager) and there has been a recentish change of the guard. There seems to be a low level.assault on legacy staff who don't or won't share the new crappy happy clappy vision. Two senior head managers have left in the past year both had has stress as a result of work in thr past 2 years because of this new culture (one for 3 months) , who are finance and IT (these were allies of mine) Other staff have simply quit.

I was signed off with anxiety and stress and burnout recently for 2 weeks and noth.ings changed

Im a very risk averse person by nature My heart says I should leave and take some time out (no commitments like kids)but thats a big decision.... . After 23 years your almost institutionalised which makes it scary!!

• Heart
I have been experiencing similar for the last year. I have been in he same firm.for 23 years (started as office junior moved up through the years as people left and now manager) and there has been a recentish change of the guard. There seems to be a low level.assault on legacy staff who don't or won't share the new crappy happy clappy vision. Two senior head managers have left in the past year both had has stress as a result of work in thr past 2 years because of this new culture (one for 3 months) , who are finance and IT (these were allies of mine) Other staff have simply quit.

I was signed off with anxiety and stress and burnout recently for 2 weeks and noth.ings changed

Im a very risk averse person by nature My heart says I should leave and take some time out (no commitments like kids)but thats a big decision.... . After 23 years your almost institutionalised which makes it scary!!
Do not let them bully you out of a job. Can you speak to HR?
The alternative is to go down the constructive dismissal route. If you keep record of what is going on for proof you’ll have a strong case

Do not let them bully you out of a job. Can you speak to HR?

The alternative is to go down the constructive dismissal route. If you keep record of what is going on for proof you’ll have a strong case

Without going into too much detail, HR are just as much the issue and are not well regarded, They referred to as part of a dream team by the new guard and kiss ass 24/7 so in a way that's futile.

I don't really want to be there now, though its sad after all the hard work I've put in. I just to find the confidence to tell them where to go. I'm a good honest worker who has never made waves but you're no better thought of.

• Heart
Does work make anyone else feel physically ill?
I finish for maternity in feb and being treated so weirdly by my employers that I already have anxiety, feel sick & my heart is racing at the thought of work on Wednesday.
All Christmas I’ve felt good (very tired!) but pretty good in myself, now I’m already feeling like I want to cry and sleep for a month 😭
Thoughts with those also feeling the same! May we find better jobs in 2023 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I hate my job. I’m a teacher in a secondary school. Behaviour is terrible- regularly getting called a witch and a bleep by kids, even got pushed by one last term and senior leadership do nothing. Feel like all I do is moan but everyone’s in the same boat at work. Feel truly miserable about going back tomorrow.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.